• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Custom Music Hub: Archiving all the music in one place!

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Also, I've asked this before, but maybe someone actually has an answer.

So, let's say you have some music... and you then maximize the volume to the highest it can go without "clipping" or "distortion", i.e. "Amplify" in Audacity or "Max Volume" in GoldWave.

But.... here's the problem. It's STILL too quiet. Not just "slightly quiet", but "pathetically quiet".

If you used the original audio and made a BRSTM and played it in Brawl, it'd be almost non-existant. But if you amplify it to about 5-6 dB, and then make a BRSTM and play it in Brawl, it's STILL FAR too quiet.

Short answer... if a song is FAR, and I mean FAR too quiet even at "maximum amplitude", how in God's name do you make it actually sound louder, without distorting the sound?

How do you solve the problem of BRSTMs that are too quiet to even be worth actually using them as custom music in Brawl? Most SNES games for example, e.g. Yoshi's Island, DKC, probably Super Mario World, would have this problem... heck even a few N64 tracks, such as from Goldeneye have this problem.

The basic point of this post, is that after I've converted some file (SPC, USF, etc) to WAV...
The original WAV is too quiet.
After maximizing amplitude (even by as much as 6 dB or above) to the maximum (i.e. 0 dB) it's STILL too quiet.
Amplifying any higher causes it to clip.... but it's too quiet otherwise...

Segtendo? Ever wonder why I added DKC to the queue, but not DKC2 or DKC3? This is why. I've been trying literally since August 2010 when I first joined BCM, to make BRSTMs from these games. The only way I've done them is by butchering the sound quality, by repetitively cutting peaks, and stuff.... but as I said, it butchers the quality.
Compression and crap, doesn't really do anything. I'd rather have "louder with good quality" than "make everything flat, and sound like you're holding a paper cup to your ears, or your ears are full of mud of something".
Put the in-game sound to just music. It makes hearing every song a lot better, even the loud ones. The SFX make it very hard to hear the quiet parts of songs, or songs that aren't that loud. The ones that tick me off are ones where the drums are way louder than the rest of the parts, so when you amplify, everything's quiet but the drums. It's so annoying :urg:

soneek

Smash Ace
Deciding on a Resident Evil: Revelations logo. Which one?

[collapse=Logo 1]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Logo 2]
[/collapse]

Will crop and stuff later. :p

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
Put the in-game sound to just music. It makes hearing every song a lot better, even the loud ones. The SFX make it very hard to hear the quiet parts of songs, or songs that aren't that loud. The ones that tick me off are ones where the drums are way louder than the rest of the parts, so when you amplify, everything's quiet but the drums. It's so annoying :urg:
The point was that when I make BRSTMs, even after amplifying to the so called "maximum amplitude", they're still too quiet.

And how do you make in-game sound to just music? DKC2 and DKC3 don't have that option IIRC, and not all games do.

Also, about the announcements being years old, something on Wikipedia got me suspicious:
"At September 28, 2008 Major League Gaming acquired Smashboards.com"

Of course, it should be "On" not "At", but whatever. The point is... why the hell were the announcements made on April 2? Today is NOT April 1st. It's April 2nd. Those announcements would have only just been announced like very late in the evening, heck it was already 1 am this morning, Eastern, when the "sold" topic was made.

Also, you know Mario Golf (the Nintendo 64 game)? The European/Australian version has a different tune for the Intro. Now.... I have two questions...
1. Does anyone know how to mute the sound effects of the game, so that there's just music?
OR
2. Is it possible for someone to 'rip' the USFs from the European game? Or at least the Intro Music?

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
TUK (welcome back), where did you find the GBS file of Super Mario Land 3 : Wario Land ?
Um.... no offence but.... if you know GBS files exist then that's a pretty silly question... that's like asking "Where did you find Yoshi in Super Mario 64 DS"? :p

The point is... if you know where to get GBS files, then Wario Land should be there.
In my case:
http://gbs.joshw.info/w/

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Oh, you got it from here ? I got mine from Zophar's Domain, but that particular GBS file doesn't work, which is why I asked. :p

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Mmm, those RE Revelations MP3 have intros and some variations within the same files (Terragrigia Panic II is a good example). I'll see what I can do for those loops.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
So I solved the problem about the playlists not having the correct title.
It so happened, that the latest version of GEP fixed something about playlists... so now at least I know what I'm doing :p

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Sounds good !

I like how the Game Over song in the RE Revelations OST is placed just after the music that plays when confronting this enemy for the first time :

soneek

Smash Ace
Did a few DK64 songs, and I'll do more later. Also TUK? Come into IRC when you get the chance please.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
How did you do the DK64 songs?

The soundtrack only has a few songs, and the USF rip, has some stupid 'bug' where a noticable fraction of the first second is cut off.

soneek

Smash Ace
I used the USF rip. I didn't notice the beginnings of songs missing, just a crackle at the beginning of each one. They sounded fine after I cut them out.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
I might do Mario Tennis (64), and/or the GBC versions of Mario Golf and Mario Tennis.

Meanwhile, does anyone have ANY idea on how to get the European/PAL version of Mario Golf (64)'s Intro theme?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
The point was that when I make BRSTMs, even after amplifying to the so called "maximum amplitude", they're still too quiet.

And how do you make in-game sound to just music? DKC2 and DKC3 don't have that option IIRC, and not all games do.

Also, about the announcements being years old, something on Wikipedia got me suspicious:
"At September 28, 2008 Major League Gaming acquired Smashboards.com"

Of course, it should be "On" not "At", but whatever. The point is... why the hell were the announcements made on April 2? Today is NOT April 1st. It's April 2nd. Those announcements would have only just been announced like very late in the evening, heck it was already 1 am this morning, Eastern, when the "sold" topic was made.

Also, you know Mario Golf (the Nintendo 64 game)? The European/Australian version has a different tune for the Intro. Now.... I have two questions...
1. Does anyone know how to mute the sound effects of the game, so that there's just music?
OR
2. Is it possible for someone to 'rip' the USFs from the European game? Or at least the Intro Music?
I was talking about Brawl. There's a sound equalizer and you can set it to all music, no SFX. The default setting is 50/50. Starphoenix, wrong thread. If you want BRSTMs, feel free to post them in the BRSTM Factory, which is right next to this one :cool:

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
I was talking about Brawl. There's a sound equalizer and you can set it to all music, no SFX. The default setting is 50/50. Starphoenix, wrong thread. If you want BRSTMs, feel free to post them in the BRSTM Factory, which is right next to this one :cool:
But the point in putting them in Brawl is to be able to hear them while playing with sound effects.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
My headphones costed 2 euros, or 2,67 $. :laugh:

I think what DS77 is trying to say is that when you listen to the BRSTMs through Brawl without SFX, you can hear how loud the BRSTM actually is on the TV. If it's louder / quieter than the default Brawl songs, then there are a few kinks to work out :)

Alaric Skywalker

Smash Ace
@Flame Hyenard & TheUltimateKoopa

Question, one we get back to work on the site's coding, could it be possible to add a "Sound Test" for those uploading a new BRSTM to make final checks on their BRSTM files before uploading it?

If you're confused about what I'm talking about, I'd be glad to explain it to the best of my abilities.

soneek

Smash Ace
@Flame Hyenard & TheUltimateKoopa

Question, one we get back to work on the site's coding, could it be possible to add a "Sound Test" for those uploading a new BRSTM to make final checks on their BRSTM files before uploading it?

If you're confused about what I'm talking about, I'd be glad to explain it to the best of my abilities.
The site already has a sound test...

Alaric Skywalker

Smash Ace
@Soneek

I meant in regards to what TUK and Flame were discussing, regarding the creation of brstms. (But if that's what you meant, could you link me to it please?)

soneek

Smash Ace
It's the preview button next to each song, on the pending page, and on each game page.

Also, turns out we were mistaken with Fatcow. Those low prices are only for normal sites, and we need VPS hosting. Fatcow said there would be extra charges for excessive storage, CPU usage, and bandwidth, and they don't have anything specific about pricing plans. I've read a lot of reviews in which people claimed to be overcharged, so I don't really trust Fatcow. They're pretty shady.

I checked out other VPS hosts, and their prices are insane. Our current one is the best one out there from what I can find. It's just a matter of paying it off, and tomorrow the site will be down again. I'll pool in what I can, but PM me if you wanna help out, or just find me on IRC.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
Alaric? I think you need to learn something.
You're NOT part of the "group". So please stop saying "we".

Not only that, but the only people who can do anything related to codes is Ijah (and maybe soneek?). Therefore, don't ask me or Flame, or anyone else about anything relating to the site.

All Flame and I, as well as the other staff do, is:
Make BRSTMs
Upload BRSTMs
Add videos to the queue

Only 1 or 2 people actually have anything to do with the actual site itself.

Also, what I'm referring to, Alaric, is simple.
How do you make a BRSTM that's too quiet, louder?
The Sound Test thing was to see how loud the BRSTM was compared to normal Brawl songs (as in songs that were already in the game). The best thing, would be to, for example, download, or play a BRSTM from Brawl on the site, and then compare it with your BRSTM (not literally yours, but whoever is uploading it).

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Alaric? I think you need to learn something.
You're NOT part of the "group". So please stop saying "we".
I've been wanting to say this for a long time,.

Alaric, if you wanted to say "we," you'd have to contribute to the site in someway.
TUK and I are in charge of adding songs to the queue.
I can upload logos.
Flame is just an active member (who I believe has mod powers).
Soneek made the backup of the site.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
It's not that, it's that he says it as if he's like the staff (e.g. a moderator or admin of the site).
I mean all this thing about "I'm going to organize a meeting with the group", or whatever. He's almost acting not just like part of "the group", but even like the leader. He's almost acting like he's the boss of us.... no offence.

Also, on an unrelated note, since someone added the logo, I added Revelations to the queue .... <_<
Now, for no reason, I'm going to go through a random list of games that don't have logos...
Ecco the Dolphin (673) -- Genesis version
Game Boy Camera (221)
Game Boy Gallery (524) -- The European/Australian-exclusive game, of which the sequel was simply known appropriately as Game Boy Gallery 2, but in US and Europe was simply known as Game & Watch Gallery, and more confusingly Game Boy Gallery in Japan
Goldeneye: Source (557) -- IF there's a specific logo for that, that is
Jet Force Gemini (662) -- Why not?
Mario Golf (218) -- Nintendo 64 version
Micro Machines '96 (826)
Micro Machines 1 and 2: Twin Turbo (532)
Micro Machines 2 (764) -- Game Gear version
Micro Machines 2 (827) -- Genesis version
Micro Machines 64 Turbo (198)
Micro Machines Military (825)
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 (576)
Street Fighter II Turbo (548)
Tetris DX (210)
The Lion King (749) -- Genesis version
Top Gear 2 (101)
Wario Ware, Inc (413)
Yoshi (540) -- Specifically the Game Boy version -- this game was released as Mario & Yoshi in Europe, and Yoshi's Egg in Japan, IIRC

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
The current admins of the site are:
Ijah, Segtendo, Moosehunter, and me

The moderators are:
FlameHyenard, Soneek

Wait... 2 mods and 4 admins? Although the admins also have mod powers, so basically it's 4 admins and 6 mods really... it's just that 2 of the mods are not admins.

Also, it appears BCM's most recent member is ProtoMKW.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
Also, remember how RealFaction said something about removing the copyright strike?
I just check the strikes and we have...
2 strikes:
1 by RealFaction on 21 Feb 2012
1 by Record Industry Association of Japan on 12 Mar 2012

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
IIRC, Soneek wanted to talk to RealFaction about removing the copyright.

soneek

Smash Ace
Got some more DK64 up earlier.

Also, I'm not sure what time we'll be down tomorrow, but we'll figure something out.

I'll remind RealFaction about trying to remove it.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
As for other interesting things:
We have 1 expired subscription, and one unpaid invoice of $37.88

The subscription expired on 14th March 2012, and is currently graced. The grace period, as soneek has said, ends tomorrow.

Therefore, the site might be down tomorrow, but when we pay, the NEXT payment will be due in just 10 days.

The payment is, for the "Order on renew subscription from 14-Mar-2012 up to 14-Apr-2012"

Top Bottom