• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Bowser's Inside Story - Q&A

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Wait, it does?.. Huh... Maybe I just missed the memo that Bomb always breaks shields now. *shrug*

I'm sure that Bomb doesn't break shields unless all hits hit including horns, or the shield is weakened, but... I could be wrong, it's been a while since I checked that kind of data.
Falling and landing hits are all you need. The rising hit isn't necessary for a fresh shield. If you land on a shielding opponent with Bomb, the only thing that can go wrong is that your bomb isn't dead center enough and they get pushed out of range from the landing hit. This happens most with tall, human shaped characters, but the bomb still has to be very inaccurate.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Falling and landing hits are all you need. The rising hit isn't necessary for a fresh shield. If you land on a shielding opponent with Bomb, the only thing that can go wrong is that your bomb isn't dead center enough and they get pushed out of range from the landing hit. This happens most with tall, human shaped characters, but the bomb still has to be very inaccurate.
Good to know! Not something I was really aware of. I was always under the impression that Bomb on shield didn't break a fresh shield without the horns!

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
Every time I've dropped onto a fresh shield from the air with bomb, it's broken the shield. They can't drop shield between hits, they generally stay in place long enough for the second hit to break the shield, it's guaranteed. That's why bomb is feared. Otherwise, why wouldn't you block it every time and punish with the strongest move you've got? There would be little reward for high risk, especially if shields could soak it up without breaking.

Doctor Troggy

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I recently started practicing with Bowser and I think I'd like to pick him up as a main to use as a secondary. I know about the recently added Up-Throw to Up Air/Up Tilt/Up Smash method to rack up damage, but are there any other things I should know about and/or practise with the Bows?

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Hey guys! I recently started practicing with Bowser and I think I'd like to pick him up as a main to use as a secondary. I know about the recently added Up-Throw to Up Air/Up Tilt/Up Smash method to rack up damage, but are there any other things I should know about and/or practise with the Bows?
Jab followups, pivot grab, Fortress as an OoS punish against aerials, Side B to A-land, practicing Bowser's run skid stop, Usmash's shellguard to beat incoming aerials, Fortress boost, covering ledge options with Fortress, what moves are armored by Tough Guy (look for a spoiler named "tough guy", everything else I can think of is expiremental or specific to matchups, so check out all these textbooks first. There's going to be a test on Tuesday.

Doctor Troggy

Smash Rookie
Nice! It might take a while to get to grips with all of Bowser's tech and hitboxes, but that's a great help! Thanks, Zapp! (Brilliant username by the way)

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Hey Tough Guys! Can you help a fellow bad guy out?

What's the optimal way to DI Bowser's Uthrow combos at different percents? Also, is there a way to DI the throw to avoid the kill confirm at high percents or at least a way to make the window harder to land?

If you can't guess, I play Wah-rio if that changes anything.

Last edited:

arcticfox_14

Smash Cadet
NNID
arcticfox14
Hey Tough Guys! Can you help a fellow bad guy out?

What's the optimal way to DI Bowser's Uthrow combos at different percents? Also, is there a way to DI the throw to avoid the kill confirm at high percents or at least a way to make the window harder to land?

If you can't guess, I play Wah-rio if that changes anything.
The kill percents list in another topic has Wario's kill percentage at 97, which means on FD the u-air will start killing and be unavoidable at 97, but likely continues to do so a little longer. What you don't want to do if you're too high (my guess is around 110 or more) is mash air dodge. If I attempt to kill an opponent that I KNOW is at too high a %, I'll let them airdodge back into my u-air's range and kill them with the read. So if you suspect you're too high to reach, the safest bet is double-jump.

As for DI, given an up throw at certain rage at certain percent you really only have two options to pick from. Right above Bowser (do nothing) and above but slightly in front of (DI forward). DI backward, up or down seems to have no effect in my experience. That said, if an opponent is on the upper end of "guaranteed kill" percentage, it's harder to reach them if they go straight up (no DI). Best bet IMO is to always DI forward at non-kill percentages so that when it counts the Bowser is conditioned not to expect the DI up. Even if he makes the read the attack inputs are stricter if you don't DI and you may get lucky.

Last edited:

CreamyFatone

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, has anyone done any research on option selects with Bowser?

I figure with his big shield we ought to be able to take advantage of shield stun OS or even perfect parry. Unfortunately, the execution of them are still a bit of a mystery to me. Anyway, please share your thoughts/knowledge.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Hello,

New to Bowser.

How do I short hop autocancel the lag for his fair and bair? Everything I've found says that's possible. But it doesn't teach how. :(

Thank you :D

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Hello,

New to Bowser.

How do I short hop autocancel the lag for his fair and bair? Everything I've found says that's possible. But it doesn't teach how. :(

Thank you :D
You short hop and then Fair or Bair immediately. Nothing else to it. With Bowser it's easy to buffer an aerial during his long jumpsquat animation, so Jump - Fair.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Is uthrow bair guaranteed? If so is it di and/or percent dependent?

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Depends on the character. It is subject to DI and works at low to mid %.

CreamyFatone

Smash Cadet
How do you ledge cancel klaw? Is it possible to do it while landing on the ledge or on a platform?

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
How do you ledge cancel klaw? Is it possible to do it while landing on the ledge or on a platform?
Well there are two things you could be referring to. 1 is actually the official ledge cancelled klaw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOwfw7Qbfoo. You perform this by timing a b reverse while dashing at the perfect moment. This is kind of a useless technioff que though. If you want to use it to grab the ledge, the quarter circle method is like strictly faster. You can also use it to get out a quick bair, but you pretty much never see anyone do this. rar fast fall bair accomplishes a lot of the need of this kind of movement.

You could also be referring to the ability for klaw to cancel all landing lag or what some people call A-landing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbC_nNAMYsU) The beauty of the move is that it does not require any specific timing to get the benefits. Hell if you finish the move before you land it accomplishes the same effect. You should already be doing this in leiu of teching pretty much any time you can. Note that for some moves you'll have to DI straight up to be able to pull this off because there is an inherent wait time before moves are A-landable. The other thing to note is that If you are sent really high up in the air just fair or something. Don't wait until you are low to the ground to klaw and risk getting dash attacked.

Nah

Smash Champion
I was kinda wondering how Tough Guy works. I get that it's basically "Bowser armors through weak attacks for some period of time", and I saw the link in Zapp Branniglenn's post about it, but that post had nothing for either Robin or Corrin so.....

It must have at least some general rules or formulas as to what constitutes a "weak attack", how long it allows him to armor through attacks, if multihits change anything or not, etc.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I was kinda wondering how Tough Guy works. I get that it's basically "Bowser armors through weak attacks for some period of time", and I saw the link in Zapp Branniglenn's post about it, but that post had nothing for either Robin or Corrin so.....

It must have at least some general rules or formulas as to what constitutes a "weak attack", how long it allows him to armor through attacks, if multihits change anything or not, etc.
If a move deals knockback less than a certain threshold, Bowser takes damage and hitlag but doesn't flinch or get knocked anywhere. That's the long and short of it. If you're familiar with knockback based heavy armor (demonstrated at 2:29 in this video), it's precisely that on Bowser at all times. Knockback for attacks in Smash Bros. scale based on how much damage the opponent has taken, so naturally, some moves will scale to a point where Bowser no longer armors them, like Luigi's fireball. And some moves don't scale based on the opponent's damage because they have fixed knockback, like Falco's Blaster if Bowser is crouching. Ah, crouching reduces knockback from attacks by about 20% or so, allowing more moves to come under the threshold. Bowser's tough guy armor operates 100% with the game's engine for calculating knockback, so I would most recommend studying how knockback works in Smash Bros, as it will give you more of an understanding of how Tough Guy works.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
luke_atyeo luke_atyeo We aren't as complex as Shulk. The commentators mainly fumble on logical things, like Bowser's ground moves having limb intangibility, or Bowse's UpB looking very similar to his DSmash despite being much faster, dealing more hits, and having less KB. Everything else is resolved by saying things like "big %", "kill confirm", or "combo food". Ah, and yea, commentators just say whatever they want when a shield break happens. It's all good.

Edit: DSmash, not DownB.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Corrected to DSmash. But that's about it. Oh, and people still think our Uthrow kill confirm is gone and that it's only a 50/50. This is wrong. It's a true combo till past the kill % range, barring characters that can cancel low % hitstun, like Greninja.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
What makes Bowser mid tier?
Best throw combos in the game (matched only by DK), best non-tether grab range, a low commitment jab that leads into those grab consistently and has more range than entire characters' movesets like Mario, Fox, Metaknight, Sheik, etc an invincible Usmash, A moveset that deals 9-24% damage on hit, a great OoS option with Fortress, catching 2 frame ledge snaps with Ftilt or Dtilt with correct spacing, using Fortress to cover ledge options when you mistime hitting their ledge snap, limb intangibility on moves allowing you to beat aerials, A bowser bomb that breaks shields, and a companion Fsmash that kills at 40% if you take the time to push them to the ledge, A frame 8 command grab, that same command grab which is slower and worse from the air but has no landing lag, so you can use it to A land or approach and beat both shield and dodges (this is also really relevant when jumping onstage from the ledge), Short hop Air dodge cancel into specials, and a weight class that really takes advantage of rage since the amount of moves that don't kill outright at reasonable percents can be counted on one hand. And Bowser spends about half of each stock over 100% in damage because before this point he's getting comboed.

As for why Bowser isn't high tier: His recovery is slow and affords little protection (but still a lot of distance and variety in angles you can approach the ledge if you know how to Fortress Boost), high startup which is relevant for avoiding punishes, a large hurtbox which makes dodging and jumping much more commital than it should be, A frame 8 jumpsquat and slow aerials making us want to stay on the ground, Fire breath being less safe and consistent than Charizard's, and enough trouble landing that retreating to a ledge is safer than repeatedly using A-land to mixup on your opponent. Plus his aerials have a ton of landing lag for seemingly no reason, namely Uair and Bair. And Fortress should have the standard 30 frames special landing lag when landing in special fall, rather than 50.

Last edited:

Saltix

Smash Lord
Can anyone give me some information on the Side-B Mechanics? I've done a search here but couldn't find anything.

EDIT: Actually a moveset write up for the specials would be great. Heard you can mash Up-B in some instances. Thanks!

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Saltix Saltix https://youtu.be/usofyNT2hsA

Other than that, Side B is frame 8 on the ground, 13 in the air, loses to attacks, is only active for 1 frame, and has a range shorter than his actual hand (up to the palm).

EDIT: 17 in the air. My b. Listen to Zapp.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Can anyone give me some information on the Side-B Mechanics? I've done a search here but couldn't find anything.

EDIT: Actually a moveset write up for the specials would be great. Heard you can mash Up-B in some instances. Thanks!
Flying Slam is a command grab that's got frame 8 startup and frame 17 startup from the air. And half to most of Bowser's character-specific tech relates to this move in some way. The air version has no landing lag state so the move "auto cancels" whether the grab had become active or not. No other special move has this property in Smash 4. Bowser's auto cancel lag or "hard landing" lag is 6 frames, so when we say the move is lagless, we really mean it's as lagless as autocancelling an aerial. If you've heard of A-landing, Bowser can do that with Side B, but it works on any frame, not just the first three or so, and it's a great landing mixup when it looks like Bowser will tech the ground, but is suddenly standing upright with his shield, or performing jab. Using Aerial Side B as an attack is also interesting because the typical response to an airborne target approaching you is to shield - after all, they can't grab from the air. Not only does an air grab deal with shields, it also deals with dodges. If the other player spot dodges or rolls to escape air side B, Bowser only suffers 6 frames of landing lag while they're stuck in a long animation.

When you successfully grab a target, both Bowser and the victim can influence the direction with the control stick pressing left or right. How much control each player has is dependent on the difference between their current damage. This thread provides some data. Bowser generally has more control than the victim, and a slight edge if he's trying to move in the direction he's facing. This priority of influence is great because it's unlikely the victim will take you over the edge when you don't want to, and also lets you precisely aim to land on platforms for a greater likelihood of a vertical kill. When you take a victim over the edge to kill them (officially dubbed "Bowsercide"), it doesn't behave 100% consistently. Sometimes both characters die on the same frame, which will lead to a sudden death if both were on the last stock. The game itself does not ever rule Bowser the victor unless he had one more stock than the opponent, so refer to your tournament's ruleset on what to do about a sudden death, or if there's a suicide clause that mentions Bowsercide. The other possibility is that the victim is released at the bottom blastzone as Bowser is killed. This is an issue because the victim is in a neutral falling state, and may have a good enough recovery to return to the ledge. In a non-customs environment on Battlefield (which has a very high ledge from the bottom blastzone), 16 characters can make it back to the ledge if they know what to do. As for what stages consistently release the opponent, there's no confirmed consensus, as all our lists have been refuted at least once when stress testing possibilities. In general, I've never seen a double KO on Battlefield, Town and City, and Lylat Cruise, and omega stages don't have the same ruling as normal FD - about half release the victim while the other half have a double KO.

That's generally it for Side B as it is currently. Fire Breath has no important tech. Just know that when you blast the move over the edge or into the air, a larger portion of the move becomes a damaging windbox that you may or may not want. It's a commital attack to use in 1v1, generally only left to certain matchups where the victim has extreme difficulty getting over the flames safely, like Doctor Mario, Ganondorf, Roy, etc. It's also consistent in hitting opponents trying to grab the ledge for free damage, and it's vital for the Bowser jr matchup since you can instant kill him if he used Up B to get to the ledge.

Bowser Bomb is also mundane. It is a frame 11 vertical kill move with great range, but it can occasionally knock the opponent too far if they are randomly holding away from Bowser, or are playing as jigglypuff. The closer you are with the initial hitbox, and the less rage Bowser has, the better. It used to be the premiere hard punish until Bowser got a combo throw. Now with dash grab, Bowser can deal even more damage than Bomb and get earlier kills. Bowser can grab the ledge when falling, just make sure you're not still holding down as you pass it. It's a good idea to use this to get down from the air to the ledge in a way that they can't challenge. Counters are a good answer to that, but I've yet to see an opponent think to use that in time. Landing onstage with Bowser Bomb will incur 55 frames of landing lag which is riskier than even Dair. However, it will break shields.

Whirling Fortress is a very technical move. From the ground it's Bowser's fastest OoS option that easily deals with crossups. It has lost some perks from previous games, like allowing Bowser to fall off a ledge and grab it as a way to cut the move's long endlag. And it also no longer has 5 frames of invulnerability. Since the move has 24 active hit frames, that's enough to consistently hit all ledge options from the opponent. You can learn more here. Air Fortress is a pretty good recovery move. By learning how to fortress boost, Bowser gains more distance and height. Allowing you to edgeguard deeper, approach the ledge from less linear angles, and save your double jump as a means of getting past your opponent's edgeguards. Air Fortress grabs the ledge as early as frame 8 both in front and behind, which is great as it allows you to get liberal with offstage aerials if that's how you prefer to edgeguard. It's not so good for recovering on to the stage rather than grabbing the ledge. The move has 50 frames of special landing lag rather than the standard 30. There's a hitbox on every frame of air fortress, but it's not very disjointed to the sides or above Bowser. Combined with Fortress' slow movement speed, it's easy to hit Bowser with a variety of low priority attacks. Also landing all hitboxes of Air fortress will deal over 30% damage. Which is insane, but not considered viable with how the move clearly wasn't designed to be used as a deliberate attack.

Possom

Smash Cadet
Is there any info out there on the reverse fair combos? Like how to do them and at what percents?

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Possom Possom We currently do not have any tutorials on how, just demonstrations. We know that against mid weights, the % range is in the low 40s for chaining properly, even if it isn't out of a UThrow.

You will want to consider using claw grip on your controller. It's possible without using claw grip, but many find it easier to do with that grip. Set C-stick to Attack. When you UThrow, practice timing your pivot -> rising reverse FAir so that you hit the opponent before reaching the apex of your jump, using C-Stick for the FAir to make it easier to drift towards them. Depending on weight and DI, you can follow up with the double jump BAir.

I'll make a query on Discord and see if anyone is up for recording their hands alongside game footage. We typically do not explore this option as much as we'd like due to its difficulty and window for execution. With DI, the timing for it gets much stricter and you may end up sending the opponent in unintended trajectories.

Last edited:

Possom

Smash Cadet
Possom Possom We currently do not have any tutorials on how, just demonstrations. We know that against mid weights, the % range is in the low 40s for chaining properly, even if it isn't out of a UThrow.

You will want to consider using claw grip on your controller. It's possible without using claw grip, but many find it easier to do with that grip. Set C-stick to Attack. When you UThrow, practice timing your pivot -> rising reverse FAir so that you hit the opponent before reaching the apex of your jump, using C-Stick for the FAir to make it easier to drift towards them. Depending on weight and DI, you can follow up with the double jump BAir.

I'll make a query on Discord and see if anyone is up for recording their hands alongside game footage. We typically do not explore this option as much as we'd like due to its difficulty and window for execution. With DI, the timing for it gets much stricter and you may end up sending the opponent in unintended trajectories.
Thanks for the help, I actually do use claw grip during some combos for some characters, like Falcon footstool stuff.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed recently that Nairo is playing Bowser in tournament quite a bit. What does it mean for this character that such a high ranking player is using him seriously? Has everyone been sleeping on this character, or is Nairo perhaps hoping that his opponents lack knowledge about the matchup? Is Nairo using Bowser mainly as a counterpick vs certain characters, and if so, which characters does he make sense against, and why?

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Zarxrax Zarxrax If you're attempting to understand Nairo's reasons for using Bowser, then the best course of action is to ask the man himself. Tweet at him, go to his stream, email his business email. None of us here on the Bowser board can speak for Nairo, much less say we underrate Bowser because that's clearly not the case for us. On the contrary, LordMix believes Bowser is top 5, and many of our members have been rocking Bowser since the UThrow patch precisely because of his explosive power. Cassius up in NY can and has taken down PRd players with Bowser. KingKong in Canada consistently performs well with Bowser and was largely considered one of the best Bowsers from the Brawl era. Lunick is on the official power ranking for Ohio. DinoKnight is making a splash in south Florida. The list goes on and on, and that's just USA. You still have Pollo in Mexico, Paru in Japan, and HIKARU also in Japan. FanFan and Bushaheen are also active out in Europe. The only reason they are ignored is because of the marketing engine that is eSports and lack of exposure/networking on social media and streams.

We cannot speak for Nairo. If you are so concerned, ask him directly since no one else here is going to do it for you. As for ourselves, nothing has changed. We continue to diligently use Bowser as always. Nairo has only just begun to use Bowser, so we won't know if he'll use him as a counter-pick until the next time he does so.

Bowser counter-pick is very simple. You pick Bowser to screw up an opponent's playstyle. If they use straight forward characters like Mario or Cloud, Bowser's powerful whiff punish options can earn you a quick victory and keep an opponent off-balance. That's it. Then you switch back to whoever else you want to use.

Hope this answers your questions. Get out there and ping Nairo for real. He won't bite you.

Last edited:

TheRabidChipmunk

Smash Cadet
Something I've noticed a lot of Bowser players do is utilize Bowser's turn-around skid animation, where he slides in spot and faces the opposite direction. Is there a reason or an advantage to this?

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
TheRabidChipmunk TheRabidChipmunk Not really. It's more for killing time because you didn't want to commit to a pivot grab or pivot FTilt, which has even more end lag. Clean play will involve dash stop over the pivot animation. You can verify this with recent matches by Cassius at the House of 3000.

Top Bottom