• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Matchup Chart

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
please go beat some good players in a tournament with lucas before putting up such rediculous ratio's.

Ness will ALWAYS have lucas, he can gimp you almost as easily and when you zair if you space improperly you'll eat PK fire which is now a free combo for ness.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Bowser is so gay and people think he's bad when he isn't.
Bowser isn't considered bad, he's just considered one of the worst (not meant sarcastically; he's a decent character, he's just inferior to a lot of the cast). We'll see how his match-ups turn out though.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I'm gonna have to call out the Ness vs. Zelda matchup. I can't see Ness at a disadvantage, even if its slight. PSI magnet, his aerials beat yours, and now he's got DJC.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Zair has no landing lag, but it still has some time where it doesn't have a hitbox but it's still out.
Also Ness's PK Fire was sped up.
:ohwell:
...By 4 frames...

I'm gonna have to call out the Ness vs. Zelda matchup. I can't see Ness at a disadvantage, even if its slight. PSI magnet, his aerials beat yours, and now he's got DJC.
Floaty is Ness's Giygas. DJC fair isn't as useful against them. DJC fair IS Ness's strong point. If you can't DJC fair spam for approaching and/or combos then you won't do well.
Also magnet has lots of startup and winddown, and is the only move he has that can get through Din's now. Zelda's nair goes through most of Ness's aerials as well (other than fair but like I said it doesnt work well in this matchup) and Zelda's other aerials, if spaced correctly, can be nightmarish for Ness as well.

Also, I decided not to do Lucario v Ness because I'd be biased.
I hate Lucarios.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Okay, well...

Bowser : 65:35
Cpt. Falcon: 45:55
Fox : 60:40
Game & Watch : 20:80
Jigglypuff : 40:60
Kirby : 45:65
Lucas : 55:45
Ness : 50:50
Peach : 35:65
Sheik : 55:45
Snake : 60:40
Sonic : 65:35
Squirtle : 30:70
Wolf : 65:35
Yoshi : 50:50
ZSS : 30:70

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
No we cannot make a tier list out of this.

You can however see who generally has better matchups.

The problem is that most of these aren't completely accurate. Really the longer we have the chart here the more accurate it will get as people disprove matchups/give new matchups.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
looooooool...i comboed a ganon from 0-100 with lucas...

zair to zair to ftilt to dair to utilt to nair to nair to fair or something like that

it was so cool

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
No we cannot make a tier list out of this.

You can however see who generally has better matchups.

The problem is that most of these aren't completely accurate. Really the longer we have the chart here the more accurate it will get as people disprove matchups/give new matchups.

A completed match up chart provides more than enough info to actually create a tier list. <_<

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
A completed match up chart provides more than enough info to actually create a tier list. <_<
Exactly. Once all the match-ups are known, a tier list can be made. However deciding the differences in tier, Ex: high to mid, are something I have no idea about how they're decided on.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Okay, well...

Bowser : 65:35
Cpt. Falcon: 45:55
Fox : 60:40
Game & Watch : 20:80
Jigglypuff : 40:60
Kirby : 45:65
Lucas : 55:45
Ness : 50:50
Peach : 35:65
Sheik : 55:45
Snake : 60:40
Sonic : 65:35
Squirtle : 30:70
Wolf : 65:35
Yoshi : 50:50
ZSS : 30:70
Bowser: Seems right

Captain Falcon: Seems right

Fox: Not sure on this. In all honesty it could very well be even.

G&W: 2:8 is a bit drastic, but G&W has all the tools to stop Ness. Possibly a hard counter, definitely a soft counter

Jiggs: Hmmm, I guess. Never fought a jiggs with ness. Uair ***** her.

Kirby: I would say either that or 40:60, but the matchup isn't in ness's favor

Lucas: This or 50:50. I don't think either has a serious advantage.

Peach: Seems right

Sheik: I'd say Sheik is anywhere from a hard matchup to a soft counter to ness. She gimps far too hard.

Snake: Can't say

Sonic: Can't say

Squirtle: I personally think this is 50:50, maybe 40:60

Wolf: Yeah, that looks right, maybe a 60:40

Yoshi: Can't say

ZSS: Can't Say

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Exactly. Once all the match-ups are known, a tier list can be made. However deciding the differences in tier, Ex: high to mid, are something I have no idea about how they're decided on.
Thats just comparing the adjacent characters and if there seems to be a "gap" that's where you cut the sections.

For Example [as in, random characters to random numbers]:
Code:
Marth - 98
MK - 96
DeDeDe- 95
Ness - 94
Squirtle - 89
Ivysaur - 88
Olimar - 88
Samus - 86
Zamus - 85
Lucario - 84
Peach - 80
Mario - 79
Luigi-78
ROB - 72
etc..
You'd make cuts between Ness/Squirtle, Lucario/Peach, and Luigi/ROB, because there are "gaps".

-DD

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Thats just comparing the adjacent characters and if there seems to be a "gap" that's where you cut the sections.

