• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl - More balanced than Melee? Lie or truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coraircate

Smash Cadet
By being able to see your deaths, I meant that as one of the reasons I enjoy this game a little better. That way a five year old won't be swearing at the TV and giving his mom a heart attack. I just feel that the changes made to the game were for the better, and you have four different control schemes, and you can pick which one you're most comfortable with.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
By being able to see your deaths, I meant that as one of the reasons I enjoy this game a little better.
I still don't know what this means. "Being able to see your deaths"?

That way a five year old won't be swearing at the TV and giving his mom a heart attack. I just feel that the changes made to the game were for the better, and you have four different control schemes, and you can pick which one you're most comfortable with.
And this equals balance how?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
By being able to see your deaths, I meant that as one of the reasons I enjoy this game a little better. That way a five year old won't be swearing at the TV and giving his mom a heart attack. I just feel that the changes made to the game were for the better, and you have four different control schemes, and you can pick which one you're most comfortable with.
o.o;

But...five year olds with short tempers will do that anyway. Swear and blaspheme the television screen if they're losing, I mean.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. That is ultimately what the thread is about. (HUGE EDIT: /SARCASM)

*crickets chirp.*

Right guys?

Smooth Criminal

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i think he means you can watch exactly how you went off the stage rather than blink and you wer star KOed. oh and on changes for the better Ganon, Link, Samus,....... the list goes on have something to say about that >_>

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You have to remember that l-cancelling helped the slow characters more than the fast characters. Fox's nair in melee had like...8-10 frames of lag (talking out of my *** now) and it went to 4-5. Link's Dair had 40 frames of lag, which is reduced to 20, much better for the slower characters. So the advanced techs ended up helping the lower end characters than the higher end.

Mega_$m@sh

Smash Journeyman
I love how you mentioned two fighters that aren't actually the pinnacle of balance themselves. You could have brought up Street Fighter or Guilty Gear.

That said, this post is terribly wrong.

1. We don't use items. Why did you bring this up?
2. Slayer has no weapon in GGXXAC and he's the third best character in the game. Eddie has no weapons and he is the best. Traditional fighter that breaks your own rule. Thus Brawl doesn't really need to follow it.
3. Most of these stages are banned, and the ones that aren't have little to no randomness and are easily avoidable / easily learnable.

Stop using this as an excuse for being a scrub at Smash (Because it's pretty obvious that you do).
Exactly, see the amount of rules compared to just pick up and play fighting games it's too much of a hassle! I meant fighters that don't involve weapons or super powers just hand to hand combat.....lolz

P.S. The last thing I am in this game is a scrub, and you just made an *** out your self for ASSuming how good I am

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Exactly, see the amount of rules compared to just pick up and play fighting games it's too much of a hassle! I meant fighters that don't involve weapons or super powers just hand to hand combat.....lolz

P.S. The last thing I am in this game is a scrub, and you just made an *** out your self for ASSuming how good I am
those rules are there to make it more like a competetive fighter. other wise its just a party game with alot of people playing it for money. as for fighters that don't involve super powers or weapons hmm Soul Caliber, GG, Naruto GNT4, and SF all involve super powers and weapons of some sort.

Mega_$m@sh

Smash Journeyman
those rules are there to make it more like a competetive fighter. other wise its just a party game with alot of people playing it for money. as for fighters that don't involve super powers or weapons hmm Soul Caliber, GG, Naruto GNT4, and SF all involve super powers and weapons of some sort.
And [no offense] as you can see none of them are played in any Pro Leauge
like CGS or [MLG - which I believe is biased toward shooters any way...lolz]

Also that's why I mentioned at least 2 which are hand to hand combat because so many do use Super Powers and Weapons lolz - I'm just saying

Mega_$m@sh

Smash Journeyman
DOA 4 is on the Championship Gaming Series - Virtua Fighter is not on **** yet...lolz

I think VF is not on any League yet because it has stage outs.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
what does the CGS has to do with what fighters are played competetively?

Edit: also in your first post you mentioned VF so if your saying it doesn't count as much as DOA then why mention it at all? also you said the CGS is biased against shooters and is probably biased agaisnt alot of other games too.

Mega_$m@sh

Smash Journeyman
what does the CGS has to do with what fighters are played competetively?
Really nothing.....okay then let's squash this - I was just saying that those fighters you mentioned are not played in any Pro Leagues lolz.

That's really all, I don't hate this game and the fact is no matter how many rules you slap on it, it still is just a party game.

All the rules we put on this game is all good [ I understand and feel the same way- for money I wouldn't want a side scrolling stage to kill me] why we don't just play stages that have fair ground where nothing random hurts you is beyond me - [I'm sure you can give me logical reasons why and help me see the light...lolz.]

I said [MLG is baised toward shooters] lolz Which means they put more shooters on there line up than any other genre lolz. [Just clearing that up] srry for the misunderstanding I though you would catch the brackets.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Now that you mention it... What is the deal with MLG and shooters?

Also, I am not sure if this helps answer your question, but... Stages with walk-off edges give an insane advantage to characters that have a chain grab. So even without painful random elements they would be banned. Walls create infinities which is why stages with them are banned.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
DOA 4 is on the Championship Gaming Series - Virtua Fighter is not on **** yet...lolz

I think VF is not on any League yet because it has stage outs.
DoA is one of the most hated fighting games series in the world. It's even more hated than the Smash series. Because people just don't care about Smash. They consider it a kiddy game and leave it at that. DoA, they hate it because it's shallow, broken and imbalanced as hell.

Just becuse there's some kind of "pro" tournament league doesn't mean it's very respected or even good. Being featured in a "pro" league does not automatically make the game better than any other game.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
That's really all, I don't hate this game and the fact is no matter how many rules you slap on it, it still is just a party game
MLG had melee you know. They took it off this year because they assumed brawl would be out in time, but then it got delayed.

And melee is much more than just a party game. It's a party game at the casual level, but a serious competative fighter with a few adjustments. And guess what? Those adjustments were built in the game too, as most games that have items...do not give you the option to turn them off.
why we don't just play stages that have fair ground where nothing random hurts you is beyond me
Umm... we do. Pokemon Stadium, Foutain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's story.

6 neutral stages that have absolutely nothing that randomly damages you. In fact, most of the counterpicks don't have that either.

This is exactly why they called you a scrub, because you obviously have no knowledge of the tournament ruleset or smash in general (like not knowing that it was played on MLG as a competative fighter for about 5 years)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is exactly why they called you a scrub, because you obviously have no knowledge of the tournament ruleset or smash in general (like not knowing that it was played on MLG as a competative fighter for about 5 years)
Sonic, Sonic. He's not a scrub (though what do I know, he might be one) for not knowing anything about Smash (yet talking as if he does), he's a n00b. Not the same thing and it's important that we keep the two separate.

Yuna's posts are the only reason I ever visit the Brawl boards anymore
"Yunavision - All snark, all the time!"

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Everyone - While waveshining was possibly the greatest concern of anti-melee people, certain chains were also annoying. For example, as a melee Pika main, I had a lot of trouble with a Captain Falcon chain that was so serious, I ended up needing to counter the character with Marth to throw off his chain timing.
I wasn't aware that Falcon could chainthrow Pikachu. Have you tried...DIing? And even then, Pikachu has an advantage over Captain Falcon. He can chainthrow him zero to death, his downsmash outprioritizes everything Falcon has, and he gimps him like there's no tommorrow.
Also, MK with a melee physics engine would be even faser
Lag on bair in brawl-4 or 5 frames
Lag on bair with L-canceling 2 or 3 frames.

Yeah...he didn't get much faster
probably have a chain grab
Where did you get this nonsense? None of Metaknight's grabs set the opponent even near him. His downthrow only does that in brawl because everyone is so floaty, but in melee they'd just reach the ground and tech.

Do you even think before you post this kind of stuff?
and would combo everything.
Actually, he'd be average at comboing. The trajectory on his fair and bair aren't suitable for comboing, so really he'd just be uair chaining into up B. When you look at the combos Marth and Falcon can pull off...that's really not impressive at all
Think melee Jiggs with larger disjointed hitboxs, and you have a rough (not perfect) idea of what MK would look like in melee.
Except take away the rest combos, and the ability to recover with rising pound, make him a little heavier, fall a little faster, have no auto sweetspot for his up B or side B, make the grabs not combo into...anything, and not have the ability to duck under grabs.

Then you'd have an idea of what MK would look like in melee. Which is not scary at all compared to what we already have.

Sonic, Sonic. He's not a scrub (though what do I know, he might be one) for not knowing anything about Smash (yet talking as if he does), he's a n00b. Not the same thing and it's important that we keep the two separate.
My bad. I've been using those words far to interchangably. I'll be better about that in the future.:laugh:

Mega_$m@sh

Smash Journeyman
Also, I am not sure if this helps answer your question, but... Stages with walk-off edges give an insane advantage to characters that have a chain grab. So even without painful random elements they would be banned. Walls create infinities which is why stages with them are banned.
Okay rules, you just can't pick up and play at a competitive level....lolz. [Which I don't mind the rules.... there fine in my book]

DoA is one of the most hated fighting games series in the world. It's even more hated than the Smash series. Because people just don't care about Smash. They consider it a kiddy game and leave it at that. DoA, they hate it because it's shallow, broken and imbalanced as hell.
They???? Please Explain Who They Are? Give some proof of they.....lolz
Also proof it's unbalances and how it is broken......k thanks. :)

MLG had melee you know. They took it off this year because they assumed brawl would be out in time, but then it got delayed.
Yes I know MLG had melee I'm not stupid...and we are still waiting for them to put brawl on.....plz keep me posted...lolz.

Umm... we do. Pokemon Stadium, Foutain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's story.

6 neutral stages that have absolutely nothing that randomly damages you. In fact, most of the counterpicks don't have that either.

I know the tourney rule set once again - I'm not stupid okay lolz. Correction it was from 04 to 06 so 2 years in the pro tour NOT counting the "grassroots tour".

I also meant why not just those stages alone but, of course that would be boooring after about 3 matches lolz...once again someone has made an *** out of themselves for Assuming I don't know "the tournament rule set or smash in general" lolz

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Yuna said:
I called him a scrub for johning about weapons causing imbalance. He is, indeed, a noob, though.

EDIT: The stages in Brawl that move are:

Delfino
Rainbow Cruise
Halberd
Castle Siege

The stages that can do damage to you are:
Halberd
Pictochat

I'm talking about legal ones, by the way.

OH NOES, LOOK AT ALL THE STAGES THAT DAMAGES US! WHATEVERS SHALL WE DOZ?!

I also meant why not just those stages alone but, of course that would be boooring after about 3 matches lolz...once again someone has made an *** out of themselves for Assuming I don't know "the tournament rule set or smash in general" lolz
Almost all of the CPs don't move or do damage. You still brought up items in a discussion about competitive balance, and you seem to think whether or not a character has weaponry affects how balanced they are, which is completely wrong.

Mega_$m@sh

Smash Journeyman
I called him a scrub for johning about weapons causing imbalance. He is, indeed, a noob, though.
I did state imbalances in weapons and no weapons but I could win any hour of the day with a character without a weapon....it's just natural skill lolz

I'm just saying Fisticuffs is real fighting.....lolz and yes weapons don't prove how good a character is but they do have "natural advantages" like reach.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord

Just becuse there's some kind of "pro" tournament league doesn't mean it's very respected or even good. Being featured in a "pro" league does not automatically make the game better than any other game.
I think it's just you and some Street Fighter elitists who are always angry at the world who hate it.

I've seen multiple posts saying how much you hate it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
They???? Please Explain Who They Are? Give some proof of they.....lolz
Also proof it's unbalances and how it is broken......k thanks. :)
They: Every single fighting game community besides DoA, pretty much. Trust me, DoA's depth is so shallow, it's not even funny. It's all about countering and not getting countered and a ridiculously flawed engine where you can counter someone while being comboed (for some combos/strings). Ask any highly rated player of a popular fighting game series.

There's a reason why EVO has never had a DoA tournament.

Also, since when is DoA even popular?! It's barely played! There barely are tournaments in it, ever.

Yes I know MLG had melee I'm not stupid...and we are still waiting for them to put brawl on.....plz keep me posted...lolz.
The season has started, thus it is too late.

Yes, how horrible that we don't have 49 stages you can choose from. And that we don't maximize "fun".

But I didn't call you out for that, now did I? ;)

I did state imbalances in weapons and no weapons but I could win any hour of the day with a character without a weapon....it's just natural skill lolz
Yes, all great players talk like this.

I'm just saying Fisticuffs is real fighting.....lolz
Or not. Fisticuffs is boxing. In fighting games, most people use kicks and other moves, as well.

I think it's just you and some Street Fighter elitists who are always angry at the world who hate it.
Your thoughts =/= Teh truthiness

I've seen multiple posts saying how much you hate it.
Which would be quite a feat because I haven't even mentioned DoA in months. I've posted about it, what, thrice this year, at most (including today)? And I never actually say I hate it (and I didn't say it just now either), so you're lying.

Mega_$m@sh

Smash Journeyman

EDIT: The stages in Brawl that move are:

Delfino
Rainbow Cruise
Halberd
Castle Siege

The stages that can do damage to you are:
Halberd
Pictochat

I'm talking about legal ones, by the way.

OH NOES, LOOK AT ALL THE STAGES THAT DAMAGES US! WHATEVERS SHALL WE DOZ?!

Almost all of the CPs don't move or do damage. You still brought up items in a discussion about competitive balance, and you seem to think whether or not a character has weaponry affects how balanced they are, which is completely wrong.
I also the melee stage rule set was mentioned...lolz so that would add corneria, onett and brinstar...brawl also has green greens I think there is more but it's not much and I can win on any stage any hour of the day...lolz

EVO is not something that goes around the world like CGS [MLG sometimes lolz] so there for EVO doesn't mean **** to me but I'm still going lolz and, DOA may not have tournaments but there is whole Pro League for DOA4 so why when you can just compete there......lolz but I accept your point and it makes sense.

Did I say fisticuffs yeah that and hand to hand.... with no weapons...lolz srry - 49 stages, but all 49 can't be used to play on for money cuz of random kills....I respect the rules and love to play by the rules we have....lolz

Oh and the great player comment I don't think of myself as a great player because someone is always better than you [no one specific] - I know it wasn't directed toward me...lolz

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Weapons don't imbalance a game...at all. Otherwise Link would be the best character in the game right?
I'm just saying Fisticuffs is real fighting.....lolz
And why do you say that? What about fighting with your fists is better than fighting with a sword? Wouldn't fighting with a sword be the smarter thing to do in real life, or better yet just shooting them? To me, fighting games get boring if none of the characters have funky twists. Because then it's just a game that simulates fighting in real life...which isn't that exciting to me.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I also the melee stage rule set was mentioned...lolz so that would add corneria, onett and brinstar...brawl also has green greens I think there is more but it's not much and I can win on any stage any hour of the day...lolz
Onett is banned. Brinstar does not hurt you randomly (it's pretty ****ing obvious when the lava is comming up). And the bombs on green greens only explode if they land right on top of you or, if you attack them, so they're really not that random either. The can only land in certain spots (the ones that need filling) and they don't expolde unless they're on screen.

Still not my favorite level, but certainly not something to complain about. If anything, the level would get banned because of Fox being too good on it, not because of the random bombs and apples.

Remember when I said you didn't know melee's ruleset? This is what I was talking about. You say that we shouldn't have to play on all these stages that hurt you randomly, yet only 2 legal stages actually fit that criteria (corneria and green greens), both of which are only counterpick stages, and neither of them are that big of a deal.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can win on any stage any hour of the day...lolz
This has what to do with what, anyway? Also, 200 dollar moneymatch, you, me, online. I'll play online for the first time ever for this.

EVO is not something that goes around the world like CGS [MLG sometimes lolz] so there for EVO doesn't mean **** to me but I'm still going lolz and, DOA may not have tournaments but there is whole Pro League for DOA4 so why when you can just compete there......lolz but I accept your point and it makes sense.
What the hell kind of logic is this? "There's this one 'pro' league with DoA, hence DoA must be one of the best fighting games evar!"

Did I say fisticuffs yeah that and hand to hand.... with no weapons...lolz srry
Hand to hand allows kniws, clubs and other melee weapons.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Mega $m@sh - the one thing I am still learning on smashboards is to only talk about things you have an extencive knowledge of - even then you will occasionally be flamed, and once in a while you might forget that you really don't know what you're talking about.

Sonic Wave - Sorry, but I can't see Meta Knight being less than the best character in melee in a melee physics engine. He is faster than melee marth, has a better recovery than jigglypuff, and could gimp everyone off a cliff with the extra hitstun on his attacks even better than he does currently. His Up-b would also be extremely difficult to ledge-guard, and frankly, a wave-dashing metaknight could be really dangerous with his near-instant downsmash out of a frame-perfect wavedash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom