• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman for SSBB?

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
bomberman is on the xbox 360 so it might not make it
Yes, he has. And like Ippius said, it sucked. I dont even count that as one of his games.
Also, Sonic has been on the PSP, PS2, etc. Megaman has appeared on the PSP. Both of those might not make it too, by your standards.

@DJ Napps

by two-sequences i meant. B to lay the down and then forward+B to kick it. but now that i think of it, that doesnt seem to hard to do on a controller while keeping pace with the action. so foget what i said earlier. on and apart from the kicking bombs and laying bombs, which moves are from bomberman games?
There's alot of Bomberman bomberman could have. Ill try to list the majority i know...
Drop Bomb
Bomb Kick
Bomb Punch
Pump Bomb
Jump (w/ flip)
Bomber Jetpack
Bomber Copter
Elemental Bombs
Bomber Submarine-thingy
Ride on Pommy (kangaroo like pet)
Timed Bombs
Use the Virus
Bomb Throw (fast and hard)
Bomb Jump (bounces off his own bomb)

I know theres more but im running a blank. Most of those are from Bomberman 64 and Bomberman Hero.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Bomberman Act Zero on the 360 phails in so many ways. He hasn't changed his TV-head shaped look since his very first game on the NES. I've been away from here far too long...

Along the road, I made a moveset that better compliments the games he was in during his N64 era.

A- right jab
AA- left hook

A dash- dives headfirst
Up A- swings hand in air
Side A- Kick (like kicking his bomb)
Down A- sweeping kick (but only one side)

Up Smash- Brings gigantic head back and swings forcefully
Down Smash- Kneels with a bomb in each hand facing both directions. Slowly grow bigger when charged (just for show), and let a small explosion. Gotta keep it small or it may seem unfair.
Side Smash- Holds a single bomb in front and explodes in place. Charging will also make it expand.

N Air- Does a quick 1080, sticking out hands and feet
F Air- Holds bomb in hand that explodes quickly. The explosion keeps the enemy in place, doing a bunch of low-power damage in the flames (kinda like Samus' up smash, f air)
B Air- Same as F air, but not facing the enemy
U Air- Swings giant head upwards
D Air- Raises feet and stomps down for a meteor smash

B - Fire Bomb: Puts a normal bomb on the floor at his feet. It's half the power of a normal bomb, (but stronger than Link's) only 1 at a time, and anybody is able to pick it up. Can be kicked if Bomberman presses B again.

Down B- Earth Bomb: When on ground, this bomb gets planted into the ground, and the resulting explosion causes stalagmites to raise around him. From the air, the bomb explodes under Bomberman, and sharp stalagmites point in every direction for a moment.

Up B- Wind Bomb: Bomberman holds a wind bomb under him, stomps on it once, and the resulting explosion sends him in whatever direction he chooses. Players near the bomb explosion don't get hurt, but gets pushed away by the wind. The thrust movement from Bomberman however, can damage you.

Side B- Lightning Bomb: Chucks a bomb of lightning that zaps anyone it touches. The resulting explosion that happens when it hits something can shock you if you run into it. Hold the B button to make it fly farther.

Super Smash Attack- Cherry Bomb: Bomberman pulls out the strongest bomb known to man, a fully-charged red bomb, throws it in the air, and when it lands, a huge explosion of blue fire ensues.

Grabs:
A- HEADBUTT!
Forward- Kicks enemy forward and throws a nicely-aimed bomb.
Back- Does suplex, sending enemy back. No, no bombs.
Up- Throws bomb in the air, then throws enemy into it.
Down- Puts enemies' face to floor, gives them a short-fuse bomb, and jumps away. Bomb goes boom.

Taunt- Does little spin-dance thing, like when he completed a stage in Bomberman 64.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think that Bomberman's chances are better than most people realize. Bomberman might even be more likely than Megaman, even though more people probably want Megaman.

Del Money

Smash Champion
I think that Bomberman's chances are better than most people realize. Bomberman might even be more likely than Megaman, even though more people probably want Megaman.
i agree with freeman123...you cant ever overlook the name "Bomberman" in the gaming world. nor can you overlook "Sonic" or "Megaman". honestly i didnt know who the **** "Geno" was til coming to these boards so im not sure how hes such a popular choice for brawl (or why DJ Napps thinks hes more popular/has greater brawl chances than Megaman which im hoping he'll explain soon). maybe it has to do with the fact that Sonic, Megaman, and Bomberman have their names as part of their game titles thus making them stick out more, but these three have had long running franchises. Sonic, Megaman, and Bomberman have to be 3 of the most legendary video game icons of all time. putting Bomberman at what i refer to as "low-tier of brawl priority" seems to be ignorant at best

Joe Soup

Smash Ace
Mastering the mysterious art of Quantum Edge Physi
Bomberman has definetely had more 'Tendo crossovers than the likely candidates running against him. Hudson and Nintendo are practically bed-buddies right now, with Hudson dev'ing the Mario Party series (don't mind the analogy, lol :dizzy:).

Edit: Del Money's post was ca$h money. Oh God, such bad puns....

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I still don't think he'll be in. Sakurai said 2-3 3rd parties, and I don't think that Bman is in the top 3...or even 5. But, I can tell I'm the odd man out of the five people here.

Joe Soup

Smash Ace
I still don't think he'll be in. Sakurai said 2-3 3rd parties, and I don't think that Bman is in the top 3...or even 5. But, I can tell I'm the odd man out of the five people here.
Lol...if you don't think Hudson is at least the top 5 3rd-party picks, then who do you think is? Namco? Midway? Sony? Anyone besides Hudson would be a joke. Capcom, SEGA, and Hudson are the only obvious choices, besides Konami, which is already involved.

However, if Sakurai did say 2-3 3rd parties, than Sonic and Megaman probably take priority over Hudson....

Del Money

Smash Champion
Bomberman has definetely had more 'Tendo crossovers than the likely candidates running against him. Hudson and Nintendo are practically bed-buddies right now, with Hudson dev'ing the Mario Party series (don't mind the analogy, lol :dizzy:).

Edit: Del Money's post was ca$h money. Oh God, such bad puns....
damm them puns yo...lol. but yeah Bomberman is definitely up there with regards to priority for brawl without a doubt
no youre not the odd one out. i agree and also always thought Bomberman never had a chance for 3rd party with those additional max of 2 3rd party slots (excluding Snake) being taken by powerhouses like Sonic and Megaman. and i know i was indirectly imply that Bomberman was in the top 3 but i definitely believe his to be at least in the top 5. Geno might have priority over Bomberman even though i dont understand why (lol...i was about to say "how the hell can a character get so popular from one video game?" but then i turned my head and got a glimpse of my FF7 for PC game box, so i chose to bite my tongue). i also disagreed mainly with your earlier idea that Tails and Knuckles were much more likely candidates. as much as Knuckles is and always will be my favorite, both him and Tails seem to just be known by association with Sonic and also, theyve been reduced to (pardon my French) ***** roles in the more recent Sonic games. i just dont see any logical way they take dominance over Bomberman

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I didn't say what I would and would not rather have. I said what was more likely. Sakurai freakin' put in Snake only because a friend of his begged him to. Nintendo is going push 3rd parties that they have close ties to, and they have closer ties with Namco than Hudson.

Joe Soup

Smash Ace
That may be, but Pac Man in Brawl is utterly ridiculous. I can't even take you serious for saying that and actually considering Sakuria might put him in Super Smash Bros. instead of the other three candidates who, despite your argument, are still more likely than anything Namco has.

And I would guess Hudson over Namco as the last third party participant anyday.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
You can't take me seriously for telling you the truth? Well, I'm sorry to hear that. Hudson has less of a chance than Namco, but honestly, neither will be in; so what does it matter?

And anyway, I find it utterly ridiculous to see any third parties in here, but since they are putting them in...put in the main ones and that's it. Bomberman doesn't fit the bill here. If had read what I said in earlier posts, I like Bomberman; I play his games, but he's just not going to make it, plain and simple.

Del Money

Smash Champion
That may be, but Pac Man in Brawl is utterly ridiculous. I can't even take you serious for saying that and actually considering Sakuria might put him in Super Smash Bros. instead of the other three candidates who, despite your argument, are still more likely than anything Namco has.

And I would guess Hudson over Namco as the last third party participant anyday.
Pac-Man for brawl is honestly ridiculous beyond belief, especially if they adhere to the retro-style and DONT give him arms or legs. his moveset would have to come from PacWorld 3D or something and also a pacman moveset might very well be next to impossible to move
You can't take me seriously for telling you the truth? Well, I'm sorry to hear that. Hudson has less of a chance than Namco, but honestly, neither will be in; so what does it matter?
possibly. but im not sure if you view Bomberman as unlikely because of popularity sake? or because of good movesets?
And anyway, I find it utterly ridiculous to see any third parties in here, but since they are putting them in...put in the main ones and that's it. Bomberman doesn't fit the bill here. If had read what I said in earlier posts, I like Bomberman; I play his games, but he's just not going to make it, plain and simple.
if 3rd parties (like a very small number of them) could be ATs, would you rule that fate possible for Bomberman?

Joe Soup

Smash Ace
Grim Lizard, you're probably right in this case, but the whole point of my last post was that he had a better chance at getting in than Pac Man, no matter the company ties.

For anyone else interested, I came up with a quick moveset for the ol' Bomber. :)

1st A: Right Jab
2nd A: Left Jab
3rd A: Roundhouse

>-A: High Kick
V-A: Spin Sweep (Mario-esque)
^-A: Upward Head Butt (Mario-esque again)

B: Remote Bomb (pretty self-explanatory—B to lay, B again to detonate; has a large attack radius + fire damage)

V-B: Pulls out Bomb (like Link, Peach, etc., press A to throw)
Once a bomb has been pulled, it is able to be charged by holding down the B button, slightly reminiscent of Samus’s Charge Shot.

>-B: Line Bomb (a projectile-ish attack, where he fires a line of bombs horizontally, and they eventually drop to the floor a ways in front of him.

^-B: Sword Uppercut (shoryuken-esque move from B64).

I'm not sure I'm happy with B-forward, so if anyone else has a better idea....

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Pac-Man for brawl is honestly ridiculous beyond belief, especially if they adhere to the retro-style and DONT give him arms or legs. his moveset would have to come from PacWorld 3D or something and also a pacman moveset might very well be next to impossible to move
Sorry, but that's sort of hypocritical of you...you who was saying they could give Bomberman (a man who only throws bombs) a decent A-moveset. Sorry, but they really can give a moveset to anyone they want. My point is that I really don't think Bman or Pman will be in the Brawl scene.

possibly. but im not sure if you view Bomberman as unlikely because of popularity sake? or because of good movesets?
Both to some degree. The popularity thing doesn't help him, but the fact that all he has going for him are different types of bombs...I really don't see him as viable.

if 3rd parties (like a very small number of them) could be ATs, would you rule that fate possible for Bomberman?
Other people have made this argument before, but...I really doubt they are going to go through all of the licensing stuff for a company just to have an AT. I wouldn't be opposed to it at all. I wouldn't be opposed to anyone being a character because I trust Sakurai's judgement. My whole point in all of this is likelihood. I just don't see him being a PC as likely, and I really don't see companies who don't have a PC having any ATs as likely either.

Del Money

Smash Champion
yeah that forward+B is a little iffy. we had all suggested eariler that perhaps the forward+B could be a strong kick primarily used for kicking prelayed bombs (from the B move). other than that it looks like. in fact i kinda like the down+B here better than the one that was 1 or 2 pages ago

Joe Soup

Smash Ace
yeah that forward+B is a little iffy. we had all suggested eariler that perhaps the forward+B could be a strong kick primarily used for kicking prelayed bombs (from the B move). other than that it looks like. in fact i kinda like the down+B here better than the one that was 1 or 2 pages ago
Thanks. The kick thing isn't a bad idea--it's just I don't see it as being practical. Why use up a whole B-move for something that could be accomplished by simply throwing it in the first place?

I think we have a dilemma. Where's all the other Bomberman fans? This thread is a lot smaller than the Megaman / Sonic threads.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Because there is a thread here at the top of all the threads, and I'm voicing my opinion. I'm sorry, is that not allowed?

And please refrain from taking the Lord's name in vain. There really is no need for that.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Sorry, but that's sort of hypocritical of you...you who was saying they could give Bomberman (a man who only throws bombs) a decent A-moveset. Sorry, but they really can give a moveset to anyone they want.
i still dont see the hypocrisy...Pacman cant attack enemies period without large dots as his crutch (Pacworld may prove this whole paragraph wrong however as ive never played it). Pacman's signature move is eating dots (dots which are harmless to him)...Bomberman's sig moves are kicking, laying, and throwing bombs at enemies (enemies which ARE harmful to him)
My point is that I really don't think Bman or Pman will be in the Brawl scene.
me too, its not likely at all. i just dont think its nearly as impossible as you think
Both to some degree. The popularity thing doesn't help him, but the fact that all he has going for him are different types of bombs...I really don't see him as viable.
i honestly only see the moveset as standing in his way. the popularity seems to be a big help.
Other people have made this argument before, but...I really doubt they are going to go through all of the licensing stuff for a company just to have an AT. I wouldn't be opposed to it at all. I wouldn't be opposed to anyone being a character because I trust Sakurai's judgement. My whole point in all of this is likelihood. I just don't see him being a PC as likely, and I really don't see companies who don't have a PC having any ATs as likely either.
true but konami owns hudson, so then the whole "buying-in-bulk" theory comes into play. i honestly dont think it would be too costly for nintendo to put Bomberman as an AT (relative to other 3rd parties anyways)
I think we have a dilemma. Where's all the other Bomberman fans? This thread is a lot smaller than the Megaman / Sonic threads.
well this thread is barely at 31 pages. they just may not be much support for bomberman on these boards (although these boards are only a small fraction of brawl-anxious fans out there so im not holding it too high with regards to credibility, though it beats NSider by a long shot)

the grim lizard

Smash Master
true but konami owns hudson, so then the whole "buying-in-bulk" theory comes into play. i honestly dont think it would be too costly for nintendo to put Bomberman as an AT (relative to other 3rd parties anyways)
I didn't know that. Well, I would have no problem with that, and I actually think it would be very cool. Anyway, I can't wait for whatever Sakurai has in store. (I've enjoyed almost every update he's had.)

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
D@mn, this post was practically dead for a day, then exploded within an hour.

i agree with freeman123...you cant ever overlook the name "Bomberman" in the gaming world. nor can you overlook "Sonic" or "Megaman". honestly i didnt know who the **** "Geno" was til coming to these boards so im not sure how hes such a popular choice for brawl (or why DJ Napps thinks hes more popular/has greater brawl chances than Megaman which im hoping he'll explain soon). maybe it has to do with the fact that Sonic, Megaman, and Bomberman have their names as part of their game titles thus making them stick out more, but these three have had long running franchises. Sonic, Megaman, and Bomberman have to be 3 of the most legendary video game icons of all time. putting Bomberman at what i refer to as "low-tier of brawl priority" seems to be ignorant at best
Here i am! I'm like u in the sense that i didnt kno who Geno was until i came here. I researched him a while back and realized he was very likely choice. He was in a past Mario game, which is more that can be said for other 3rd parties (excluding Pacman [Bomberman was in a Wario game] {Sonic is in an upcoming game}). Dont get it twisted, im not a Geno fan, but ALOT of people (especially around here) are.

umm...Namco? Hello...they're more buddy buddy with Nintendo than Hudson...
I didn't say what I would and would not rather have. I said what was more likely. Sakurai freakin' put in Snake only because a friend of his begged him to. Nintendo is going push 3rd parties that they have close ties to, and they have closer ties with Namco than Hudson.
Grim Lizard, you're probably right in this case, but the whole point of my last post was that he had a better chance at getting in than Pac Man, no matter the company ties.
Yes, Namco and Hudson are very buddy-buddy with Nintendo. But, (i researched this too) Namco has the upperhand- Bomberman was in a Mario-ish (with Wario) while Pac-man was put in a game with Mario himself. Plus, Sakurai is a big fan of Pacman. The only thing keeping the yellow-nibbler back is nothing more than popularity. BARELY ANYONE WAS PACMAN FOR BRAWL, and there simply isnt enough space with so much competition.

Yes, Namco is, in a way, closer to Nintendo than Hudson- but that doesnt mean Pacman is above Bman. Bomberman is a more easily a more likely chance due to move-possibilities, popularity (in Japan and US), ties with Nintendo, and overall pwnage- u cannot deny the pwnage.

damm them puns yo...lol. but yeah Bomberman is definitely up there with regards to priority for brawl without a doubt
no youre not the odd one out. i agree and also always thought Bomberman never had a chance for 3rd party with those additional max of 2 3rd party slots (excluding Snake) being taken by powerhouses like Sonic and Megaman. and i know i was indirectly imply that Bomberman was in the top 3 but i definitely believe his to be at least in the top 5. Geno might have priority over Bomberman even though i dont understand why (lol...i was about to say "how the hell can a character get so popular from one video game?" but then i turned my head and got a glimpse of my FF7 for PC game box, so i chose to bite my tongue). i also disagreed mainly with your earlier idea that Tails and Knuckles were much more likely candidates. as much as Knuckles is and always will be my favorite, both him and Tails seem to just be known by association with Sonic and also, theyve been reduced to (pardon my French) ***** roles in the more recent Sonic games. i just dont see any logical way they take dominance over Bomberman
They dont, nor do they over anyone in the top 10 third party spots. Nintendo wouldnt put alot of characters in before they put another character from the same series in. The spots are too sacred.

Yep, i didnt want 3rd party characters either until they felt the need to add them, but like most, once they did....i hungered for more.

And its respectable that u dont want a character in Brawl whoose games u apparently like. And even if u dont think hes not gunna make it, what if he does....will u be very disapppinted?

For anyone else interested, I came up with a quick moveset for the ol' Bomber. :)

1st A: Right Jab
2nd A: Left Jab
3rd A: Roundhouse

>-A: High Kick
V-A: Spin Sweep (Mario-esque)
^-A: Upward Head Butt (Mario-esque again)

B: Remote Bomb (pretty self-explanatory—B to lay, B again to detonate; has a large attack radius + fire damage)

V-B: Pulls out Bomb (like Link, Peach, etc., press A to throw)
Once a bomb has been pulled, it is able to be charged by holding down the B button, slightly reminiscent of Samus’s Charge Shot.

>-B: Line Bomb (a projectile-ish attack, where he fires a line of bombs horizontally, and they eventually drop to the floor a ways in front of him.

^-B: Sword Uppercut (shoryuken-esque move from B64).

I'm not sure I'm happy with B-forward, so if anyone else has a better idea....
Nice. I like the fact that its original and not overcomplicated at the same time. The ^B good as well, a nice change from "all bomb moveset" some ppl complain about...

There arent too many to begin with, sadly. Either they were here b4 and got bored or never came here at all. The Sonic and Megaman threads have a steady supply of "new customers" every so often.

If you don't even want him in the game, why are you even here?

Jesus Christ.
Hey, dont flame him, he is entitled to his opinion. Thats just what he does, goes to random threads and puts down ideas he doesnt like.
Haters shall be haters.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Hey, dont flame him, he is entitled to his opinion. Thats just what he does, goes to random threads and puts down ideas he doesnt like.
Haters shall be haters.
I'm not exactly a Negative Nancy...I like some character ideas, just not all. I have a hard time supporting really any 3rd parties, let alone ones that have a little chance IMO. I support characters like Olimar, Ridley, Dedede, and retro characters. I don't hate...just certain ones. :p

Besides, like Gypsy, I like bomberman, too...

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot the other guy who beats out Bomberman: Geno. Due to solely his popularity in Mario RPG, he's bound to be in. He tied Ridley and Diddy in the character polls. And despite being a part of the Mario universe, more or less, he still counts as one of the few 3rd parties Sakurai will allow in...

Del Money

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, I forgot the other guy who beats out Bomberman: Geno. Due to solely his popularity in Mario RPG, he's bound to be in. He tied Ridley and Diddy in the character polls. And despite being a part of the Mario universe, more or less, he still counts as one of the few 3rd parties Sakurai will allow in...
popularity wise...he beats out Bomberman. eligibility-wise, he really shouldnt beat out Bomberman at all. Geno's in 2 games at automatically fanboys wanna roll into bed (without wearing protection) with him...Bomberman is a legendary video game icon like Sonic and Megaman...and thats not fanboyism talking...thats common sense

Joe Soup

Smash Ace
Lol...sorry for getting hotheaded Grim.

Glad you like my moveset...however, I think we can do better with B-Forward.

Any ideas?

fanboys wanna roll into bed (without wearing protection) with him...Bomberman is a legendary video game icon like Sonic and Megaman...and thats not fanboyism talking...thats common sense
Thanks for the support, Money.

LOL--without protection...I about pissed my pants there. Too bad RDK's not here...

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
also the fact that hudson and nintendo are on better terms then square.

also heres my bomberman moveset

stats-
power- 2.5/5 (w/o bombs), 4/5 (w 3 bombs)
speed- 4 (w/o bombs), 2.5 (w 3 bombs)
defense- 2.5/5 (w/o bombs), 4/5 (w 3 bombs)
jump- 4/5 (w/o bombs), 2.5/5 (w 3 bombs)

B- summon bomb, summons 3 bombs which trail behind him and are needed for his other b moves. bombs follow Bman wherever he goes, and can jump like Bman. pushing b while all 3 bombs are already out does nothing, if all three aren't out, then it summons enough bombs to bring the number up to 3.
the bombs increase the damage of Bman's normal attacks, and they decrease his running speed. this is all proportional to the number of bombs out
B^- bomb jump, bomberman jumps on top of on of his summoned bombs, it promptly explodes sending him upwards. his trajectory from that point on resembles that of an arch
if player is within blast radiace=10%, if player is hit by Bman during accent=7%, during decent=12%
B>- remote bomb throw, Bman takes one of his bombs and throws it. the bomb will then stick to the next thing it touches and explodes in 3 seconds.
explodes on player= 30%, explodes and player is within blast radiace, 7%
BV- bomb kick, Bman kicks one of his bombs, sending it flying in a low arch, the bomb will bounce once if it lands on any part of the stage, but it will explode on contact with an item or a player. before bounce= 20%, after bounce=15%

interestingly enough, if bomberman performs a smash attack while his bombs are out, he will take a bomb and use an elemental bomb attack

Dsmash- ice bomb, bomberman raises his hand, using one of his bombs to summon an ice bomb, he then slams it into the ground causing an explosion that does 15% damage to anyone in the blast radiace. it also leaves and ice patch on the ground where it explodes, causing players to slide uncontrollably when they walk through it. bomberman is unaffected by this untill he reenters the ice slick

Usmash- lightning bomb, bomberman uses one of his bombs to summon a lightning rod, he then raises it high in the air, causing a bolt of lightning to come down, the explosion does the standard 15% damage to anyone within blast raidiace, and the bolt works the same as pikachu's VB, except it can go through platforms above Bman

Smash- molotov cocktail, Bman uses one of his bombs to summon a fire bomb, which he throws in front of him. the closer the opponent is to bomberman, the more damage the bomb does. the bomb also lights the opponent on fire. this causes opponent to run similar to wario when he is lite ablaze in warioland 4, in that the player will not be able to stop moving untill the fire dies out 5 second later, also anyone the opponent touches will be lit ablaze for 5 seconds. fire does 5% each second

if no bombs are available during smash attacks they work as normal smash attacks with no elemental bonuses, and they only do 8% damage.

someone tell me if those damage %s are apropriate, i don't keep track to the damage counter much

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
w00t, i knew i was onto something. mainly because the moveset would be fun, original, intuitive, and not just throwing bombs but still highly involved in bombs

now if i can just fill in the a moveset it'll be perfect. i might also impliment his bombs into his throws

Top Bottom