• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Competitive Videos - NEW Wifi Wars Brawl Tournament Videos! (2-11-08)

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Wait, so now, you can actually dash multiple times in the same direction? Is it only the starting animation (like a traditional DD), and is there any lag between the dashes?

Also, you said you can still do the "long" dash dance. By this, do you mean, one can still pivot after the opening dash animation, or the slow "turning"? If it's the former, Sonic is going to be freakin' awesome.

Edit - Two more things.

Can you "float-cancel" a jump into a glide with flying characters? For example, if you jump with Metaknight, is there any way interrupt it with gliding?

Second, what can the Ice Climbers do out of a grab? (Chain throws... infinites... anything?)
I couldn't really tell much about the multiple dash thing because I couldn't perfect it. Imagine Street fighter's dash forward (like in third strike) where you can do it multiple times forward. I used it with Fox the most and I could do about 5 or 6 dashes in a row straight forward across the level.

I'm not sure about the float cancel. I will check on that later.

The Ice climbers, from all the conventional methods, can no longer de-sync or wobble. I'm not sure about chain grabbing, but I doubt it because the hitstun is so much lower.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
Oh please do Wolf...he is officially my fav newcommer now :D

And nice "review"

Also inb4landmaster jokes.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Youre crazy!! links moves arnt weaker most of them are stronger its just that his up b got nerfed -_-
His ground smashes may have been improved but his aerials didn't seem like it at all to me. His dair and uair still have a lot of landing lag, unfortunately. Since I am a competitive player from Melee my natural instinct is to do tons of shffles. I couldn't stop trying to L cancel every move. When I say his moves are weaker I usually mean in terms of aerials with smashes coming next.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
u didnt feel like u were playing smash brothers? the game is called smash brothers. i think ur mixing up melee and smash. ur try to compare things to melee and ur making it sound really bad. Everyone know its alot different than melee, but the objective is still the same as it was in the last two games, to knock ur opponent off the ledge.
if there is a competitive brawl scene then it will devop just like meele has. those people that cant adapt to the changes probly wont like game. Everyone should try it for themselves.

i understand ur giving ur honest opinoins, i just dont want people getting the wrong ideas untill theyve played it for themselves.

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
Very informative.

I have some questions about Ike.

1. What are all Ikes grabs, and how useful are they?

2. Is Ikes forward smash fast enough to say... hit an opponent he had just thrown in that direction?

3. Does he have ANY move that doesn't have extreme knock back? just something to trip up an opponent?

4. and lastly, what distance move in melee would you compare to his fully charged side b to?

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
His ground smashes may have been improved but his aerials didn't seem like it at all to me. His dair and uair still have a lot of landing lag, unfortunately. Since I am a competitive player from Melee my natural instinct is to do tons of shffles. I couldn't stop trying to L cancel every move. When I say his moves are weaker I usually mean in terms of aerials with smashes coming next.
ohh lol

Can you give us an rewiew of olimar cuz he is looking really good in the videos so far :)

sv3

Smash Apprentice
This is exactly the kind of topic I've been waiting for on this board.

I second the question about any thoughts on ZSS if you've been able to play her yet.

LoserNumber2

Smash Apprentice
do you think brawl will be competitive even with the some of the advance techniques taken out from melee?

Also, is lucario any good?

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
u didnt feel like u were playing smash brothers? the game is called smash brothers. i think ur mixing up melee and smash. ur try to compare things to melee and ur making it sound really bad. Everyone know its alot different than melee, but the objective is still the same as it was in the last two games, to knock ur opponent off the ledge.
if there is a competitive brawl scene then it will devop just like meele has. those people that cant adapt to the changes probly wont like game. Everyone should try it for themselves.

i understand ur giving ur honest opinoins, i just dont want people getting the wrong ideas untill theyve played it for themselves.
What I mean by "it doesn't feel like I'm playing Smash Bros" is that the game has a totally different feel than the previous two. It seems more like they developed the series after Smash 64 and they pretended Melee never even existed. Have you ever played Battle Stadium DON or Jump Ultimate Stars? It felt like I was playing one of those, not the successor to Melee.

Irow

Smash Ace
Can you give me information on how Marth's fair works now. I've seen in videos: SHDF and his Fair sending a person far away like Sheik's slap from Melee.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I want some Ness info:

Is his fair still as disjointed as before.
Are there still uair combos?
DJC: Is it in?
Is it just me, or does his pk fire go much farther in vids.
Is his bair still powerful?
Are psi magnet and flash faster?
Is it easy to edgeguard him still?
Is his dair faster?
Is yyg in?
Are his yo-yos usable now?
Is his u-tilt the same?

Proven

Smash Apprentice
What I mean by "it doesn't feel like I'm playing Smash Bros" is that the game has a totally different feel than the previous two. It seems more like they developed the series after Smash 64 and they pretended Melee never even existed. Have you ever played Battle Stadium DON or Jump Ultimate Stars? It felt like I was playing one of those, not the successor to Melee.

It's like that? Awesome! I'd fit right in then. I'm better at Melee than I am at either of those, but it's close enough for me.

Also, other than my earlier questions on ZSS, I want you to check up on Olimar as well. From what I've seen, Forward B is an annoyance attack, and up to 3 pikmin can cling to any one person, or maybe they just have to not move at all. His smashes and many aerials use one or two pikmin at once, and each pikmin has their own damage and effect. What else can you give me from there?

Edit: Also, many of the questions on Marth answered in the OP's link to his website. Why aren't any of you looking? Or are you just dissatisfied?

Irow

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, how do Marth's grabs work now. Are they still weak, or are they stronger. It'd be funny if he could still chaingrab though.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
*Suscribes*

Finally we can get some insight from a competitive smasher, can't tell you how much the community appreciates it. I mainly have three characters of interest, hopefully you can provide some more information about them.

-Falco-
About Falco, he seemingly lost a ton of KO potential. From some vids, he looks like he has to rack up quite a bit of damage before he can really move in for a kill. Which moves did you find to KO best, and was it easier to get vertical kills? Also, there's lots of speculation on possible dual-blaster capabilities. Have you seen any signs of him using two blasters? And now about his shine. How and when does the shine actually hit the opponent? Does it push them away like Fox's, knock them upwards like in Melee, any real combo potential?

-Ganondorf-
From what I've seen, he's just horribly slow, much, much slower than Ike. Is his strength improved overall to compensate? Does his Down-B give you an extra jump? Oh, and how does his Forward-B work? I saw him rush toward the opponent, begin to choke-hold them above the ground, an explosion happens at his hand and then they end up on the floor. Is there any other trajectory he can send them at?

-Sonic-
I don't have too much to ask about him...I noticed he wasn't in your charater impressions so it's alright if you can't answer. Does his Up-B hit the opponent on the way up? And just being curious...in comparison to Falcon/Fox, how fast does he really run?

Sorry for asking for all this info, hope I'm not much of a nusiance, but It'll clarify so much. Thanks so much!

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
ya i understand, i have been expecting a game different than the first two, after all it is a sequal not an expansion.

just wondering, do u think the game is or will be as deep as melee? all i care about is if its fun and competitive

Adi

Smash Lord
Question about Falco. Are any of his moves SHFFL viable, and what I mean by that is there low enough lag on any of his moves that he can start combos after landing a short hop aerial on the ground.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Very informative.

I have some questions about Ike.

1. What are all Ikes grabs, and how useful are they?

2. Is Ikes forward smash fast enough to say... hit an opponent he had just thrown in that direction?

3. Does he have ANY move that doesn't have extreme knock back? just something to trip up an opponent?

4. and lastly, what distance move in melee would you compare to his fully charged side b to?
1.I don't remember all of them, but his down grab was to slam them against the ground, kind of like Sheik's from Melee. His forward and backward throws were like Marths but they looked way cooler. :p

2. It comes out fairly fast but it takes a while to wind down. Since characters have little hitstun I don't think you could hit then out of a grab.

3. Honestly his knockback for most of his aerials and his tilts isn't that high. It is just his smashes that are ridiculously strong (and slow).

4.It is like the distance of an uncharged side B with Luigi times 1.5 . Does that make sense?

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
1.I don't remember all of them, but his down grab was to slam them against the ground, kind of like Sheik's from Melee. His forward and backward throws were like Marths but they looked way cooler. :p

2. It comes out fairly fast but it takes a while to wind down. Since characters have little hitstun I don't think you could hit then out of a grab.

3. Honestly his knockback for most of his aerials and his tilts isn't that high. It is just his smashes that are ridiculously strong (and slow).

4.It is like the distance of an uncharged side B with Luigi times 1.5 . Does that make sense?
yes it does, and thank you much. ^_^

Ruggeth

Smash Journeyman
Is Diddy Kong any good? Some depth on the lighter characters would be great.

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
Can Falcon still moonwalk?

And if you didn't get Wolf yet, he's inside a hidden door in SSE. Instead of going down you keep going on the ledge that looks like it's about to end, but it's not. That's all I know, the person I asked didn't want to spoil anything from SSE.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
I have a few MOTHERnerd questions...

1) How do Ness and Lucas compare?

2) Is Ness more similar to his 64 self or his Melee self?

3) Is there any plausible reason to ever use Lucas' upsmash?

4) What are Lucas' throws?

5) PK Flash... Is it improved over the Melee version? If so/not, how was it changed?

6) Ness' PK Fire seems to have more range, is that the case?

7) Is the stun on Lucas' PK Thunder very long, or does it leave the enemy relatively unflinched, ala Melee Fox's blaster?

And most paramount- 8) Can you DJC with Lucas or Ness?

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
Hey LeeHarris.

I searched the internet for ya and here is how to unlock Wolf:

To unlock Wolf, go to the stage "iseki" (Ruins). If you can't read Japanese and don't know which stage that is, it's in the eastern mountainous area, and the level has a lot of moving platforms and fire shoots from traps on the ceiling floor very often.

Part-way through the level, you'll get to a flat platform that lowers you down a huge pit, and while being lowered down, there are large crystal spikes on the walls that will come out at you... On the way down, you'll see a door, which is likely the one most of us went in because it looks like you fall into a pit if you keep going down.
Nevertheless, skip that door, and stay on that platform until it disappears. At the bottom of the pit is another door. Go in that one, and there will be Wolf cutscene.
Now, get to work, a full Wolf review and I want it on my desk YESTERDAY!!!! (Just kidding m8, just kidding ;) :p)

Oh...

And a Toon Link impression would be nice, see I LOVE Y.link, I know by now that he's a clone, but how does he compare to Melee Y.link? Is his Boomerang control still as godly? How about his Arrows? and his throws, and his sex kick? thx in advance man.

Top Bottom