• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl in the Cold - A Cold Con Tournament *RULE UPDATE*

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Yeah Mid Tiers was Saturday, but what really scared locals off was Call of Duty Black Ops. There were many instances of cheating during that tourney and the locals got fed up with it. The guy who was in charge of this told me that they did zero advertising and everyone who showed up was because of word of mouth.

fZk

Smash Lord
I came really close to blowing off work and going to this with Summer. Good thing I didn't, would have made $33 though.

fZk

Smash Lord
Sumer knows what's up I give him the business on a regular basis here in EL.

Congrats Sumer hope you had fun at this.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
But yeah, that's basically the lowdown. Black Ops killed support of any gaming and some locals got scared off by Ori and WuVs(Sumer apparently sandbagged with Ganon). We lost six to fear(and a seventh from fear of one local(Robjo)) and three to a very salty Blops player. As for me, I played an awful Mario during Mid-tiers after my first match with Ori_Bro, and suffered immensely for it.

And Ori, I saw dat :popo:.

In other news, I now have access to 7 local Smashers who are all willing to play and get better. First local smashfest on Thursday. So while it failed as a tourney, it got me a couple more players to legitimately get a scene going. I'm gonna test out a few local tournaments before I try to host another big one - and yes, Cold Con will be around next year, and yes, there will be Smash there.

Roller

Smash Legend
Oh damn, glad I was away and didn't go. But finding more players is always good. Good luck with cultivating that scene out there, Super. I hope you guys wind up having successful tournies over there. (Hopefully with ICs legal ;] )

rsr2

Smash Lord
Reason there were a couple wolfs in the Singles was because Sumer and I have been talking for a while about a Wolf ditto because when I first came to this site and AllisBrawl, I only played wolf and I talked to Sumer of someday doing a ditto. So he comes over and said want to wolf ditto for our round in the tournament and I said yes. I did get destroyed though but I would like thank Ori and Sumer again for teaching more things that I really needed to know.

Ori for owning me with the IC's chaingrab (long story short, never played a chaingrab IC's and I asked to face them just to see what it was like) But Super, is that what you saw when he was facing me? I didn't really see Ori play IC's other than that.
Sumer for showing me some moves that I really didn't know how to do.

But it still was a pretty fun tournament and everyone was really cool. I will try to attend more events if you throw them.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Nah, it was a couple matches against Sumer in their set. I repealed the IC ban during the tournament because the people there could hack it. Not that Ori really had a chance to get it off.

Seeing quite a few 'glad I didn't make it's. Not that I'm surprised, but if you had made it, than the tourney would of been larger? But yeah, I get what you mean - no randoms to steal money from. Turns out the guys I was expecting either arrived late (5PM Sunday) or didn't show and their car broke down earlier and couldn't tell me(I get no service at the venue. Everyone else does).

But yeah, I learned that Black Ops is a horrible game that needs to be burned and that spreading out tournaments that go on at the same time is a bad way to get people to join both. Of course, that was out of my hands at the time.

Next year I have a much more powerful role in Cold Con, and we're already set with the date and venue. Keep an eye on my posts during the year and we may just have a respectable scene for you guys to rob come next year.

Top Bottom