• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Cronoc Cronoc the platforms in Dreamland are a little higher, but they're also smaller...UTilt still sweeps the platform, and since its smaller that gives you easier Bowser bomb shield break setups when someone is on the platform. Side b also becomes easier to land since there's less room for error, and there's less space for them to tech roll (I guess this adds to the first point)

The thinner platforms do work against us though for those exact same reasons. We're big as **** and that gives us even less room if we're stuck there

I haven't had issues from the wind with Bowser bombing to the edge though but that's still a valid concern I suppose.

Last edited:

KromosomY

Smash Cadet
Hi! I've been playing Smash4 for over a year now and I come from Malaysia, with no other players and loads of lag online! Let's have a joke at it!

My current regular playing field is with the kids in the neighbouring country Singapore. Feel free to check them out!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuperSmashBrosSG/

Nintendo connects me mostly against Japanese players on FG, and sad to say maybe 1 out of 10 games are playable. If it wasn't for the kiddies in Singapore I'd have already stopped playing but they've pushed me to carry on! Recently I've decided to expand my game in hopes that there are more players whom I can maybe play with low lag experiences, but to also share my love for Smash! Coz Smash!! :)

Last edited:

Tri10

Smash Cadet
NNID
chambergojd
Hi! I've been playing Smash4 for over a year now and I come from Malaysia, with no other players and loads of lag online! Let's have a joke at it!

My current regular playing field is with the kids in the neighbouring country Singapore. Feel free to check them out!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuperSmashBrosSG/

Nintendo connects me mostly against Japanese players on FG, and sad to say maybe 1 out of 10 games are playable. If it wasn't for the kiddies in Singapore I'd have already stopped playing but they've pushed me to carry on! Recently I've decided to expand my game in hopes that there are more players whom I can maybe play with low lag experiences, but to also share my love for Smash! Coz Smash!! :)
Nice to see new faces! Hope the players and info here help you get better as well.

TheKingofKoopas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bowser5566
3DS FC
0001-3508-1615
So, I finally went to a real competitive tournament today.
It was run by the "Video Game Tournament Club", which is a completely brand new club made just last week at my college. I had no idea what I was up against aside from my friend who I was training with.

My first match was against a :4rob: player, who was regarded as "the best ROB player I've ever seen" whenever I asked about him. He would repeatedly do a very fast combo of the top and his lasers, so I kept catching it and shielded his lasers. Whenever somebody was launched, he would always chase after and go for the Uair or Dair, so I would try to air dodge or up smash him if I was on the ground. I ended up winning 2 - 1.
The next match I won 2 - 0. The third match I lost to a really fast and PKFire happy :4ness:. At this point, everyone in the winners brackets and a good portion of the losers bracket that was left were already known around the campus (and the next campus over as their Melee scene is really strong) for being really good Smash players, so people were cheering me on because I was using a "low-tier character"
I kept advancing through the losers bracket with a consistent 2 - 1 until a :4robinm:(who went to the finals btw) beat me 1 - 2. My biggest problem was just not knowing the MU. I had no idea how his combos worked, and he would change them up every time I was finding a way out of them. My friend who I had been playing with all day before the tourney (he played :4lucina:and :4mario:) had been flying through the winners bracket, faced against the :4robinm:from the losers bracket in the grande finale and ended up winning the whole thing.

It's funny because my friends and I who didn't have much experience with tournaments ended up doing really well. I made it into the top 8 and am now known as the best Bowser on my campus, while my friend who won the tournament is considered a god because of some crazy stunt he decided to do under the stage that almost got him killed but ended up helping him win. When the video pops up I'll link it because it got everyone there screaming from hype.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Cronoc Cronoc the platforms in Dreamland are a little higher, but they're also smaller...UTilt still sweeps the platform, and since its smaller that gives you easier Bowser bomb shield break setups when someone is on the platform. Side b also becomes easier to land since there's less room for error, and there's less space for them to tech roll (I guess this adds to the first point)

The thinner platforms do work against us though for those exact same reasons. We're big as **** and that gives us even less room if we're stuck there

I haven't had issues from the wind with Bowser bombing to the edge though but that's still a valid concern I suppose.
Did a little bit of testing finally, I think the wind on dreamland stops where the ledge does, making it safe to bomb to the ledge without worrying about being pushed back a la FLUDD or something. I was wrong about utilt not having coverage, it actually covers the whole platform compared to battlefield's 4/5 or so coverage. Probably should play on this stage more.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I'm new here looking to pick up bowser but I'm having problems with how he 'feels', it's hard to explain but his dash feels slow, so does his jump, and everything else it's like I feel the weight of browser on my controller haha anyone know what I mean?? Same thing with captain falcon he feels slow even tho he's fast. Do I just have to get used to it?

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Hey guys I'm new here looking to pick up bowser but I'm having problems with how he 'feels', it's hard to explain but his dash feels slow, so does his jump, and everything else it's like I feel the weight of browser on my controller haha anyone know what I mean?? Same thing with captain falcon he feels slow even tho he's fast. Do I just have to get used to it?
His jump is slow, 8 frames. Bowser is a slower character, even when played as fast as possible he'll never be played at the speed of some of the speedsters. Playing Bowser often feels like you're playing about 8-17 frames in the future, as in you get used to pressing the buttons before one might with a faster character. Part of hitting things with Bowser is a matter of prediction. Try playing as Sheik afterwards and it feels very different, like playing in the present, in comparison. When you commit to a short hop fair with Bowser, you're committing to a 19 frame action, minimum. That's a long time, so to commit to that requires a prediction of where the opponent will be, if they'll shield etc. What you're looking at as you're about to start that sequence will not necessarily be the same when the attack actually hits. It's an educated guess based on judging character momentum and at least a small read (or just YOLO'ing it I guess). Even his ground game generally often requires judging whether a 9-10 frame action will get out in time or beat the opponent's next move. I love pivot grabs, but they require timing that is often a little bit more than pure reaction (many things are faster than 11 frames). Reading the opponent is part of it, and a key to a Bowser player's success.

Anyway, if you get what I mean... yeah, you get used to it. You also may not be used to playing characters with the kind of aerial momentum Bowser and Falcon have, that could be part of it too. When both of those characters run into a jump, they're carrying a lot of momentum behind them and can't quickly reverse it like some characters can unless they burn a jump. Ryu would be the extreme version of this, his aerial momentum makes him feel totally out of my control in the air. Jumping forward is a real commitment. Bowser is not quite that extreme, but short hop into an aerial and your fade-back abilities will be minimal.

Tri10

Smash Cadet
NNID
chambergojd
^ Ninja'd. In all seriousness Bowser has to play a defensive game focused on taking advantage of opponents' mistakes and punishing them. When you do though, you have to be almost positive that what you commit to will be the right choice. So yeah, it takes a bit to get used to from other characters. It's a very extreme difference from many of the other characters.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
OK I see it's very weird coming from game and watch and Kirby and olimar as my mains to pick up a heavy like this

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
OK I see it's very weird coming from game and watch and Kirby and olimar as my mains to pick up a heavy like this
Ha this is partly what makes connecting hits with Bowser so satisfying. When I land a bair, bowser bomb, fsmash etc you bet there was a read, and not only did I reap a great reward, my opponent is kicking themselves for being predictable or putting themselves in that situation. Nothing says "you done ****ed up" to an opponent like getting shield broken by Bowser bomb.

TheKingofKoopas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bowser5566
3DS FC
0001-3508-1615

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Guys,there are a lot of things that I need to test but I need someone to do them. Is any of you interested to go online sometimes and to test boring things ? For the sake of trying to push a little bit more bowser metagame.

The list of what I want to test:

Fair to jab/dtilt/ftilt/dash attack/dash grab/sideb
Combo that dair can break us out
Edgeguard tools against a lot of recovery
Punishing some Aerials after an airdodge (I think you can dair back rob if you airdodge all his uair)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Can someone, liek, teach me how to use B-Air and F-Smash. I just can't seem to HIT those damn things. B-Air's super fast and powerful, and yet, I keep findind myself either too short (horizontally) or too late to hit it (either they're grounded and shielding or too close to the edge offstage for me to even hit with it). F-Smash is just super slow and has a terrible hurtbox around Bowser. Most of the time I can't even punish landings because I get hit or something. At least Brawl's F-Smash had an awesome disjointed hitbox and was pretty damn safe...(and it was actually easier to kill with B-Air too).

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Guys,there are a lot of things that I need to test but I need someone to do them. Is any of you interested to go online sometimes and to test boring things ? For the sake of trying to push a little bit more bowser metagame.

Punishing some Aerials after an airdodge (I think you can dair back rob if you airdodge all his uair)
I might be able to help you this weekend. We haven't had a lot of big Bowser discoveries in a while.

@Oz checkout this post I did a while ago: http://smashboards.com/threads/landing-bowsers-forward-smash.405715/#post-19373476. Since then I've found a few more uses of fsmash. A lot of people are so scared of my ledge get up options that they just hang on the ledge long enough to get fsmashed. Also punishing people who land and buffer a roll behind you, this happens a lot near the edge. Pivot fsmash i've found is also an amazing roll punish tool.

Like you said bair is fast, it should actually be quite easy to get, but i've found you really need to practice it otherwise it won't be part of your muscle memory when playing the game. The easiest bair punish is full hop bair when reading a jump from the ledge. Another easy one s if someone like mario is throwing a fireball from offstage to safely get back to the stage, just double jump bair them. If you do retreating fairs as a footsie tool, retreating bair is almost as fast, has almost as much range, and can kill at 80%. People hard landing up + b's on platforms is also a pretty classic setup for a bair punish.

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
KingKong_ad KingKong_ad That sounds great, maybe sometime when I'm back in action I'll be able to help. I'll let you know when, there are a ton of things that I'm looking to test too.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Guys,there are a lot of things that I need to test but I need someone else to do them. Is any of you interested to go online sometimes and to test boring things ? For the sake of trying to push a little bit more bowser metagame.

The times that I'm available are pretty weird, but I'm always down for labbing. Maybe you ought to make a conversation on Smashboards or a Skype group where everybody that wants to test can be apart of. That way you make a call for when you want to lab, and whoever is available can respond.

A quick note about that Dair for combo breaking. I just noticed recently that weight based throws actually have endlag depending on the thrown target. Bowser is the heaviest character, so when he's thrown by a weight based throw like Mario's Dthrow, they have as little time as possible to followup. I never noticed that.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Speaking of gathering results, I've had a draft of a new thread for a community project I've been sitting on for a little bit now, mostly because I don't want to put it out there and have it get shot down or no support. It seems pretty do-able but it'll need some help, I can't do it on my own. I'll post it soon I suppose.

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Thanks for everyone who wants to help me! Im usually not that free on weekends since I see my friends a lot but generally on week Im free. Having a place to ask people if they can lab with us is a great ide tbh. Btw I would like to help other people as well :)
Btw Im mostly free today so yeah if someone wants to lab or even play a little, add me kingkongca.

Yesterday I got 3rd out of 39. Even if its a decent placing, Im not really happy of my performance since I did a lot of errors on many things even against people I beat fairly easy. I lack a lot of edgeguarding, my punishes are not optimal, I did stupid rolls and aridodges and I commited a lot. Oh well, it only shows that I have a lot of things to work on.

Btw I managed to break out of some combos with dair and I successed a fair to grab combo against Holy (what Im actually working on)

Zapp Branniglenn Zapp Branniglenn Mario cant even shield till 10-15%, I tested it with my brother lol

Last edited:

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Is there anyone interested to do a highlight video of bowser to show people what he can do ? I want to do one in a not so far future but might as well do it with other bowser mains.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Is there anyone interested to do a highlight video of bowser to show people what he can do ? I want to do one in a not so far future but might as well do it with other bowser mains.
I've kind of been doing this since September just uploading youtube videos of me beating up people on for glory (along with some more competitive ones). Having only the Wii U's replay upload feature to work with, getting a combo video together hasn't really been in the cards for me. I'd like to think some of my videos have moments where they come close to a combo video though...

Last edited:

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Tomorrow, Im planning to lab a lot, so if there is someone who wants to help me. Give me a sign!

B-Black

Smash Cadet
NNID
BBlack2
3DS FC
2681-1589-1276

Jazzasaur

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingofSnorlax
3DS FC
1934-1786-2430
Heya everyone! Became a Bowser main since the early days smash 4's 3DS release and still main him today! Really glad to be here and hope to get to know people here, and learn some stuff!

Kind of just beginning to start look at smash competitively, starting working on how to best play each character. It's going to take a while but it's something I'd love to try. Perhaps get to try a go at tournaments long way down the line. Great to see so many awesome players here as well!

Mostly have been playing smash casually up until recently, started playing smash back when brawl first came out, falling in love with the series. Thought Bowser was really cool back then too!

Huge fan of Bowser as a character, think he's pretty awesome! Loved his paper Mario and Mario rpg appearances! Plus I enjoy playing the heavy weight characters, his attacks are really so much fun to use, so he fits my favourite type really well! :)

Hope you all have a great day! :grin:

:003:

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Is there any ways to contact you guys ? I really need some help with some testing. I also find another interesting thing we can do with platforms. But there again, I need someone to help me testing lol.

Jazzasaur

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingofSnorlax
3DS FC
1934-1786-2430
Is there any ways to contact you guys ? I really need some help with some testing. I also find another interesting thing we can do with platforms. But there again, I need someone to help me testing lol.
If you have the 3DS version, I'd be happy to help if you'd like? No worries if not. Hope you can find some people that can help with any tests you need!

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Do you use Skype? It's quick and efficient for testing things with people online. You could also make a Conversation on Smashboards and invite everybody that volunteers to help. That way you announce ahead of time when you'll be available for a session, and anybody else in the conversation can respond before then. Make a schedule for this sort of thing.

I read what things you want to test, and I'd be happy to help as well. I've just been occupied with block advantage charts for the rest of the cast. Just finished Ness. This work is important so that we can find the cool, impractical things like this.

K~G|Spacejam

Best data miner in Geelong. (Screw you KH)
Hello everyone.

So I've been a long time lurker, rarely ever posting. I'm an Aussie Bowser main. I've only recently started using him in tournaments (2 months) and have been loving him. I do alright with him in tournaments and I hope I can get good enough to make it out of pools at the next major I attend.

I talk with a few of the Bowser mains here on occasion and often see/verse boozer at locals. Hopefully I can start posting more for advice and friendly banter.

Cheers lads.

Top Bottom