You'd make cuts between Ness/Squirtle, Lucario/Peach, and Luigi/ROB, because there are "gaps".
Ah, ok. That makes sense. Thanks for explaining that. =)

If anything, I'll try to make my mind up on some match-ups regarding, Wario, Bowser, and Falco. I play Link, Lucas, and ZSS quite often, so I'll talk to them about it.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I said we can't make a tier list out of this because it won't be complete and accurate for a good while. Of course you can use a full and accurate Matchup Chart for determining how generally good characters are (although you have to remember that different matchups are more beneficial to have be good than others, for example if you hard counter MK in vBrawl, and another character has the same matchups as you but instead counters Samus, you would be the better character.)

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I think Brawl+ will only have 3 tiers in the end, instead of 5.

And we should probably call them mid high and top since technically our aim should be to have no one feel like they are low tier.

Either that or we can think of some way of showing the rankings while conveying the message that the game is pretty balanced so that the lower characters really aren't all that worse than the top characters.

jalued

Smash Lord
massive bump cause this thread is important!!

oh and peach 60-40 against diddy (apparently)

im just curious who ***** MK now (if anyone)

and people think lucas vs bowser is more ridiculous than falcon vs bowser?? Have to try this out!! lol

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I'm not sure about Lucas v. Bowser but somebody told me that in the AiB Lucas boards so I added it in. Personally I don't play against Bowser much so I can't say anything on the matter, other than I feel that Lucas has some sort of an advantage.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I think Brawl+ will only have 3 tiers in the end, instead of 5.

And we should probably call them mid high and top since technically our aim should be to have no one feel like they are low tier.

Either that or we can think of some way of showing the rankings while conveying the message that the game is pretty balanced so that the lower characters really aren't all that worse than the top characters.
Hmm, do you think the triangle method will work? (AKA Rock-Paper-Scissors Method)
So It's like if there ever is a character that gets 60-40 advantage or 40-60 disadvantage, It gets placed in one of the three sections. (Which also removes "BEST"and "WORST" tiers so that all of them are just the "BETTER THAN" tiers)

Also, I'm guessing brawl+ in it's final version will allow all characters to be at 50-50 or maybe at least 60-40/40-60 so that the triangle method takes place.

(I don't really know, it's just some casual analysis that popped up in my head. So I might as well share it with you guys)

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Im pretty sure Luigi vs TL has gone from 60-40 TL (vbrawl) to 55-45 Luigi :/. Hes too hard to combo. Mk vs TL is prolly 55-45 mk now. Snake vs TL MAY be in TL's favor now by a little. D3 is definetely TL's advantage now. And thats all I can say >_>.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
If everyone was a 50-50 it would be really boring.

We want to make everyone viable, but we can not and will not remove counter picking as long as there are different characters in the game.

jalued

Smash Lord
Hmm, do you think the triangle method will work? (AKA Rock-Paper-Scissors Method)
So It's like if there ever is a character that gets 60-40 advantage or 40-60 disadvantage, It gets placed in one of the three sections. (Which also removes "BEST"and "WORST" tiers so that all of them are just the "BETTER THAN" tiers)

So...

Also, I'm guessing brawl+ in it's final version will allow all characters to be at 50-50 or maybe at least 60-40/40-60 so that the triangle method takes place.

(I don't really know, it's just some casual analysis that popped up in my head. So I might as well share it with you guys)
it wont be a balanced rock paper scissors though, as there will be more in 2 than the other :p plus the matchups are far more complicated than that, but i guess you could put them into catagories if u tried hard enough.

some characters seem to have most things though *coughfoxcough* so its ot a simple task at all. most likely is that in a "balanced" game, the tier lists will be mainly based on how many good matchups a character has tbh. Can never see bowser being top tier for example, so many characters counter him. Doesnt mean hes not good, im sure he has good matchups, but in the long run no matter how much he is buffed, his size will always hinder him

kr3wman

Smash Master
If everyone was a 50-50 it would be really boring.

We want to make everyone viable, but we can not and will not remove counter picking as long as there are different characters in the game.
Matchup numbers have nothing to do with how fun a matchup is.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
There is no way G&W is 80:20 with Ness
It was 65:35 in vBrawl and Ness has gone way up since then, while G&W has had only like 4 changes

jalued

Smash Lord
just to say i think it should be coloured accordingly:

80+ = Violet
70/75 - 30/25 = Indigo (70/30 to 75/25 is what that means just to clarify)
60/65 - 40/35 = Blue
50/55 - 50/45 = Green
40/45 - 60/55 = Yellow
30/35 - 70/65 = Orange
20- = Red

see what i did with the colours?? ;)

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
OIC what you did there XD

Speaking of Matchups, I'm guessing Falcon **** big hitboxes like Bowser using the (Slide [Y] to [A] while holding forward for Knee Spam technique)

jalued

Smash Lord
Wavelength spectrum.

I like.

DD how is the chart coming? You don't need to put all the matchups on it, I can do that. I just need the chart.
yeah cant wait. I do think its the easiest way to gain a general tier list as well, which is always nice :) (since the balance of the game is basically only effected by matchups (think MK...))

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Red = lower energy

Purple = Higher energy

So better matchups would be blue to purple, worse matchups orange to red.

Science ftw.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
For now I'm including any matchup someone says that they are confident about if there isn't already one there that is different. The first priority is to actually fill the matchups up, since then people will see things they disagree with and try to disprove them. So first is fill up the chart, and second is make the chart accurate.

Top Bottom