• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl @ DeVry in Pomona Sat April 5th!! ~RESULTS

fargokraft

Smash Apprentice
haha!!!

*****T s m a s h boards!!
way to ruin my April fools joke. XD
I was going to change my mind and say "ITEMS ON!- Sand BAG ONLY! VERY HIGH!"
but, now everyone knows it's April fools tomorrow because of this gag. XD

Well then.

I'm listening to what you guys are saying-
its just like you though,
you're telling me your experiences, and I'm sharing my own.
The last tournament I hosted-
the matches ran smoothly-
I don't even recall a single sudden death.
That's why I'm not entirely interested in changing the t i m e just yet.
At the same t i m e - items were on.
Them being off may in fact change things.

And yes, this is a B*R*/-\*W*L* tournament ;)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Hahaha, great april fools day joke.

MARIO brawl link zelda luigi bowser peach

Cutie

Smash Cadet
Well if all goes well there should be six people entering from Vegas...
Please do teams :]
Also 6 min matches and some of those stages are sketchy (i think)
^^ This tourney looks good... hope to see all of you there!

LuCKy

Smash Master
ummm atleast 6 min man , mean if your so convinced it wont pass 5 min then whats the difference?

and norfair is like the dumbest lvl ever...............im guessing you hav'nt been camped here

distant planet? is that the pikmin lvl XD bridge of eldin? yeahuhzz for daydayday mains,what are you thinking? lol

3$? i'm sure enough people will come for you to do a normal 5 dollar entry plus teams >_> it's brawl...everyone and their mom is gonna come

i dont know the names of the levels too well,but im hoping pits level is banned?

im just sayin....

and vegas?!? ^_^

fargokraft

Smash Apprentice
@Truegamer- I think we might actually be covered on wiis, but if you want to bring urs just in case- that would be cool. ^_^

@Race- @.@ A lot, even more than I'm probably expecting... again. XD haha As always- I'm starting to get worried, haha.

@Cutie- again, if people get there early enough, we'll do teams. IF we do-do teams it'll start around 12am. It'll be a pleasure to have you guys ^_^

@Lucky- your post is very confusing. haha, the price for the tournament is $5. The reason I don't just easily make it 6 mins is because of that same concern of getting done before the skewl closes. That's unfortunately always the concern. But judging by my recent games- and the popular demand of this upgrade, I think I'm probably going to lean towards 6 mins.

As for the stages.
Norfair- no, unfortunately. My pool of friends don't camp. So I can't really see what you mean. Especially on Norfair because you could shield chop through the platforms- and if its the middle platform- the lava will eventually come up... Camping just doesn't seem like an issue to me.

Distant Planet- you didn't really argue against, just basically said "I don't like it."

Bridge of Eldin- this stage is one I debated with and experimented on a lot. Its a walk-off stage... but a BIG walk off stage. And in my struggling with allowing this stage and not, I found too many things unpredictable. Yes people may wall camp, or chain throw. But I found chain throwing harder to do with so much recover space. And camping... I've not been exposed to it enough to see if it were possible to counter... but I can imagine it would have something to do with shield chopping. The point is, unlike the Mario Kart stage- I find a lot more factors to be rather unpredictable because of its size. And by that, I mean in what players will do. It would be unfair of me to simply ban it- unless I can definitely see the UNCOUNTERABLE abuses that may occur. Especially because anything that may be seem so, can perhaps be, in fact, countered. And I don't want to pass on the opportunity of finding that counter.

Sky World- is a counterpick. It is another stage I struggled with. I researched and found many interesting concepts... like controlling the middle- and your pretty much good to go. I found this to be some what true, which adds a different dynamic to the match- which is why I think its an interesting counterpick. And yes, you have to pick your characters BEFORE they pick the stage- so think about what your doing. IF you can't handle a counter pick, its your own fault. You can't just ask "what stage are you goign to counterpick?" But should you lose from a counterpicked stage, remember that you get the next counterpick. My point is, just be smart about it. Learn how to dominate the stage- and if it should be seemingly unfair in some way after millions of games- then maybe it'll be banned. But so early in this stage- I'm open to the possibilities and can't predict the true natures of how players will use such a stage- and I want to see that.

*Had it not be too late- I would of possibly unbanned WarioWare- because the only real thing that halted me was the items you get from winning the mini-games. However, if items are off, this can't happen.

*I think I'm actually going to cut down on stages for future tournaments. Not to say that they may or may not be greatly advantages to various characters on an unfair scale- but rather... managing so many stages feels to be such a hassle. But I don't know, I have to think about it.

*Same thing with Custom stages. You HAVE to be there EARLY and show it to me pretty quick. Cut off time will probably be 11:30. This thing is probably going to get fired up fast. Ideally- we'll have custom counter picks on top of everyone's map list. But I'm not interested in a hassle here, but rather the creativity and potential in some intriguing matches.

*To be honest I still think the majority of you are only going to advocate the neutrals and wont' take advantage of the huge stage selection. So I'm not too worried... but none the less- the possibilities are quite curious.

Looking forward to having you all here ^_^
Hope you guys have fun, and that we can determine some even more efficient ways of running these things. ^_^

Btw- every 5 people that enter singles, and every 5 teams in doubles gives this event a pizza. FREE.
and...
If some one would be interestedin bringing some drinks-
I'll have some and cups (probably 100 plastic)... but I doubt I'll have enough liquids for everyone.
The drinks- would be out of the kindness of my heart- and wouldn't be funded by the club.
ABSOLUTE NO ALCOHOL!!! Just in case it crosses your mind.
You will be banned from the tournament, and even jeopardize the possibility of Oblivion hosting another.
By drink I mean- juice/water/soda. Perhaps you could be creative- but come on,
your here to brawl NOT enjoy a drink. Its just to get by. haha

MarthPwnzer

Smash Journeyman
This sounds great, see you guys tomorrow xD Then next week another epic melee tourney

LuCKy

Smash Master
lol sorry about that

i'll let everything go lol

just plzzzzzzzzzzzzz no skyworld or norfair T-T or at least take off one of them lol i can't ban two stages

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Wait, Edrees picks more gay stages than me?

O_O

zeta

Smash Journeyman
where do you guys stand on recording devices?

i have a pvr that i don't mind bringing to help you guys out

fargokraft

Smash Apprentice
@Lucky- I'm sorry. I have to see this... I have to see the retardedness of those 2 stages in action for me to ban it. I'm sure a skilled player as yourself will manage. Besides- should you win the first round, and lose the 2nd- you'd pick the next counter pick. Just don't lose the first round! ;D

@Endree- haha, well then it would seem the honors system will prevent all of you from picking the ever so popular deeming stages. XD

@Nate- heh. Honor if you do, its all good if ya don't.

@zeta- uh.... ^_^; I haven't ever recorded. If that happens- its because The Game II comes. IF you want to bring some equipment to set up- I'm all for it though. :)

@MarthPwnzer- oops! I'm sorry, I keep forgetting people don't know where that is. From the front entrace- just go straight down. It'll be like the cafeteria area. You'll probably notice a tv, so I doubt it'll be too difficult to locate. ^_^

fargokraft

Smash Apprentice
wow guys...
thx a bunch!!!
69 people for SINGLES,
that was INTENSE
The skewl closes at 6pm- we went til 7:30pm.
Essentially, if we were there any longer,
the alarm would go off-
and we'd be considered breaking in...
We literally were running out of there. haha

I'm very saddened- that we couldn't keep the rules the same throughout the whole thing.
We gimped the rules... especially on the finals...
I'm very sorry about that.

We only had 6 t.v.s - and one of them kept shutting off half way through the tournament-
both the t.v. and the wii. We never figured out why. Some of us speculate that it was sabotage. It could also be that power outlet was bad or something... I really don't have any idea...

People from Vegas did show up-
and that's was both a privelege and a curse.
One of the options with limited time-
was to save the bracket and finish it up at another tournament-
but because one of the finalist was in fact from Vegas...
that isn't exactly a good idea...

I'll have the results and the brackets up later when I receive them from my laptop guy.

I'm especially thankful for Edwaurdo-
who handled the laptop most of the time.
He did an excellent job. (usually its Jesse, but he wasn't there til after 5:45 or so)

And for Shane who got the pizza,
and for Casey's support,
and Romy's, and his friend's wii.

And for Carl who brought his wii and helped me manage the thing,
And for SmashBlu for bringing his tv and wii.

Very helpful guys,
and thank you Danibals and your crew for giving me feedback on the best approach to gimp the tournament, haha.
Again- my deepest apologizes...

Considering we were only prepared to handle 30-40 people,
and I only planned singles...heh,
we did a pretty d*mn good job.

We had doubles with 22 teams... maybe more- I can't remember.
And again, 69 in the singles bracket...

I only wish I saw a lot more of the matches...
I have so many ideas for organizing this thing better!
I'm looking forward to organizing the next ^_^

I'll also post up pictures I took later,
when my camera recharges and what not. :D

thx for your support-
hope you had fun!!
We'll be prepared for even MORE people next time-
we're trying to run these things as smoothly as possible.

Til we meet again.

Vondill

Smash Rookie
Was definately fun with a lot of competition! I was Von testing out Lucario in a competitive scene and did alright. Sadly i didnt get ANY pizza (was playing) but yeah it was still great. Definately looking forward to the next one. Oh and get some kind of microphone for match announcements lol. A lot of interesting matches and grats to those that won. I look forward to competing in the next one.

fargokraft

Smash Apprentice
Pictures (69)

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...iewPicture&friendID=215536315&albumId=1003046

Results

Team Bracket-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/FargoKraft/team_ranks.png

Team Results-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/FargoKraft/team_ranks.png

Single Brackets-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/FargoKraft/brawl_tourney2_bracketfinal.png

Single Results-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/FargoKraft/singles_ranks.png

Note: In losers brackets- Endrees didn't fight Gusteev a 2nd time...
there was some confusion or something- and Endrees was passed on as "lost"
but again, the match never happened.
So, in discovering this- he played again lmnz.
(assuming if he won against Gusteev, he'd fight him).
The end result was Endrees losing to lmnz,
so whether he beat Gusteev a second time or not-
the result would likely still be the same.

===
I'll try to upload the tio file up front or something.

iidxutj

Smash Rookie
Was definately fun with a lot of competition! I was Von testing out Lucario in a competitive scene and did alright. Sadly i didnt get ANY pizza (was playing) but yeah it was still great. Definately looking forward to the next one. Oh and get some kind of microphone for match announcements lol. A lot of interesting matches and grats to those that won. I look forward to competing in the next one.
yeah its me johann, duckduckgook in the tournament aka urtalking2jesus. i had a lot of fun as well. looking forward to go to the next one. that was a great tournament haha

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Well I had a lot of fun. Brawl is so fun for me, I feel the competitive desire I once had for Melee. Thanks for hosting and Forward thanks for being a great team mate. Fargo ou did a great job with the time and space /tvs you had, thanks for the pizza and hosting!! But it was not fun being counter picked on electroplankton =/ The 3 min time limit sucked a lot too, but you couldn't really do anything about that. Perhaps next time there's no time for teams and/or need more TVs so you can set the time limit to 8 minutes.

Honestly, I think the best solution is to keep the time limit at 8 minutes but make 2 stock matches.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
gg it was a fun tournament. sorry to VJ and edrees on that gay time limit win in our 2nd rounds =[.

and does that mean i played either gusteev or edrees for no reason? since i played both of them... =_=

fargokraft

Smash Apprentice
@Endreese(in regards to 2 stock, 8 mins):
NO!!! People will STALL that sh*t SOOOOOOOO hard!
~actually, thinking about it- some stages are rather hard to stall on.
Hmmm, who knows. ^o^

@lmnz - your awesome, don't worry about it. XD haha

uLTraCarL

Smash Rookie
I will buy a bullhorn/megaphone :chuckle:

mistar FargoKraft, I'm gonna upload the pics I took on my site. I'll send you the link in a bit

Truegamer#1

Smash Ace
Yeah this tournament was Bad@#*, but i got some things to say

I think i definantly had this tournament but somehow I got second after winning all the way in the Winners bracket, and then losing to Leo(smasher in Vegas that i forgot that i played in vegas), :laugh:

Question has anyone ever lost in finals, meaning have u ever been to a tournament where a guy has been on a winning streak and then looses at finals?
I just want to know, that way i dont feel like a noob...:laugh:

Doug, the best Game & Watch player in Brawl (so far) props...

Mango, no need to get mad just cause my Meta is better than urs:laugh: dont trip cause im not, you'll probably beat me in the next tourney that u see me in

this was my first Brawl tournament, 2nd place, Im satisfied (im going pro :laugh:)

lets not do this again,(2 stock 3 minutes) more Televisions and Wii console will solve this problem, Just ask me if u guys need more tvs or something FargoKraft, lol

I dont think i won $62.10, more like $41, its cool cause of the pizza and stuff...
lol

bottom line, this tournament was bad@#* and looking foward to the next one :bigthumbu

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
GGs, fun tournament. Big tournament as well. Free pizza = too good.

Again, sorry that Metaknight's gay. I don't like him either lol. He just happens to be my best character.

@Fargo: Update the first page with results, too.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Great tournament, especially the free food, up until I had double sudden death and the time ran out

No excuse for time running out. If it was gonna come close you should of at least warned people

And everyone wanted 7 minutes to be the standard. Neither me nor edrees played campy.

I would argue counterpicks, but no one used them, so whatever

uLTraCarL

Smash Rookie
No excuse for time running out. If it was gonna come close you should of at least warned people

And everyone wanted 7 minutes to be the standard. Neither me nor edrees played campy.
There is no excuse given. FargoKraft has already stated that the turnout was much higher than expected, practically double the amount. It also doesn't help that matches took forever to complete. Doubles took about 2 1/2 hours roughly and that is including finals with a noon start time. Edwaurdo and FargoKraft started the singles at about 1:50ish I believe. I think around 3:30-4PM, time was becoming a concern as the closing of the building was coming up and the singles was nowhere near completion.

The DeVry building "offical" operating hours on Saturday (same for Long Beach) are from 8AM to 6PM. We were lucky to have even stayed in there for that long.

If you had a better solution for the situation at hand, what would you have done instead? This is about adapting to the situation, not claiming to be unprepared or anything of the sort.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
There is no excuse given. FargoKraft has already stated that the turnout was much higher than expected, practically double the amount. It also doesn't help that matches took forever to complete. Doubles took about 2 1/2 hours roughly and that is including finals with a noon start time. Edwaurdo and FargoKraft started the singles at about 1:50ish I believe. I think around 3:30-4PM, time was becoming a concern as the closing of the building was coming up and the singles was nowhere near completion.

The DeVry building "offical" operating hours on Saturday (same for Long Beach) are from 8AM to 6PM. We were lucky to have even stayed in there for that long.

If you had a better solution for the situation at hand, what would you have done instead? This is about adapting to the situation, not claiming to be unprepared or anything of the sort.
Stop riding this guys **** and look at the facts.

Fargo hosted a BRAWL tournament, he should have been aware that EVERY ****EN BRAWL TOURNAMENT IN SOCAL has had over 50 people, (with the exception if there was others the same day).

So lets see, if he would have done some basic research he might have been able to convince others to bring tv's/wiis, thus making the tournament run faster, and perhaps even giving people the time limit they asked for. After all, he said the time limit never runs over, so what does it matter if it goes to 7 minutes, amirite?

IDK what you're talking about when you're saying "claiming to be unprepared" when i'm pretty sure the other tournaments that have been run here have been of the same quality.

LuCKy

Smash Master
$3? i'm sure enough people will come for you to do a normal 5 dollar entry plus teams >_> it's brawl......everyone and their mom is gonna come
.............lol

i should have made more sense in my first post

ROFL i seen this coming,but the tourney was fun either way

fargokraft

Smash Apprentice
The true flaw had nothing to do with me not being prepared despite the excuses we're coming up with.
I planned the tournament exactly the way I wanted it to go- ready for the usual amount of people. Yes we had more- but I DID take this into account. But what really put us behind was because despite all the logic I put into the situation- I still surcame to the enticing possibility of pulling off TEAMS. I took a risk, and it went wrong. Such is life.

So I completely agree, its not good business- there is no excuse. I apologize, and promise such a thing to never occur at a tournament, ran by ME, again.

I'm starting to strongly consider Endrees proposal of 2 stock- 7 minutes. Skilled players do drag out the game, and do so without being campy. The weaker players would easily get *****, and that would cut down on a lot of time. I'd have to test it with a few of my friends to see if its satisfying for me. If I'm not at the very least satisfied, I doubt other players will be.

@TrueGamer- yeah, that saddened me, haha. That you lost- I was rooting for you, and not just because the building was closing. XD

@Oonoiroo- good point, I shall

@ResidentWaffles- I don't remember. XD

@Lucky- I'm confused, haha. But glad you had fun. ^_^

==================================

I won't be hosting another tournament for probably 5 weeks I think.
I'm on an 8 week session thing, this was the 5th week.
These next 3 weeks are business oriented things. (including finals and projects)
Then after that is the 1st week of my next session.
So ideally- I'd host another on either the 2nd or 3rd week of my 2nd session.
And then 2 weeks after, probably another.
Rulings, I haven't decided yet.
Depends on whether or not I want a cooky tourney, or an intense one again (like this one) :D

DYF

Smash Cadet
I think I speak for all of the vegas crew when I say great tournament!!
We all had a lot of fun and thanks for having us, It was a very good idea making the stop =]]

Thanks roundtable for cheering me on during my final matches <3 and for coming with us to didddney land.

and thanks for the compliment truegamer =]. Too bad I nubbed out I wanted 2nd place haha

Top Bottom