• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman for SSBB?

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmm...on one hand, I have trouble picturing Bomberman being in Super Smash Bros. Largely because Bomberman cannot jump. Unless you're trying to remind me of Bomberman Hero.

And that's just terrible.

Plus, given his penchant to not do anything but blow things up with bombs, it would be difficult to give him an interesting and workable moveset. Difficult, but not impossible.

Then again, I DO really love Bomberman (Bomberman 64 and The Second Attack on the Virtual Console! Do it Nintendo!). And anything that gets the Curse item into Brawl in some way, shape, or form is tops in my book. This series has gone entirely too long without people bursting randomly into flame.

So I suppose it could work out, in theory. And when it comes to third party characters, I'd much rather see legitimate parts of Nintendo history like Bomberman show up than barely-qualifying characters like Snake or Sonic.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
its already been done before wyvern, remember bomberman and snake appeared in a smash-esc fighting game released only in japan. plus we've never seen cap'n falcon jump before smash but he can. jumping is not impossible you know

Del Money

Smash Champion
Hmmmm...on one hand, I have trouble picturing Bomberman being in Super Smash Bros. Largely because Bomberman cannot jump. Unless you're trying to remind me of Bomberman Hero.

And that's just terrible.

Plus, given his penchant to not do anything but blow things up with bombs, it would be difficult to give him an interesting and workable moveset. Difficult, but not impossible.

Then again, I DO really love Bomberman (Bomberman 64 and The Second Attack on the Virtual Console! Do it Nintendo!). And anything that gets the Curse item into Brawl in some way, shape, or form is tops in my book. This series has gone entirely too long without people bursting randomly into flame.

So I suppose it could work out, in theory. And when it comes to third party characters, I'd much rather see legitimate parts of Nintendo history like Bomberman show up than barely-qualifying characters like Snake or Sonic.
i agree that bomberman is a major and legit part of nintendo's history, but how the heck in Sonic "barely-qualifying"? i can think of 10 Sonic games on nintendo systems right now and i know theres more than that. and 2nd, Sonic, thought not as much as bomberman or megaman, is officially part of nintendo history as of 2001-02. there was an article on the nintendo site in winter 01-02 showing sonic and mario (people in life size costumes of course) shaking hands and "calling truce" if you will, and describe how sega and nintendo would be working more closely together. it was mostly just to let fans know about Sonic Adventure 2: Battle upcoming for Gamecube but for the first time on the nintendo website ever...Sonic was acknowledged and no longer viewed as an adversary. as lame as it sounds, thats history!

anyways bomberman qualified darn well for a spot in brawl. sonic isnt just some random 3rd party that made a cameo appearance or something fanboys just wanna throw in (*cough*like-cloud-strife-even-though-i-like-him*cough*)

Del Money

Smash Champion
i actually think bomberman might actually be a very-likely AT. a successful moveset for bomberman maybe hard for the brawl developers to come up with and plus if it can happen to samurai goroh, it can without a doubt happen to bomberhomie

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
First off, a moveset would not at all be difficult.
He has arms, legs, and even that antenna-thing. There are your A moves.
For his B moves, he has LOADS of different bombs (fire, earth, spark, ice, and wind to name a few) and many different ways of delivering it (holding, throwing, dropping, kicking, etc.).
Moveset = Done. You = Wrong.

He LITERALLY CANNOT be an AT. He's third party. Either it's a character, or no point in getting his rights.

Del Money

Smash Champion
@at everyone above Cubelarooso

yeah though i would like to play as bomberman, it would surely change how i think of bomberman if some half-baked moveset was given to him, especially one that didnt fit him. i know i gonna get dumb responses about capt falcon and ganondorf but falcon was never playable outside the driver seat and ganon was never playable period. it appear assist trophy spot are going to memorable nintendo characters who movesets will be difficult or just plain weird to have. samurai goroh as an AT was a bit upsetting but realistically it was probbly better than way since making a moveset for falcon was somewhat farfetched enough. as for bomberman, he is worthy of an appearance in brawl and will most likely be an AT.
now heres hoping DJ napps doesnt come in flaming me, spamming, and telling me Sonic sucks

For his B moves, he has LOADS of different bombs (fire, earth, spark, ice, and wind to name a few) and many different ways of delivering it (holding, throwing, dropping, kicking, etc.).

He LITERALLY CANNOT be an AT. He's third party. Either it's a character, or no point in getting his rights.
whoa tone down the flames bud. first off, those bombs are elemental...thats great, but it wont do much good if all B attacks do that exact same animation with different bombs otherwise how will bomberman have a recovery? im just saying a LOGICAL moveset would require alot of creativity and bomberman could be playable but it just seems more likely he'll be an AT. and plus what makes you so sure that 3rd parties cant be ATs?

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Making a 3rd party AT would be a waste of litigation.

Moveset (was really easy to make, and I could make another, different one just as easily):

^B: Wind Bomb Hold
Bomberman takes out a wind-bomb and holds it in the direction you hold the control stick. After a second, the bomb explodes in a windy orb the diameter equal to Bowser's height, and sends you rocketing away from the bomb just less than the distance of a firefox. Anyone in the blast radius gets minor damage (≤3%) and set knockback away from the bomb that decreases the further you are from the center, being right next to the bomb causing knockback the same distance as Bomberman. If Bomberman is hit before the bomb explodes, it explodes right then and treats Bomberman as if it were not his (causing damage but no freefall).

>B: Lightning Bomb Kick
Bomberman stops, takes out a lightning bomb, and kicks it. This action takes a half a second. It travels along the ground at about Mario's dashing speed. After going over an edge, or if launched in the air, it travels at the same horizontal speed, but also falls at a speed to make it a 5° angle. After hitting an enemy, wall, or anything that would stop it, it explodes into floating electric arcs forming a rough ball with a Pikachu height diameter. On the ground, it hits several times and locks them until it ends (1/2 second maximum), causing up to 8% damage (damage depends on how long they were in it). If it hits in the air, the explosion stays for 1 second, only hits enemies 3 times (only takes 5 frames) then releases them, and causes 13% damage. If Bomberman is hit before he kicks the bomb the bomb explodes. The bomb treats Bomberman the same as an enemy.

B: Fire Bomb Throw
Bomberman Takes out a fire bomb and holds it behind his head as if he was going to throw it (think Yoshi's ^B). Moving the control stick up and down causes Bomberman to aim up and down. Releasing B causes him to throw it in the current direction, where it will travel in an arc and a horizontal maximum of Luigi's fireball. After hitting anything, it explodes into fiery puffs shaped into a ball with a diameter of Samus's height. Those in the blast take 12% damage and knockback somewhat less than a Smaus smash missile. A simple tap of the B button for a basic throw take only 10 frames, plus 5 frames after before he can do anything else. If Bomberman is hit while holding it, the bomb explodes. The bomb treats Bomberman the same as an enemy.

vB: Earth Bomb Drop
Bomberman drops an earth bomb on the ground, where it sits and waits. The initial drop will place it inside of Bomberman, but after moving out of it, it is treated as a small pillar (works as wall and can be stood on). If dropped in the air, it falls at the speed of a capsule (in the air, it again works as walls/floor/ceiling). After 5 seconds, it explodes into lines of lava in a cross, each side going out 1/6 the length of Final Destination. If someone touches the explosion, they're hit with 30% damage and sent upward with knockback equal to a charged Pikachu usmash. If anything damages it before the explosion, it explodes with less power. The power depends on how long it sat, it increasing exponentially over time. Bomberman has to wait 3 seconds after the first one is gone before laying another. The bomb treats Bomberman the same as an enemy.

All bombs are twice the size of Young Link's bombs.

Del Money

Smash Champion
possibly. this maybe a stupid question but ill ask anyways...do you consider dr. wright owned by nintendo? or maxis? he may have only been in the SNES version but i dont know if i simcity was the only SNES game he was in and if so whether that makes him nintendo-owned or maxis-owned. bomberman has been on more nintendo systems than any other company and is owned by hudson who apparently works insanely close with nintendo (a.k.a the Mario Party games).so i see bomberman as more of a 2nd-and-a-half party and that seems to make him (just as it made dr. wright) a candidate for AT. but you never know?

Moveset (was really easy to make, and I could make another, different one just as easily):

Bomberman takes out a wind-bomb and holds it in the direction you hold the control stick. After a second, the bomb explodes in a windy orb the diameter equal to Bowser's height, and sends you rocketing away from the bomb just less than the distance of a firefox. Anyone in the blast radius gets minor damage (≤3%) and set knockback away from the bomb that decreases the further you are from the center, being right next to the bomb causing knockback the same distance as Bomberman. If Bomberman is hit before the bomb explodes, it explodes right then and treats Bomberman as if it were not his (causing damage but no freefall).

Bomberman stops, takes out a lightning bomb, and kicks it. This action takes a half a second. It travels along the ground at about Mario's dashing speed. After going over an edge, or if launched in the air, it travels at the same horizontal speed, but also falls at a speed to make it a 5° angle. After hitting an enemy, wall, or anything that would stop it, it explodes into floating electric arcs forming a rough ball with a Pikachu height diameter. On the ground, it hits several times and locks them until it ends (1/2 second maximum), causing up to 8% damage (damage depends on how long they were in it). If it hits in the air, the explosion stays for 1 second, only hits enemies 3 times (only takes 5 frames) then releases them, and causes 13% damage. If Bomberman is hit before he kicks the bomb the bomb explodes. The bomb treats Bomberman the same as an enemy.

Bomberman Takes out a fire bomb and holds it behind his head as if he was going to throw it (think Yoshi's ^B). Moving the control stick up and down causes Bomberman to aim up and down. Releasing B causes him to throw it in the current direction, where it will travel in an arc and a horizontal maximum of Luigi's fireball. After hitting anything, it explodes into fiery puffs shaped into a ball with a diameter of Samus's height. Those in the blast take 12% damage and knockback somewhat less than a Smaus smash missile. A simple tap of the B button for a basic throw take only 10 frames, plus 5 frames after before he can do anything else. If Bomberman is hit while holding it, the bomb explodes. The bomb treats Bomberman the same as an enemy.

Bomberman drops an earth bomb on the ground, where it sits and waits. The initial drop will place it inside of Bomberman, but after moving out of it, it is treated as a small pillar (works as wall and can be stood on). If dropped in the air, it falls at the speed of a capsule (in the air, it again works as walls/floor/ceiling). After 5 seconds, it explodes into lines of lava in a cross, each side going out 1/6 the length of Final Destination. If someone touches the explosion, they're hit with 30% damage and sent upward with knockback equal to a charged Pikachu usmash. If anything damages it before the explosion, it explodes with less power. The power depends on how long it sat, it increasing exponentially over time. Bomberman has to wait 3 seconds after the first one is gone before laying another. The bomb treats Bomberman the same as an enemy.

ok this moveset is really good. and yes ive played enough bomberman games to understand your moveset. but theres one problem...it wasnt made by sakurai. you also have to remember that theres only 1 or 2 more 3rd party slots left assuming bomberman isnt an AT. megaman is slightly more popular and likely to get one of them. Sonic is the most popular and could easily get the other, but Sega is a very unstable company (otherwise people other than myself would actually like their games). bomberman's hope to be playable rests on 3 conditions:

1. sakurai wants 2 more 3rd parties instead of one (or none, God forbid)
2. Sega fails yet again
3. sakurai deems bomberman worthy of a full moveset rather than a pre-programmed character (aka an AT) thatll just walk around laying, throwing, or kicking bombs like a terrorist

Sgt.Frog

Smash Apprentice
I think he's in there somewhere, playable or not, especially with Hudson's massive VC library. He'd be a great character with bomb based moves, he could plant bombs around the stage and detonate them all at once.

Del Money

Smash Champion
I think he's in there somewhere, playable or not, especially with Hudson's massive VC library. He'd be a great character with bomb based moves, he could plant bombs around the stage and detonate them all at once.
exactly. i view bomberman as a a little higher than just another 3rd party nintendo character anyway which is why AT trophy status doesnt seem so much of a long shot.

Cubelarooso's moveset was good but still sakurai want to reach out to fans and most people who have player bomberman before remeber the laying bombs, kicking bombs, remote bombs, and maybe throwing them all from the old days. they wont remember the newer stuff like charaboms, riding kangaroos, and elemental bombs. anything past bomberman 64 is a stretch for most people who've played a bomberman game before. just like anything past Sonic Adventure is a stretch for those who've played sonic games before. sonic is just more well-known for a rivalry with mario and was the most requested 3rd party which is why he's in a different situation

i see bomberman definitely being in the game but i think his chances at being playable are a little lower than they are of an AT. it wouldnt surprise me if he was playable but i expect AT

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
AT status inevitable?

Yeah, a bomberman moveset is very possible. They are everywhere, two somewhere on this thread and two more here. However, im not too fond of the element bombs. I think b-could have a successful moveset without it.
I dont know about the 'AT' thing. we havent seen a definite third party AT yet, so it might not be possible. I REALLY hope hes a character, but if he isnt, ill take an AT any day.

@at everyone above Cubelarooso

yeah though i would like to play as bomberman, it would surely change how i think of bomberman if some half-baked moveset was given to him, especially one that didnt fit him. i know i gonna get dumb responses about capt falcon and ganondorf but falcon was never playable outside the driver seat and ganon was never playable period. it appear assist trophy spot are going to memorable nintendo characters who movesets will be difficult or just plain weird to have. samurai goroh as an AT was a bit upsetting but realistically it was probbly better than way since making a moveset for falcon was somewhat farfetched enough. as for bomberman, he is worthy of an appearance in brawl and will most likely be an AT.
now heres hoping DJ napps doesnt come in flaming me, spamming, and telling me Sonic sucks
Here I am!
I agree fully. Bomberman is very worthy. And, no, im not here to flame you. And, no, im not here to tell you Sonic sucks- i love Sonic. I just think hes over hyped. And, spamming? When did i spam?

Anyway, i would be upset if Nintendo gives him some half-baked moves, too. He has to much potential. He would be a shoe-in, if it wasnt for "the others".

whoa tone down the flames bud. first off, those bombs are elemental...thats great, but it wont do much good if all B attacks do that exact same animation with different bombs otherwise how will bomberman have a recovery? im just saying a LOGICAL moveset would require alot of creativity and bomberman could be playable but it just seems more likely he'll be an AT. and plus what makes you so sure that 3rd parties cant be ATs?
I think its very likely Nintendo makes some ATs 3rd party to satisfy hungry fanboys. Sadly, Bomberman's chances of being an AT are increasing.

I like it too, but like Cubelarooso said, its to have things like recovery, etc. But still, its very well thought out, and Nintendo will probably fill his moveset with moves like these.

possibly. this maybe a stupid question but ill ask anyways...do you consider dr. wright owned by nintendo? or maxis? he may have only been in the SNES version but i dont know if i simcity was the only SNES game he was in and if so whether that makes him nintendo-owned or maxis-owned. bomberman has been on more nintendo systems than any other company and is owned by hudson who apparently works insanely close with nintendo (a.k.a the Mario Party games).so i see bomberman as more of a 2nd-and-a-half party and that seems to make him (just as it made dr. wright) a candidate for AT. but you never know?
Bomberman is truly a 2 and 1/2 party if you think about it. Hudson is really close with Nintendo- maybe too close. With projects like the Mario Party series and having B-man in a game with a Nintendo character (Wario), Bomberman seems as likely as Geno. Yet, Sonic and Megaman are just more popular. I dont know enough about Dr. Wright to know who hes owned by.
But just because Dr. Wright is "2 1/2 party" and became a AT, that doesnt mean Bomberman will share the same fate. I guessing Dr. Wright is and AT simply because hes was popular enough to become a character and it wouldnt make sense to make a moveset for a non-demanded character and waste a character slot. Thus, they made him an AT.

ok this moveset is really good. and yes ive played enough bomberman games to understand your moveset. but theres one problem...it wasnt made by sakurai. you also have to remember that theres only 1 or 2 more 3rd party slots left assuming bomberman isnt an AT. megaman is slightly more popular and likely to get one of them. Sonic is the most popular and could easily get the other, but Sega is a very unstable company (otherwise people other than myself would actually like their games). bomberman's hope to be playable rests on 3 conditions:

1. sakurai wants 2 more 3rd parties instead of one (or none, God forbid)
2. Sega fails yet again
3. sakurai deems bomberman worthy of a full moveset rather than a pre-programmed character (aka an AT) thatll just walk around laying, throwing, or kicking bombs like a terrorist
Yes.

1.Sakurai may very well include more 3rd party characters. Im assuming tht when Sakurai said "1-2 more third-party characters" it was simply an estimate he was thinking at the time. He also said that they would keep the traditional controller scheme from the GC, which he did, but added 3 more. he is known for surprising people, so im thinking hell mostly likely include around 1-2 characters, the minimum of 0 (God forbid) or the max. of 5 including Snake.
1.Snake (confirmed)
2. Sonic
3. Geno
4. Megaman
5. Bomberman
Thats in order from popularity and overall chances of getting in. As you can see, bomberman has alot of compettition. Pacman is trailing right behind B-man because, he as well, is 2 and a half party (appeared in a Mario racing game), is a gaming icon (like mario and sonic, and is greatly admired by Sakurai- he loves Pacman. Popularity is the only thing keepin bomberman in the lead.

2. Sega wont fail. They have too much riding on the line. If Sonic in, itll boost his popularity and sales. Period. Its the perfect business strategy. Make a popular character even more popular by putting him in a high-demand, best selling game.

3.Sakurai thinks Bomberman is worthy (as he does for Pacman), but he would rather make his fans happy. Its that simple.

Thats exactly why i want him. He will pwn!

exactly. i view bomberman as a a little higher than just another 3rd party nintendo character anyway which is why AT trophy status doesnt seem so much of a long shot.
Yep. His status as an AT is his best bet. At least he'll be that.

Cubelarooso's moveset was good but still sakurai want to reach out to fans and most people who have player bomberman before remeber the laying bombs, kicking bombs, remote bombs, and maybe throwing them all from the old days. they wont remember the newer stuff like charaboms, riding kangaroos, and elemental bombs. anything past bomberman 64 is a stretch for most people who've played a bomberman game before. just like anything past Sonic Adventure is a stretch for those who've played sonic games before. sonic is just more well-known for a rivalry with mario and was the most requested 3rd party which is why he's in a different situation

i see bomberman definitely being in the game but i think his chances at being playable are a little lower than they are of an AT. it wouldnt surprise me if he was playable but i expect AT
Well, i guess an AT is better than nothing at all. All his moves should come from Bomberman 64 and down and that should be enough. A few moves from newer games like the helicopter thingy and maybe Pommy (that kangaroo thing) for a Final Smash, but thats it.

~Bomberman 4 Brawl!~​

wilson7913

Smash Cadet
I somehow forgot about Bomberman when thinking about good additions to Brawl. He's definitely a character I'd like to see in there. He has a long history of numerous games so he's definitely earned his spot over other characters like Jigglypuff who was in my opinion the dumbest character choice ever.

Del Money

Smash Champion
aw yes, Napps is here! now i can quote him

I think its very likely Nintendo makes some ATs 3rd party to satisfy hungry fanboys. Sadly, Bomberman's chances of being an AT are increasing.
increasing? theyre pretty high and if one more 2-1/2 party character gets thrown in AT status, itll mostly likely be a reality

I like it too, but like Cubelarooso said, its to have things like recovery, etc. But still, its very well thought out, and Nintendo will probably fill his moveset with moves like these.
we'll see. this moveset is good and if bomberman is playable, this is the one i want. then again, if hes playable he'll probably have a way worse moveset (look what they did to Wario with that stupid bike. lets hope it can be some way used to combo with)

Bomberman is truly a 2 and 1/2 party if you think about it. Hudson is really close with Nintendo- maybe too close. With projects like the Mario Party series and having B-man in a game with a Nintendo character (Wario), Bomberman seems as likely as Geno. Yet, Sonic and Megaman are just more popular. I dont know enough about Dr. Wright to know who hes owned by.
But just because Dr. Wright is "2 1/2 party" and became a AT, that doesnt mean Bomberman will share the same fate. I guessing Dr. Wright is and AT simply because hes was popular enough to become a character and it wouldnt make sense to make a moveset for a non-demanded character and waste a character slot. Thus, they made him an AT.
is dr. wright really that popular? ive never heard of him period, and think him being even an AT is ******** and desperate as hell. was he in any other games that i maybe dont know about?

1.Sakurai may very well include more 3rd party characters. Im assuming tht when Sakurai said "1-2 more third-party characters" it was simply an estimate he was thinking at the time. He also said that they would keep the traditional controller scheme from the GC, which he did, but added 3 more. he is known for surprising people, so im thinking hell mostly likely include around 1-2 characters, the minimum of 0 (God forbid) or the max. of 5 including Snake.
1.Snake (confirmed)
2. Sonic
3. Geno
4. Megaman
5. Bomberman
Thats in order from popularity and overall chances of getting in. As you can see, bomberman has alot of compettition. Pacman is trailing right behind B-man because, he as well, is 2 and a half party (appeared in a Mario racing game), is a gaming icon (like mario and sonic, and is greatly admired by Sakurai- he loves Pacman. Popularity is the only thing keepin bomberman in the lead.
agreed but whats so great about Geno? before smashboards i never knew who he was. he's in Super Mario RPG and yet everyone on these boards is obsessed with him. i dont have a problem, i just wanna know why all the hysteria? and i would definitely put megaman above him with regards to priority of getting in. possibly bomberman too

2. Sega wont fail. They have too much riding on the line.
situations where Sega failed and had alot on the line:
- poorly marketing the Sega Genesis Nomad (handheld system to play Genesis games with a starting price of $300) back in the day
- everything associated with the Sega Saturn (except Night into Dreams)
- allowing the release of the worst Sonic cartoon series ever and allowing its lame voice actors to voice act for their games as well
- not sticking to their original plan of making Sonic 360 a 3D reamke of the first Sonic
- not unglitching most if not all 3D Sonic titles
- this isnt a Sonic thread so ill stop

,If Sonic in, itll boost his popularity and sales. Period. Its the perfect business strategy. Make a popular character even more popular by putting him in a high-demand, best selling game.
well that goes without saying. hoping brawl will be Sega's turning point cuz something tells me M&S at the Olympic Games wont accomplish that.

3.Sakurai thinks Bomberman is worthy (as he does for Pacman), but he would rather make his fans happy. Its that simple.
back up this statement with some proof please

Thats exactly why i want him. He will pwn!
dude the entire 3rd party smash cast will pwn, so long as sakurai does what he should

EDIT:
I somehow forgot about Bomberman when thinking about good additions to Brawl. He's definitely a character I'd like to see in there. He has a long history of numerous games so he's definitely earned his spot over other characters like Jigglypuff who was in my opinion the dumbest character choice ever.
i hate jiggs too but you cant do much about a 2-prequel veteran

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
He would be a shoe-in, if it wasnt for "the others".
True.

megaman is slightly more popular and likely to get one of them. Sonic is the most popular and could easily get the other
Very true, and that makes me sad. Sonic and Megaman are pretty much guaranteed to be the 2 3rd parties.
I am a Sega fanboy. However, Sonic is my 3rd pick (fourth if you count the impossible Red Mage) for Brawl. I'm afraid of how Sakurai might butcher him (making new moves when he could have a moveset simply from the Sonic 3 shields) and how Sega might butcher him (he yells out ******** stuff for every action he takes). Plus, I think Bomberman DESERVES it more. I feel most of Sonic's probability comes from unreasonable fan-kids (comparisons to Cloud and Sora come to mind).
The only way Bomberman could get in is if Sakurai decides to add more than 2, Capcom or Sega don't cooperate, Bomberman beat them to the punch during Snake negotiations, or Sakurai does that Sakurai thing (Snake? Zamus? Deoxys in pokeball? Need I go on?)
I'm not arguing Bomberman will be in, or even that he's LIKELY, just that he's awesome.

