• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser general discussion thread.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
omfg i have to try this now. normal timing for dacus?

edit: yeah it's boss. too bad nobody will hear it in tournament

Last edited:

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Klaw ledge-stalling is nearly impossible and not safe. Landing a Klaw off-stage is risky whether it hits or not. The only off-stage use for it is to use it after a pop-up jump to punish up-B lag or a tether hop with a powerful back-throw right back off the stage, and that is a skill WELL worth learning for its utility against the likes of Captain Falcon, and Ivy.
This is all very true, except for the difficulty. I wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't consistent. Ive even tested it with other characters (although not all of them) that are just shy of teetering, and Klaw ledge grab can still be done again and again. I really don't suggest using it for anything other than very specific and familiar situations on specific and familiar stages where Klaw can grab ledge so you may retaliate with your ledge options. NEVER as a way to hit. Considering everyone is used to Bowser's specials being used for grabbing ledge, they may not react when they see a SH ledge klaw to bair or whatever. Or you can be a showoff like me. Thanks for the Kudos.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Yeah it's not nearly as difficult as it seems, especially not after practicing BS like Roy's DACUS, shield dropping, and perfect wavelands.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Also also also also I'm going to test with DI but if it works I'll share the sexiest thing ever.

Edit: THE DREAM IS DEAD

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

btw shield dropping is more important for bowser than basically the rest of the cast combined

it's like a 1-frame jump, which he really really needs.

Also, you can dropbair :D

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
So I was testing something but it's really not worth noting.

Something probs already known but Uthrow chaingrabs on spacies is neat.

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
Something probs already known but Uthrow chaingrabs on spacies is neat.
They can get out with good DI, or at least Fox can, though a fair/nair followup always works still. I don't even usually bother grabbing them with Bowser because it's rarely safe thanks to Shine; I just use crouch armor and reach to punish and space to get them over the edge as quickly as possible, at which point they should be dead because their recovery is predictable and easy to gimp.

Frost | Odds

Grab can be good; it's a better punish than upB for really sloppy stuff that ends up in your shield, and the range on dashgrab is pretty real for techchases and on people who expect a dash attack.

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Uthrow can have decent follow ups on all fast fallers. When that stops working, I just stick to the easy 20%+ from pummel(s) to Dthrow.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I really do want to learn shield dropping but I don't think there is anything more annoying than trying to learn it..

there is 0 feedback as to how close you are to getting it.

At least with things like double aerials its nearly always "you weren't fast enough" but with shield dropping... you have no clue.

Too fast? Too slow? Didn't put the stick down enough? Put the stick too far? Only 1 of those is shown, doing it too far.

It just irritates me to no end getting 3/4 tries where I either spotdodge or just put my shield lower and then I have to wait while I break my shield..

Jacob29

Smash Ace
too fast

too slow
Yes, but I have no idea how far away from it I was.

It's really hard to distinguish whether I was too slow, or not far enough down with my stick.

I get this isn't even really relevant to Bowser it was just annoying me at the time as I really couldn't get the timing down and still can't.

Last edited:

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Maybe learning the Isai drop (I think) will help. On platform, just dash into shield and then lightly angle downwards until you drop.

Frost | Odds

I seem to get the best results by gently pushing it down at a 45* angle, then sliding it to the bottom. That's probably needlessly convoluted, though, and the Axe method does work.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I heard the side-tilt method doesn't work too well in PM though?

Whenever I tried to search for PM and Shield Dropping I would always see threads of people saying it felt different and that, that method wasn't consistent.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
Hey. I recently began relearning Smash after dropping it for traditional fighters due to being disappointed with Brawl.

Project M is very fun, and Bowser is hella fun. Bullying around, crawling through zoning, abusing armor, the klaw... He's just a blast.

But I have a weak area with something that's supposed to be a key strength of his and was wondering if anyone would break down at length Learning to Edge Guard with Bowser?

I've literally seen it mentioned that the topic of edgeguarding with the King of Koopas deserves its own thread but there actually isn't one.

I've seen some scattered information, but just little things. Like fortress hogging is mentioned, but I didn't see what it was or how to apply it. I can guess, but it'd be nice to have experienced insight on all his edge guard options. I know that's asking a lot, though.

Also hi! I'm Prof.

Rags

Smash Ace
Well what I've had experience with is that downtilt works for guarding but it's strict on timing. If you can time it right, Marth's can't get the ledge and it'll knock away anyone going for it. So stay that distance from the ledge about. If the start rolling, you can side B behind you or flame cancel OR charge a f smash to catch the roll. If they jump a fair will knock them back a good ways. Also I'm not sure I you can, but I you can manage to get them to wait, you can hop off and nair over the edge for a stage spike. Really, you're extremely dominant when the opponent is off stage. It's like the reverse of when they're on stage. A lot of your damage will come from your opposed trying to come back on stage and getting punished.

Rags

Smash Ace
Feel free to correct me if my information is wrong BTW.

I'm also messing around with a falling nair just at the edge for a edgegaurd for characters like Gannon, falcon, and sonic.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Don't forget Down-B. Down-b is ****ing amazing for edgeguarding. DAT BOOTY

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Well, if you took Sm4sh Bowser's nair, it would make PM Bowser way more useful for spacing out players.

His jabs would be faster if they were from Sm4sh, making combos come out easier.

His F-Smash would be way faster and actually be useful for something that's not a hard read. It would still be slow to start up, but faster than the headbutt.

And his Smash 4 flame breath would be useful it still depleted the same rate as the current flame breath, because it has a much larger hitbox(at least from the looks of it).

Those are the main things I think would be useful to Bowser in P:M from Smash 4.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I love Boozers current Nair and want to keep it so *bias*
I also think his current Fsmash is way cooler so *bias*
But I'd be down for flamebreath, though I would think they'd shy away from making it akin to Smash 4 instead of just a change to make it better. It's a fine line they walk right now.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I think current fsmash is dumb as hell, and ftilt is all but strictly better, but I seem to be alone in that opinion =[
But what about those tasty ass hard reads where you Dthrow > dash forward up to them > Fsmash behind you?
If it works they have to suck your ****.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
But Bowser's current Forward Smash punishes some characters' perfect spacing. Like Marth/Ike Forward Air and Marth's Forward Smash. lol

That lean-back is such a sick dodge...XD

I do agree with the fire breath. Smash 4 Fire Breath is boss as ****. Covers SO much area compared to Melee/Brawl/PM. It's almost like a real projectile in that game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

New bowser is lame. Hugely disappointed.

Edit: smash 4 bowser
Are you talking in comparison to Project M Bowser? Have you played him in Smash 4?

Trust me....he's good. If you have any doubts, go check out grand finals, and a lot of the matches of the SDCC tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Are you talking in comparison to Project M Bowser? Have you played him in Smash 4?

Trust me....he's good. If you have any doubts, go check out grand finals, and a lot of the matches of the SDCC tournament.
Even if he's good his design is butts. There are enough goofy characters, they didn't need to change Bowser into another one.

D

Deleted member

Even if he's good his design is butts. There are enough goofy characters, they didn't need to change Bowser into another one.
True...I'm gonna miss Bowser's muscles. He was hot. :(

Oh well, he still is a handsome fella.

Top Bottom