• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Stage Discussion ~ Week #20: Distant Planet

B!squick

Smash Master
The stage rocks, which makes recovery annoying sometimes. Other than that though it has 3 perfectly placed platforms to take advantage of your opponents.

EnragedMathlete

Smash Cadet
I usually take space animals here as a cp. Platforms vs falco make the match up far more manageable. The edge isn't too big of a deal. I managed to spike a falco with my getup attack when he was just under the edge. Good times =)

B!squick

Smash Master
Opening stage is like what would happen if Final D. and Battlefield had babies... sorta. The little platforms might as well not be there since there's less to exploit with them being smaller and whatnot... or at least looking smaller. Anyway. The stage changes allow for some entertainment and disrupt infinites, though you need to be careful of walls. Certainly better than PS2 with that stupid convyer belt area. >.>

Flayl

Smash Hero
Better than PS2, but still not that good for Bowser. The transformations hamper Bowser's movement, specially Earth (or is it Rock?) and Water. Wouldn't ever ban this stage though.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I don't mind the stage, it doesn't exactly hinder Bowser in any way.

There's always better stages though.

MrEh

Smash Hero
That's the sad truth of the matter. Bowser never performs very well on any of the counterpick stages. Norfair and Mansion were the only ones that helped him in certain matches, and those are banned in most places now.

Norfair was there to deal with people with nonexistant planking abilities. As well as people who rely on grabs.

Mansion was there to **** Toon Link. lol

B!squick

Smash Master
You can jump through the main platform. Or rather, multi jump and other aerial prone characters can attack Bowser's blind spot with ease. Acid means your opponent is forced to kill you either horizontally or off the top, both are easier said than done. Weird floor and "obstructions" makes for more all around lag for everyone. Generally banned, I'm sure.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
And this shall be revived, too. Since Brinstar only got one post for now, I think we can discuss it still.

Flayl

Smash Hero
It's Bowser's best stage against characters like Falco/Pikachu. Don't take any character that has good range in his aerials here. Don't fortress/DSmash on top of the organic "barrel" mound.

Characters with multiple jumps/R.O.B. can recover and hit you from beneath the main part of the stage.

This is probably Bowser's best choice against people that need to setup their approach, like IC's and Diddy Kong.

Acid hitstun is pretty good so try to take advantage of it with FAir/BAir.

This stage has a tight blast zone, so consider taking light characters here if their aerial approaches are average or worse. Even though Jigglypuff has multiple jumps the stage would still probably hurt her more than benefit her.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Delfino allows characters with good recoveries to attack you from beneath the main stage, which is irritating. The walkoff sections are of no help to boozer really, and just make his bad matchups worse. I wouldn't CP this, but it isn't my first ban either.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Lol Shinyspoon and LB really took what's to be said about this. It's not to great for Bowser, and I used to have problems sweetspotting that ledge, so I'd just fall through and die when trying to recover. Characters like Metaknight or ROB can hit you from underneath with upairs, shuttle loops and a bunch of other fancy stuff. It can be a pain but it is liveable. When Delfino changes into different sections, that's when Bowser's Grab Releases and Air Releases really become cool, because as LB said, if you're playing MK or any other character that is chaingrabbable (which is a lot of characters, frankly), depending on the stage leveling you can walkoff cg him or Air Release -> Fair for a pretty mean KO, lol.

OH BUT ONE MORE THING, I totally forgot lol. If you CP Delfino on D3, you're an idiot. You really are. Hell, even CP'ing Delfino in the first place is pretty odd. There are sections on the level where he can small step CG/Wall infinite you for a while, and since D3 has that DThrow -> DSmash it's pretty darn nasty. Basically, when you're on top of the Shine Sprite tower or the buildings, stay away from the corners if you're playing someone who has a DTilt lock or a chaingrab on you (D3, obviously). Lol, I just camp that section of the level and just stay on the other side of the area where my opponent is XD

This stage is also pretty interesting, given the fact that you can use that Bowsercide trick to actually SURVIVE the suicide. It was in one of Phiddlesticks' videos, and it looked pretty cool. The timing for that is really a pain though and unless you have it down/guaranteed it's pretty useless.

Delfino is a pretty bad stage for Bowser, and it'd be worse, granted a D3 cp's it on you but you can cope with it. I wouldn't waste your stage ban on it since there are probably worse stages you could be on/taken to, depending on your CP list.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Oh god <_< I knew this time would come where I got your names confused

ffffffffffffffffffffffffff D:, lol I'll fix my post, and both of you guys are awesome :D

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Ok For the first time im gonna try to help the bowser boards with my experience !! Since I played a lot on this stage.

Delfino- floating part

There is a lot forms and there is always platforms, and everybody knows how bowser is good with platforms. We have only to take advantage of them. Some characters can go under the stage and attack us but correct me if Im wrong but UpB Oos if the timing is done correctly can couter this? I did it a few times but I dont know if it was an error from my opponent that let me do it. Oh and some times if they dont space it correctly I use down smash. After few times they stop going under the stage.

Delfino- Island and the other part with water both side

The only thing I can say about this its u can do a grab + ground break near the end part of the island. The opponent will fall in the water. At this moment, u can do right after the ground break animation a DownB. Since ur opponent is in the water he wont be able to avoid the hit.

Delfino- the 2 parts with the walkoff cg

CG them out off the stage :)

Delfino- The three green pillars thing

If im not wrong the ceiling seems low since the pillars are really high in this part and bowser is good to kill upward. What I like the most is doing UpB Oos and going right after in the ledge. Also u can do the Down B sweetspotting the ledge trick and when the opponent is in the water bowser bomb is awesome too !

Delfino- Shine Sprite tower

Again here I think the ceiling is low on the top of the tower. Also the side part of the stage are short too. Fair, Bair, Ftilt, Dtilt, Back throw and jabs sometimes can kill easily near the ledge.

Delfino- In general

The bowsercide trick that bowser can survives is sexy when u are able to do it. There is several places in this stage that can allow u to do it. The timing is difficult but not impossible. When I tried it, Im able to success it 50% of the case. If ur able to do it, it can give u a big advantage and if u miss it it will be in most cases 0% with the same amount of lifes. I know the exact timing of when I can do it and I try to CG my opponent and using Bowser Klaw when I know Ill be able to do the bowsercide trick.

I dont CP this stage against D3 and yoshi cuz of the walfooff stage CG -_-
But I like to CP it sometimes against other characters when I feel it will be good :)

I hope I helped the bowser board in doing this ^^

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
To sum it up-

A 2/5

This stage can hurt you in several ways, and its only real bonus is a walkoff for your chaingrab, which will work against you most of the time. Don't strike this first, but don't CP it either. Its more neutral then some other stages, but its not bowser friendly.

B!squick

Smash Master
Nice small stage. First version lacks a ledge which you need to watch out for, other than that, it works well for Bowser. Camping is impossible and their's not much stage to get chain grabbed across. I find it favorable for CPing. It is, however, a pretty tall stage which is somewhat counter productive.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Frigate Orpheon is small, which means people cannot camp you, and the blastzones are high, so you will survive forever if they hit you up. Unfortunately, the first part of the stage lacks a ledge, and bowser with his crappy vertical recovery is doomed if they gimp him there. The flip can get you killed, never jump on the platform and allow them access to your blind spot below, it's a bad idea. The blastzones mean some of your best killing moves won't kill till higher, and the opponent can gimp you.

Overall I would recommend never CPing this stage in a serious match, a 2/5.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Bowser's best counterpick against Luigi, IMO. Luigi is a beast at vertical KO's, and this stage has the highest ceiling available. He also does really poorly at recovering diagonally, so if he's in the water below the left platform or further to the left he's pretty much dead. Bowser bombing is ridiculously safe and you can fortress from the side platforms to the main one with no additional lag. You can get the rare klap trap kill with firebreath if your opponent is unfortunate enough to be positioned below the main or the right platform.

I'm not entirely sure if it's plausible, but I've managed to get kills by klaw'ing opponents into the water and then footstooling them. If that's only because they were too slow, I can't be sure. Somebody should get a partner and test this.

While Bowser's recovery might be better than Luigi's for this particular stage, it's still pretty bad and if you're not careful you'll get ringed out by the water yourself. DO NOT take anybody that can camp Bowser with projectiles here.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
This is my music on Japes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWnoJhBNF8

Lol. Anyway, Flayl basically said most of what I said. I experimented with Japes and got some promising results. The stage is still very gay, but it's manageable. Just don't take characters with camping powers here. You'll regret it. A lot.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Japes is a neat stage, I like to go here against characters with bad vertical recovery/high fall speed or light characters.
But yea, as most people said, against projectile campers it's bad, and especially against Falco. That's his best stage.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I seriously don't like this this stage. I only use it against vertical killers (with the exception of falco). Other then that, the kritter and water make me want to avoid this stage against any other character. Its not bad, it actually has its uses, but my personal hatred of this stage keeps me from going here more often.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I'd say, in its neutral state, it plays the same as FD, in which it's on a teetering edge on whether it plays good or plays bad for Bowser.

With the added things to the stage, I'd say it is at a disadvantage for Bowser when they appear. It leaves his grab-release game out, there are no platforms for him to camp under, and the hazards are not good for someone his size.

If CP'ed, use a different character. Not a good choice for a Bowser in my opinion.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Except for the fact you can possibly infinite on some of the transformations (like the whale).

This is stage is imo 50/50 as far as good/bad goes. It's not bad.

Top Bottom