• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Stage Discussion ~ Week #20: Distant Planet

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Bowser's Official Stage Discussion Thread

Inspired by some other character boards, and a try to breathe some life into these boards.
Here we will talk about Bowser's performances on the tournament viable stages. We will discuss his advantages and disadvantages on the stage, and what hazards he exactly has to watch out for. Specific MUs with several characters on this stage should only be mentioned them if they're turning everything into Bowser's advantage or horrible stage+character combinations.
Post your thoughts on the stage we are discussing, and after we decided, I will create a summary of the discussion and give the stage a rating.

Here we have a list for all stages, I will cross off every stage which has been done from this list.

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Starter/Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter
Brinstar
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pirate Ship

Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

Counter/Banned
Distant Planet
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Melee/Pipes)
Norfair

Discussion Summaries

Week #1: Battlefield
This stage easily is one of Bowser's better starters. The small size make approaching or punishing easier, and powerful attacks will result in the enemy being gone sooner. The platforms are very helpful, especially due to the fact Up Tilt and Up Smash will go through the lower ones, and Up Air can easily penetrate the top one. Bowser has to take care, though, if being on the platforms himself (he has no proper way of attacking someone under him), and if below the lower platforms, as his hurtbox is going through them, but this is only a small problem that can be easily overcome. The platforms also allow the Klaw Drop, allowing Bowser a huge mobility through the three smaller platforms. The only thing you really want to avoid is playing against Snake here. Small stages with a lot of platforms will make it awful for Bowser as Snake will stuff it full with his explosives. Overall, though, Battlefield is definitely a good starter stage for the King of Koopas.

Week #2: Final Destination
Final Destination is a very situational stage for Bowser. It's one of the biggest stages allowed in tournament play. The ceiling, though, is average. The length of the stage profits chaingrabbers, so playing against Dedede on Final Destination is a bad idea, taking a victim of Bowser's Grab Release shenanigans here, though, is very good. Due to the stage's far away blast zones, Bowser should be able to survive long. Characters who have major advantages when playing on stages with platforms or want to control the stage can have disadvantages if taken here, prime example being Meta Knight. Klaw Hopping is very easy on this stage, and very useful. The lip can be helpful for stagespikes, but also be dangerous if you get careless. Overall one of Bowser's more neutral stages, and mostly matchup-dependant.

Week #3: Smashville
Smashville is one of Bowser's best starter stages. The size is perfect to prevent campers from taking overhand, and makes it easy for Bowser to land a KO. The moving platform allows Klaw Drop with a possible nice gimp, and it's generally easy to Klaw Hop on the main platform. The moving platform in general allows Bowser to gimp the hell out of his opponents and can help recovering, too. Bowser can even attack the enemy from below if they are on the platform. If in doubt, take Smashville.

...and it has the Balloon...

Week #4: Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Yoshi's Island is Bowser's worst neutral stage. Not that Bowser performs horribly bad on it, but rather because it doesn't help Bowser's game at all. The platform in the center absolutely prohibits using Klaw Hopping, and due to its size and constant moving it will hinder Bowser's possibilities to kill enemies from below with USmash or UTilt. Additionally to this, the ghost platforms to the side can save your opponent should the be recovering from your blow. Overall, Bowser's worst Neutral... try to avoid it if possible.

Week #5: Norfair

Norfair is a stage that can be very dangerous - both for Bowser and your opponent, as well. Generally said, the stage is a great place for Bowser, since the huge amount of ledges boost Bowser's mobility and recovery by much. It also allows Bowser to be in his most favourite position - below someone. The layout of Norfair allows Bowser to abuse moves going upward, and as we all know, those are his best. The size of the platforms also make it possible for Bowser to safely use grounded Fortresses and retreat quickly to a ledge thus cancelling off the cooldown. The stage hinders the use of his Grab Release, though. However, with all those upsides, there comes a huge downside to Norfair. Characters with spammable projectiles pretty much **** Bowser here, as well as Meta Knight - as this is one of his best stages. Try to avoid it, but it can be a very good stage against characters who prefer hand-to-hand combat.

Week #6: Luigi's Mansion

Luigi's Mansion has similar traits as Norfair - some characters do exceptionally well against Bowser, and others do very bad here. Generally, the mansion is a worse stage for Bowser than Norfair, though. The breakable pillars are giving Bowser a safe shield against projectiles, but lets Fire Breath through, making it an incredibly useful move on this stage. Additionally, the Fortress is a great move here, as well, due to its vertical knockback. However, as with Norfair, Luigi's Mansion has negative aspects, too. The high ceiling of the stage and the solid ceilings inside of the mansion make it hard for Bowser to land upwards kills. Generally, this stage is a bad counterpick choice, though... you might want to take another stage.

Week #7: Castle Siege

Since JayDeth summed it up very well, I simply quote him instead of making a writeup:
This stage has 3 faces: the small sized first version, the massive 2nd form, and the medium sized last form. Unlike the Wario Ware stage, this one has a rising floor to catch you between switches. You need to be careful when that floor leaves however, especially when it loops back from version 3 to version 1.

The opening look is very Battlefield-y only missing the high platform and the right side is raised a bit. This area just seems like it was built for Bowser; Small, couple platforms, a castle in the background (I wonder if it reminds him of home?). What's really neat is that this is one of the few stages where it's possible to recover from a Bowser-cide do to the rising floor I mentioned.

Speaking of, when that ground comes up it creates walk-offs which has good potential if you can get a grab in here, either normal or Klaw based.

The second stage is pretty massive, though the projectile stopping statues are quite comforting. Again we have walk-offs too, so despite the size, Bowser should do well here.

The last stage... basically it's Final D., only it tilts a la Lylat and has a bump in the middle, both of which make Klaw Hopping and Auto Cancelling more difficult than normal. Definately not as good as the first or second stage or even the between stages stage.

An odd and surprizingly good counter pick.

Week #8: Battleship Halberd

This is not much of a good stage for Bowser. The only thing he gains from here is the fact the stage has a low ceiling, making kills to above easier than usually. Be aware that the main platform of the floating part of this stage is not solid, so you perhaps will UpB through the platform instead of grabbing the ledge. Also, keep out from the hazards on the deck part of the stage. Try to avoid going here.

Week #9: Lylat Cruise

This is basically a worse version of Battlefield, at least for Bowser. You have several platforms you can take advantage of. The stage tilts, so it might make recovering a tad hard sometimes. Bowser does better on Battlefield, but go here if you play against characters with good projectile games like Falco or R.O.B..

Week #10: Pokémon Stadium 1

This stage is rather neutral for Bowser. The Windmill on the Water-part can be a bit annoying, and so can the walls that are on a few transformations. But in general, it's an okay stage that won't give Bowser too much trouble, though not benefitting him either. Just watch out for the ledges.

Week #11: Brinstar

Brinstar is a matchup-dependant stage for Bowser. Projectile-dependant characters like Falco or R.O.B. might be in trouble here due to the weird layout, wavy design of the stage and the membrane pillars used to shield projectiles, so it's the best to take them here. Light characters with mediocre aerial approaches are definitely a good choice to take her, as well. Due to the acid, KOs have to mainly go through horizontal or ceiling ways, which makes it hard to kill Bowser, but easy for him to score KOs. Watch out for characters with multiple jumps coming from below the main platform which can be passed through.

Week #12: Delfino Plaza

Delfino is probably one of the worse stages Bowser can be taken to. By no means it's awful, but it's definitely not beneficial. While the walkoffs or walls might help with grab releases, they can be used for chaingrabs on Bowser (loldedede). The floating section can be dangerous if characters with multiple jumps attack from below. Otherwise, the stage is okay. Differing blast zone-position might be awkward at times. Definitely not worth for counterpicking, but not awful to play on either, so don't waste your ban on it.

Week #13: Frigate Orpheon

Frigate's small size prevents camping characters from, well, camping you. Since it has a high ceiling, Bowser can live almost forever vertically, but horizontally, it might look worse - first part of the stage has no ledge to grab, and Bowser's vertical recovery is not particularly stellar. Other than that, watching out for the flip and staying below the platform are kinda mandatory. It's a good stage to take campers to if Brinstar is not available, otherwise, stay away from it.

Week #14: Jungle Japes

Many people loathe this stage because of the river and the klaptrap, but it's not that bad, actually. Characters with camping powers will utterly abuse you on it, so never take them there. However, lightweights like Kirby or vertical killers like Luigi, as well as characters with poor vertical or diagonal recovery can be taken here. The stage has the highest ceiling in the game, thus preventing from star KOs, and the river and klaptrap can screw up said worse recoveries. However, Bowser's recovery is one of those, so watch out for the river yourself.

Week #15: Pictochat

The stage in its original stage plays fairly similar to Final Destination. Some walls ease grab releasing (but also make chaingrabbing worse for Bowser, heh), a lot of the hazards can be very dangerous but also beneficial to some degree. Overall, not a bad stage for Bowser, but not a particularly good one either.

Week #16 & 17: Pirate Ship

This stage sucks for Bowser. The layout screw up grab releases. The platforms don't really help at all. The cannonballs can be dangerous due to Bowser's immense size, but you should be able to get around them. Watch out for the catapult, though. Due to the stage transforming now and then, some useful things might come up, for instance when it falls after the tornado, enabling you to survive a Bowsercide. The stage is rare to show up, but it's still a possible threat for Bowser, so keep out.

Week #18: Pokémon Stadium 2

Summary Later

Week #19: Rainbow Cruise

Summary Later

Week #20: Distant Planet - Current Discussion

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yea, but that thread you linked is more the indepth discussion on the performances in interaction with other characters. This thread here is supposed to be more like stating the advantages and disadvantages in more of a general form. ^_^

It's both similar as it both has stages featuring, but as said: It's more general - and a bit more indepth than "X can kill you easily" or "Y helps you gimping" :p

B!squick

Smash Master
Okay then, let's go over the basics.

Size: Small
-Perfect. The less running around Bowser has to do the better off he is.

Platforms?: Yes
-Awesome. The platforms act as a barrier from projectiles and aerials alike and Bowser kills best in an upwards direction, so the platforms act as serving platters.

What else?
-Probably Bowser's best neutral. Snake is one of the few characters you want to avoid here at all costs. C4, Claymores, and Grenades will SEVERELY limit your mobility which is really really bad against Snake.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Wow so boozer > snake on BF? that's pretty surprising lol.

Anytime anyone is on the platform, if you do a utilt or a upsmash (relatively a upsmash or charged) most people do get pushed off the platform and land on the ground giving you a quick opening in predicting a roll or a get up attack. Majority of the time, they will roll into my gimpy's fsmash lol :] that's just a random throw out.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Wow so boozer > snake on BF? that's pretty surprising lol.
No. JayDeath did say he isn't in advantage against Snake on BF ;P

So, yes. I'm mostly in agreement with JD. The stage is rather small, there are no too bad hazards and the platform help us to approach a foe. Snake is indeed worth a mention because he can and will give Bowser trouble a lot on this stage due to his tons of explosives all over the place. Considering the stage is rather small, it will be an easy thing for Snake to **** Bowser hard.

Anyway, the stage itself is grand. The lower platforms are easy to go through with USmash and UTilt, and approaching is easy even for Bowser here. He can hit the upper platform with his UAir, as well.

The only problem Bowser has is the fact that he can have a deadspot if the enemy goes below him while he's sitting on a platform. That can be overcome, though.

Probably one of Bowser's best Starters, if not his best.

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
A lot of the FD stuff is pretty evident for Bowser, but I'm just going to throw in that the stage lips can really hamper Bowser's off-stage game, especially when coming back from a big hit. I can't count the number of times I've gone for a near-stage Side B only to miss and plummet to my death due to the horrible stage lip. I hate that thing.

B!squick

Smash Master
Size: Medium
-Better than a large stage, but Onett is the only large stage you might see that's bigger. The ceiling is fine though, on par with Battlefeild.

Platforms?: No
-This is both a good and a bad thing, it depends on the match up. Marth and Snake have less of an advantage here, but for the most part, you'll want platforms. The nice open space is good for Klaw Hopping though.

What else?
-It's also a long stage. Chain grabs can rack up alot more damage here, which is bad against DeDeDe and Falco, but good if Bowser has a Grab Release -> Regrab chain against X character.

JOE!

Smash Hero
The lip is definatley a blessing and a curse

its great in that you can create a wall of flames to screw MKs and Pits who try to sneak their way under the stage

at the same time, it can gimp your fortress like no tomorro if you're not careful....

B!squick

Smash Master
at the same time, it can gimp your fortress like no tomorro if you're not careful....
This implys that you're recoverying low. You shouldn't be doing that unless you're spiked. The rest of the time, you should be DIing towards the upper corners of the blast zones to avoid recoverying low.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
I tend to stick with Battlefield and Smashville for starters. Klawhopping is fun to do here though I must say. But maybe it's just me but MK's don't seem AS tough (lol) here.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
One of his best stages. Canceling side b through the plat is very effective in edge guarding, and it's small boundaries make kos easy. Right next to BF in terms of Bowser Friendliness.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Smashville is good stuff. Seriously. I do so well on this stage. You won't be gayed by an edge [lookin' at you, FD], theres a MOVING platform to save you from things [camping promotion?] and as Gen said, cancelling sideB is God. One of the best stages: learn Smashville for benefits.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I love this stage. Good size for preventing camping and moving plat comes in soo handy (wither your on it or not).

-:bowser:Bowser King

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
Smashville is fun, the moving platform is fun, the ballon is fun. Is there anything else to be said?

Yes lol, I like the size of this stage for easier approach/escape. I'll admit that the moving platorm disrupts me but it isn't all that bad.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
You can side b cancel through the plat while its offstage to mix up your game or save your ***.

And I don't understand why Snake's c4 is such a problem; it's not like he yells out NAOOAOAOAOOO when he uses it I mean.

B!squick

Smash Master
It hurts. x_x And for some reason, I have trouble hearing it being placed sometimes. I think they know how to hide the sound effect beneath other sound effects. O.o

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Go to Smashville for one reason, the balloon. The balloon is god, pop it and enlightenment shall rain down upon you. And even if you technically "lose" the match you and everyone else knows you are the real winner for popping the almighty balloon.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Go to Smashville for one reason, the balloon. The balloon is god, pop it and enlightenment shall rain down upon you. And even if you technically "lose" the match you and everyone else knows you are the real winner for popping the almighty balloon.
^This. :laugh:

I prefer SV over FD since the ledges don't screw you up.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I've written up the summaries of FD and SV, as well as added the Klaw Drop stuff to BF. If anyone of you has objections due to me being dumb or if I've forgotten something, feel free to strangle me for a minute and then tell me what's wrong/missing.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
This stage is only fun if you want to be a **** and Boozercide your opponent from any part of the stage...The platform throws off any klawhopping as Gen said, so you have to stay grounded. Which is a pain against people like Wolf, TL, etc. That little rising thing also seems to save the enemy, but come out too slow when you really need it. >:(

B!squick

Smash Master
I don't mind this stage. It has a weird elongated platform that's unstuitable for attacking through since the enemy has room to move around. The ground is also mishapen and ackward. I don't think it's that bad of a stage, but it is bad in the sense that it doesn't help Bowser... at all. Though I think if you drop and jump fom the ledge fast enough you can Klaw Hop from the stage incline like you can on Pictochat.

Top Bottom