• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser general discussion thread.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Ill try bowser in 2.6 right now and try to find out what youre referring to

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
I agree entirely with most of what you said, specially the fact that Bowser struggles at top-level play to actually go in, specially vs characters that can easily outspeed him and camp him out, or can punish any of his approaches heavily. Notable examples are Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon, Sheik.. among others. And i'm very glad that changes are being done in this perspective. Now that i think about it, Bowser's new crawl makes it very hard for the opponent to camp bowser out, and even to go on the offensive early on given how easily it can sponge things exept for grabs. Since i feel like some of his tilts have decreased endlag/IASA as well, i would elaborate on that, but i'll just wait for a changelist before making empty assumptions.

Supermik884

Smash Rookie
Thanks csmart for the all the explanation you gave us. But I think that his crouch armor is a little bit too good. For example, one of my friend tried using Meta Knight (he's a good player) against my Bowser. Crouching nullify almost all of MK's offensives tools. I almost felt bad for him :p. But of course we're not pro, so yeah...

And I'm really curious about this GIGANTIC change. Too bad I don't have the game since my Wii can't read Brawl anymore :( .

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Oh, something about his side b, you can charge it up or do it instantly

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
No difference in damage, i dont know if this is old or new

GeZ

Smash Lord
huh you're right. Weird. Don't see any application in this though unless there's some secret way to get him to do the bite part of Koopa Klaw.

MegaGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yung_Mega
3DS FC
5043-2216-2465
cmart, you're a cool gai. Glad you're in charge of the King of Koopas :bowser2:

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Hey yall. I go by Abeebo. First off I'd like to say I'm new to the forums and have been playing M since 2.0. My stay here has been thoroughly enjoyable as I've been learning quite a bit from you fine gentlemen. My thumbs and toe thumbs go out to the PMBR. Also, all the thanks to cmart, gimpyfish, and anyone else involved in Bowser's development. Probably my favorite heavyweight out of just about any fighting game I've played.

Speaking of bowser... 2.6 is gonna be a great year for him. I'm really digging the streamlined tilts and dash attack. Feels easier to full hop dair to a dtilt now. And that running grab is PHENOMENAL.

Considering these changes alone, I've been utilizing gallops (weird, right?) into my gameplay. Bowser's ddance is crap, but I feel galloping has its uses now. After working on my timing, I can actually create a small handful of options either approaching or defending. Once you can tie in your timing for shield, OOS options, jumping, crouching... I feel like it adds to my own mobility as bowser.

I wonder if anyone else has tried that.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
that "gallop" is called fox trotting and it's something that bowser had in melee that not very many people used - his dash dance isn't that bad compared to a lot of characters because he's so big

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Fox trot. Touche. I figured no one really uses it with bowser. Then again I never really see anyone trotting instead of ddancing. While it may or may not be useful to some, I feel Bowser's current move set can benefit from trotting if sprinkled in well. Keeps you moving. Looks kinda intimidating too, like a loose bull. Shell yea...

Then again I'm usually stuck with CPU training, so grain of salt, I guess. I thought I'd share whatever little info that works for me.

MegaGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yung_Mega
3DS FC
5043-2216-2465
Sweet, more Kooplings! A few questions for my fellow Boozer mains: Do you feel that the Flame Breath change has affected your usage of it? Do you think the spacies' Shine nerf alters the match-up(s) at all? How do you think Bowser fares in doubles on a scale of "omg pls stop hitting me guys" to "lol free kills all day"?

Wish there were more P:M tournies around me to break out the Bowser; I feel like I've hit a wall with CPU training. Even so, I'm still determined to become the best gigantic turtle I can be. (Maybe the best masked bat with a sword too.) Keep repping Bowser peeps!

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Sweet, more Kooplings! A few questions for my fellow Boozer mains: Do you feel that the Flame Breath change has affected your usage of it? Do you think the spacies' Shine nerf alters the match-up(s) at all? How do you think Bowser fares in doubles on a scale of "omg pls stop hitting me guys" to "lol free kills all day"?

Wish there were more P:M tournies around me to break out the Bowser; I feel like I've hit a wall with CPU training. Even so, I'm still determined to become the best gigantic turtle I can be. (Maybe the best masked bat with a sword too.) Keep repping Bowser peeps!
Haha. Kooplings. I like that. I, like you, have few options for training. The ONE person I have to legit practice with isn't always around and so-cal PM tourneys are too few and far, for and from me.

If I may pay my 2 cents regardless, then I'd say his flame is just as initially useful as before. It's definitely not the damage racker I used to know, but the spacing/poking applications are still there. I find myself tapping B as opposed to holding it down when I go to a flame cancel. Honestly, either version is fine for me. I'll make it work. I can't say anything about spacies or doubles though.

MegaGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yung_Mega
3DS FC
5043-2216-2465
how was flame breath changed?

how was shine nerfed?

i wanna see a 2.6 change list haha
Flame Breath diminishes significantly quicker.

Shine no longer has invulnerability.

Me too :p PMBR will deliver soon enough though!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
WOW they took away shine's invincibility?! ROFL dude that is such a huge nerf

it will no longer unfairly trade/clank/beat random stuff, which happened all the time in melee.

also i guess the flame breath doesn't affect me all that much, since i normally only flame breath in short spurts. maybe it makes it worse for edgeguarding, but then again bowser has much more powerful tools for edge guarding

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
For the most part, Flame Breath's duration was significantly reduced while the maximum length was slightly increased.

Changelog should be out sometime next week, I believe. We're all waiting, too. In time...

GeZ

Smash Lord
I think flame breath is better. Using it liberally (at length) usually ends poorly as it gives your opponent ample time to DI out and plan a counter attack. It's better for ****ing with recovery but in most situations Bowser has better tools for that. His dash attack change is awesome, his Bowser Bomb's new offensive capabilities are radical, the added speed to his tilts is sweet, the Fair change is (in my opinion) for the better, and all in all he feels like he keeps up more.

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
B-reversel with flame canceling ( not sure if the right name, you know, no startup lag for flame) is somewhat good

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Now that I've had more time messing with flame breath, I'm starting to want more out of it. Anyone else feeling that even a tiny bit? It doesn't quite have OOMPH anymore.

MegaGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yung_Mega
3DS FC
5043-2216-2465
I still really like using it as a poke. It's good in match-ups where your opponent is on the ground a lot. Any harass Bowser can get is a huge boon, especially since he's on the defensive so often.

Top Bottom