• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's Keep - Bowser Video Archive

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
I've been having trouble keeping up to date with all the latest high level bowser play. Some tournaments are having fewer and fewer bowsers, others are having more and more oddly enough. I spend a lot of time finding these videos and I've decided to simply start cataloging them in a youtube playlist. Right now the only thing required to be part of this list is that is a video of a bowser, in at least one game, in a tournament in the last month. Why one month? So I can include @ Hitman JT Hitman JT duh. When le troof goes out to another tournament, I will purge the youtube list and make it so only the newest bowser tech is represented on the list.

If you have any tournmanent play in the last month that I may have missed, PLEASE let me know, i'm going to try to keep this list going:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLafWKd-RfF3dpCv8v1LSAZDb-k1a-_W2T

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
A video showing my Bowser in a 2 VS. 2. Comments will be very much appreciated :)

That was beautiful. Sadly, I don't have much to critique you on. My experience with 2v2 is mostly team attack on. You read your opponent's properly, and bad habits were covered by your partner somewhat, so I can't tell if it was actually a bad habit.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Hey guys got a match from a tourney that I recently went to with a Luigi player. Any critiques on my Bowser play would be welcomed immensely as there's still things I'm trying to figure out regarding Smash 4 Bowser.

My match starts around the 45:20 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WgT1JtLAo0&list=PL2odLL1MNaklRHXMZJIxsl1yBknZkd-MM&index=6
Aside form the very strange low-altitude Nair early in the set (could have been a Klaw or reverse flame), the majority of mistakes seem to be from lack of MU experience. His aerials end so quickly that your window of opportunity to punish in between all of them is ridiculously small (forcing you to shield longer than you want to), and his fireballs are a huge threat if you accidentally clank them. Luckily, you were starting to figure out what not to do as you were playing against Luigimitsu, including better shield timing and stage control, though the momentum eventually shifted entirely into Luigimitsu's favor. You also caught on too late on Luigimitsu's hard-on for dash grab. You started rolling, which was great, but there were situations where spot dodge was the preferable option, as that leaves you in a position to fortress or bowser bomb.

What really stood out, though, was your ledge guard tactic. Don't be afraid of his up b or rising 'nado. If Luigi isn't recovering from an angle beneath the stage, you should use fire to tack extra damage and potentially set up a kill, or use ledge canceled Bowser Bomb in an attempt to trade.

No complaints about your ability to recover back to stage, though. You are a survivor if I ever did see one.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Ffamran Ffamran Thanks. I completely forgot about this video. Another great showcase of how Bowser just needs fundamentals to be good.

N~W .

Smash Cadet
Aside form the very strange low-altitude Nair early in the set (could have been a Klaw or reverse flame), the majority of mistakes seem to be from lack of MU experience. His aerials end so quickly that your window of opportunity to punish in between all of them is ridiculously small (forcing you to shield longer than you want to), and his fireballs are a huge threat if you accidentally clank them. Luckily, you were starting to figure out what not to do as you were playing against Luigimitsu, including better shield timing and stage control, though the momentum eventually shifted entirely into Luigimitsu's favor.

What really stood out, though, was your ledge guard tactics. Don't be afraid of his up b or rising 'nado. If Luigi isn't recovering from an angle beneath the stage, you should use fire to tack extra damage and potentially set up a kill, or use ledge canceled Bowser Bomb in an attempt to trade.

No complaints about your ability to recover back to stage, though. You are a survivor if I ever did see one.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I really do need to work on my edge guarding and off stage game. I'm usually too shook to go off stage because I'm worried about getting gimped hence the reason why I picked up MK to work on how to pressure people off stage and edge guard properly.

I also did note that I did some risky tactics in the neutral by whiffing too much which allowed Mitsu to come in and start the grab combos.

One thing which annoys me about facing all the Mario Bros. though is that sometimes even if I get a good power shield on their fireballs, I still get grabbed afterwards even if I want to jab immediately after blocking the fireball. I dunno maybe it's a speed issue regarding his jab?

I played a couple games with J.Miller and got destroyed by his Luigi and his Bowser Jr. and he mentioned that I press too much buttons when I'm overwhelmed and at a distance and I need to space more. He was disappointed that I lost that set......

But that said, I'm enjoying Smash 4 at the moment. Even though I don't own the game, any time it's around at a tournament, I go out and play it to improve. I'm loving Smash 4 Bowser at the moment and I want to get good with him. There'll be another tournament at the end of this month so I hope to go there and rep that Bowser.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ N~W . N~W . Jab becomes active on frame 7 and Luigi's dash grab can reach you just before that even if you power shield a fireball, assuming you're not too close, but not too far. That's just how lag-less and spam-able his projectile is.

Knowing that Luigi loves to dash grab after forcing you to shield a fireball, you do have options. You could spot dodge, shield drop -> run back into a pivot, or jump OoS. Each option has their pros and cons. Fortress might also make it in time, though it's only 1 frame faster to activate and you'll eat a SHORYUKEN if you guessed incorrectly. It's also possible to full jump over fireballs into a short burst of flame breath. This does give you some extra room to work with and you can reset/test the spacing out at your leisure. Most Luigi players will just let you recharge your flame breath for free.

Oh, and if Luigi decides to throw out one more fireball, you could dash attack. It should hit Luigi then clank with the fireball. Rock, paper, scissors at its finest.

I couldn't tell just by the video if you were pressing too many buttons. I'm sure you'll be able to refine yourself because you're already aware of when you over-commit to offensive options and when it's best to mix things up. It's all just experience at this point.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Big Sean Big Sean I have never seen someone spotdodge and Bowser Bomb pre-emptively so much. It worked in round 1, though, so props to you. The last 2 matches of the set were a doozy. Your momentum was destroyed and you kept committing to tactics that your opponent had already adjusted to. I can't tell if you were just pressing buttons too quickly from pressure or what. Despite showing less flexibility than your opponent, I can tell that you have the potential to be very flexible once you fine tune your execution and gain more MU experience. There are genuine moments of surprise where I thought you'd fail to punish but you managed to pull off a solid hit. I look forward to your continued growth.

Last edited:

Kezzup

Smash Rookie
My Bowser got on stream during my losers bracket run at my local last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F3MOu6QMvs

Critique would be appreciated. Main things that got me were my amazingly bad SD game one and a lot of panicky Down-Bs in Game 3, but other than that, let me know what I'm doing right or wrong.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
My Bowser got on stream during my losers bracket run at my local last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F3MOu6QMvs

Critique would be appreciated. Main things that got me were my amazingly bad SD game one and a lot of panicky Down-Bs in Game 3, but other than that, let me know what I'm doing right or wrong.
Uh, this is just from the first game. I've played against Ike for years and the MU is more or less the same in this game, so I'll do my best to give you small character information and mechanical things as well.

Nice job with the airdodge cancel, it was a creative option, although I'm surprised he didn't just hold jab on reaction to your airdodge lol

What's up with all of the short hop klaws? They worked a few times due to you meeting Ike in an air-to-air exchange, but that's generally a pretty bad idea, especially since you continued to do it. If he adapted and just decided to stuff you out with...pretty much any move given how bad aerial klaw is now, the match would've been a lot more difficult. It's cool that you're aware that there's not a large amount of lag when you land with Side-B, but the problem is that you are putting yourself in the air while you're doing this. We're not playing Brawl anymore, so unfortunately you can't use the move so liberally. Believe me when I say that I skated on by as a Bowser player in brawl for years by literally only using side b pretty much. It pains me to say that the move kind of sucks now lmao

Ike's recovery is pretty bad for what it's worth. You can usually exploit Aether and do a number of things, like Bowser Bomb, BAir (depending on the height of the recovery), USmash (during his descent) DAir...hell, FAir would probably catch him as well given its range increase. Not to mention the OoS options you have if Ike isn't recovering properly. You can time a shield grab during his aether as well.

Go for ledge trumps. Bowser does big damage, and loves making his opponents uncomfortable to get easy KOs. ledge trumping is a must. Characters lose their invincibility on the ledge when you force them off and force them to grab it again, so sweeping them with a down tilt or something like that works. Players will often try to force their way past you to avoid that situation entirely. Be aware, however, that your opponents can input a ledge option and get out of a trump situation, so you can create this mindgame of sorts.

----
from game 2:

a continuation from the previous game; you have moments where you pick a good option for ledge coverage or you try to react to the ledge option. and then you use down smash instead of just reacting like you were previously doing. A pretty good idea to cover ledge options if you're not close enough to force a trump or play the trump mindgame is to stand back far enough to clip with a downtilt if they do a get-up attack or a normal get-up. You can react to the jump and hit them with an aerial or force your opponent to go on the defense from there. rolls are obviously cake food

be careful with the panic up-b's, you started doing them a bit more often during the first stock. players are becoming better at shielding all of the hits of up-b, and it's a REALLY punishable move if that does happen.

game 2 was relatively easy, but try not to airdodge when you're facing pressure from your opponent. you started doing it when ike was on his last stock--in fact, i think you did it twice in a row. as a Bowser player in this game, you should, more often than not at least, prefer to take the gamble of taking a weak hit than being abused for big damage due to airdodging. that's not to say that you should never airdodge, because there's always a time where you really have no choice, but just be aware of the options that you're picking when you're under pressure. self-awareness as a player will allow you to adapt on the fly and will prevent you from making the same mistakes 2, 3, 4+ times in a row.

---
gonna watch game 3 now. from a viewer's standpoint prior to watching the game, ganondorf should be a relatively simple MU. he does hurt a lot when he hits and can kill extremely early, but the thing is that you really should not be getting hit by a lot of what he's doing if you play the MU properly. Bowser has a ridiculous pivot grab in this game, and if you play ala brawl style where you just do not approach when you have the life lead, you should be straight.

anyway, i'll watch the third game and talk about that and then give you some general bowser tips because there are a few important bowser-specific things that i didn't see a lot of.

well, speak of the devil. pivot grabbing actually would've made the match a bit too easy for you.
you're aware that you basically threw the game away with the panic bowser bombs so i won't talk about that. there's not really much to say about that third game. i'm not sure what made you change up your style so much since you were doing well the first two games, but these things happen.

i will say this: it is important that you lessen your use of down-smash. i'm not sure if it's as good as it used to be since it seems like bowser's shell moves are a lot smaller, but if i had to pick ANY option in the world in a close-combat situation, down smash would not be one of them. there are a lot more damaging options or moves that cover multiple defensive choices, such as jabbing, pivot grabbing...dare i say a panic upb would probably be better to use in those instances than downsmash.

---

anyway, as far as general bowser tips go, use jab. it's pretty good. good damage on both hits, and jab 1 is +7 on hit and puts almost, if not all of the cast airborne. what this means is that this beats out a lot of mashing options, which is perfect considering how a small portion of the cast can stuff a couple of bowser's moves up close. jab cancels are pretty important for bowser at this point, so i would start practicing them since they will score you early KOs and put you in favorable positions (jab 1-> grab, etc.)

you have to experiment and see which situations call for what move. sometimes just using jab 2 will fare better than going the extra mile and doing jab 1 into another move. maybe just doing jab 1 and waiting to see how your opponent will react so you can make a mental note of their bad, panic defensive option for later would be nice. becoming aware of yourself as a player and your style will allow you to make a proper decision.

bowser hits like a truck. bowser basically is a truck. with that said, there are very few trucks in this world that will hit the same person multiple times. the point of this weird analogy is this: you need to get the bang for your buck when it comes to this character. when going for a punish, you need to pick a proper move. you never know when the next time you'll be able to get a hit on someone will come, so you need to make every hit count. rage is a thing in this game, so making the proper punish will get you early kills and not have to worry about rage-induced situations at all.

for example, in a lot of instances in that set, you would go for a shield-grab punish or a upb oos punish on some aerials. consider using bowser bomb to kill extremely early next time! the hits combo into each other, provided that you hit in the correct proximity. shield grabbing is fine since you're putting your opponent in the air.

in tandem with the above, it is imperative that you become better at reading your opponent's options and punishing them with your best moves. you had good reads with dsmash when he rolled into you, so keep that up.

I hope this helps. This post is long as ****; I usually don't critique videos because I tend to get pretty verbose, but I was bored and kind of drunk so whatever.

Last edited:

Kezzup

Smash Rookie
@ Cassius. Cassius. , thank you for all the advice! I'll definitely be taking all this to heart. I agree with everything you said, especially about the ledge trumping and edgeguarding and all that. Truthfully, I think that and a lot of my problems came from unfamiliarity with my character - I started off a Bowser main when the game came out, but flip-flopped around before ending up maining him again recently. Therefore, I don't think I'm nearly as comfortable with him and his options as I could be. Just means I've gotta hit the lab and experiment more with your advice in mind. Thanks again. :)

GanonDuck

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ganonduck
If you guys can stomach a twitch VOD with horrible quality and lagging sound i've got tons of Bowser matches where i manage to come 2nd at a local tournament (i switched to brawler in finals because i havnt really figured out the diddy kong - bowser match up yet.)

Customs are legal at the tournament but i havnt really played around enough with dash slash so im sticking with vanilla setup.

http://www.twitch.tv/smashnorge/b/636752571

First match is at around 02:57:00.

Second match is at around 03:29:00

And the final matches starts at 03:43:00

EDIT: Even tho i got some pretty good achievements in this tournament, some of the things i do is sorta embarrassing to watch. :v

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
There's 3 of us lol although we all happen to show up and wreck s*** at different times. First Exist, then me, then Ash...I think Ash might've been there last time I showed up but apparently he's leveled up significantly since then. He even beat the DK that I lost to

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
There's 3 of us lol although we all happen to show up and wreck s*** at different times. First Exist, then me, then Ash...I think Ash might've been there last time I showed up but apparently he's leveled up significantly since then
Oh that's right, it was Exist who I thought was the same person as you! Not only do you guys have 2 Bowser's but 3?!?! INCONCEIVABLE.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
If we're doing that, I've got one for you (self made)- gfycat.com/LikableCanineAruanas

You'll have to paste that since I don't have enough posts to post a proper clickable link, it seems. Lovely.

Last edited:

Yiggaman

Smash Rookie
Ash is too good. I just sharinganed his whole downB to the ledge thing. Finally someone I can learn from! But what's up with that dair cancel because everytime I do it the startup pops me back in the air. I'm using 3ds btw

arcticfox_14

Smash Cadet
NNID
arcticfox14
I also have a couple FG videos I wanted to get posted before the update, with a couple more to come later.
https://youtu.be/-DO6CA1qUZg
https://youtu.be/qPKaN69Ivuw

This weekend I took 3rd in my first ever Smash Wii U tournament. When the winner's quarters, semi, final, and loser's final get posted to youtube I'll link here for feedback. I went undefeated until the favorite, a very skilled villager/diddy, 3-0'd me in winner's finals. Another skilled villager 3-0'd me in loser's finals, so I guess I have some work to do on my villager matchup.

I had a lot of fun repping Bowser though, everyone there was going on about how crazy that this unknown Bowser main is rolling through the competition. :D

Edit:
These taken in FG the night before my tournament, offering some good matchup practice. Some SERIOUS learning going on between match 2 and three in the set against Fox.
Falco (Alex):
https://youtu.be/yWOx-dNn9tY
Fox:
https://youtu.be/MEseVnYpcHQ
https://youtu.be/6SXg7oxfnXY
https://youtu.be/rykJZZDViTs

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Villager's really all about shielding. It's really easy and boring once you get used to it.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Pardon a) the fact that it's on the 3DS b) the crappy sound and c) the random scratching sounds. I was in bed, at night, recording this with my iPad and didn't want to disturb anyone else in the vicinity since 3DS's can be surprisingly loud at night.

Otherwise, enjoy.

Disclaimer: pre-patch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom