• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl DX V.1.0.7

TKD

Smash Lord
Why nerf MK instead of making the rest of the cast as good as him? That's lazy!

The only nerfs I can come up with that would be legit are probably removing upb's invincible frames and reducing mach tornado's priority so those moves can trade and be countered.
The reason I mention those 2 moves is that they're so big and multi-directional they're probably one of the biggest reasons he's OP in doubles. Also MK's playstyle wouldn't change much since Mach Tornado already loses to almost any move in dittos and using upb's invincibility is more of an abuse than part of his style (without the invincibility, the opponent could read the upb and place a hitbox for a good trade; so the mk would have to be careful about using it).

If uair is a problem, you need to learn to DI.
If dair is a problem, you need to learn to bait and punish.

At least I think his speed and playstyle would change for worse by adding cooldown and knockback nerfs.

Sources: played Smash in tournaments since '06

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Well the reason MKs uair and dair received more cooldown was to better adjust he towards the whole cast. Previously he could literally string all of his jumps with uair due to the increased hitstun and how fast his moves were. Though MK did receivr buffs in certain areas like his dsmash now can link into both hits if spaced properly with the back hit doing more damage and up b sending upward like in PM. Dimensional cape also actually usable as a ground combo finisher now and nado is slightly easier to control. From what ive seen from the people who have tried MK his playstyle hasnt changed dramatically, its still very rush down based just he cant overwhelm opponents with mkves that have such safe frame data. I believe when you see whats changed with MK in the upcoming version you'll see that MK is still just as much a threat as ge was before jist now so are the rest of the cast. Though i appreciate your input

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Why nerf MK instead of making the rest of the cast as good as him? That's lazy!

The only nerfs I can come up with that would be legit are probably removing upb's invincible frames and reducing mach tornado's priority so those moves can trade and be countered.
The reason I mention those 2 moves is that they're so big and multi-directional they're probably one of the biggest reasons he's OP in doubles. Also MK's playstyle wouldn't change much since Mach Tornado already loses to almost any move in dittos and using upb's invincibility is more of an abuse than part of his style (without the invincibility, the opponent could read the upb and place a hitbox for a good trade; so the mk would have to be careful about using it).

If uair is a problem, you need to learn to DI.
If dair is a problem, you need to learn to bait and punish.

At least I think his speed and playstyle would change for worse by adding cooldown and knockback nerfs.

Sources: played Smash in tournaments since '06
I believe they did this already in Brawl Minus.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Do you have a rough timeframe of when the next update will be?
Also could you include the rebalanced Mushroom Kingdom? You can find it in BrawlVault in the Shadow Moses Island section.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Currently i don't mainly because i'm currently doing a lot of bug fixing, But it shouldn't be no longer than a month or so. And as more new stages like rebalanced mushroom kingdom i'm sure that you'll like the stages i've included in the new update.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Oh, okay.
Also, three questions.
How did you change the FoD icon to the Star?
Where do you modify the characters and moves stats?
And is it difficult to do so, is there a guide somewhere for it?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I played this game vs cpus for about an hour and here are some problems I found.
1. The largest problem is that you added too much lag to many moves. The lag on moves should not be increased on anything except for something like MK's uair, which has ridiculous frame data. Lag should only be decreased on the moves of low tier characters who suffer from slow options.
2. This is a minor problem; DK's fthrow doesn't work, it's too easy for the cpu's to mash out immediately.
3. You removed too many kill moves.
4. I played as ZSS a few times, and I think you made her terrible.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I had actually decreased a lot of cooldown on everyone save for MK and even then the added cooldown to attacks was only done to his more abusive moves. The cooldown i did give to other characters moves was to avoid abusive tilt or aerial strings that would guarantee KOs due to hitstun. There was literally a time where characters like luigi could just down throw and be guranteed an up B at any % characters like lucas would fair wall all the way offstage and your opponent could'nt do anything and then lucas would recover perfectly fine. The aim is for the player to not just rely on combo'ing characters to the blast lines but be forced to get reads in order to continue their combos and even times only get a certain amount of hits in and anymore during one string could get you punsihed.

Zss didn't change much in 1.0.7 aside from fixing her disjointed uair and scaling her kill power to better accomodate the increase in hitstun. In the update she side B will stun instead of deal knockback but her nair and dair hit much harder with her having far less cooldown on dair to the point where she can jump out of it like captain falcon and sonic can. (nothing is final at this moment so new things are still being considred) As for kill moves a lot of the cast received new kill options like Dsmash is more viable for wario as it hits harder and less cooldown, other characters like samus had her moveset buffed overall. It's hard to get a true feel for what's possible in DX without playing it with other people. Everyone who's played it has told me characters feel a lot smoother. the issue with DK's Fthrow hasn't happen to me though cpus do break out of grabs quickly.

Regarding how i edit characters i do so through using smash attacks, and brawlbox more the most part and their are tutorials out there on how to edit movesets though i learned mainly through trying to replicate other modded character changes and from their i decided to make my own changes to vbrawl characters. It's really on difficult depending on what it is your trying to do, and i changed FoDs icon in brawlbox by editing what icon that stage uses under it's texture file.

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
I had actually decreased a lot of cooldown on everyone save for MK and even then the added cooldown to attacks was only done to his more abusive moves. The cooldown i did give to other characters moves was to avoid abusive tilt or aerial strings that would guarantee KOs due to hitstun. There was literally a time where characters like luigi could just down throw and be guranteed an up B at any % characters like lucas would fair wall all the way offstage and your opponent could'nt do anything and then lucas would recover perfectly fine. The aim is for the player to not just rely on combo'ing characters to the blast lines but be forced to get reads in order to continue their combos and even times only get a certain amount of hits in and anymore during one string could get you punsihed.

Zss didn't change much in 1.0.7 aside from fixing her disjointed uair and scaling her kill power to better accomodate the increase in hitstun. In the update she side B will stun instead of deal knockback but her nair and dair hit much harder with her having far less cooldown on dair to the point where she can jump out of it like captain falcon and sonic can. (nothing is final at this moment so new things are still being considred) As for kill moves a lot of the cast received new kill options like Dsmash is more viable for wario as it hits harder and less cooldown, other characters like samus had her moveset buffed overall. It's hard to get a true feel for what's possible in DX without playing it with other people. Everyone who's played it has told me characters feel a lot smoother. the issue with DK's Fthrow hasn't happen to me though cpus do break out of grabs quickly.

Regarding how i edit characters i do so through using smash attacks, and brawlbox more the most part and their are tutorials out there on how to edit movesets though i learned mainly through trying to replicate other modded character changes and from their i decided to make my own changes to vbrawl characters. It's really on difficult depending on what it is your trying to do, and i changed FoDs icon in brawlbox by editing what icon that stage uses under it's texture file.
Do you have a quick video that can show us what Louie, Roy, and Mewtwo's final smash look like?

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Sadly i don't quite yet. Though Louie's Final Smash is the same as olimars except stronger. Mewtwo's is the same as his PM final smash and Roy's is the only ones thats different. Once i can get someone who is able to record thing i'd like to start making character trailers not just for newcomers but for the whole cast as it's easier to convey all these changes through videos rather than pictures.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Very interested in this. You should recruit competent people to do help with the programming and balancing. I like Project M but I don't like how fast it is. Hence, I'm looking forward to see how Smash 4 sits between Melee and Brawl in speed. I enjoyed Brawl+ a lot because of that. Shame people wanted another Melee clone and Brawl+ fell off.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I recommend you find top level brawl players to help you with this project.

I'll tag @ NAKAT NAKAT for you

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I had eventually thought about reaching out to some top players, but i felt i would wait until the games farther along than where it is now. Again there are still a number of things thats been fixed, or improved since the last update, and soon i'll be able to share some info on what exaclty those are, but there are plenty of nice things in the pipeline for brawl DX. Though i greatly appreciate peoples opinions

Pikmin1211 regarding tutorials and such the best way i could help you in learning PSA is to simply download a program like Smash Attacks or Brawl Box and then get a PSA of a character and then their unedited brawl movesets and try and recreate the edited moveset through seeing what was changed. Thats how i learned what did what with, from their i did have to do alittle searching for more specific things that i wanted to do that i couldn't pull reference for like how to get louie's down B to work the way it does.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
I played this game vs cpus for about an hour and here are some problems I found.
1. The largest problem is that you added too much lag to many moves. The lag on moves should not be increased on anything except for something like MK's uair, which has ridiculous frame data. Lag should only be decreased on the moves of low tier characters who suffer from slow options.
2. This is a minor problem; DK's fthrow doesn't work, it's too easy for the cpu's to mash out immediately.
3. You removed too many kill moves.
4. I played as ZSS a few times, and I think you made her terrible.
For #3, I believe he did this to balance characters. WhenI play Project M, it seems like there's too many meteor smashes. Remember, the whole point of this was to put the best of Brawl & Melee, and balance it. He isn't trying to make this the new Project M or Brawl Minus.

D

Deleted member

Another question, how do you edit dedede and the pokemon trainer?

Psa 1.3 and above won't open it for me ):

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
there should be a version of PSA made by Dantarian that fixed the issue with editing D3 and the pokemon trainer. I forgot exactly where i got it from though.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Eventually i cant get a good shot of the character select menu

"Where are we? The logo looks familiar, so does the patterns, but something seems...different"

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Because i have nothing better to do.... that and i'm gonna start to trickle out new stuff for you guys leading up to the release. As the days go by more and more detailed stuff will be shown, so i hope people like what gets revealed as far as changes go. I'm trying my best though to get some type of footage, although i don't have any type of capture card or anything so it's kind of tough. If i could get even just one match recorded i could display to people just what can be down in DX that makes it feel very different from brawl.

schavira

Smash Journeyman
Eventually i cant get a good shot of the character select menu

"Where are we? The logo looks familiar, so does the patterns, but something seems...different"
PLEASE don't tell me that is Final Destination and it is just like a freeze frame of the logo before it becomes significantly smaller on the title screen

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Have a feeling that the roster that "you can't get a good pic of" now holds a new character >: )

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Some bug reports / suggestions
  • When playing versus Lucario, Mewtwo's Shadow Ball becomes an odd color.
  • Green Hill Zone has some floating shadows.
  • I noticed your attempt to rebalance Pirate Ship, but I'd recommend using the non-tangible water version.
  • Louie's original (blue) color still has a red light.
  • Whatever you did to Link, do it more because he still sucks.
  • I like how you're trying to keep Roy more Melee-ish, but I hate how aerial Flare Blade halts your momentum.
  • Using Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon on the CSS will result in your token being on Lucas after the match.
  • Distant Planet needs new SSS icons.
  • Spear Pillar's prevbase is really blurry.
  • Shadow Moses Island is still jank.
  • Subspace Emissary should be renamed to Subspace.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Sorry things have been quiet around here for a bit. I've been working on some things and they aren't quite ready yet to tease you all with. But rest assured progress is being made. P1211 as far as your reports go i can confirm that Roy's neutral B doesn't do that anymore (that was the first thing fixed in the new build). Some other things like Mewtwo's shadow ball coloration when lucario is in play is something that is a result of the Brawl EX clone engine same applies to Louie. Both characters call articles for their repective originals that can't be accessed in their fighter.pac files and thus i can't really eliminate them all. Though Rest assured Mewtwo's shadow ball will still function the same way regardless of if lucario is present or not. As more link..... are you sure he is still terrible, the ability he and toon link have of being able to shield cancel shooting arrows, from the many tests I've had with locals seems to be very beneficial to his camp and approach game alongside his run speed increase and super armor on startup of his up-b (like DK's). As many graphical issues will be sorted out as i can get to. I'm hoping to be able to get this new version out by sometime next month at the latest. There are some pretty nice changes coming up so please look forward to them

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
So is this a midpoint between Brawl and Project M/Melee? I guess it's the closest thing we'll get to Smash 4's engine XD

I was hoping someone would make a mod that improves movement speed and removes tripping and input lag while keeping Brawl's mechanics intact.

I hope to see Fox soon! His b-air and f-air were better in Brawl, I think.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Today i bring new screenshots!

The roster is beginning to feel quite different than brawls which is great! The new characters especially add some extra flare. The character select screen has also some small visual upgrades. For now though you'll all need to wait to see who these new characters are.

But i do have something else to show off....

I'd like to introduce the new Final Destination for brawl DX.

It looks quite plain here but the sharp obects protruding out of the stage actually change in coloration during the match as do the beams on the side and the center red beam.

The crystal underneath is still there now encased in a glass ball while the rings that surround it rotate and glow.

I went for a more simplistic approach creating an FD that feels very similar to the original from the N64 but also draws elements from both melee and brawls FD.

i'll leave this here for you all to ponder over

For those of you who are worried about MetaKnight's and his nerfs/buffs, i'd like to assure you i'm making sure he is still a formidable opponent. Although now isn't the time for me to elaborate just yet on whats new here.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Man, this starts to feel like Sakurai's Pic of the Day posts... I love it! Keep releasing revealing images!

Top Bottom