• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl hack: Shield cancel (L-cancel).

Status
Not open for further replies.

kupo15

Smash Hero
No, not really. just a little too easy to pull off. A little? Who am I kidding lol.
Yea thats exactly right. S canceling doesnt add more tech skill to the game. Its just the same Brawl on crack. You might as well a make everything autocanceled. Holding down the Shield button the whole time makes it too easy...kinda how mk makes playing at a high level easier....hehe

kupo15

Smash Hero
I dunno, when over 3/4 of all aerials autocancel anyway, it doesn't really bug me. In Melee and 64, everything had lag if you didn't cancel.
Depends on your character. Pika and Pit have none for example, Samus has all of them. I guess that would make S canceling more fair since not everyone has the luxury of auto cancel???? Why does brawl have to be so **** complicated to balance!!

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
That's pretty much what I'm saying. Metaknight doesn't have to cancel ****, but Ike players need to learn how? That doesn't seem right. Oh and for Ganon and Zelda, good like timing your Dair (Ganon) and F/Bair (Zelda) with all that **** hitlag.

kupo15

Smash Hero
:\ what to do what to do. What a dilemma. *sigh* But I dont think MK has any autocanceled aerials.. if he does its too fast to notice :\

And also, the new timing is made perfectly for that hitlag. Its further from the ground which makes it around the right timing

EDIT::

So I was thinking about the differences and I still think l canceling is "fairer". Here are some ideas I came up with

Some people think l canceling is not as fair because it forces ppl to learn how to cancel their lag while others with auto canceled aerials don't. But at the same time, it can also not be fair how heavy moves have equal lag as light ones with s cancel.

S canceling is nothing more than brawl on steroids. There is no added tech skill and it makes higher levels of play easier IMO since all you have to do is hold the shield button down. Those ppl without auto canceled moves are already thinking about lag moves so pressing a button isn't too much of a stretch. They also have beaten those with auto canceled moves.

(biggest point)
I dont believe l canceling affects auto canceled moves. If this is the case, then soft land l canceling (64 l cancel) could work out better over half cancel lag since it penalizes those characters with auto canceled moves. This means it rewards the players for learning to l cancel their aerials that are not auto canceled and limits which can be soft landed.
This also means the player needs to know more about their character.

If we use the soft landed lag set to these specific moves, then Brawl will be a mix of 64 and melee elements.
If ppl dont like soft land and prefer melee l cancel, then it would balance everything because everyones lag is cut in half.

Also, being lower tier means working harder so a little extra work for a lot of gain would be no different.

So its really preference I guess but just thought Id share my thoughts. After realizing its difficult to balance brawl with hacks, Ive given up on finding logic in this game...

Redson

Smash Journeyman
While I am against this appearing in tournaments, I think this would be an awesome addition to friendlies. Maybe after weeks of warming up to it, I'll come to accept it as something that could be tournament worthy, but I just never liked the idea of having to change a game because it wasn't already good enough. This **** looks nice, though, and I hate to say it. :\

Link and Bowser for high tier, lol?

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
While I am against this appearing in tournaments, I think this would be an awesome addition to friendlies. Maybe after weeks of warming up to it, I'll come to accept it as something that could be tournament worthy, but I just never liked the idea of having to change a game because it wasn't already good enough. This **** looks nice, though, and I hate to say it. :\

Link and Bowser for high tier, lol?
Not to sound standoffish, but we have stated several, several times that we aren't trying to make this tournament standard. AT THE VERY MOST maybe a side-community with completely seperate tournaments and possibly even rulesets. (Back to 4-stock matches, maybe?)

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Yesh, I know this by now. When it was introduced in the thread I most posted on (The LA thread) I was sceptical of this, but after someone explained the situation to me, I understood it would just be something done on the side. Sorry if I sounded silly in the last post.

I need twilight princess. D:

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Yesh, I know this by now. When it was introduced in the thread I most posted on (The LA thread) I was sceptical of this, but after someone explained the situation to me, I understood it would just be something done on the side. Sorry if I sounded silly in the last post.

I need twilight princess. D:
Rent it for a night! (: Or borrow it from a friend.

And as far as I know, there have been no updates to the S-cancel code, so yes, ICs still freeze the game.

Revven

FrankerZ
Rent it for a night! (: Or borrow it from a friend.

And as far as I know, there have been no updates to the S-cancel code, so yes, ICs still freeze the game.
No, not with the S-Cancel code. Antz and I were playing with it on and he picked ICs and everything was fine. I think you're thinking of the L-Cancel code, which, I haven't used yet.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
No, not with the S-Cancel code. Antz and I were playing with it on and he picked ICs and everything was fine. I think you're thinking of the L-Cancel code, which, I haven't used yet.
Oh okay. O: Good to know then. I'm glad the S-cancel is fine, and we only need to worry about L-cancel.. which already needs to be fixed in the first place.

Edit: Actually it would be better if you weren't allowed to hold the shield for S-cancelling during aerials. >>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom