• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's Keep - Bowser Video Archive

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
KingKong? More like KingKoopa! Actually, I only watched his set against Fwed's Fox, so I don't really know how well he did nor do I know much about Bowser. Still, some of his sets were uploaded on YouTube. Apparently, he took 5th: http://smashloft.challonge.com/sm4shmtl50. Anyway, watch, enjoy, and critique away.
Not a critique, but the last match with the Sonic was a bit BS'y. I'm not sure if KingKong could have made it back, but pausing in the middle of Bowser's up b mash was poor play. Should have gone back to review the tape there... The commentators immediately conflated a memory of the pause happening after Bowser was falling.

Last edited:

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Cronoc Cronoc yeah grabbing a bomb mid air, but I didn't see him air dodge or attack. I never played brawl and there is some minor tech that is like totally amazing to me.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Cronoc Cronoc yeah grabbing a bomb mid air, but I didn't see him air dodge or attack. I never played brawl and there is some minor tech that is like totally amazing to me.
Press grab to grab an item without attacking or air dodging. You can grab items in midair or on the ground below you this way. But the timing is generally as strict as pressing a on the ground to grab an incoming item. You can also air dodge and press A just a few frames after catching it to throw it back in any direction. This video has visual examples of these tricks and more. I would also teach you about the majesty of performing Z-drop aerials, but Bowser doesn't have his own spawnable item to really validate spending hours practicing that.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I would also teach you about the majesty of performing Z-drop aerials, but Bowser doesn't have his own spawnable item to really validate spending hours practicing that.
Diddy and ROB do, though, and keeping those projectiles away from them is a pretty good strategy.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Diddy and ROB do, though, and keeping those projectiles away from them is a pretty good strategy.
That's right. For ROB, it's especially crippling to grab the gyro instead of shield it. His zoning pattern is a simplistic Gyro > Laser > Gyro > Laser. The gyro disappears when making contact with a shield, which allows him to fire another immediately afterward. If the gyro is still in the field, he can't do that, and thus loses half his wall of projectiles. Grabbing gyro out of the air and smash tossing it upward lets it stay active for the longest time out of neither player's hands. You could throw it back at him, but he could then catch it and you've accomplished very little. Assume that anybody playing as ROB, Diddy, Mega Man, Peach and others with items are generally better at item play then you are. Of course, like the video says, you need to mix it up every so often.

I name dropped Z-drop aerials, so I'd better explain it. With an item in hand, use grab button to drop the item before inputting an aerial. This effectively lets you use your aerials without first throwing the item. Characters that cannot perform this are anybody with a Zair, including Link and Toon Link. Like jump cancel tossing, it's a technique that is invaluable when you have access to items, and lets you keep metal blades, bananas, Bonus Fruit, and gyro out of the hands of the opponent due to their "one at a time" limit. Mechakoopas also can only have one of itself on the field, but like Bombs, they eventually explode, so keep away is rarely what you want with them.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Since characters with catchable items are my worst matchups right now, i'm going to try to make it a point to be as good as they are with item tech. I hope one day I can be at @KingKong_ad level and shield -> catch -> throw-> bowser bomb fools.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Like jump cancel tossing, it's a technique that is invaluable when you have access to items, and lets you keep metal blades, bananas, Bonus Fruit, and gyro out of the hands of the opponent due to their "one at a time" limit.
And it's actually even better for Bowser because Bowser has several answers to shielding enemies, while nearly every other character holding a banana can really only throw the banana before they can get Diddy out of his shield (the exception being characters with shield breaking B moves, like Marth and DK).

While it's definitely nice to keep ROB's gyro away from him, I'd say Diddy's banana and Pacman's fruit are far more detrimental. Both characters rely so much on their respective projectiles to create their openings. As long as Bowser holds onto it, he can remove a crucial part of their strategies while still having some decent tools at his disposal.

Obviously, there's no point to holding onto them for the remainder of the match, but with fortress OoS, klaw and bombing on shielding opponents, Bowser definitely has some options that will allow him to hang onto the projectile until the proper opening presents itself.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
And it's actually even better for Bowser because Bowser has several answers to shielding enemies, while nearly every other character holding a banana can really only throw the banana before they can get Diddy out of his shield (the exception being characters with shield breaking B moves, like Marth and DK).

While it's definitely nice to keep ROB's gyro away from him, I'd say Diddy's banana and Pacman's fruit are far more detrimental. Both characters rely so much on their respective projectiles to create their openings. As long as Bowser holds onto it, he can remove a crucial part of their strategies while still having some decent tools at his disposal.

Obviously, there's no point to holding onto them for the remainder of the match, but with fortress OoS, klaw and bombing on shielding opponents, Bowser definitely has some options that will allow him to hang onto the projectile until the proper opening presents itself.
True. Bowser fighting with only special moves is not terrible. Bomb to punish unsafe moves, Fortress to punish safer ones after blocking, Flying Slam to aggressively beat shields and land. Fire Breath comes up short as usual, but I feel the only powerful tools you lose when an item is in your hand are your jab and pivot grabs, and they'll be so mindful of their item coming back at them that they'll want to shield anything Bowser uses. Two of our specials are at their best when they're conditioned to shield. Plus, having jump cancel toss as an OoS option is very threatening when it comes to bananas. It should true combo into Bowser Bomb. Fsmash I'm not so sure about.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
and they'll be so mindful of their item coming back at them that they'll want to shield anything Bowser uses.
Exactly.

I'm guessing most players who main these characters aren't going to have a gameplan for when their opponent gets ahold of their projectile and just doesn't let go of it. Diddy can shoot peanuts at you and Pacman can swat hydrants in your direction but that's about it (without going in, I mean).

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811

So good news his new throw is amazing. And I actually have video of fair fair so people can see its a thing. So percent/weight specific but its nice.
Double fair offstage has been a thing since launch. It works really well around 30-60 percent, depending on the character. Absolutely destroys characters with limited recovery like Samus and Cloud.

x45x

Smash Cadet
Double fair offstage has been a thing since launch. It works really well around 30-60 percent, depending on the character. Absolutely destroys characters with limited recovery like Samus and Cloud.
Yeah. My community know because I hit them with it all the time. But my friends in Albany haven't seen it so I threw it in the clip of the changes. I'm honestl thrilled with this Bowser change. It's disgusting and beautiful.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So following a tournament and my decision to not pursue a secondary (except maybe Bayonetta), I've decided to start researching Bowser's potential and optimize him. I have a replay from a Saturday tournament and then two playlists of replays. I'll post two of the videos.
That is from the tournament.
Today's replays.

Playlist from Sunday - obsolete obviously.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG4uX_SxQLQQFeMEgGxBzcPIaY1gQeFNn

Endurrr

Smash Cadet
I'm really loving bowser. I picked him up for a while way before the patch but dropped him because he didn't seem quite as entertaining as my main King Dedede. But now I can see how much fun he is just because of the ridiculous kill power and his spacing game. Here's a few 0-deaths I got on FG. Keep in mind a few things are probably misinputs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB6F41RkIuQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_lYDqii8ZE

And some outdated patch shenanigans. (Bowser's dair is ridiculous)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJrfjIv1ZX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkxx-HitMSI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XduQuNIYVY

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Cassius. Cassius. ! You were on TV? Did you say, "Hi", to your mom? :p

Cassius's Bowser vs. Dill's Sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe9J63DJ_9o.

Uh... since it doesn't seem right to just post one match... Eim's Bowser vs. Shu's Sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAhGqcKZ2co.
Damn, you got me! There are actually quite a few sets of me on YouTube from this past weekend, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-mRyf5dgM , but you just made me realize that I took charge of this thread...only to further realize that I didn't do anything. So now I have my homework for the rest of this week.

I'm gonna find all of the 1.1.3 videos and put them where they belong.

arcticfox_14

Smash Cadet
NNID
arcticfox14
Cassius. Cassius. ! You were on TV? Did you say, "Hi", to your mom? :p

Cassius's Bowser vs. Dill's Sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe9J63DJ_9o.

Uh... since it doesn't seem right to just post one match... Eim's Bowser vs. Shu's Sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAhGqcKZ2co.
This just convinces me more than ever that all we need is Tough Guy on needles to be SO CLOSE to even with Shiek. Having a kill option at like 80% got us halfway there. Nice playing, Cassius.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
This just convinces me more than ever that all we need is Tough Guy on needles to be SO CLOSE to even with Shiek. Having a kill option at like 80% got us halfway there. Nice playing, Cassius.
I think TG on needles may actually put the match slightly in Bowser's favor.

Holy ****. Bowser could wind up being a Sheik counter...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
In case folks missed it or need a visual example, a slo-mo of just how powerful Bowser's upthrow collateral knockback is:

D

Deleted member 189823

Something general I noticed, is that you seem to find yourself getting into positions wether youre left exposed by simple moves, like failing to autocancel (I assume this is online), airdodging to the ground and things like using a poorly-spaced D-Tilt on neutral and Firebreath (dont approach with this). Regarding escaping combos, you ought to DI up and away and try to either airdodge, attack (assuming youre able to get it in, I dont expect you to D-Air through Marios U-Air strings) or even D-Air quickly to the ground, assuming its safe (or if theyre over-extending).

General tidbits:

- Work on your neutral more. Space around with simple & faster attacks, like Jab & F-Tilt (its great out of dash pivots).
- Our Pivot Grab is insane. Practice stuffing peoples aerial approaches with it (which means awesome combos, even a kill, now)

I expected you to get SHREKT in that match, so good job with the CUMBACK.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
hey, thanks a lot for taking the time to comment on my gameplay! I will surely take it all in :-)

Btw, I thought I lost that match in the beginning, too :D

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, I dont usually check these (or linger on these boards as much), but I figured it was just there.
Also, completely forgot to mention our Up B. Its part of our neutral, you use it OoS to punish things faster (comes out fast straight out of shield, has a lingering hitbox that sometimes trips oponents into a tech chase scenario or simply damages for 10-11%). Just watch out, dont just throw it out. It can be punishable.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
The OP has already been updated by Cassius with the latest Troof (and more). Be sure to check it out. :)

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
GOD DAMN this felt good. Sorry the video is mirrored, my cam has been doing this for a very long time. Think I fixed it, but I digress.
There were a couple things I didn't mean to do that I did in this match, but it worked out. More importantly, THAT ****ING KLAW! Wish I klaw would do that more consistently instead of losing to most aerials.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
GOD DAMN this felt good. Sorry the video is mirrored, my cam has been doing this for a very long time. Think I fixed it, but I digress.
There were a couple things I didn't mean to do that I did in this match, but it worked out. More importantly, THAT ****ING KLAW! Wish I klaw would do that more consistently instead of losing to most aerials.
Okay, that Klaw was pretty badass lol

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
pitfall356 pitfall356 That's amazing! How are you able to play without using your hands?!? :smirk:

Anyway, I really liked the tether baiting and that very nice whiff punish with fsmash in the beginning. The klaw at the end was cool too.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
What made it so surprising to me was that it beat out Link's UpB! I thought I would have to start working on recovery at first, but then I ****ing nailed him. God it felt good.

Top Bottom