• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. Was Almost Cut From Smash 4

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Greninja moveset designed overnight by Sakurai's imagination from art works he got.
Palutena every custom is unique.
Pit get new moves.
Bowser get a huge revamp to his move set.
Zero suit get a huge revamp to her move set.
DK get his iconic roll dash
Etc.
Mega Man, Pac Man and Duck Hunt Dog get major love put into their move sets to really show their respective universes and canons.

And.... Ganondorf is still a clone with not one new move from brawl (customs don't count). How about some love for Ganondorf fans... Seriously the blatant disregard to make Ganondorf unique is astounding especially since Sakurai puts so much effort and love into some character while other get the shaft...
Can some one at Bandai Namco (or anyone else that works with Sakurai) tell him to change him already. Reading his awesome inspiration about Greninja's move set only pisses me off. Because Sakurai is so talented but keeps making the laziest choices on some characters.

Rant over sorry guys.
Just my 2 cents

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Patiently waiting for Isaac, K. Rool, and others. It's a crime that they aren't already in the game over garbage like Wii Fit Trainer, Dark Pit, and other "fan-favorites".
Unique movesets >>>>> fan wants. Always has, always will.

Clones, especially Dark Pit having literally only four different moves, were added in over having nothing. That, and Dark Pit and Lucina rank quite high on Japanese character polls, so they are indeed fan favorites.

the characters that don't have a new title coming up have an overwhelming disadvantage

captain falcon
Ice Climbers. And Issac.

Greninja moveset designed overnight by Sakurai's imagination from art works he got.
Palutena every custom is unique.
Pit get new moves.
Bowser get a huge revamp to his move set.
Zero suit get a huge revamp to her move set.
DK get his iconic roll dash
Etc.
Mega Man, Pac Man and Duck Hunt Dog get major love put into their move sets to really show their respective universes and canons.

And.... Ganondorf is still a clone with not one new move from brawl (customs don't count). How about some love for Ganondorf fans... Seriously the blatant disregard to make Ganondorf unique is astounding especially since Sakurai puts so much effort and love into some character while other get the shaft...
Can some one at Bandai Namco (or anyone else that works with Sakurai) tell him to change him already. Reading his awesome inspiration about Greninja's move set only pisses me off. Because Sakurai is so talented but keeps making the laziest choices on some characters.

Rant over sorry guys.
Just my 2 cents
Pit and Bowser were really just buffed. Palutena and Greninja had movesets created from scratch. Ganondorf had an existing moveset that fans themselves are divided on, but most importantly the fans who want his moveset to be "more accurate" want a total rehaul and would displease many of his current fans. Less work for the same amount of complaining to keep him how he was.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
I just hope Mewtwo DLC sells do extremely well and give Nintendo incentive to make other characters DLC like Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers and whoever else they were planning but had to cut thanks to development time or what have you.

Personally, I would love to see Advance Wars, Golden Sun, 1080/Wave Race and Custom Robo DLC anything...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I just hope Mewtwo DLC sells do extremely well and give Nintendo incentive to make other characters DLC like Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers and whoever else they were planning but had to cut thanks to development time or what have you.

Personally, I would love to see Advance Wars, Golden Sun, 1080/Wave Race and Custom Robo DLC anything...
Sakurai makes it sound like he'd rather quit working on the game then make Mewtwo and the extra online features. You're lucky to even be getting what's coming. Honestly, I don't think SSB4 will get any significant updates past the one coming this spring.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers. And Issac.
I wonder why Ice Climbers and Isaac has an overwhelming disadvantage just because they don't have an upcoming game, but Captain Falcon doesn't have that disadvantage.

Oh wait, original 12

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So glad junior made it in, mostly because I thought what they did with the koopalings as alt costumes was really unique.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Given how he mentioned that proposed characters sometimes came from unreleased games, I kind of wonder if the Splatoon gals (and guys) didn't make the cut. I was kind of hoping they'd make an appearance in Sm4sh with a hype building factor much like Marth and Roy in Smash Bros. Melee. Oh well, maybe we'll see my new favorite squid gal in Smash 5. (Or as DLC, if I'm insanely lucky!). Of course, there ARE characters I'd want over the Splatoon girls, but still, I wouldn't complain if they made it in. And I'm also glad Bowser Jr. got in as well, seeing as he's a secondary of mine!

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Sakurai makes it sound like he'd rather quit working on the game then make Mewtwo and the extra online features. You're lucky to even be getting what's coming. Honestly, I don't think SSB4 will get any significant updates past the one coming this spring.
I would like to think the community is fortunate to have a veteran return to the game, especially one has popular and important to the series it originates from.

Differences between us in the past aside, I see what you're talking about and get the same feeling; once he's released a game he pretty much wants to move on to the next title. Nothing inherently wrong with that but in this stage in gaming where online capability is so prevalent that kind of on to the next thinking is a little more than archaic.

Titles like Mario Kart, Pikmin 3, Fire Emblem, Pokemon X/Y and Hyrule Warriors give me confidence that Nintendo sees the potential of extending a video game's life through downloadable up dates and content and I truly believe fans of Smash will benefit a great deal if the powers that be consistently update to improve the game. I would hope Sakurai would want a part in that but if not, oh well.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Keybladeguy said:
"We won't say which ones of course"

Sakurai you douchebag
I dunno, that almost sounds noble to me. Maybe he didn't want to disappoint his fans. I know I'd be disappointed if he said "Oh yeah, K. Rool, Prof. Layton, and Bandana Dee were totally considered, but then I said "Lol nope.".

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
WHO ARE THESE MYSTERIOUS CHARACTERS THAT DIDN'T MAKE IT IN?!?!
Looks like we'll never know all of them, just like we still don't know how many licks it takes to get to a center of tootsie pop.
That was actually averaged to be 252 licks if focused on one side (though this is highly dependant on certain variables such as lick force, tongue size, and saliva amount/efficiency). :p

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
lol, I hate bowser jr. My co-worker mains him and he's such a pest. Can't say I would have been sad if he was cut but this sure is lucky and good for his fans. Sakurai really tries to fit what he can and that's good to read.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
The Mario cast would not be complete without Bowser Jr, so I'm glad he made it.
Really? I thought having the Mario Bros., Bowser, Rosalina and Luma, Peach, and DR. MARIO OF ALL PEOPLE!!! (and Yoshi if you want to count him since he's been in Mario games) was enough to complete the cast.

But yeah, Bowser Jr. was still a good addition.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I first hated that Bowser Jr. was put in this Smash game when the images were leaked. But I don't mind him because he's actually a unique character and so unlike his father, which is cool. Rosaluma on the other hand. I would have liked to have seen Waluigi take her place.

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
What a shame that the stupid ass character barely made it.

SilverThePony

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4055-4975-1398
Thank god he made it- he's been my favorite Mario character for some time, so as soon as I heard he'd be in Smash, I knew I'd main him. :)

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i would've prefer that we didn't get bowser jr, along with dr mario, but whatever...

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
So it takes 1 night to make Greninja and 5 months to make Mewtwo. Got it

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
So, more dlc perhaps? And yeah, I'm glad Bowser Jr. made it in too as he's also one of my favorites.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I dunno, that almost sounds noble to me. Maybe he didn't want to disappoint his fans. I know I'd be disappointed if he said "Oh yeah, K. Rool, Prof. Layton, and Bandana Dee were totally considered, but then I said "Lol nope.".
Hm. I have reason for this one. I'm currently the head of a project on Deviantart which is putting together a Smash fangame. Everyone that (we know) was even considered majorly (by name) is gonna be put in it. All Smash veterans, and more. So, naturally I'm curious.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I wish he didn't, and those Koopalings took his place.

I am not, and will never be excited for my one wanted realistic newcomer being bound by a playable Clown Car just so the Koopalings can shove their way into this game.

You're telling me having BJ in his current form is more of a tribute to his character than his own slot, on foot, with multiple palettes like everyone else? It's sad he has to share his spot with such sub-par characters. A BJ on foot with a paintbrush would've been so so so so so much better than the Clown Car. At least when he uses Up-B I can feel like I'm playing as him for a SECOND.

I'll just stop myself now before I get carried away again...

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm interested in the entire process of including characters into the roster. We might not think it but not only does it require actually incorporating the character into the smash universe but also including additional content (trophies, codecs, etc), romotion, and licensing. I recall an interview where Sakurai said that despite Mario belonging to Nintendo, the studio responsible for developing the Mario games had a say in how Mario would be represented in the game. In terms of properties from companies like Intellegent Designs or Game Freak, it must be very difficult. Likewise, I can't even imagine dealing with a 3rd party company.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Those are not the best example thought. Issac is from a niche game , he was even cut as an assist thropy meanwhile even Waluigi returned (lol) and K. Rool is forever in dust , and Nintendo pretty much made this clear after reviving the DK franchise without him. Wii Fit Trainer is Horrible but she comes from a game that literally Everybody and their grandma has played , and Dark Pit is a bonus (a bad one but still a Bonus) , so not really.
That's why they revived Dixie Kong and the Koopalings, right?

Believe it or not, some people want beloved Nintendo icons in the game, not just whatever Nintendo happens to be advertising at the time.

And the majority of people who buy Wii Fit aren't buying Smash Bros. At best, it's some parents buying it for their kids when all they want is Smash Bros.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Really? I thought having the Mario Bros., Bowser, Rosalina and Luma, Peach, and DR. MARIO OF ALL PEOPLE!!! (and Yoshi if you want to count him since he's been in Mario games) was enough to complete the cast.

But yeah, Bowser Jr. was still a good addition.
Rosalina & Luma, and Bowser Jr were both necessary to complete the Mario cast, in my opinion. Dr. Mario is just an extra that really should have just been an alt costume. If we only got Rosalina this game, I would have been supporting Bowser Jr next game.

Speaking of Rosalina, would love to know if she is mentioned in this interview. She is like, the only newcomer that Sakurai hasn't given us any background information on, regarding why she was included and all of that and how the process went. Considering she seems to be the most well received newcomer besides Mega Man and Pac-Man (out of all of Sakurai's Miiverse posts, the one where he posts Rosalina's reveal trailer is the second most "Yeah'd" post, first being the group shot of Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man), it's strange that he hasn't talked about her yet.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825

Yeah, Glad that the koopalings weren't cut aswell.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Everyone always say only Isaac, but there were other viable fighters who were in Brawl as assist and disappeared (Ray from Custom Robo, Jill from Drill Dozer).

About Bowser Junior, I still can't stand over the fact that his second jump is not the same as Peach's, it definitely should have been.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad they made the time for Bowser Jr.; I would have been upset if I found out that he was supposed to be in the game only to be cut.

I am just curious as to what other characters were on that list. I speculate that it has Wolf and Lucas and a couple of other characters.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
That is amazing....Bowser jr. almost cut and yet he gets 7 skins, And Daisy can't even be properly colored, let alone have her own skin.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Gotta make sure those important characters get in, like Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. Make sure our time and resources are put to good use.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I still don't get why we thank Sakurai so much. He's a ****ty dev that just comsins about his fan base and despises making his own games. He brags about how quickly he can make movesets and designs, but pumps out uninspired and homogenized movesets over and over. Half the cast has a counter. Straight clones are in the roster, with no effort to differentiate semi clones even further. Why does Toon Link still have the spin attack up b, when there is clear source material in the deku leave that would be interesting and unique? He spent a lot of time reimagining movesets for already unique characters (bowser, zss, shiek, etc) instead of attributing that time to characters like Toon link or ganon, who could use some love and a luigi treatment to get some flair that makes their characters more true to themselves.

Sakurai is a bass ackwards dev who hates his move endearing/dedicated fan base, and he conplains about time restraints and hard work, problems which could probably be addressed by giving the project to someone who actually wants to do it.

Top Bottom