I think its very likely Nintendo makes some ATs 3rd party to satisfy hungry fanboys.
No. They would not.

do you consider dr. wright owned by nintendo? or maxis?
Nintendo, plain and simple. He was in Melee as a trophy (he was the one I got for free) before they started admitting 3rd parties.

assuming bomberman isnt an AT.
Yep. His status as an AT is his best bet. At least he'll be that.
So very wrong. Getting a 3rd party would require conferences, contracts, lawyers, and a bunch of annoying stuff that just wouldn't be worth an AT. Especially since Nintendo would need to pay money to use the character, and maybe even split profits, that they would not get back from the two fans that would buy Brawl to see Bomberman (or any, non-hordes-of-drooling-fan-idiots 3rd party character) for a couple of seconds every once in a while during an item battle. Not to mention that I'd (and I'm sure most people would feel this way) consider rather insulting if someone were to rent the rights to my character and turn it into an AT rather than a playable character. It's like I'm not good enough to deserve a full character but Nintendo considers me so insignificant and themselves so important that they can just buy everything off me and basically own me.
However, with Sakurai at the head, I kinda think he wouldn't care.

You should know by now he would much rather make himself than his fans happy.

Del Money

Smash Champion
see now this is a heathly discussion

I'm not arguing Bomberman will be in, or even that he's LIKELY, just that he's awesome.
well you should be arguing that. bomberman IMO is slightly (VERY SLIGHTLY) less popular than bomberman in the video game world. i'm a bigger sonic fan than bomberman and Sonic was the most requested but i'd honestly be more surprised if Bomberman got the cut

I think its very likely Nintendo makes some ATs 3rd party to satisfy hungry fanboys.
No. They would not.
So very wrong. Getting a 3rd party would require conferences, contracts, lawyers, and a bunch of annoying stuff that just wouldn't be worth an AT. Especially since Nintendo would need to pay money to use the character, and maybe even split profits, that they would not get back from the two fans that would buy Brawl to see Bomberman (or any, non-hordes-of-drooling-fan-idiots 3rd party character) for a couple of seconds every once in a while during an item battle. Not to mention that I'd (and I'm sure most people would feel this way) consider rather insulting if someone were to rent the rights to my character and turn it into an AT rather than a playable character. It's like I'm not good enough to deserve a full character but Nintendo considers me so insignificant and themselves so important that they can just buy everything off me and basically own me.
However, with Sakurai at the head, I kinda think he wouldn't care.
agreed. 3rd party characters are too valuable and expensive to be thrown into AT status unless another character from that 3rd party series is already playable, and even still i think its unlikely. Bomberman however i feel is more 2-1/2 party for reasons i explained and agreed with Napps on, which is because of Hudson's close relationship with nintendo especially with the entire Mario Party series and the whole Bomberman/Wario collaboration. Dr. Wright is 2-1/2 party too and he sure as hell aint playable which is why im worried about Bomberman

You should know by now he would much rather make himself than his fans happy.
well yeah but he left Diddy out of melee. Ridley too.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
agreed. 3rd party characters are too valuable and expensive to be thrown into AT status unless another character from that 3rd party series is already playable, and even still i think its unlikely. Bomberman however i feel is more 2-1/2 party for reasons i explained and agreed with Napps on, which is because of Hudson's close relationship with nintendo especially with the entire Mario Party series and the whole Bomberman/Wario collaboration. Dr. Wright is 2-1/2 party too and he sure as hell aint playable which is why im worried about Bomberman
Bomberman isn't 2 1/2 party. He's 3rd party. The only thing that makes him closer to Brawl is the fact that he's Hudson, which is owned by Konami, who already has a character in (though that could work against him).
Capcom's made several Zelda games. Sega has F-Zero GX, Genesis on Virtual Console, and now the Olympics thing (though the last may again be a hinderance).
As for Dr. Wright, he's 1st party, plain in simple. Think Geno, except in reverse. He may have been in Sim City, but he was made by Nintendo, so Nintendo owns him. The fact he was in Melee confirms that 100%.

Doesn't that support that Sakurai comes before fans?

Del Money

Smash Champion
Bomberman isn't 2 1/2 party. He's 3rd party. The only thing that makes him closer to Brawl is the fact that he's Hudson, which is owned by Konami, who already has a character in (though that could work against him).
Capcom's made several Zelda games. Sega has F-Zero GX, Genesis on Virtual Console, and now the Olympics thing (though the last may again be a hinderance).
As for Dr. Wright, he's 1st party, plain in simple. Think Geno, except in reverse. He may have been in Sim City, but he was made by Nintendo, so Nintendo owns him. The fact he was in Melee confirms that 100%.
was he a trophy in melee? i completely forgot since theres well over 250 trophies to collect. i guess the Dr Wright thing makes sense so thanks for clearing that up. and i dont know **** about Geno. yeah and i see how the konami thing could work way against him but now theres the whole "buying in bulk" theory that might make Bomberman less costly and therefore a playable character. **** is AT really that impossible? i was hoping for it to at least be a Plan B of sorts. this seriously lowers my hopes for Bomberman to be in now

Doesn't that support that Sakurai comes before fans?
didnt you say something about Sakurai making the fans happy? you cant slap Ridley in the melee opening and then only have a stupid still trophy to show for it. same with samurai goroh, who for brawl got promoted to animate-trophy status

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
i see how the konami thing could work way against him but now theres the whole "buying in bulk" theory that might make Bomberman less costly and therefore a playable character.
That's what I'm hoping.

**** is AT really that impossible?
Sort of. After talking about it, it doesn't seem ENTIRELY unlikely. If Sonic were in, people wouldn't be surprised top see Tails as an AT. I suppose Bomberman could work the same way with Snake. Kinda. But, I'm not entirely sure about how licensing "related" characters would work.

i was hoping for it to at least be a Plan B of sorts.
Personally, I'd see that as sort of a slap to the face. Bomberman deserves to be a character, and I'd rather not have him at all than him be an AT.
My plan B is the Virtual Console and Bomberman Land Wii.

didnt you say something about Sakurai making the fans happy?

Napps said Sakurai serves the fans. I said he does stuff he wants to do.

If this discussion is over, I have a new subject: Bomberman's stage.
I'm thinking it'd be like the classic games, with solid platforms forming half-checker tiling, with breakable blocks placed randomly.

Del Money

Smash Champion
oh yeah...that was Napps, wasnt it

I'm thinking it'd be like the classic games, with solid platforms forming half-checker tiling, with breakable blocks placed randomly.
maybe. it would be more appealing if there was an overhead view like most (if not all) Bomberman games but cant really do that in smash bros. i just find it hard to picture a bomberman stage switched to side-scroller view. i wish i was more artsy...oh god what the hell am i saying???

Del Money

Smash Champion
The guy in today's update is CLEARLY Bomberman.
I can tell from the pixels and seeing quite a few bombers in my time.
dammit. i was gonna pwn everyone here and say that bomberman was in the clouds between bowser, mickey mouse, and uncle chuck from the old Sonic cartoon

Del Money

Smash Champion
sorry for the double post but this thread is dying. anyways im still doubtful about the purple guy in the update being a Bomberman, Cubelarooso. i mean...well...look at the rest of its body

SIDE NOTE: Napps, if your really a Sonic fan too youll sign the petition in my sig

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
...I'm Baa-ack!

was he a trophy in melee? i completely forgot since theres well over 250 trophies to collect. i guess the Dr Wright thing makes sense so thanks for clearing that up. and i dont know **** about Geno. yeah and i see how the konami thing could work way against him but now theres the whole "buying in bulk" theory that might make Bomberman less costly and therefore a playable character. **** is AT really that impossible? i was hoping for it to at least be a Plan B of sorts. this seriously lowers my hopes for Bomberman to be in now
Same here, im afraid for my dude B-man as well. I didnt kno they had to go thru all that work. So now it seems that hes either in or out. Period.

Sort of. After talking about it, it doesn't seem ENTIRELY unlikely. If Sonic were in, people wouldn't be surprised top see Tails as an AT. I suppose Bomberman could work the same way with Snake. Kinda. But, I'm not entirely sure about how licensing "related" characters would work.
Yeah, but technically, Snake and Bomberman arent even the same company. I kno what u mean tho. Hopefully theyll see his significance and put him in as a character.

Personally, I'd see that as sort of a slap to the face. Bomberman deserves to be a character, and I'd rather not have him at all than him be an AT.
My plan B is the Virtual Console and Bomberman Land Wii.
I dont know about that, i want Bomberman. At least he would be an AT. It's degrading but its better than nothing.

...thats my plan C. Bomberman 64 for the VC!!!

oh yeah...that was Napps, wasnt it
Yep, thats what i said, and i still stand by it. I think this time around he'll serve the fans and his own wishes. There is too much on the line and too many years in development for Sakurai to make his fantasy game.

If this discussion is over, I have a new subject: Bomberman's stage.
maybe. it would be more appealing if there was an overhead view like most (if not all) Bomberman games but cant really do that in smash bros. i just find it hard to picture a bomberman stage switched to side-scroller view. i wish i was more artsy...oh god what the hell am i saying???
Good topic. I cant think of a good stage for Bomberman since all of his stages are bird's eye. Anything they come up with will look weird so they probably just wont make one for him. Now that i think of it, will 3rd party even have stages? I hope they do.

The guy in today's update is CLEARLY Bomberman.
I can tell from the pixels and seeing quite a few bombers in my time.
dammit. i was gonna pwn everyone here and say that bomberman was in the clouds between bowser, mickey mouse, and uncle chuck from the old Sonic cartoon
sorry for the double post but this thread is dying. anyways im still doubtful about the purple guy in the update being a Bomberman, Cubelarooso. i mean...well...look at the rest of its body
Funny. Thats not Bomberman. Plz, that cant be Bomberman.

SIDE NOTE: Napps, if your really a Sonic fan too youll sign the petition in my sig
I am, and i did. But not because u told me or not because im a Sonic fan. Its just that this should have happened by now.

Okay, enough quoting.
Moving on, this is my Bomberman moveset so far...

STATS:
Speed- ***
Size- ***
Weight- **
Jump- **
Reach- **
Strength- ***

A- Left-hand jab
AA- Right punch, Left punch
AAA- Strong Uppercut

B- Drop Bomb (Hold B 2 secs to hold, continuous holding pumps bomb)
B<>-
B\/- Suicide Bomb (Bomberman slams a bomb beneath his feet, quickly flinging him upward and causing slight damage to him. Causes major damage to neighboring enemies)
B^- Bomber Copter (Bomberman bursts upward with propeller spinning above him. He is able to fly around freely for around 10 secs.)

Final Smash- (undecided)
A- Bomberman jumps on the back of Pommy and rides around the stage with increased speed and jumping ability on the back of Pommy. He can drop as much as 10 bombs at one time and quickly as desired. Pommy is also able to attack opponents (i.e-biting).

B- Bomberman pumps a legendary Red Bomb to maximum size (around 2x the height of Bowser). Bomberman speed is greatly decreased and cannot jump. He is free to throw the bomb wherever he pleases, the bombs explosion radius affects everyone on the stage. Any player hit with the Bomb is instanly knocked off stage of is immobilized and dizzy (with stars flying around their head as in Bomberman 64)

That's it. As you can see a lot of things are missing (Nair, Fair, A^, etc). Thats where u guys come in. Let me know what you think.

Del Money

Smash Champion
@ DJ Napps
thanks for signing the petition. the game shouldve been out for PC already and im not gonna spend $500 on a friggin PS3. its all Wii for me. with regards to being playalbe or AT im starting to think it could still go either way now just because Snake is in but like you said, Hudson doesnt do anything with Snake at all so it could still be and either-in-or -out situation. its hard to say at this point unless we get more info about whether 3rd party characters can be ATs assuming they already have a member of the respective franchise in as a playable character (primarily for the whole "buying-in-bulk" thing i described to Cubelarooso a few posts ago. as for that update, i dont know why Cubelarooso thinks its undeniably bomberman. im hoping he'll tell us. the face may be possibly a disguise but the body flat out says "NO"

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
It was a joke. I was debating over whether to post it here or the "Dr. Mario confirmed" thread, but I decided on here because this place needs more posts.

Also, if Bomberman were to somehow be an AT, that could also mean Simon Belmont, Frogger, and Dark Magician (ww) as ATs....

Del Money

Smash Champion
It was a joke. I was debating over whether to post it here or the "Dr. Mario confirmed" thread, but I decided on here because this place needs more posts.
lol good call
Also, if Bomberman were to somehow be an AT, that could also mean Simon Belmont, Frogger, and Dark Magician (ww) as ATs....
interesting point but there was a discussion i had earlier about the possibility of a Tails being an AT if Sonic was in brawl but then again Hudson doesnt have any leading representative above Bomberman do they? oh and is Hudson to Konami as Sonic Team is to Sega?

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
Yea, i knew it was a joke. There was no way it was Bomberman.
You could have posted it in both places.

Yea, thats why they probably wont let Bomberman appear.

lol good call
interesting point but there was a discussion i had earlier about the possibility of a Tails being an AT if Sonic was in brawl but then again Hudson doesnt have any leading representative above Bomberman do they? oh and is Hudson to Konami as Sonic Team is to Sega?
If someone else from Hudson somehow makes it b4 Bomberman (like Bonk) then Bomberman is more likely to be an AT. However i dont see that happening.

I think the relationship is similar but not exactly the same. Konami owns Hudson and Hudson make a number of game series. However Sega owns Sonic Team but the Sonic Team only makes one game series- Sonic.

I figure I should say this... If SSBB fan's are happy, then that means Sakurai is happy.
Thats what i was trying to explain earlier. Sakurai likes pleasing the fans cuz that makes money for him. Money makes Sakurai happy, ya digg?

Del Money

Smash Champion
this is all too dumb. a good AT update would clear things up. like maybe if (and i dont know **** about metal gear) like an assistant on Snake appears as an AT, thatll prove that 3rd parties with related franchises can take it but it all depends. everything now is just speculation...its sad really

Del Money

Smash Champion
i dont want an update right now to scream out who all the 3rd parties are...but at the same time i want something that inference can be drawn off of, you know? like if say Gray Fox (from Metal Gear) became an AT then we can estimate Bomberman's chances for playablility/AT status rather than going on instinct alone. given that the post count on this thread is exceptionally low, i'm start to become pesismistic about bomberman's chances at all...

Top Bottom