• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl-: 1.5-1.6 thread archive. 2.0 is stickied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

FrankerZ
Go to private > wii > app > RSBE and inside RSBE is pf, if you don't have a pf folder, that would be why nothing is changing.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
pf is inside RSBE which is inside app which is inside wii which is inside private

SD:\private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\

edit: falco explains things better

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I like how rob has a wavedashish thing, makes him have epic approaches

ss118

Smash Master
OK I'm going to make a suggestion for DDD: I know immediately that most people will look at what it is and go "that's stupid, don't do that". However, rather than just ignoring me completely and saying that I'm a terrible player right-off, read what I have to say about the change.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let DDD's F-smash impale(ground) people.

This was done previously in one of the VERY early versions of Brawl-, giving him the ability to attempt to stand up to characters such as Shiek, Luigi, Ness, Marth, and Falco(to name a few). Among FFAs and doubles it ran rampant as probably one of the most obnoxious moves ever: if your opponent was on the ground while you f-smashed, they got stuck in the ground, unable to move immediately. Even with it, DDD wasn't even top 10 in the game. The pure "obvious" stupidity of it, though, caused it to be changed around to where he had to charge the move and has at this point been removed completely(from my knowledge).

I suggest we bring it back. "ZOMG impale any player on the ground anywhere!?! That's broken!" If this is your first reaction I think you need to realize exactly what game you are playing.

Let's take a look at DDD as a character, first off. His down-throw is amazing: you can do f-tilt out of it if your opponent doesn't tech/ DI properly into another grab, and if you predict proper DI and a tech you can attempt to tech chase them into another grab. Eventually try to hit them with a u-tilt, or lead them into the air into a fair/ uair. Side B can be abused to help with projectile spammers, as DDD isn't exactly the fastest character and they are mostly a threat on the ground, which is where DDD excels anyway. His f-smash impaling people only makes his ground and tech-chase game that much more amazing without hindering aerial opponents: meaning she still has the same problems with most characters, but may be able to force his way past them.

So now you say "that's dandy, but now he's the most broken character in the game! Way to go!" Let us remember what move we are talking: probably one of the most easily telegraphed moves in the game, since DDD takes a century and a half to bring his hammer to the ground. Let's see how DDD would apply this move in obvious "broken" ways:

1) Out of down throw(generally as a tech chase).
-Probably one of the most problematic things about this is that DDD down-throws you and tech chases you with a f-smash, meaning you are impaled into the ground as he follows you up with(worst case scenario) a finishing f-smash. First off let us look at your options when you see DDD grabs(in the middle of the stage) and you know a downthrow is coming. You have two options initially:

a) DI down and away to touch the ground
b) DI up and towards DDD to stay in the air.

If you selected a, you have the choice of teching or not teching. Not teching is generally a bad idea versus the current DDD: it will end with an f-tilt into another grab, and we are back to deciding where to DI. If you do tech it, if they do the natural move and f-tilt then they can't follow you and you are free. They might predict a tech, though, and will surely try to chase you into another grab, hopefully near the edge so they can guarantee a d-throw->f-tilt. if they try to chase you and you don't tech, then you can do a get-up attack or roll away. At that point the DDD can shield the get up attack or try to dash dance to chase you if you roll the other way: though likely if they predicted a tech in a direction they will just run straight that way. What if you go with option B?

Option B is looked down upon because likely it will end with an easy f-tilt into another grab. But remember how they might expect you to tech? Yeah, they need insane reaction time to act based off of DI alone, so likely if they go that path you can just jump and get away, ending the chase altogether.

Now we throw in DDD's impaling f-smash into the equation. Now instead of f-tilting or running, the DDD can f-smash and hope that the opponent acted accordingly. If the opponent went with option B and the DDD f-smashed, well it's so obvious an opponent can easily jump + air dodge out of the way or just attack DDD in da face. So now to option a) diing it to touch the ground.

If you tech, now the opponent has to see if you tech upright or away. If you tech away, you can easily be tech chased(safer option), or f-smashed(bigger reward).

Now what if you tech upright? If they went out to chase you then they can just run up and grab again more easily than if you teched away. If they got greedy and f-smashed: prepare to get punished hard. If they f-tilted asap, then you were invincible the moment you teched up and your safe too. So adding this extra option actually made the chances of coming out on top worse for DDD, since it's a very big issue of risk vs reward. And I promise: everyone would love to get the f-smash off.

If the player didn't tech, the DDD gets a free f-tilt. Done, regrab, whatever. If the DDD runs, he has a choice of shielding a getup attack or chases a roll(or tries to do both). A DDD player might actually go beyond the get up attack's range and start doing an f-smash. If a player saw this, they would time it so the roll kept them invincible as the f-smash is released, meaning no damage to the player. even a get-up attack makes the player invincible for a decent period: and what if the DDD player charged the f-smash? If a player gets too antsy and rolls/attacks too early, then they stand the chance of getting punished maybe 1% harder and feeling even stupider about getting caught. And if they wait and react too slowly then they just get caught without doing anything.

"Hey wait! Now you're making this a game based more off of guesses and coin flips? Isn't that stupid as it undermines overall skill?"
-Yes. But then I look at the way some characters have randomly generated stuff(Ness' PK flash), and the way some characters just play(Ganondorf), and then I realize that this is Brawl- we are talking about: while we do want to capitalize on skill, we still want the whole WTF factor to go with most characters. I feel DDD is truly missing that aspect, and many other aspects for a good fighter at that.

So there goes the whole "ZOMG DDD has a broken tech chase game naoh" argument. Now for the other primary argument.

2) Spam-ability
-Yes, now DDD has a very good punisher for an opponent being too overly predictable, and it causes opponents to be careful about what DDD is doing, as well as what positions they are being put into and how to avoid them. But this covers the ENTIRE STAGE! How do we avoid this from being simply spammed at every waking moment?

Well, you need to know exactly what stops it. First off, Bowser is completely unaffected by this change. In fact, a good bowser play will just be side-b cancelling all over the stage to avoid DDD's amazing ground game so honestly DDD can kiss this match-up goodbye(DDD has to rely on his not-as good air game, which is an area that Bowser can beat DDD at).

You aren't affected by this if you are in the air. There are very few situations where you are FORCED to stay on the ground(and those are usually moments where you are better punished by something else), as if you see DDD sending an f-smash your way then a simple SH will suffice in avoiding it. And the lag is sufficient enough to take advantage of him afterwards as well. And if you apply half decent pressure(whether it be with projectiles or with quick attacks/ just being in yo face period), where is he going to spam f-smashes?

Finally, what can he do if he impales you? If you are close when you got hit by the f-smash and are close enough where he does a second one, likely if it was the tripping one you would of got hit by the initial f-smash as well. If they are too far away he simply CAN'T follow it with anything short of a dash attack.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's all! Thank you for taking the time to read it all, if you did.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
@ss118: lol you called D3 a her in the fourth paragraph like 4 times...

but yes i agree, i liked the impale. I didnt get it much but it was awesome when it worked

heety9

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it is, Brawl can only read 2 GB SD Cards. I suggest you go buy a normal 2 GB SD Card. Or use the Riivolution pack.
Can you please link me to a guide on how to do this with the Riivolution pack? Thanks a ton for all your help.

ss118

Smash Master
@ss118: lol you called D3 a her in the fourth paragraph like 4 times...

but yes i agree, i liked the impale. I didnt get it much but it was awesome when it worked
I don't know why: I had to stop myseld continuously as I typed all that up and I still missed some. =P

Shows what kind of impression "she" leaves now. xD

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Just letting you guys know that we have an NTSC-J codeset for Brawl Minus almost complete. Credits to whoever owns the Brawl+ Japanese site. I found the codeset for B- there and am editing it a bit.

Steven9wii

Smash Apprentice
So instead of him being able to link grab combos on people you get to run away more and hope people run into your grabs again. One of the things people complain about Olimar was his ability to rack ridiculous damage from a grab. I guess you took away that factor and instead focused on his fortress ability? I would have thought with the increased hit-stun Olimar would have had better combos.

I will look at the grab mechanics deeper; however, I think you should still consider patching Olimar.

EDIT: Olimar's pivot-grab is also glitch in that it does not follow the line order of the Pikmin. If I have a blue Pikmin in line and I pivot-grab (an ideal strategy for killing) it makes a jump (seemingly random) in my line. One time it moved from 4th position, one time it moved from 3rd, and sometimes it actually pivot-grabs with the next color in line as it was supposed to.

Here is some idea's I have for breaking Olimar instead of this:
-Blogger hitboxes (to compensate for his lack of priority)
-Higher second jump
-Giving up-special a slightly larger boost than in vbrawl and keep the 4 tether limit (instead of the current 2 tether limit)
-More purple-Pikmin (this can be hacked through terrain/stage)
-Aerial pikmin-pluck giving some sort of minor momentum boost (for recovery)
-Instead of increase power increase growth so combos still happen, yet get even more absurd killing power
-More KB on Pikmin-pluck
-Fix Castle Siege Pikmin-pluck lag (4 frames slower on the cave transformation)
-Cut landing lag on aerials

EDIT2: I am liking the hyphen-smash with delayed sour-spot. It works well with the auto crouch-cancel down-smashes in place of areas in where you would want to hyphen-smash.

EDIT3: Upon further inspection, using up-special again cures the glitch I mentioned earlier with getting the boost back. It seems like some induction of the ghost Pikmin glitch, but I cannot say for sure. If there is a way to just remove the glitch and get the boost every time that would be nice. Or perhaps you might try one of the ideas I had above. Olimar's recovery does not really need too much help.
i'm sure that if you realky wanted to, you could!!!

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Just a suggestion.

Making Ike jump faster would really change the dynamics of his combos.

Alot of things can't be followed very well because of his slow jump.

I know Kirk is a good Ike player so I'll leave it to him, but a faster jump would be quite beneficial.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
oh god I want to try that new version of Brawl minus. Less shield stun look awesome, and rep++++ for menu fixes.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Deadline for applications will be Sunday at midnight...ish. Not going to be overly strict(not like it will matter), but that's when the cutoff will be.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
yea i was thinking that and dont say this isnt a little to much but

EVERY CHARACTER SHOULD HAVE A REFLECTOR MOVE!!!!

^for dramatics

pierce brought up reflector properties (franklin badges) but I think it would easier to just give people a reflector move (like ness fmash)

people who actually have reflectors don't need a reflector move

examples
Peach -Fsmash reflects each with different properties like pan multiplies damage golf club multiplies and sends back a little faster tennis racket doesn't multiply but sends back fast (like wolf reflector speed fast

Kirby- Hammer and/ or Up-B (just the sword)
jiggs-Side B But only the fist
D3-JET HAMMER OF COURSE!!

just some examples so you see what I'm getting at

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
i could see it on some characters...but other characters (jigglypuff mainly) it has no place on

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
you right...lol...i just through out the idea so it didn't look like it has to be all about some kind of attachment (like a club or a hammer)

but now that i think about it...maybe it would be better to limit to attachments

which would mean luigi def couldn't have one...(YES!!!!!)

I forgot to sign up for the backroom...=[

so far my viable added reflector character list looks like
1.kirby
2.d3
3 peach
4. DK (that headbutt on a samus charge shot would be hilarious)

will probably be updated when i get home and have the CSS in front of me

Izaniki

Smash Apprentice
Just something I was wondering... Would it be possible/a good idea to let Link/TL be able to change the trajectory of their arrows? As in, tilt it upwards/downwards more? I find myself wanting to do that whenever I'm charging a shot for awhile, though I could see it being a little ill-advised maybe? Making their projectile game even STRONGER? :x

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
The only way I think that would work is if we nerf the arrows. But I don't know ****.

Izaniki

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I wouldn't want that :p

Only thing that kept bringing it up was that some characters are too short to get hit with certain kinds of Link's arrows, without doing anything at all. It's somewhat annoying :(

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Just tried Brawl- out for the 1st time in like 3 months. Great work guys.

Some 1st impressions

TL IS BEYOND BROKE. Maybe it's cause i have King Toon in my crew but god **** his projectile game is crazy. YOU CANT APPROACH HIM. He covers all angels and has COMPLETE stage control. Now notice im not saying tone him down or anything as im guessing TL being like that fits in with the brawl- mind frame. But **** is it annoying.

I LOVE PEACH!!! Haven't seen any good peach- vids so ill probably upload my own! So many mindgames with side b. And she has lots of shield breaker combos. I can't help but feel she can still do so much more with her turnips. Besides her side b cancel she doesn't really feel "brawl minsy" Maybe have fire/ice/lighting based turnips?(Don't even know if u can code that?)

I also LOVE Zss. She is so fast! One thing i would like to see with zss is if she charge her DSMASH let it go across the stage like pika's tjolt. Would give her more of a approach against spammers(TL ARRG!)

My crew is having a practice tonight and im going to see if they want to play brawl-. Hopefully ill get some good vids up. Cant wait to see what my crew can do with ddd,pika,lucas,ness,yoshi.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Lucas has been thrown into the shadow of Ness a bit, however I'm confident in his further progress.

I felt like reminding people that this thread still exists. You can go there to register who you are maining, it helps the progress of Brawl- as a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom