• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's Keep - Bowser Video Archive

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Well that's 2 minutes I'll never get back. Less Dsmash. And never use Bowser Bomb to get back on stage. Your opponent was pitiful, you made several openings the player could have capitalized on.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Well that's 2 minutes I'll never get back. Less Dsmash. And never use Bowser Bomb to get back on stage. Your opponent was pitiful, you made several openings the player could have capitalized on.
So that's it, huh? Nothing to say about the reads I was making? Nothing to say about that bair to his e-speed? I only miss 2 d-smashes, do 1 bowser bomb, and thus the video is trash. Nice.

Oh, and the classic "your opponent sucked." That's just lovely.

Mind at least telling me how I can improve? I can understand the bowser bomb complaint, but believe me, I'm not one of those "bowser bomb every time im above someone" kinda players.

Last edited:

trombonophone99

Smash Cadet
NNID
trombonophone99
@ Ghidorah14 Ghidorah14 I mean it's FG, and it was only one match. I recommend that, if you want honest and truly constructive criticism, play against someone who's better than you. If you do find someone like that on FG, sure record a few matches with them. The Lucario wasn't complete trash but he just wasn't anything to write home about.

Yeah there were pretty hype moments in it but if you were looking for constructive criticism, see above.

He did tell you how to improve. Less dsmash. It's a lot more situational than fortress, and it only does like 5% more I think? Not really worth. Usually there are better options, although at 0:54 I can see why you'd use it since the Lucario up b'd right into you so you wanted those multiple hit boxes to better confirm a punish, although a usmash might've yielded a better reward.

Don't air dodge near the floor of the stage too much, 22 frames you'll never get back (alluding to 2:23). At 1:55 I saw you did a SHAD but didn't special cancel, which a bowser bomb there would have been incredible (if you didn't know, short hop air dodge into a special will yield no landing lag and immediately start the commanded special).

You didn't land with bowser bomb, but you did land with bair a lot, and if you let that become a habit you're gonna get punished like crazy. Landing with an aerial as bowser is risky in general. It's good that you landed with fire breath a few times.

That's all I can say right now. If you want an essay's worth of constructive criticism, you could definitely try to record a set with someone who YOU KNOW is at least at or above your skill level.

Also, a lot of regulars here like @ MagiusNecros MagiusNecros tend to have a neutral or indifferent attitude (from what I've seen so far). Just don't take it the wrong way lmao.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
You got lucky with catching him in his extremespeed with both Dsmash(admittedly impressive and cool looking) and Bair so kudos on that. But I noticed you like feinting with empty hopping to bait out an opponent. Doing this is fine but on an opponent like that I'm surprised you didn't rush in and punch his face and make use of jab traps or punish some of his antics with a good old fortress to teach him a lesson.

Key mistakes that Lucario was making was engaging you with ES to begin with. Since in most cases a hitbox on that move is nonexistent.

I feel like you also need to move faster. Either it was me or your Bowser seemed rather slow. Might be Youtube though.

Practice though Pivot grabs. Start using them and maybe you can snatch the shoddy Lucario right out of his ES as well!

I will agree with trombo those Air dodges were pointless. If you must do something do Klaw since no land lag unlike AD. And you weren't in any danger anyway.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the tips. This clip is a month old, and I've since gotten better at avoiding bad habits like rolling directly into someone. Landing with aerials is something I still need to work on in general.

I havent played bowser nearly as much as I used to in the beginning. I'm still getting used to his new playstyle (as opposed to melee and brawl). I tend to forget just how fast bowser is now.

I'll see if I can get some games going on FG tonight...and not against players like that lucario, haha.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Ok, here's what I got on FG. This person was sadly the best I could find, and they only stuck around for like 5 games. On top of that, they resorted to spamming me to death after the first 3 games (something I still have trouble with). You'll notice, especially in the final match, that there were times where I'd get hit or whiff a move for no reason. Well, that reason was lag, so you know, more free hits for them. :urg:

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Ok, here's what I got on FG. This person was sadly the best I could find, and they only stuck around for like 5 games. On top of that, they resorted to spamming me to death after the first 3 games (something I still have trouble with). You'll notice, especially in the final match, that there were times where I'd get hit or whiff a move for no reason. Well, that reason was lag, so you know, more free hits for them. :urg:

1) Don't roll, or almost never roll.
2) Don't Nair to land on people.
3) Cancel shield into up B, don't release shield and then down Smash.
4) Don't use dsmash so much. Look at something like 1:15. You got him, but if he didn't roll (we both know this wasn't on reaction) into you it would have been an easy punish. Just jab. 1:34 you do it again, but this time he doesn't run into the dsmash.
5) Landing on the stage is a bad idea. Go to the ledge, it's safer.
6) Don't charge smash attacks hoping someone will run into them.

If you watch my own gameplay video I posted a few post above, you can see how you can be aggressive but significantly safer in your approach. Your opponent hates shielding for some reason, haha.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Putting this up as a reminder that I need to fix the OP in this thread before I start work, and content for you guys:

A friend of mine, LordMix, took a set off of Fatality in a recent tournament in Grand Finals. He ended up losing overall, but was able to reset the bracket (which is still a good feat, obviously).

(Disclaimer: I didn't actually watch the entire video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnmkBKwIIvw

Last edited:

arcticfox_14

Smash Cadet
NNID
arcticfox14
Hi all, went to a local tourney in Louisville, KY for the second time yesterday (got 3rd last time, lost to a villager/DHD/Diddy 0-3 in winner's finals, then to a villager 0-3 in loser's finals).

This time I placed second, first losing to a Cpt. Falcon in winner's finals 1-3.
Waiting for me in loser's (again) was the villager, but this time things went differently. You'll notice one of my victories was by tourney rules with Slam (which he could have come back from but was SHOCKED to learn that the simulkill doesn't work on every stage).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEjj50QtB65Qkyeay5SYYZW8qKz2ZJie8

I then faced the Captain again in GF, where I finally started to fix some mistakes, but ultimately dug myself into too many holes to dig out of, losing 2-3.
Game 1 didn't go great.

Game 2 I finally hit my stride, only losing because of stupid mistakes and the universe (read: THE CLAAAAW) being out to get me.

Game 3 we forgot to record...but I felt really good about Halberd, so we ran it back and was victorious despite a missed ledge Bomb resulting in a SD.

Game 4

Game 5

I think overall my biggest weakness is inexperience dealing with platforms and stage intricacies. You get none of that when you only play FG...
Anyway, I hope you all enjoy and please feel free to criticize my inexperience and rookie mistakes mercilessly.

Oh and um...hail King Bowser. :)

Volkrion

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! So last week I got to fight my region's top player (Cacogen from the Pacific Northwest).
I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on the set. I pretty much went into the set expecting to lose, but thought it would be a good learning opportunity for me. Would like to know your guys thoughts on what I did wrong and right? I felt I might've played different in the first game and second game. (Do you guys think I'm right in thinking that?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz786Wqjekk

Thanks!

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Volkrion Volkrion That was a lot of pressure. All said, you did a lot of things right in the first match. Mainly, waiting for him to commit to an approach first. I was very impressed with your first stock. Afterwards, you grew impatient and started to misread. Then your opponent shifted all the momentum. I think that you should focus on your strategy from the first stock and continue to refine what you can do to TLink after he screws up. That way you can answer with more than Fortress, especially after your opponent becomes mindful of it.

Last edited:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I have a few things to point out, and I'm going to keep them as short as possible:

1. Picture this: Toon Link has a bomb in his hand. It is a projectile, but it's now really difficult for him to hit you with an aerial or set up any sort of real 'pressure' at this point without getting rid of the bomb, or dropping and then catching the bomb again via aerial, or going for a ZAir. I'm a little fuzzy in regards to item mechanics in this game, but for the person you played against, this holds true. He did not attack you with anything threatening while bombs were pulled. He tossed them, dropped them, and then proceeded to set up legitimate pressure.

2. Everytime the player pulled a bomb, you rolled away, giving up a massive amount of stage control. That exchange of actions repeated itself multiple times throughout the set (watch the video again.) Why? You were giving him free space to work with due to a bomb pull. Think about that. When he tried to pull a bomb or toss it, he would frequently go into a short-hop, or double-jump to pull/toss them. Jumping in this game gives up a lot of ground control and puts you at a disadvantage (for most characters). You attempted to chase him down, but gave up on the effort midway. You never considered approaching with an aerial or an instant item toss when he opted to toss a bomb at you. If you chose either of those options, the bomb would have been caught, and you either would have thrown an attack out at the same time, or threw the bomb somewhere. You can't give control of the stage up like that, especially if he's just going to jump around.

3. Following up on what Luminaire said, you played pretty well for half of game 1, and then just lost your composure after losing your stock. I'm not sure what happened, but that won't do. When playing against someone, even if the character matchup or player matchup is mentally taxing, you really shouldn't switch up if you don't need to. If something was working for you for the first minute, why not keep using it? If you aren't given a reason to think otherwise, or a reason to adapt, you don't need to do anything. I am 100% certain that you lost that set due to yourself. You mentioned it yourself in the post that you went in there "expecting to lose", which is something you need to stop doing. Either expect to perform to the best of your ability, or don't expect anything at all when you play (I do the latter, if anyone is curious). Expecting a negative outcome is only going to hinder your play, and cause you to under-perform. That's all I'm going to say on that.

Adding more onto what Luminaire said, there was a lot of pressure, but it was extremely linear (bomb toss -> aerial with a very rare grab attempt mixed in). If you had just walked forward and held your ground, you would have been fine.

4. When you were close to him and you had your shield up, you used the auto-pilot Bowser option: Spotdodge -> UpB. I won't tell you to cut that out, because you did get him with it the first two times, but he adapted and just figured out that if he held his shield for about half a second longer, he would block the Up-B and punish you for it. Like I mentioned when I did that massive critique of your first batch of videos you posted, you have to really consider what options you're choosing when you're in a situation like that--especially when your opponent is beginning to adapt to the option you have chosen.

5. Don't forget the universal options you have in this game. I'm referring to short hop airdodge cancels with this statement. I'm not sure how useful it would have been, but you have to experiment with certain things to see what your opponent is and is not receptive to.

edit: thinking about it now, it would've been very useful. In fact, I actually made a post about an instant toss OS in this game that exists due to short hop airdodge canceling now that I remember. I'm too lazy to find the link, so I'll explain it briefly: put in the inputs for an instant item toss (airdodge + cstick direction) and then buffer a special move to cover both options. If the item comes near you, you toss it somewhere. If not, your special move comes out.

You did play different in the first and second game. As I mentioned above, the first half of the first game was very promising. Even though a few mistakes were made, it was still early, and you held your ground and were able to keep up with him. Then you became too impatient--I'm not sure if you just fell back on autopilot or what, but it became evident by game 2 that you had stopped trying to adapt to what he was doing. Your opponent became stuck on the same linear style of pressure because it was working.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Don't have any serious Bowser footage yet, so have a quick snippet from an FG match.

Trying to work on those spikes.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3/v/6790562

Went one of Bum's smash sessions in the Bronx yesterday. I appear on stream at the 34 minute mark, and the 1hr46 minute mark as well. It was just a sit down session, so it wasn't anything serious, but take it how you will.

My first match against Mewtwo was kind of awkward; I'm not sure how to explain it but I had to set myself straight and that kind of took a while lol.

If you want a sign that shows that I haven't played this game in a while, pay attention to the set against the Luigi. I definitely played as if Bowser couldn't just tank the fireballs, and the worst part about it was that I said and was reminded that Bowser can indeed armor through the fireballs lmao. I just had a huge mental disconnect during that set and just made it a lot more difficult than it needed to be for whatever reason.

Anyway, there's some solid stuff in there and some really odd things too. I was trying to figure out a good way to setup the DAir tech that we found a while ago. If timed right it does pretty much cover every single option (shockwaves hit meaty on normal getup, rolls get caught and anything else is spiked). Only issue is that I fear we are negative if the opponent techs the DAir onstage.

Another sign was that I kept messing up the instant toss OS on Bowser Jr's mechakoopas. Maybe it's because the item is so low to the ground, but it definitely did take me a while at first to find the timing.

This style of play is kind of different from how i played in tournament, but if you want to see good ways to land Bowser's command grab, I show how in multiple situations.

Last edited:

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Putting this up as a reminder that I need to fix the OP in this thread before I start work, and content for you guys:

A friend of mine, LordMix, took a set off of Fatality in a recent tournament in Grand Finals. He ended up losing overall, but was able to reset the bracket (which is still a good feat, obviously).

This is kind of crazy to watch, considering so many people coming back from CEO were telling me how amazing of a C. Falc Fatality is. I've watched it about 3 or 4 times now just taking notes on how Lord Mix handles this matchup. Thank you so much, Cassius.

Btw, can you explain why occasionally in neutral he throws out a full hop fair?

Last edited:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I don't know who the "he" in that question is referring to, but either way, it's probably because either the other player was jumping in the air a lot and they were expecting to catch something, or the player was just going off of expectations (ie, a player would probably jump in said situation) A lot of players tend to throw moves out just expecting an option and not actually reacting to it.

Last edited:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I saw you cancelling your klaw upon landing into other moves, usually f tilt. I have my guesses as to why you go for it, but I'd like to hear your reasons first.
Primarily so I don't have to deal with hard landing lag (it's not that big of an issue for me, but I suppose it is a reason all the same).

Additionally, while grabs don't have armor in this game, if the opponent happens to rush in while trying to punish my landing WITHOUT putting a hitbox out, they're going to get grabbed, 100% of the time. Obviously the way to beat that is to stick out a hitbox whenever I'm airborne, or roll behind me...or spotdodge, but then you're opening yourself up to more potential problems (what if I don't Klaw? What if I Bowser Bomb? DAir? Land and read your defensive maneuver?) That's the mixup. I've had years and years to think about how to abuse this move. It's not as good as it used to be, but I'll be damned if I don't use it at all during one game.

It was pure coincidence that FTilt happened to come out most of the time..that's just based on the position of me, my opponent and based on what I thought they were trying to do. If I was at the edge of the stage, they would need a dash grab to force me into a bad position (offstage), or a roll behind -> grab to set up damage and force a bad situation, so FTilt is a ranged option to box them out before they can move forward. A third option is them throwing out a disjointed move, in which case forward tilt would trade with due to hurtbox extensions. In most situations, I was okay with dealing with a trade because even though I would be sent offstage, they wouldn't be in a position to capitalize. I just needed some space, and I needed to stop their offense. In the case of the Mario player, he was being extremely aggressive (but not in a way that bowser can't handle, he was attacking my shield the whole set pretty much), so FTilt in most cases was just an anti air of sorts.

There are other multiple options like Klaw->jab for closer proximity, Klaw to up-b/down-b as a command grab fake, landing with air Klaw to ground Klaw as a read, etc. you can treat Klaw landing follow ups as really, really ghetto and kind of telegraphed option selects since Bowser has to commit to a direction for the command grab and then cover a specific option after that.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
LMAOOOO I DIED at the ending to the Marth match.

Against the Peach, you had a bad habit of getting hit in the air and trying to challenge Peach on the way down. Just land away!! Peach wants you to try to land on her face so she can just hit you back up.

And stop randomly spotdodging, foo! ;)
Yeah, I didn't respect the Peach at all lol. I'll do better next time.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A I don't see you punishing with grounded Bomb much. I see a lot of Klaw, though, which is risky against that Yoshi since he/she tends not to hide in shield and instead prefers to throw out attacks.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A I don't see you punishing with grounded Bomb much. I see a lot of Klaw, though, which is risky against that Yoshi since he/she tends not to hide in shield and instead prefers to throw out attacks.
Is grounded Bomb really that safe, though? The times I've tried to use it I get shielded and punished. Is it viable as an OOS option?

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Depends on what your opponent is doing. As a good rule of thumb, if you can punish it with shield drop Ftilt, you can punish it with shield drop Bomb. Yoshi's Down B end lag is a good example. You could block the star then grounded Bomb or run into a grounded Bomb if they're far enough away.
But yeah, if you have an opponent that keeps falling for Klaw because they shield too much, Klaw away. Just be aware that it won't beat attacks. If you think the opponent is gonna press the attack, try not to throw out Klaw accidentally.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ a stray cat a stray cat
First Match in set vs. Fox
First mistake was over committing to a FSmash like that against Fox. You threw out a Jab 1 and that was the perfect opportunity to assess if Fox would go in on you or not. You could Jab 1 -> spot dodge, Jab 1 -> delayed Jab 2, or Jab 1 -> some dash or pivot option and they'd all give you enough time to gauge your opponent. Instead, you left yourself vulnerable and lost momentum instantly, which makes it extremely hard to make out bad habits in your opponent.

Second mistake is rolling away from Fox after rolling back onto stage. It was a good opportunity to Fortress or turn-around Jab 1. Turn-around Jab 1 in particular is an interesting option because it would give you time to change what you follow-up with based on if Fox rolled or shielded. If Fox ate Jab 1, he's crossed up, so you could follow up with a grab or even Bomb.

Third mistake was jumping up from ledge and air dodging into Fox. A good option, since Fox was standing that far away, waiting to punish a standard ledge get up, would be to pull away -> double jump -> flame or land into spot dodge if you thought Fox would go for a dash grab.

Fourth mistake is your second DAir onto stage. The first one will catch an opponent off guard, but after that, your opponent is looking for it because it's one of our worst options. AA was certainly waiting for it.

It was smart to try and regain center stage afterwards, but you started throwing out moves to catch Fox, including a DTilt at the ledge, which never works at that timing, and another DAir. An early, angled up then down, flame might have been a different story. Otherwise, it's okay to stand a little away from the edge so you can maintain stage control or go for an instant ledge trump if you think Fox is sweet-spotting the ledge with Illusion. Besides, once you show you are good at ledge trumping, an opponent will HAVE to commit to an option at the ledge. Our BAir from ledge trump is just that dangerous.

Great catch with DTilt on a drifting Fox, closing the stock. Why roll into Fox, though? Then you used your double jump immediately after you got up from the ledge. Always try and save that double jump until the last moment so you can save yourself. Luckily, AA didn't capitalize on that mistake. It could have been worse.

In the second match of the set vs. Fox
- It's okay to hold down shield for a little longer or just let it drop. The constant rolling away was gut wrenching because our roll sucks.
- Amazing reaction to the mis-placed Up B from Fox. Great way to close out the stock. However, you rushed it with a jab 1 -> dash attack right after to try and secure a lead. Fox has no way to pressure you from range with that custom B because it's so slow. You could have taken it easy.
- Did you lose your second jump? That would have broke you out of the UTilt juggle better than air dodging.​

Oh no, not RosaLuma. First Match of this set.
- You started the match by rolling away again! She was right over you with a NAir! That's where you want her to be! Perfect opportunity to punish with a Fortress or even USmash OoS (if Luma fails to interrupt it)!
- Another air dodge into the opponent, this time against Rosalina.
- The get-up attack was probably an accident. Still, that's something to practice and avoid since the only time it should be used is if we catch an opponent charging a smash attack (if even then).
- Oh, no! The failed Bair? Or did you mean to fall into Luma with Fair? Were you using C-Stick for aerials?
- Why the dash attack into the ledge? That only catches people drifting above the ledge, not below. You were doing so well for a moment. It's okay to to take your time since you know you just destroyed Luma. You could have hung back or went for an instant ledge trump.​

Second match of the set vs. RosaLuma
- I saw a panic Jab buffer into a NAir hard landing early on. That could have been a shield.
- It's okay to try and cover your landing with Flame against RosaLuma. Unless she's going to dash in and roll under you, which is a terrible option for her, you've got some freedom in spacing the move. You could have probably tacked on damage against Luma early in the match, around the 8 second mark.
- Why do you keep drifting to the left when UAir hits you up and to the right? Just follow the momentum and drift right. Then, at least she'd be forced to use something other than UAir.
- You were doing so well and then you air dodged into Rosalina! Why? Well, no hard punish and you even secured the stock right after, but my heart can't take too much of that.
- Why did you double jump away from RosaLuma right after they respawned? That was the clincher for Boba Tapioca. Why not just stay on the ground or even escape to the ledge if you're that scared?​

As a note, I understand that there are tournament nerves. I think you did good getting to where you did and it's obvious you put in the work. There are moments where you shine brilliantly and it makes me smile. If you can iron out the bad habits, I know you'll dominate. Please, keep on working at it. It's great to see these videos and thanks for coming here to look for critique.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Is grounded Bomb really that safe, though? The times I've tried to use it I get shielded and punished. Is it viable as an OOS option?
Grounded Bomb is godly because it's unexpected. Try standing getup>Bomb sometime. Works REALLY well as a mixup. Bomb is also great for outspacing people. I'm using runthrough ADC pivot Bowser Bomb a lot more too.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Hello Bowser nerds I need some vids to critique and what not and I haven't used Bowser since the patch dropped and I was itching to try out and work on my Bowser yesterday and go WWE on folks so I went Bowser all tourney outside of 2 matches where I switched to Robin and Marth and got 5th out of 30 people so yeah here's the vids but all on twitch(scene don't have a YT to post everything yet and our streaming stuff and commentary isn't up to snuff. )

http://www.twitch.tv/dahyperbolictimechamber/c/6960107 vs Falcon and Roy( Recording started late into the match)

http://www.twitch.tv/dahyperbolictimechamber/c/6960113 vs Shiek game 1 and 2

http://www.twitch.tv/dahyperbolictimechamber/c/6960120 vs Shiek game 3( Stream went offline for a bit then was a pro controller that was still on and interfered with the match for like 2-3 minutes so we had to wait and find the controller and stream got back online way late in the match cause of it. Felt like I should have lost this match honestly.)

http://www.twitch.tv/dahyperbolictimechamber/c/6960150 vs Luigi( this is the match i switch to Robin for a CP.)

The match I switch to Marth was against a Yoshi/D3 player and was off stream.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

You know, we always talk about how Bowser should never usually retreat (especially by jumping) or give up stage control, but one of Mix's biggest assets in this match seems to be how he would occasionally just run the other way for a moment, then run back in in response to something Fatality had just done (usually grabbing him).

I might try this more often as it seems to be a good trick in general as it makes the opponent think, "Oh, I have to chase Bowser now..." only for that mindset to bite them in the ass moments later.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
You know, we always talk about how Bowser should never usually retreat (especially by jumping) or give up stage control, but one of Mix's biggest assets in this match seems to be how he would occasionally just run the other way for a moment, then run back in in response to something Fatality had just done (usually grabbing him).

I might try this more often as it seems to be a good trick in general as it makes the opponent think, "Oh, I have to chase Bowser now..." only for that mindset to bite them in the *** moments later.
While I understand what you mean, retreating doesn't mean giving up stage control. He often did that to get C. Falc—a character with no ranged options—to come in with a dash while Lord Mix would be in a pivot which is one of the best places Bowser can be. In this sense, he actually created more stage control since Fatality picked up on this and started getting spooked when he'd try to come in.

Top Bottom