• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Obviously! :rolleyes:
I was just saying, since people were wanting bowser to have a projectile on this thread. I think he probably could do with a projectile to be honest. Or get fire-breath back to like it was in melee (among other things.)

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
His side-B can be bullet bill then, and then his up grab the koopa claw we have in brawl...
Sorted?
NO!
Don't you remember his B-up Whirling Fortress was his best special move in Melee? We need that move just like how it was then and still keep the Flying Slam!
I would have his special moves be like this:
Neutral B tap - Fire Ball Neutral B hold - Fire Breath
Side B - Flying Slam
Up B - Whirling Fortress (Melee Style!)
Down B - Hammer Throw (throws them in a chain arc like he does in Super Mario Bros.)

jigglover

Smash Lord
FooltheFlames, I said up grab read back, you'll see. Obviously whirling fortress needs to be like it was in melee, those alloys in 100 man-melee...
Have his side B bullet bill, and then he can keep ground pound, possibly stunning about 1 1/2 Jigglypuffs (in range) either side of him. I can't be the only one who finds great use in that move? Hammer throw sounds like the least effective attack in the game (if it did get in). He throws the hammer onto the other side of the stage high up in the air, so he it's actually extremely unlikely you'll hit anyone, AND, it shouldn't do much damage and knockback if it hits. And down B? It has no relation to any other down Bs in brawl, apart from the fact there are some other range attacks (R.O.B) for down B, and his throwing it to the side and up anyway!

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I am not opting for Koopa to lose Koopa Klaw/Flying Slam in exchange for launching a Bullet Bill. How Generic.

Bowser works best close range anyway. Just make his Fire Breath stronger and have better range.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
FooltheFlames, I said up grab read back, you'll see. Obviously whirling fortress needs to be like it was in melee, those alloys in 100 man-melee...
Have his side B bullet bill, and then he can keep ground pound, possibly stunning about 1 1/2 Jigglypuffs (in range) either side of him. I can't be the only one who finds great use in that move? Hammer throw sounds like the least effective attack in the game (if it did get in). He throws the hammer onto the other side of the stage high up in the air, so he it's actually extremely unlikely you'll hit anyone, AND, it shouldn't do much damage and knockback if it hits. And down B? It has no relation to any other down Bs in brawl, apart from the fact there are some other range attacks (R.O.B) for down B, and his throwing it to the side and up anyway!
OH! You did say up grab I see... Wut have i been drinking? LOL
Anyways I think the hammers are a good idea for Down B, never found much use for Bowser Bomb except to drop in real fast on the edge from up high. And who cares if it shows no relation to other Down B's? It would just serve to make Bowser more unique! My idea for it works like this - Tap Down B to enter a stance where Bowser sticks one arm out with a hammer and the other arm on his hip. In this stance bowser loses his second jump. You just start smashing B to thrw out hammers! The hammers act like in the game they come from - they rise a little, then fall creating a arc-like chain of projectiles. But they fall kind of slowly making them usefull to throw off stage setting up for EDGEGUARDZ! That would be there main purpose because they wouldnt have strong knockback, just make you flinch.
And the Fire Balls move where you tap B instead of holding it should act like your Bullet Bills.
And also Flying Slam needs to stay Side B so Bowser has acess to an aerial grab! Thats what really makes it one of his best special moves!

jigglover

Smash Lord
Your hammers sound like a mario RPG... Select the attack and press it as much as possible. Besides, it sounds pretty unaimable, and if you shoot in the same place then your opponent can air dodge the first one, and then he'll be in a different place! :/ And balancing options will come into play if you can throw them endlessly off the edge of the stage close together...

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
No, I would throw the hammers somewhere out in front of my opponent and not directly at them! Then jump off the stage and fair them while their stuck in the lag after their air dodge. Or if the opponent had a predictable recovery path like Fox's fire fox, I could hit them during that path I know they'll take. Also the hammers would be good at controling air space during the battle on stage since they'll have a slow falling arc speed. If you can control that you can control the stage, making your enemies feel boxed in while fighting Bowser and suddenly it doesnt look like you can out run him very much any more!
And to fix it possibly being broken limit the hammers on screen to 3 or 5 or so at once. Have a little start up lag much like when Link or Peach pull out their bombs and turnips when he enters the pose to start throwing them.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kind of like him throwing hammers.

He's had hammers and fire since game 1, though not in every game

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I love the idea of Bowser throwing hammers, it fits infinitely more tha bullet bills that's for sure. He threw hammers way back in Super Mario Bros and even today in NSMB2.

:phone:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
This may be a little thing but i would love to see bowser use his clown copter to enter the stage instead of walking through an inferno portal.

:wiiu:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Wow, I wish I had paid attention to this discussion earlier. I think the easiest way to give Bowser an actual projectile is to have him breathe a fireball when his Neutral Special is tapped. Not only does it fit nicely with this already-fiery move, but it fits on the input as well, because when Fire Breath is used, the input is almost always held down anyways, not tapped.

Perhaps this will become part of Sakurai's "new direction" customizing he's hoping to implement?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Melee Whirling Fortress would also have been nice on Bowser in Brawl. Though, not even Project M effectively balanced Bowser out it seems, so perhaps there really is no hope or him.. Unless they revamp him GOOD, by making him 1.5x as large and heavy.

DarkAres

Smash Rookie
Wow, I wish I had paid attention to this discussion earlier. I think the easiest way to give Bowser an actual projectile is to have him breathe a fireball when his Neutral Special is tapped. Not only does it fit nicely with this already-fiery move, but it fits on the input as well, because when Fire Breath is used, the input is almost always held down anyways, not tapped.

Perhaps this will become part of Sakurai's "new direction" customizing he's hoping to implement?

I actually was thinking of something like this as well. After all, the very first thing we see from Bowser in the original SMB is his fireballs being shot at us before the bridge; we need that represented.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's also about time Bowser's Castle got represented...

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
You know what I want to see bowser do? Throw a friggin chain chomp by it's chain at somebody.
Much like what his weapon of choice was in super mario RPG.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
^ That's actually a cool idea. Maybe if the player presses the A button just at the right time, the Chain Chomp will bite a couple of times for extra damage. In fact, there's a lot of things from Super Mario RPG that I'd love to see. But that's a different story...

But anyway, I'd love to see a Bowser's Castle stage as well. I think it's really iconic, not only because of Mario Kart, but also because of it's important roles in other Mario games. You don't want to mess with the King of the Koopas on his home turf!

grizby2

Smash Lord
i think throws in general need more flavor.
in bowser's case i like to picture him doing some cool dead-awesome throws.

forward throw - bowser grabs his opponent by the legs with both arms and flings them forward.
back throw - bowser turns around and winds up the arm hes using to hold the opponent and pitches them like a baseball.
up throw - stays the same except maybe bowser's shell jumps to emphasize the enemy going upward.
down throw - bowser does an elbow drop instead of oddly falling over into the opponent with his body. (or keep it, its kinda grown on us i suppose.)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was thinking if his shell should function like Link's shield. It's a spiked turtle shell after all.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
That could be pretty cool, actually.

If Bowser's gonna get a new B move, I suppose his Down-B could become his new Dair.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think his down B should be changed to match Mario Galaxy 2. In that game, Bowser leaps in the air and comes down with a fist to create a shockwave. More of a visual update, but the shockwave would be useful to justify the lag.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Good one.

I also think Bowser should be the biggest character in the game. Bigger than Ridley even.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
As far as new moves for Bowser, I figured with M&L3 and Super Mario Galaxy 2, his ability to roll his shell into a ball is practically a shoe-in for his Down Special, which frankly has lost its usefulness from Melee and hasn't been seen for decades.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
I would like for Bowser's side B move to stay as the body slam but have it tweaked to avoid people using it to get easy KO's.
As far as new moves for Bowser, I figured with M&L3 and Super Mario Galaxy 2, his ability to roll his shell into a ball is practically a shoe-in for his Down Special, which frankly has lost its usefulness from Melee and hasn't been seen for decades.
But hitting people off the screen with that move is so fun. :sadeyes:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, imo to make Bowser a little more viable for competitive play or slightly more serious contender in casual play, make him able to TANK. It makes no sence Snake or Kinde Dedede can live about 50% longer than the Great Koopa King. Overall, I do not think his moveset needs to be changed, but he definitely needs to be heavier. And maybe larger, so his moves have more range. I still hope Bowser remains the nr.1 heavy weight Brawler with the possoble additions of King K.Rool and Ridley.

D

Deleted member

I sort of agree with the notion that Bowser should be the start of a new weight class and character type alongside Ridley and K. Rool, all with slow, strong attacks with flinch resistant frames.

This is while DK is the forefront of the heavyweights again with Dedede, Snake, Charizard, etc.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I definitely like the idea of Bowser shooting off a fireball if you just tap his firebreath. It makes tons of sense, and that move has a pretty noticeable startlag so it's not like they'd have to slow it down or anything to make it work. If you tap it three times in a row he could pop off three of the slow moving fireballs... that seems really classic.

I was also gonna say that the chain chomp as a side-B would be fantastic. While you held down the button, he could continue swinging it above his head to build momentum and to damage approaching aerial foes, and when you let go he could release the chomp bouncing forward. It'd be great.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bowser should be the largest and heaviest character in the game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Bowser should be the largest and heaviest character in the game.
Ridley should be the largest.

But Bowser definitely should be the heaviest, with K.Rool close behind.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The one thing that was nerfed in Brawl was Bowser's sound effects. That buzzsaw sound on his Melee Whirling Fortress was leagues better than that "rocks in a Tupperware" sound Brawl's had. Same goes for his roar taunt.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Give invincibility frames to Bowser Bomb and greater AoE splash damage on impact to make him harder to juggle, add Super Armor to F-Smash, D-Smash, U-Smash and U-Air for brief parts of the animation. Lower the lag frames on tilt and the landing lag on D-air. I think that'd make him excellent.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this idea has been proposed before, but I think Bowser should be able to switch between his normal form and his dry form. This wouldn't be a problem because he was seen doing this in the final fight of New Super Mario Bros. for the DS. I think this change could be implemented in Smash giving him a Down B Transformation move or with a new Final Smash.

PS. Dry Bowser for SSB4!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The thing is that Bowser only became Dry Bowser after falling into a lava pit in the game, with coincidentally Bowser was actually the first boss in that game iirc. He's done the same thing in Mario 3D land as well, except he was not the first boss, but Dry Bowser did make an appearance later on

However, what Bowser needs is to feel like he's the heaviest in the game. I mean he's already a big and buff brute with a huge spiky shell and spike bracelets, yet D3 and Snake often live longer than him, most of it because of the better DI and recovery those those 2 have. I'd also love to see Bowser shoot fireballs if you tap B rather than hold it to give that Koopa some more variety.

Then comes the Final Smash. I'd rather that Giga Bowser would be gone while Bowser inherits his Koopa Klown Car or Flying Airship to drop plenty of bombs and fireballs on his opponents. That was the good old days that represents Bowser more.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't know if this idea has been proposed before, but I think Bowser should be able to switch between his normal form and his dry form. This wouldn't be a problem because he was seen doing this in the final fight of New Super Mario Bros. for the DS. I think this change could be implemented in Smash giving him a Down B Transformation move or with a new Final Smash.

PS. Dry Bowser for SSB4!
Um... Bowser can't turn into Dry Bowser without dying... He does not change at will.

Plus Dry Bowser is apparently another entity according to sports titles.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I suggest Dry Bowser as an alternate Final Smash. Basically Bowser pulls out a cauldron filled with lava and jumps into it, and turns into Dry Bowser. :laugh:

It would be hilarious.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I suggest Dry Bowser as an alternate Final Smash. Basically Bowser pulls out a cauldron filled with lava and jumps into it, and turns into Dry Bowser. :laugh:

It would be hilarious.
So basically make him turn into Dry Bowser when he gets sucked into Kirby's Final Smash. Soup de la Koopa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom