• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl hack: Shield cancel (L-cancel).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
This works really, really well. Without the Brawl airdodge, and now with the ability to approach AND punish your opponent, "combos" are available, and the game is, IMO, so much more fun than ever.
Playing against level 4 comps just now was more fun than any Brawl weekly I've been to.

My suggestion:
Try making the window that you have to press the shield button either three seconds longer than it is now, or move the window over three seconds (like, it's starts three seconds later than it is now, and ends three seconds later than it is now). That's my on suggestion. I'm pretty sure it'll feel just about right with that change. :] But that's why we test things, yes?

My problem:
I played a few matches with some characters against a random level 4 computer. Finally, I came to my Falcon vs a CPU Ice Climbers. The match froze once the announcer said "3!". I'll double check in a bit to see if it's an IC problem; because I'd played matches with Falcon previously, and nothing like that had happened.

-Nox`
I've heard this before but where?

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Like I said, I think the problem is that the window starts/stops relative to the attack, not relative to hitting the ground. Also, 3 seconds is 180 frames... in Melee you had 6 frames to cancel >_>

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
:[ Maybe not three seconds; then. I know how long you had in Melee, I'm just trying to go with more of a "feel" for lcanceling the moves as opposed to frame data (considering I don't have access to visible frame data...).
Three seconds seemed right; but being an avid WoW player; three seconds is a long time.

Thinking about what the animation on Link's dair looks like when it's lcanceled, I'd have to go with .7 seconds, as opposed to three. xD

@Cero: Maybe it was with the wavedashing code? I can't remember, but it seems familiar.
I forgot to mention; I had the wavedashing code (newest one), longer replays, and the lcancel code turned on.
And no tripping.

-Nox`

Maikeru17

NNID
NoxNoctis
Show me Captain Falcon...

NOW!!!

^_^
It's nice, it really is. :] Being a Falcon main in Melee, it brings warmth to my heart knowing I can again shffl stomps and knees. It greatly helps his game, for sure; but his priority is still clearly an issue.
My capture card makes my comp bluescreen, otherwise I'd upload a quick video for you. =\

Well...then again. My iPhone records TVs nicely...

xD
I'll see what I can do for you.

-Nox`

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
It's nice, it really is. :] Being a Falcon main in Melee, it brings warmth to my heart knowing I can again shffl stomps and knees. It greatly helps his game, for sure; but his priority is still clearly an issue.
My capture card makes my comp bluescreen, otherwise I'd upload a quick video for you. =\

Well...then again. My iPhone records TVs nicely...

xD
I'll see what I can do for you.

-Nox`
Yes please.

Maikeru17

NNID
NoxNoctis
EDIT: Haha, I forgot iPhones had built-in cameras. Nevermind ;)
Well, I have my iPhone jailbreaked (no surprise, having the homebrew channel on my Wii...), so. :] Video recording is available.

It's uploading to youtube right now.

The demonstration isn't the greatest. The timing on the lcancel is still really new to me, and doesn't exactly have the flow that it does in Melee/64, so. Excuse the missed lcancels in the video. xD
It's short (1:06), I didn't want to waste too much time beating on a non-existent player 2.

I'll edit this post when the video's up and running; I promise.
:]

*Edit: And yeah, the Ice Climbers froze my Wii up again; no matter who they played against..*

-Nox`

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I must say WD and L-cancel bring speed to the game. But honestly, i dont see why to add this to brawl, except for having a melee with a couple of extra chars, new levels and better graphs.

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
I must say WD and L-cancel bring speed to the game. But honestly, i dont see why to add this to brawl, except for having a melee with a couple of extra chars, new levels and better graphs.
We are putting together the game we were promised.

iankobe

Smash Lord
That's good enough to beat Brawl itself.

That's the only thing that Melee needs.

p.s. can you combine this code with the WD one?

Maikeru17

NNID
NoxNoctis
That's good enough to beat Brawl itself.

That's the only thing that Melee needs.

p.s. can you combine this code with the WD one?

Yes, you can. And the no tripping code, as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjzuvX-iUzs

Sorry it took so long.
D: Youtube wasn't taking it the first time 'round...
Anyways.
:] Like I said. I'm johning about the timing on the lcancel.
And sorry for the quality.

-Nox`

iankobe

Smash Lord
OMFG.

Now what's that S-cancelling stuff?

This is interesting. I MIGHT GET BACK TO BRAWL! or should I say Melee 2.0!?

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Yeah, maybe, but I think the whole concept of "Brawl's broken shields can now be used offensively" is just really cool to think about in addition to the reasons I already mentioned. It also makes it new and different from the other Smashes. I just like it a lot ;)

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, maybe, but I think the whole concept of "Brawl's broken shields can now be used offensively" is just really cool to think about in addition to the reasons I already mentioned. It also makes it new and different from the other Smashes. I just like it a lot ;)
Those are good points, but the shield is pretty clumsy when you are trying to combo and all you can really do is grab out of it.

Maikeru17

NNID
NoxNoctis
Well, either way. Any form of canceling the lag on everyone's aerials is one of the two major staples to making this game worth playing. We need hitstun next. But, before hitstun, a nice, shiny, lag-canceling code is needed.
And we're almost there.

Anyways. I need to head to sleep; I'm beat, and have work in six hours.

Oh.
xD
And here.
I'm shamelessly promoting myself at this point, and it's completely unrelated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LkKTOlE6u0

Oh dear lord.

What do we do now >.>
We convince the community to play with a Melee patch?

(good night)

-Nox`

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Lol, it looks ALOT easier than L-cancelling. All you have to do is hold shield during the aerial, rather than time it.

EDIT: Never mind

Still, it looks pretty awesome.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Yeah, IMO that's its only flaw, and even that isn't so bad... I mean once you've learned to L-cancel, with the exception of things like drills, you can pretty much do it perfectly, so it's not THAT big a deal.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, this is just so epic I had to share it.

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
There it is. I've been looking for that. Does Zelgadis still play?

Btw Vyse you are respected on the smashboards and an open supporter of melee What's your take on these codes?

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god, I want to use these codes so bad.
Is there any hope for PAL people?

Starscream

Smash Ace
OMFG.

Now what's that S-cancelling stuff?

This is interesting. I MIGHT GET BACK TO BRAWL! or should I say Melee 2.0!?
How about Brawl 2.0? You're still playing Brawl albeit a new version.

I'm undecided on the two codes. The timing for the S-cancel (or lack thereof, it's really easy to do) is a lot easier but on the other hand the L-cancel feels more "classic" especially when L-canceling Bowser's Bair. I just think the timing on the L-cancel needs to be tweaked and something needs to be done about brawl's god awful buffer system for it to work. Too many fast falled ariels are interrupted by an unnecessary crouch. The S-cancel doesn't have this problem because you're canceling into a shield although you might side step when you land sometimes (more likely caused by the player though).

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
There it is. I've been looking for that. Does Zelgadis still play?

Btw Vyse you are respected on the smashboards and an open supporter of melee What's your take on these codes?
<3

My take on these codes (without having actually tested them myself) are that it makes for a much faster Brawl. Wavedashing and S-Cancelling gives us more options for approaching etc. and is generally a positive thing, provided that all the niggly bugs are worked out of them.

My only concern is the fact that I don't see hacks becoming part of competitive Brawl, regardless of whether I myself like the idea of it or not. (And it's precisely for the aforementioned reason that I don't like it).

So in short. I think these codes are awesome and refreshing, but likely to never see use in tournaments as long as we're just sitting here arguing that point. If people want to see hacks in Brawl legal, it's quite simple. Everybody needs to go out and start organizing hacked Brawl tournaments.

Easier said than done though.

ss118

Smash Master
Super Smash Brothers Manslaughter.

The step from melee to brawl was a bit misangled, but Manslaughter will put it back on top!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom