• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ channel : a nice way to run brawl+ from any support (disc, USB, SD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabridge

Smash Journeyman
It would have been more convenient for it to autostart gecko os, since it's justs a gecko os channel with a Brawl+ logo, but it's good either way.

Good job. :D

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I googled cIOS and found a link to some cIOS known as

IOS36 made by some dude known as Waninkoko. Where do you even put these= ISO's?

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
Is the snapshot method directly related to this? I.e. do I need to use snapshots in order to run Brawl+ from this channel? Or could I simply boot Brawl+ from the channel and have my codes on my SD as normal?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
To those who have this channel? Are your Wii's firmware all 3.2?

Or did you manage this with the cIOS?

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
What does this channel do differently than loading Brawl and using the snapshot the old way?

Cero

Smash Lord
Ok. When I try to install the "load from SD channel", it doesn't work and it comes up with an error. I was able to install the "load from Brawl disc channel". But, when I tried starting the game from that channel, my Wii froze.

I recently set up a cIOS. So, I'm not sure what else could be the problem...

This is pretty complicated. Lol. :laugh:

EDIT: Wait. Nvm. It works now. I just took out the snapshot loader codeset.

I still want to be able to load the game from the SD or USB so I can avoid wearing out my Wii's optical reader...

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Dude it took me ******* forever, but I managed to get it to work.

**** yeah!

Edit: Woah I got the same problem Cero... I can't use the SD loader channel, I got ret error=-4001.

Cero

Smash Lord
Dude it took me ******* forever, but I managed to get it to work.

**** yeah!

Edit: Woah I got the same problem Cero... I can't use the SD loader channel, I got ret error=-4001.
Hmmm... Well, at least it isn't just me. Guess we'll just have to wait for the OP to log back in and hopefully tell us what we're doing wrong. :ohwell:

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Hmmm... Well, at least it isn't just me. Guess we'll just have to wait for the OP to log back in and hopefully tell us what we're doing wrong. :ohwell:

Dude, thanks alot for your help. I never would have gotten the first channel without your help.
And went through all of that.

Hopefully the fix will be simple.

Wander

Smash Journeyman

I put the Wad Manager app in its folder, put the channel .WAD in its folder, loaded the app in HBC, and installed the channel just fine. What's giving everyone so much trouble?

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
I'll try this channel out later, this is something I've always wanted in Brawl+. XD

I know its kinda early to be requesting...but feature requests:
1) To somehow automatically load from USB, but if no USB is found or no Brawl is found on the USB drive, it'll try loading from disk. Same thing with SD card. Some sort of menu to edit preferences.
2) Integrating an auto updater into the channel, with the option to download nightly build or the normal plussery.

*shrug* I think if those features were added, it'd be the most seamless way to play Brawl+, once installing the channel. However, even if they aren't, this channel is what I've wanted for quite awhile. :D Great work!

Cero

Smash Lord

I put the Wad Manager app in its folder, put the channel .WAD in its folder, loaded the app in HBC, and installed the channel just fine. What's giving everyone so much trouble?
Same.

I tried it with both the "load game from SD version" and the "load game from original disk version". The only one that worked was the "load game from original disk". The other one kept giving me errors.

Cutting time in loading Brawl+ is nice. But, what I really want, is to load Brawl without using the disk so I won't have to continue wearing out my Wii's optical reader.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master

Some people only hacked their Wiis to use GeckoOS for Brawl hacks, and followed specific instructions to do only that and nothing more, so they have no experience with installing wads, cIOS, or running programs other than the HBC.

NNID
Budget_Player

Well, I am personally confused by the whole deal of running brawl from a flash drive or the like; do I have to go download the game somewhere? That sounds illegal...

Also, what HDT said.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
Well, I am personally confused by the whole deal of running brawl from a flash drive or the like; do I have to go download the game somewhere? That sounds illegal...
If you install the USB Loader, it'll rip the game from the disk you put inside, so no downloading necessary (and definitely shouldn't be encouraged).

NNID
Budget_Player
I see. And then from the ripped game I can run the NSTC codeset from a snapshot...

Meh, I'll work with this when I'm where I don't already have brawl+ working.

How big of a flash drive will I need for this?

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Does anyone else want a snapshot for the latest Nightly Build? I can't make it myself because Brawl+Tweaker doesn't work properly for me. And I tried everything, so don't bother helping.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
This is just gonna get a whole lot of people installing random **** on their wii's in a half ***** attempt to get this to work.

Anyone who follows the guide in this thread without knowing what they are doing is permanantly modifying their Wii in a potentially dangerous way. Also, now that the source to Gecko 1.9.2 is out, theres no reason to use Snapshots anymore, even with the USB/SD loader.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
This is just gonna get a whole lot of people installing random **** on their wii's in a half ***** attempt to get this to work.

Anyone who follows the guide in this thread without knowing what they are doing is permanantly modifying their Wii in a potentially dangerous way. Also, now that the source to Gecko 1.9.2 is out, theres no reason to use Snapshots anymore, even with the USB/SD loader.
You know that you can remove WAD's, right? And this will be used until someone (I NOMINATE DANTARION) does something with the new Gecko, to make a B+ WAD.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Lucky me that I already have all the WAD related business on my Wii for my own ilegal desires (why Nintendo didn't put Smash Bros 64 on the North American virtual console is beyond me... and other games aren't too bad either...) and don't have to go through the trouble other people seem to have :V

Great job on this. I'll check this out tomorrow for sure.

If you do plan on doing anymore work for this, I would definitely recommend having the program connect to the Brawl+ servers that host the newest codesets for download. If a new one is available it would download it automatically (unless the player tells it to specifically not to). That would make this program perfect!

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I'd rather people remove the channel rather than uninstall the WAD... *afraid of someone saying "I bricked"*
Well we can do both :p
So there is really no risk in this unless you are an idiot and install a bunch of stuff tat will somehow brick your Wii, lol :p

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink

I still use snapshots because that way I can play normal Brawl and just switch into Brawl+ when I feel like it.
I do think the TC should put a warning that this is for more advanced users, to install Bootmii/Preloader as a precaution to bricks, etc.

Btw, finally installed it on my Wii (USB and DVD versions) and they work perfectly.
Though...why use the Backup Loader code for the DVD version? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the Gecko 1.9.2 source instead? Plus that way, you can use add a custom Brawl+ background to make it look more polished.

How big of a flash drive will I need for this?
Brawl is a pretty big game, so I would just get a 8GB one, they are only around $20 if you look around, possibly less. Though make sure you know what you're doing when installing a USB loader before you go out adding new hardware to your Wii, lol.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Exactly. Once you start installing random things on your Wii without knowing what you are doing, you can start to cause problems. People don't know how IOS works. People don't know about channel tickets, etc.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, I'm just saying that its dangerous to introduce people into the world of modifying their wii without explaining to them what things are.

Honestly, do you guys even know how to do a clean uninstall of all this stuff if you needed to?

smakis

Smash Ace
Installed it, works flawlessly, but as i understand it its simply a shortcut to geckoos? which means ntsc codes still doesnt work if you are using a pal brawl disc?

Mister Winter

Smash Rookie
It would have been more convenient for it to autostart gecko os, since it's justs a gecko os channel with a Brawl+ logo, but it's good either way.
Yeah i agree with you, but actually "autoboot gecko os" do not exist. I'm not a wii coder so I can't do it my self but a send a mail to on one of the gecko programmers to ask him if i can compile an autoboot version for brawl+ players. Wait and see

Is the snapshot method directly related to this? I.e. do I need to use snapshots in order to run Brawl+ from this channel? Or could I simply boot Brawl+ from the channel and have my codes on my SD as normal?
Ok I explain this once more. I made 6 differents channels. The gecko one allows you to play brawl plus AS BEFORE, i mean with an original DVD and the B+.gct file in your SD card. So if you have a NTCS brawl and a NTCS wii just use the gecko channel as you used the gecko app before.
If you DON'T have NTCS brawl AND NTCS wii (like me), you can't use gecko. But you can still play B+ with a loader (the iso on USB/SD or DVD) and the snapshots hack. My channels are "a nice way to play B+", they are just injections of others programmes in channels (an USBloader, an SDLoader and a DVD backup Loader). So to play B+ without gecko you have to use the snapshots method. (This is for now but it's gonna change soon i think because gecko is now Open source.)
Is it clear ?

What does this channel do differently than loading Brawl and using the snapshot the old way?
Nothing, channels are only for esthetic !

Ok. When I try to install the "load from SD channel", it doesn't work and it comes up with an error. I was able to install the "load from Brawl disc channel". But, when I tried starting the game from that channel, my Wii froze. I recently set up a cIOS. So, I'm not sure what else could be the problem... This is pretty complicated. Lol. :laugh: EDIT: Wait. Nvm. It works now. I just took out the snapshot loader codeset. I still want to be able to load the game from the SD or USB so I can avoid wearing out my Wii's optical reader...
So first of all, do the prior requirement "be able tu run regular brawl from one of the 3 supports". We will not help you to install an USBLoader, but you can find help on Gbatemp for example. And when you have succeeded in loading games from USB/SD/Backup DVD, came back here and use the right channel (USB, SD Or Backup DVD)

Can someone make a snapshot file for the latest nightly?
Sure : al_-8-13-2009-plusey_nightly_builds_set_5.0.bin
It's now on the first post. But I will not follow the nightly updates ...

If you do plan on doing anymore work for this, I would definitely recommend having the program connect to the Brawl+ servers that host the newest codesets for download. If a new one is available it would download it automatically (unless the player tells it to specifically not to). That would make this program perfect!
I know its kinda early to be requesting...but feature requests: 1) To somehow automatically load from USB, but if no USB is found or no Brawl is found on the USB drive, it'll try loading from disk. Same thing with SD card. Some sort of menu to edit preferences. 2) Integrating an auto updater into the channel, with the option to download nightly build or the normal plussery. *shrug* I think if those features were added, it'd be the most seamless way to play Brawl+, once installing the channel. However, even if they aren't, this channel is what I've wanted for quite awhile. :D Great work!
I also thought about this in order to make a single ultimate B+ channel but i'm not a wii coder. I really don't know how to do that ...

Anyone who follows the guide in this thread without knowing what they are doing is permanantly modifying their Wii in a potentially dangerous way.
I add your advertisement on the first port.
Also, now that the source to Gecko 1.9.2 is out, theres no reason to use Snapshots anymore, even with the USB/SD loader.
Yeah but USBLoaders don't yet include the last ocarina vertion...

Though...why use the Backup Loader code for the DVD version? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the Gecko 1.9.2 source instead?
Does Gecko 1.9.2 works for Backup DVD ? On on my wii he don't ...

Installed it, works flawlessly, but as i understand it its simply a shortcut to geckoos? which means ntsc codes still doesnt work if you are using a pal brawl disc?
NTCS code will never works with a PAL disc. But with the others Loaders channels you can run NTCS brawl iso on a PAL wii, thing than you can't do with the gecko Os.

Wow Huge post :-)

emme

Smash Cadet
Hi man awesome work!
Unfortunately it doesn't work with me but maybe it's because i'm trying to start an ntsc brawl on my pal wii that is installed on an usb mass storage device (an external hard drive)

i used "USB Brawl+ Loader for NTSC Wii and NTSC game.wad" but when the game starts i can only hear the audio with a black screen (maybe an error with the ntsc -> pal transition? dunno)

btw i normally use the usb loadergx for the usb games but that crappy gecko integrated in it is the old version at the momento so i have the code limit

emme

Smash Cadet
ops error
I used that lol (copy paste error xP)

USB Brawl+ Loader for PAL Wii and NTSC game.wad

Mister Winter

Smash Rookie
hmm ok and get a black screen with music ? Try to switch from 60hz to 50hz (ok to 50hz to 60hz if you are in 50) in the wii system option menu. Then you can try to disable Deflicker in the brawl's options menu by booting from your normal usbLoader. If nothing works you can try to change the B+ channel loader configuration by holding the B wiimote bouton when you start the channel.

Revven

FrankerZ
Exactly. Once you start installing random things on your Wii without knowing what you are doing, you can start to cause problems. People don't know how IOS works. People don't know about channel tickets, etc.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, I'm just saying that its dangerous to introduce people into the world of modifying their wii without explaining to them what things are.

Honestly, do you guys even know how to do a clean uninstall of all this stuff if you needed to?
Plus, it's just better to just completely SKIP the entire Wii Menu by using BootMii and boot through the HBC that way. Takes WAY less time for me now than to deal with that dumb Wii Menu where it takes like 5 minutes before I can start a channel up (exaggerating the time but you get the idea).

BootMii is safer and easier to install than this WAD business (which I've dabbled with already). The point is, BootMii does all of what this does but faster because you can access your HBC right on boot without even having to go to the Wii Menu and waste even more time.

The only times I go to the Wii Menu now are for SSB 64 and the off chance I need to use the Internet Channel. Otherwise, I boot through BootMii and go straight through the HBC.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm removing this channel that failed to install. I mean, it doesn't save you any steps. Let's see:

I have bootmii. so..

method 1: click wii, go to brawl+ channel, load up.

method 2: click on homebrew, click gecko, load up.

3 steps either way. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom