• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's Keep - Bowser Video Archive

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
You watched a high-level match featuring me, one of the best Bowser players ever, achieving victory against a very good player using a character who is one of Bowser's worst matchups.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I really, really, really do not want to respond to this post because I have a tendency to read too deeply into Critique threads... but there are a few things wrong with the above statement, and the video as well. I guess I'll do this for the sake of @ MagiusNecros MagiusNecros not having to do so.

@ Knee Smasher Knee Smasher :

That match was not "high-level", by any means. If I ever see a Bowser voluntarily double jump within the first five seconds--never mind the fact that you did all of that just to land with NAir twice--I'm already more than inclined to close the video. Despite what I just wrote, I did actually watch the video in its entirety.

I'm not sure whether you do actually want constructive criticism on the video, or whether you posted it in hopes of showing us something amazing (you did say you were showcasing the art of Fire Breath), but this IS the video thread.

So, I see more things done wrong in the video than I see done right; in fact, the replay itself is of a Wi-Fi match. But, everyone starts somewhere. Anyway, before I get more sidetracked:

• There is no reason for you to have (double) jumped that many times. I understand Wi-Fi connections can fluctuate and it is a bit harder to react to certain situations or moves, but you didn't have to leave the ground. The D3 player didn't threaten you with anything.
  • To that end, a lot of your punished with Bowser were very off. I will chalk that up to it just being due to Wi-Fi.
  • NAir really is not that good of a landing or approach option for you to have opened up with two attempts like that. You will probably be able to condition a lot of bad players into shielding the NAir and then getting a shield break, but please cut that out in the future. You give up a lot of things that I don't feel like explaining by double jumping and by NAir-ing as well.
  • You also did a lot of preemptive attacks when the D3 player was on the edge (USmash, Double Jump Bowser Bomb??). We are all guilty of this, but just be aware. I'll also chalk that up to Wi-Fi because you usually have to guess on those kinds of edge situations when playing in that environment.
  • Now to the most important part of the video: you wanted to showcase the art of Fire Breath. And I will admit that you did what you intended to do. To anyone viewing the video, all they will see at first is that you used a lot of firebreath in a few situations, such as while you were landing, and while your opponent was on the ledge. Which, is fine, considering the kind of player you were up against, and it being on Wi-Fi. However, it'll be pretty difficult for anyone, whether they play Bowser or not, to really see the key points where the move can be used, since you used it in situations where you could have (AND should have) been punished heavily by a roll in, or anything. The art of fire breath was convoluted by multiple things in that match, namely what I listed above. Even I had to dig a little deep to pull this out.
I'm used to typing long posts where they're not really needed, but this is the critique thread, so I'm doing what's right I suppose.

Long story short, that's not really a video that showcases anything. You kind of show what firebreath is okay and absolutely horrible for. Those things are clear as day to people who play the character, but even those who actually love firebreath and post about it too often would probably be hard-pressed to say that was a decent video.

It's a huuuuuge reach to call that a high level match, and D3 is NOT one of Bowser's worst MUs. As for the point of you being one of the best Bowser players ever...if you REALLY do believe that, well...with a lot of consistent practice, and reasonable tournament placings, sure.

To end on a positive note, please, keep playing Bowser, and post more replays of your progress in the upcoming months. I actually do watch Bowser videos from time to time, and I love reaching out to fellow players in order to help them step up their game. I do wholeheartedly believe that it's not impossible for you to improve as a (Bowser) player solely from online experience. Thank you for your addition to the video thread that I still need to update!

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
A lot of things that I saw that were wrong were ironically improper use of Fire Breath where you tried using it to edge guard only for D3 to ledge roll right through it, pointlessly double jumping, Dair's and Nair's only lead to being punished or shield grabbed, you fortressed over the ledge and could have been punished if your opponent was competent, you never hit back Gordo's and were often hit by them, you Bowser Bombed hoping your opponent was dumb enough to be hit by it when you could have just Bowser Bombed to ledge and Baired him to his death since the D3 player was that terrible. Most of your punishes if the player was competent could have been shielded completely and promptly punished. A lot of empty attacks that did nothing for you including a few whiffed Upsmashes.

You got a lucky Fsmash off because the D3 was mediocre, D3 killed you and you revenge killed him with a Up smash and then you Bowsercided and the D3 didn't even really fight against you.

So calling that a high level match is completely laughable.

As for being Bowser's bad matchup...D3 is NOTHING compared to fighting against any of the higher tiers such as Luigi, Yoshi and Sheik.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Since no one's quoting I'll be cool and just say @ Knee Smasher Knee Smasher too.

I feel like that last post was facetious, so I'm not going to take it dead serious. The good news is, there's still plenty to learn with Bowser and in the future if you meet the same Dedede again you can style on him pretty hard if you work on some of what other posters above me explained. Ironically, the real art of fire breath vs Dedede is not to use fire breath almost ever, as a good Dedede can punish you for it every time. Back when customs was around Dedede was the only matchup I switched to fire shot for because I found fire breath so useless.

A really good Dedede will force you to deal with gordo traps that'll give you nightmares, so watch out for that in the future. It's not his worst matchup, but personally, the psychological effects of being put in very poor 50/50's with gordos wears on me more than most matchups. Dedede can really take advantage of Bowser's problems landing.

Last edited:

LordMix

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
Lmfao seems like some1 has a bit of salt of me being a more known bowser lmfao, gonna post about this all over

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
Saw a thing bout D3, that vid made me laugh. I pocket him when I'm having funs. And just a question here, but why is D3 not a bad matchup? Last time I checked jab jab, jab jab, jab jab, was still a thing that worked from about 50% to 120% (and is essentially infinite with bad DI). Also just the fact that D3 can juggle you for years because bowser has slow aerials and D3 is the master of landing traps.

Not trying to be rude, I'm actually curious what bowser has to redeem himself in this.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Saw a thing bout D3, that vid made me laugh. I pocket him when I'm having funs. And just a question here, but why is D3 not a bad matchup? Last time I checked jab jab, jab jab, jab jab, was still a thing that worked from about 50% to 120% (and is essentially infinite with bad DI). Also just the fact that D3 can juggle you for years because bowser has slow aerials and D3 is the master of landing traps.

Not trying to be rude, I'm actually curious what bowser has to redeem himself in this.
Bowser and D3 are fat. Meaning Bowser's attacks hit him a lot more then most. Works the other way too.

You basically find your opening and you responsibly go ham.

a stray cat

Smash Cadet
Lmfao seems like some1 has a bit of salt of me being a more known bowser lmfao, gonna post about this all over
Well, all the posts about you seem to be "Who is the best Bowser, and why is it LordMix?"

Hardly constructive man.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
My first video. Critique at will. Also despite this match I am not very good and I have faced much better Falcon's that can run circles around me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne7CTYREG_c

I showcase a few tricks here. See if you can find them.
There's not much to critique since it's 1 video of you bodying a bad falcon. I will say that your default move when when launching your opponent oddly enough is to roll back. Look at the video and you'll see you do it constantly. Definitely press your advantage and move forward. Stage control isn't an easy thing to get and you should keep it when you have it.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
There's not much to critique since it's 1 video of you bodying a bad falcon. I will say that your default move when when launching your opponent oddly enough is to roll back. Look at the video and you'll see you do it constantly. Definitely press your advantage and move forward. Stage control isn't an easy thing to get and you should keep it when you have it.
I will try. And yeah the Falcon isn't that great.

D

Deleted member 189823

I had a tournaments towards the end of last month. Once again, I've made Top 8, but I was SORT OF unsatisfied. Rather than my position, I was unsatisfied on how I fought against Megaman and Greninja. Didn't really know how to approach such obscure MUs. Looking back at it, I think I was simply playing pretty bad, rather than not knowing a single thing.

Here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sOGnh4RZV4 (:4megaman:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYeunYEWsXY (:4sheik:)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I had a tournaments towards the end of last month. Once again, I've made Top 8, but I was SORT OF unsatisfied. Rather than my position, I was unsatisfied on how I fought against Megaman and Greninja. Didn't really know how to approach such obscure MUs. Looking back at it, I think I was simply playing pretty bad, rather than not knowing a single thing.

Here they are:

Offhand, the first thing I'd mention is just to never Dair to the stage unless you're reading a roll or the opponent is chasing you into the air and likely won't make it back in time to punish you, or you're trying to spike them right at the edge of the stage. Especially with the MM match, you did that a few times and were punished for it most of the time.

Not going to pretend that I don't do that on occasion either (old habit that needs to die), but yeah, fall to the ledge every time if you have to.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Because many players seem pre-conditioned to expect d-air. Might be good to notice how they try to punish it. Against the ones who roll away you can just fast fall to land for free. Shielders can be footstooled, or klawed, of course.

It helps to Dair only sparingly, you want to use it occasionally, when you can, so they know it's on the table, then use that to help your mix ups.

You could also forego using it more than usual so they stop thinking about it, which might let you have better chances at using it later.

Last edited:

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc

Here they are:

Mega Man is a hard matchup. First things first: too many dairs, too many hard, slow attacks appropo of nothing. A good Mega Man is always looking for the grab, don't give it to them by throwing out slow attacks. The buzzsaw is a difficult projectile to deal with. Getting hit by it on the ground is basically a free grab for Mega Man. Mostly it just looked like you overextended too much and didn't respect Mega Man's tools. Given the tools he has while you're above him, I'm questioning why you seemed to really be determined to land on stage rather than going to the ledge. MM has much better tools to stop you from landing on the stage than to catch you rising from the ledge. He should almost never catch you with a dair offstage, that's an indicator that your recovery was too predictable or drawn out. MM's dair is about twice as hard to connect with as Capt. Falcon's dair. If you can avoid a Falcon dair 3/4 times or better MM's should never hit you. You don't need to get too far under the stage to avoid MM, just air dodge past a buzzsaw or fsmash and get to that ledge.

The Sheik one looked like you did alright. I'll say spot dodging will rarely help you in the matchup, especially at a distance.

Hey here are two highlight video from a series im starting called Bowser is bad. I think you guys will enjoy!

Nice, my noob ownings on my youtube channel aren't quite as succinct as these. Keep it up, we need more Bowser kickin ass on youtube.

Last edited:

x45x

Smash Cadet
[quote="Cronoc, post: 20147975, member: 286789"
Nice, my noob ownings on my youtube channel aren't quite as succinct as these. Keep it up, we need more Bowser kickin *** on youtube.[/quote]

Thanks!! I will keep posting them as i go. I also want to write up a Bowser guide soon. My own take on him. <3 we gatta show people the Koopa King is the real king. Or at least not bad tier.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Probably gonna be months before these get uploaded to youtube so here's the stream archive from my latest run at xanadu

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/v/15722790
5:27:18
6:03:00
6:18:34
6:29:39

How do I beat Pit :[
Just keep doing what you were doing. You brought it very, VERY close...

The only thought I had was that you were respecting Pit's Up+B recovery even though it has no hitbox on it. Might've been worth it to try to jump off backwards and Fair him into the stage before he snaps.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Against Pit's up-b, we should be able to mix it up between ledge trumps and fortress as a basic mix-up. Then expand on things from there.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Probably gonna be months before these get uploaded to youtube so here's the stream archive from my latest run at xanadu

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/v/15722790
5:27:18
6:03:00
6:18:34
6:29:39

How do I beat Pit :[
Hey man, first off, when I was getting into maining Bowser back in December or January (I think...)I was really happy to see you on stream playing Bowser well. At the time there was basically nothing on youtube showing good Bowser play, so it was just a few of your sets and a few of Calmanimal's. People can write about various tricks or ways of playing, but it was great to see things put into action.

Edit: So I started writing this as I watched the first set between you and Snow, and the first set with Pink Fresh. I'll leave my suggestions, but actually you did a lot better later and I think a lot of this was just being put on the defensive by Pink Fresh and some habits coming out while you were uncomfortable. You fixed a lot of this in the final sets.

Anyway, I've been catching up on the matches here and I have a couple ideas about your Pit matches. First off, I don't think Pit as a character is doing anything all that special here, I'm not so sure that there's anything that you should doing specifically for this matchup. So a couple things:

-I noticed you going for uair followups and while it may be a playstyle preference of mine, I wonder if you would have more success in this case with bair. Bair's hitbox is generous for hitting people slightly above Bowser, and has the added benefit of hitting really hard - It's more likely to take the stock than uair, as the times you used uair you were already hitting an opponent with their back to the ledge, and is the more generous hitbox. To be clear though, I'm not talking about uair as a followup to uthrow, for that obviously bair isn't the thing.

-After your edgeguard attempts in the early matches, it looked like you gave up on them and let Pit get back to the stage and get up for free. It seemed like Pit was jumping from the ledge more often than not, I'd really like to have seen a full jump into fair or preferably bair to read that ledge option. Either of those will auto cancel from a full jump even with fast falling and can quickly be turned into a pivot grab or other followup if you whiff and land quickly. As I'm up to the rematch with Snow now I see you using bair to edge guard him as he tries to recover from above - that works just as well when they jump from the ledge ;)

-You have something of a spot-dodge habit that wasn't working for you here, Pit has so many multi-hit moves and Bowser is so damn big/slow it just never looked like it was helping you. Edit: Somewhere in the set where you 3-0 Pink Fresh I saw a spotdodge work in your favor, but that's because it was an actual bait. If you suspect a throw, good, if you're baiting (at the proper distance), good. But throwing it out as matter of habit isn't as good. There were times where Pit decided to approach, you spot dodged a ways away and Pit got to you as Bowser was coming out of the animation - like the spot dodge equivelant of a roll read. I think the spot dodging when they're 2-3 Bowser lengths away isn't helping.

Ok, so now I've finished watching all the sets. Something in general that was a problem was getting stuck in the air at inopportune times - whether jumping from the ledge and getting intercepted, or getting hit during an empty hop. I think I know what you're going for with the empty hops - intimidation to force a response. The problem is you're getting hit by the response, so either there's a misjudgment of spacing or maybe empty hopping isn't working out that well. I would suggest that Bowser's presence is intimidating enough without needing to jump. Getting at a couple character lengths distance should be enough to force a response, I'd think. And better to be on the ground when that response comes. Empty short hopping in particular is a bluff, and once the opponent knows it's a bluff it doesn't have much use. There were also a lot of times where you jumped really high, and Bowser falls slowly enough for the opponent to get underneath during that time. Given Bowser's problems landing, I would have liked to see less jumping when you were on Battlefield's platforms for example.

I also think by the final set you weren't getting much mileage off of grounded fortress. A quick pivot grab or getting out of there may be better solutions to that "we're uncomfortably close right now" moment, cause Pink Fresh was getting good at shielding them.

Ok, after this essay I just typed, it's great you got 2nd at Xanadu. Of course you can take or leave any of what I wrote, personally I haven't been to a tournament in some time now so I don't have a record to flaunt here or anything. And perhaps some of this stuff is personal style, and we all have our own style of doing things. In the meantime, I'll be looking forward to seeing you onstream (even if I watch it after the fact) again. While there may be a little more Bowser content now, there's still not much representation, so it's great to have people like yourself getting on there and showing people that may have dismissed the character what he can do. And of course it's nice to win things at tournaments too. Keep it up!

Last edited:

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yeah, I try to break the spotdodge habit but it's tricky when the natural reaction to seeing a big body is to get in and juggle them to death. I tend to get spooked too easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffg7yVCi7jQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfDasCtHAp0

A couple more matches from the monthly. :4bowser: vs. :4villager: is a major pain in the booty butt cheeks. Straight up David and Goliath.
Tested some things based on this footage (inspired me to try it out):

1. When Bowser uses FB off the edge on a villager recovering low, it sadly just won't pop both balloons under seemingly any circumstances. HOWEVER, you WILL be able damage villager with it and the fire hitting the balloons causes Bowser to slide backwards, meaning that the villager is unlikely to get to the ledge and get up attack us. Basically, on a low recovering villager, go nuts, and if the villager drops Lloyd first, you might be able to detonate it with FB first, then angle down to hit the villager (I have no idea why Zard's FB can change angle faster than ours...).

2. I would recommend against using this on Mario(s) and Luigi, as their up B clashes with each hit of FB on the way up and can and will hit you, too.

3. You can, however, abuse the hell out of poor Pit with this, as he has no hitbox on rising, no balloons to take the fire hits for him, and can only try repeatedly to snap to the ledge or maybe go above you and land on the stage (which is suicide because you'll definitely be there to punish in time).

I mention this because you tend to let people back on the stage for free. If not FB, run off Bair/Fair can definitely end a few stocks, especially if they're touching the wall of a rectangular stage and cannot tech.

Also, does Utilt beat villager's Dair? It's a good choice if it does as it ends so much faster than Usmash.

Other than that, I have to say that your footsies are some of the best I've seen and I'm literally playing better from watching you in the neutral. :)

EDIT: Also, not sure how worth it this will be, but fortress turns out to be a perfectly horizontal hitbox for doing this:

Last edited:

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Yeah, I try to break the spotdodge habit but it's tricky when the natural reaction to seeing a big body is to get in and juggle them to death. I tend to get spooked too easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffg7yVCi7jQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfDasCtHAp0
A couple more matches from the monthly. :4bowser: vs. :4villager: is a major pain in the booty butt cheeks. Straight up David and Goliath.
At risk of becoming that guy who responds to everything here, but I digress.

Villager is annoying. You did some pretty impressive slingshot shielding in those matches though. There's a couple things that I have to remind myself to do when facing a villager. In regards to lloyd rockets, SHADC into fortress or possibly Bowser bomb (klaw not so much) is a worthwhile mixup to get past the Lloyd rocket, and running through it with a grab and immediately fthrowing will generate a hitbox that will protect you from the lloyd. Supposedly uthrow/dthrow can stop a lloyd too but in my experience they're not consistent. So those are two mixups for dealing with lloyd rockets that don't generally involve a trade or sitting in shield for a disadvantaged 50/50. The SHADC approach may not be as useful against a really mobile Villager, but if they hit side b on the ground and Bowser has the right spacing/timing, either of these approaches will work. SHADC isn't part of my typical repertoire due to the obvious telegraphing and losing to a hitbox, but some matchups (usually projectile characters) help it get better mileage.

And also, Villager's up b has no hitbox - he doesn't necessarily have to get back to the ledge for free if he's recovering low. A runoff bair as he approaches the ledge can quickly make up for getting slingshotted around the stage. Because of the nature of Villager's up b, if Bowser misses the bair, it's unlikely Villager can punish from onstage in time. If you can runoff bair, then air jump back to the ledge without using fortress (timing isn't tight, but not too generous either) you may even be able to turn a whiff into a ledge trump.

For the second video, it seems like you had things well in hand so there's not much to talk about here. I'll say that an occasional runoff fair against a character like Kirby when recovering would help close out stocks faster.

Last edited:

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
EDIT: Also, not sure how worth it this will be, but fortress turns out to be a perfectly horizontal hitbox for doing this:
Holy crap that's awesome. I'll have to mess around with up B edgeguarding more; I see DKs do it all the time. Also I've tried to beat d-air with u-tilt many times and it never ends well.

Cronoc Cronoc I tend to forget that SHADC is even a thing unless I'm fighting Duck Hunt or Robin. I don't even think it's fast enough to be a true punish unless it's preemptive. Run up > grab is probably the best way to deal with Lloyds but I always brainfart when I see one coming...heh. Firebreath would be a good option if only it started up faster...*cough:006:cough*

Last edited:

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Holy crap that's awesome. I'll have to mess around with up B edgeguarding more; I see DKs do it all the time. Also I've tried to beat d-air with u-tilt many times and it never ends well.

Cronoc Cronoc I tend to forget that SHADC is even a thing unless I'm fighting Duck Hunt or Robin. I don't even think it's fast enough to be a true punish unless it's preemptive. Run up > grab is probably the best way to deal with Lloyds but I always brainfart when I see one coming...heh. Firebreath would be a good option if only it started up faster...*cough:006:cough*
Yeah SHADC would require more of a read, and unless a Bowser bomb is involved SHADC fortress is a worse punish than fthrow. Fire breath should be more useful in this matchup, it just isn't fast enough or have enough hitboxes that cause flinching. I've had lloyds get through it at close range, my impression is that would never happen to Charizard. It's easy to forget this stuff in the moment, especially because it feels like Bowser should be able to punch through it or get past it before it activates (which sometimes works, but often trades).

Interesting idea with the aerial fortress. It'd be difficult to implement on a stage like Smashville where Villager can ride along the underside of the stage to the ledge though. Maybe doable.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Interesting idea with the aerial fortress. It'd be difficult to implement on a stage like Smashville where Villager can ride along the underside of the stage to the ledge though. Maybe doable.
It's just one more thing villager needs to not screw up when fighting Bowser, and that alone is good news.

It's usually the other way around, where WE have a growing list of things we need to watch out for if we expect to beat other characters...

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
As anti-airs, up tilt is better used a bit more preemptively just as they enter your air space, or if you think they will try to leave via jump, footstool, ect. Upsmash is better when they are already in your airspace and you know an attack or other direct option is imminent.

Both moves cover each other's weak points pretty well, so it is indeed wise to look for situations for each one. As long as you understand when to best use one or the other; they are both great moves after all.

Also, in regards to fortress edge guarding, been labbing it, managed to use it to set up a stage spike with ledge attack on Sheik. Haven't been able to replicate it consitently, but it seems to work if she tries to up b or jump and ends up overlapping you while you're on the ledge.

There are probably some other possible options, but none of It's definitive without the proper testing to back it up. I agree that fortress edgeguards are worth looking into. It's probably the only situation where we can safely land that 35%.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Also, in regards to fortress edge guarding, been labbing it, managed to use it to set up a stage spike with ledge attack on Sheik. Haven't been able to replicate it consitently, but it seems to work if she tries to up b or jump and ends up overlapping you while you're on the ledge.

There are probably some other possible options, but none of It's definitive without the proper testing to back it up. I agree that fortress edgeguards are worth looking into. It's probably the only situation where we can safely land that 35%.
That's a good point.

Pretty much every time an opponent with no hitbox (or a weak one) on their recovery is recovering, we could be down there throwing a fortress in their path.

I guess the great part about villager is that, even if we miss (like the first example in the video), we're still hitting him for a nice chunk of damage. Have to watch out for a retaliation after he's been knocked out of his Up+B though...

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
come watch this month-old set of me against Bum's Zelda where I bowser bomb like 500 times. I think that was the last game of Smash I played before I left NYC.

http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3/v/12821542

1 hour 40 minute mark.

I meant to put it up while it was still relevant, but life happened. You can critique it if you want, but there's no point lol. I went way too ham, and the chances of me running into a Zelda are about...1 in 1000.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Here are my last 3 streamed Foundry games:

http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash/v/16543446?t=2h28m09s
http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash/v/16561621?t=56m33s
http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash/v/17618467?t=59m26s

Rewatching them I don't think I did particularly well in any of them, just that my opponent did worse. Watch me get punished for rolling backwards over and over again the last one, jeez.
Wow, surprised they honor the suicide klause.

TBH, I don't even feel like we need it any more, since Bowser has so much more control (but I ain't gonna tell them...).

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

Rewatching them I don't think I did particularly well in any of them, just that my opponent did worse. Watch me get punished for rolling backwards over and over again the last one, jeez.
You should roll backwards and then Fortress and see how that pans out. Bowser Genius!

Especially if you condition an opponent away from them with purposeful double back rolls to give them the illusion that is gonna be a thing.

I wouldn't bait out charging a Upsmash unless thing is above you though. And if you can try to limit Dair use to getting back on the ground, chances are if you use it that far away from an opponent, they will know it's on the way. Then they shield and punish.

Most cases you'll probably want to land with Side B, do nothing or drift to the ledge.

I am also seeing a habit I have. Rolling backwards after doing something. You and I have to learn to push forward and not be afraid to go in. I tend to get a hit in and then roll away pointlessly.

--------------------

Probably not practical but I feel SHADing past a opponent you condition to shield will get you a free Klaw attempt. With our wonderful SHAD Special cancel shenanigans.

Lvl8's not the best example but they usually fall for it. Humans will probably fall for it too if you try SHAD Fortress first.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc

Doing my thing cause I have nothing else to do and I believe it's a critique thread. Sounds like you don't need to be told about the rolls then. I'm no good at typing out things when people win sets, obviously you made less mistakes than the other guy so that's good. So first of all, man, going to the foundry is such a pain for me (90+ minute drive there, 60 minutes back, and then nothing to do but wait around for matches cause there aren't stations for friendlies during the tourney), but maybe I should go sometime just to meet up with you and Sean and see if I'll do better now. You guys go regularly? I haven't been in a while.

Two things I notice in the 2nd and 3rd videos - tons of whiffed klaws. Not whiffed cause you messed up, whiffed cause of the move's hitbox issues when characters are too close. Maybe you're overdoing klaw a bit, a grab won't whiff and with a uthrow there's at least a small possibility for followups... Also it seems like you often land on stage rather than go to the ledge, but this leads to moments where you're airdodging into the ground. Usually your opponent let's you get land or doesn't punish (though you're getting hit enough doing this for me to notice), but I'm not sure why besides that they're afraid of dair when they shouldn't be. Just something to be aware of in the meantime.

Edit: forgot to mention... Cringed when the commentator said Jeepy was the better player in the first video. That's a commentating whoopsee.

Last edited:

a stray cat

Smash Cadet
Doing my thing cause I have nothing else to do and I believe it's a critique thread. Sounds like you don't need to be told about the rolls then. I'm no good at typing out things when people win sets, obviously you made less mistakes than the other guy so that's good. So first of all, man, going to the foundry is such a pain for me (90+ minute drive there, 60 minutes back, and then nothing to do but wait around for matches cause there aren't stations for friendlies during the tourney), but maybe I should go sometime just to meet up with you and Sean and see if I'll do better now. You guys go regularly? I haven't been in a while.

Two things I notice in the 2nd and 3rd videos - tons of whiffed klaws. Not whiffed cause you messed up, whiffed cause of the move's hitbox issues when characters are too close. Maybe you're overdoing klaw a bit, a grab won't whiff and with a uthrow there's at least a small possibility for followups... Also it seems like you often land on stage rather than go to the ledge, but this leads to moments where you're airdodging into the ground. Usually your opponent let's you get land or doesn't punish (though you're getting hit enough doing this for me to notice), but I'm not sure why besides that they're afraid of dair when they shouldn't be. Just something to be aware of in the meantime.

Edit: forgot to mention... Cringed when the commentator said Jeepy was the better player in the first video. That's a commentating whoopsee.
I go almost every week. Sean comes pretty often as well. No Foundry this week though. Maybe you can make it out for Extra Life on the 17th?

Here's my match with Mocha from last Thursday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHXsYCRjhM8

I can see some instances where I should've done a running upsmash, and a whole lot of me getting too frustrated to hold shield properly, but I'm not sure how to reliably catch Mocha if he decides he's just going to run away each time.

I wonder if I can train myself to reliably do a retreating ftilt on a spindash approach. And learn to react to homing attack out of spindash as well with an usmash if not at least a spot dodge.

Ugh. I really hate playing against Sonic.

Top Bottom