• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boredom in school= random sketches

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Was bored so I just felt like showing you what I can do.

Update 7/8/10: A lot of sonic sketches so far, will scan some more of my sketches later today.

(ugh I hate how high I've made his arms on this one.)

(Lol don't laugh at my comic. this is from the 7th grade =D)

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
These are really well done O__O
I like the different levels of shading you put into your lines. Very clean and very nice!!

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
sonic and falco are my favs. I really wish i could draw but I just dont have the talent. Keep it up man!

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
@ Chrono: Thanks, glad you like my style =)

@ Dino: Thanks. I just wish I can draw like this more consistently. There's been more times where I can't draw what I want, and it takes me alot longer to draw things than normally. Wish there was a way for me to get around that.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Man what fun sketches. I love the Timmy one, nice use of expressions

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Actually, some of my absolute best drawings came from boredom in school.
Yeah, I realized I've made some of my best stuff when I was bored out of my mind in classes. Sadly, people were low enough to actually steal my work like this Roc Lee and Neji sketch including my old flip book animations =(

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Sadly, people were low enough to actually steal my work like this Roc Lee and Neji sketch including my old flip book animations =(
Dang, are you serious? :\

I think over half of my good sketches have come from not paying attention during lectures. I dunno why but I draw much better stuff when I'm distracted, or supposed to be doing something else like homework or a lecture. When I sit down and think "OK! Time to sketch!" I either can't think of anything good, or I draw something I end up hating later.

I dunno why that is.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's not all either. I remember back in middle school where I drew this stick figure obstacle course in my notebook, and my teacher caught me drawing instead of some lab thing (even though I was already done), so she took it away from me and said that she would give it back if I told my parents what I've done, or wait til the end of the year, of course I wait til the end of the year, and turns out she lost it. Now I just throw my sketches anywhere now =/

But the distraction issue is me all over lol. For some reason, I become a perfectionist at home, and erase every 5 seconds which makes me hate the art later on, unlike in school where I would rather draw then hear my teacher ramble on for 80 mins about nothing.

also, since I have an audience, I show off a little and I'm just more into my sketch.

Neon Ness

But the distraction issue is me all over lol. For some reason, I become a perfectionist at home, and erase every 5 seconds which makes me hate the art later on, unlike in school where I would rather draw then hear my teacher ramble on for 80 mins about nothing.

also, since I have an audience, I show off a little and I'm just more into my sketch.
Lol that's tooo weird, I erase alot too when I'm like in my room or something, for some reason I want it to be perfect. I don't really like when people watch while I skecth though. Makes me nervous... I mostly keep my skecthbook private.

But yeah man, you should update this thread with more stuff. =) I know school's out but if you ever have more stuff to show off feel free to add them to the first post.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
@Neon Ness: Yeah, I used to be the same way when I was younger, because they would say "Oh you've messed up here", pointing all over my drawing, and even if I didn't mess up in one area, I'd get paranoid and erase a good line and make it worse for some reason. Now I just like the criticism and like how everyone's expression is when I draw something decent. It just keeps me more motivated.

@kishiru: Thank you =), I've added more sketches in the 1st post and plan on showing more later if you care to see them.

Neon Ness

Any1 wanna see StriCNYN3 make an animated like this 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3cFn6NneHA

2 bad. He's lazy.
I think I like Sonic Boom better though...

Now that you bring it up his Sonic drawings do look like they're based off of Sonic CD's animation, which isn't a bad thing. The coloring is really even and I'm a fan of the thick dark outer lines. Only thing is I might cleanup the inside lines a little, but overall they look pretty good. I want to see more colored ones lol.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Lol I forgot I even made this thread. I guess ill put in a little more (unfinished) sketches.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
and yea, I was just experimenting some things with her hair. Trying to get better at it.

mzink*

Smash Ace
Haha yea the skydiving one is pretty cool. Love her facial expression.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Unfinished sketch of sonic and tails. Was going to base it off of that Marble Garden zone Boss =) Probably will finish it later this week... if I feel like it =/

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Wow! I'm so glad I found this thread. I love your drawings Stric! Your Sonic's expressions are so awesome. :)

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Crismas. Glad you like them :).

I keep forgetting I have this thread. I'm gonna whip up some more stuff later on =)

Neon Ness

More Sonic stuff plz.

I'm having a bit of Sega Genesis nostalgia at the moment in case it wasn't fairly apparent :laugh: Seeing that Marble Garden sketch of Sonic and Tails kind of made my day.

Reminds me of when my older sister and I would play S3&K, and I would always mess up and drop Sonic during that boss fight lol.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man :)

Sure i'll draw some more Sonic stuff. It'll give me an excuse to finish that marble garden sketch too

Neon Ness

Nice, I see you're getting into some realistic stuff as well. The girl's nose looks like it's turned a bit too far to one side. But I like everything else. I think it'd look even better with color though. :cool:

First sketch looks like it could be a Megaman villain. Or maybe it actually is lol. The knuckles are especially good on that one.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Ha, thanks Neon.

Nah, I actually hate doing realistic art, it's too boring compared to making up your own art =P

To tell you the truth, I really rushed that realistic pic because it was a homework assignment and I started and finished it at least an hour or 2 before class. Thanks for the critique though =). The nose and the eyes are still bothering me.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I like to newer stuff.

Tell me those are characters you, yourself, have made.

I had a beef with your previous drawings only because it seemed, for sonic at least, you were eyeing the comic books (around STH #30-60) as well as the animated movie from japan. Plus some of the others such as your drawing of Zero from the MMZ series.

But that's good for practice. I don't know if I would have posted tracings, myself, but that's a personal issue.

But yeah, the girl and robot I been liking.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
No Zio, every thing that I draw is all free hand and none of the drawings here posted (or ANY of my art) are traced whatsoever. You wouldn't catch me dead tracing a picture lol, which is why I hate doing realistic art =P.

For Sonic, I just love the "Sonic CD" design best and that used to heavily influence my own take in drawing him as you can see in my older pics, not so much any more, though.
The little comic of Sonic however, I did use a Sonic Comic for some references since I had a waaay harder time at getting poses the way I wanted them before, though lol. Like I said, I was only like 12-13 years old at the time making that, and during that time I was just getting out of the whole " drawing DBZ and other animes from TV and magazines" phase. Even then I've never flat out traced a picture, ever. =)

Edit:
The Zero pic isn't traced either.
I just want to know, how come you think I traced these? You wouldn't find these anywhere else lol.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
TRACED was only the word I used. It didn't fit the definition. I also said eyed.

As in watched an example and tried to make what you drew look like what you see. No different than painters observing a bowl of fruit and putting it down on their canvas.

Don't take insult to it. It's a step to improving yourself. The good thing NOW is that you aren't drawing others works, but making your own. And to me, that draws my eye.

Top Bottom