• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman for Project M

Who should I port the Beta Version over?

• Lucas

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Olimar

Votes: 75 43.9%
  • R.O.B

Votes: 29 17.0%
  • Toon Link

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Jigglypuff

Votes: 26 15.2%

• Total voters

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Actually yeah, since there'll be a public beta once he's refined enough (which given how quickly I work will be pretty soon), let's just discuss stuff here

ymtah

Smash Cadet
Speaking of bomb kicking, is there any chance it would be an outstanding idea to give his forward air projectile-reflecting capabilities?

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
I think that would be a bit too strong. Lucas can do something similar, but it's with Fsmash which is hard to pull off (though it gets real hype when he does it XD)

also new forward throw, maybe?

Last edited:

ymtah

Smash Cadet
Fair comes out on frame 14, and has way less knockback than Lucas/Ness' fsmashes. It is not fast enough either on startup or IASA to set up any kind of reflective wall, nor even to react to many common projectiles. Reflections would be won from reads, and would range from novel to moderately useful. If reflecting projectiles were consistently game-changing, Spacies' reflectors would actually be used for it often, instead of typically by accident.

Pyotr does have plans to implement something like a cargo-toss system in place of his current Luigi throw clones.

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
That makes sense. I'm still not feeling it, but if there was a better animation for it then maybe ^^

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Fair comes out on frame 14, and has way less knockback than Lucas/Ness' fsmashes. It is not fast enough either on startup or IASA to set up any kind of reflective wall, nor even to react to many common projectiles. Reflections would be won from reads, and would range from novel to moderately useful. If reflecting projectiles were consistently game-changing, Spacies' reflectors would actually be used for it often, instead of typically by accident.

Pyotr does have plans to implement something like a cargo-toss system in place of his current Luigi throw clones.
I'm looking to give him as many unique properties as possible, so that would be a cool idea. I'll add it to the second round of patches and we'll see if we like it.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Bomb kicking and bomb dropping really need to be in. Pump bomb would be a good spot for the bomb drop, even if it wouldn't have too many uses. Maybe make it usable in the air? Would that be too OP?

Βearzor

Smash Cadet
I just wanted to say that your Bomberman is looking really cool, and I can't wait to try him out! Thank you for the work you're putting into him. I am hyped.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Great news, everyone! Bomberman now has a working EXModule for BrawlEX+PM+ASL (which is on its way haha)! Also, thanks to @themaziest, Bomberman will have SFX soon as well! A public beta release will arrive (hopefully) in the next month or so.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Great! Also, I asked you this before, but it got lost in my wall of text. The model and CSPs don't match at all now, what are you gonna do with it? Change the CSPs or change the model? I really like the model used in the CSPs, but if it can't be used then too bad I guess.
Can't wait for the bext update to finally start testing him against real people!

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Great! Also, I asked you this before, but it got lost in my wall of text. The model and CSPs don't match at all now, what are you gonna do with it? Change the CSPs or change the model? I really like the model used in the CSPs, but if it can't be used then too bad I guess.
Can't wait for the bext update to finally start testing him against real people!
Well, I'm hoping to get the model rigged from the CSP sometime soon, but I really like the model I'm using now haha. I might touch up the current model and make new CSPs, but I haven't decided yet.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Either one is fine for me. The credits in the OP mention both models, so I was wondering if you had both models rigged already. Classic it is then, with the possibility of modern showing up later.

sparkywaffles

Smash Rookie
Either one is fine for me. The credits in the OP mention both models, so I was wondering if you had both models rigged already. Classic it is then, with the possibility of modern showing up later.
The Bomberman in the CSPs is actually a photoshopped image made to look like a CSP from Smash 4, it's not a whole model. It was made by Artsy Omni, the same guy behind that infamous Rayman leak. You can find his channel here if you want to see his other "what if" smash stuff.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
The Bomberman in the CSPs is actually a photoshopped image made to look like a CSP from Smash 4, it's not a whole model. It was made by Artsy Omni, the same guy behind that infamous Rayman leak. You can find his channel here if you want to see his other "what if" smash stuff.
I actually have a model based on the Artsy Omni Bomberman, so it'll work once I find the time to rig it lol.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Can you make the bombs disappear on contact on some of these moves? Like FSmash or UTilt. It looks weird, you see the explosion but the bomb is still on his hand. It's specially weird on the Side Smash. And I'm still not convinced with that DAir. The UpB mechanic is pretty unique, but it almost forces you to always have a charged bomb, good thing it doesn't reset if you get hit while charging. The bombs are really strong now, killing Falco at around 55%, but it has multiple uses, so you have to think if you want to throw it or save it.
This always happens on shield break or with the Deku Nut:

I'll say more when I get the time to play with someone else. Merry Christmas!

ymtah

Smash Cadet
i haven't tested yet (merry christmas) but the bomb used in smash animations not disappearing on contact doesnt sound as though to be too big a deal. In addition to the fact it maintains the clarity of where the hitboxes are, which could be important in certain scenarios such as doubles or for example hitting a peach's turnip while the move's hitboxes are active after just having hit her, Link's bomb has its own mechanic that deals mild fiery damage to an enemy without the bomb disappearing, so the design is not totally baseless. But, I haven't seen it for myself ye,t so these (in)observations could be without grounds.

edit: the bomb choice deal actually sounds pretty cool, though. it might be too easy to hit an enemy with the bomb, making it a safe gamble, but since i would imagine it still takes a long ass time to charge the bomb and not having the bomb at all really makes your recovery suck(? havent seen yet), i dont know how it'll work out. It sounds as though bomb charge will be almost uniquely determinate of bomberman's momentum; the extremes of which in their current states of tuning make or break the character respectively. More actual admissible feedback once I see for myself

Last edited:

Megakoopax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Supermario196
3DS FC
2320-6609-3767
I can't wait to see this, Bomberman is one of my favorite gaming series and it's a shame that it doesn't get any representation in smash.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
FYI, I'm going on vacation tomorrow, and I won't be back for a week. When I get back, though, I can promise that there'll be some awesome news... ;)

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
Was there a download link that I missed? I'm seeing all these screenshots and would love to test bomberman for myself.

ymtah

Smash Cadet
Link to latest changelist - straight copypaste until i update the frame data at the bottom

Ok, finally got round to setting it up. First impressions, as they come:

• He immediately feels much faster and more combat-viable. The Nair, Uair and Dtilt changes alone have sped him up considerably.
  • The Nair and Uair changes are so good. He looks as though to be decent in the air.
  • Dtilt now allows you to position yourself for a follow-up much sooner, making the move a solid choice in many situations.
  • This probably isn't new, but his Dsmash slides even farther when used in crawl instead of just in crouch, which makes for some interesting (but difficult to pull off intentionally) spacing mixups. Especially useful when cancelling run into a Dsmash with crouch.
  • An alternative solution to people's qualms with Fsmash's bomb sticking around even after contact with an enemy might be to have the bomb maintain some minor fiery hitboxes—similar to the non-explosion hitboxes Link's bombs have—after the move's primary hitboxes have concluded, until the bomb disappears. This may also apply to Utilt and perhaps Nair.
  • Up B is a lot better, but still feels weak compared to the recovery potential of the majority of the cast
  • My initial comments on the neutral b:up b functionality were uninformed; they accorded to the idea that using up did not expend neutral b charge. Since it does, the mechanic is closer a gimmick than a solid option. It's a great idea; it just needs some tuning. More on this as it comes to me (i am distracted)
  • WIP

Last edited:

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
FYI, I'm going on vacation tomorrow, and I won't be back for a week. When I get back, though, I can promise that there'll be some awesome news... ;)
I really like how someone like what you've got so far on this, keep up the good work :cool:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
It's killing me that we can't test this yet... It looks so good! Just a question though, will the download release replace luigi, or will it add a slot for bomberman?
In due time, there will be a public release :)

He will be configured for use with BrawlEX in the public beta download

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
In due time, there will be a public release :)

He will be configured for use with BrawlEX in the public beta download
So BrawlEX with project m? Does that mean we can use the system to add in other clones, (IE Ridley, Waluigi etc.)?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
So BrawlEX with project m? Does that mean we can use the system to add in other clones, (IE Ridley, Waluigi etc.)?
Yes, that is correct. The Bomberman download will not include the BrawlEX+PM system, but it will contain all of the relevant config files. You'll be able to download the full system separately elsewhere.

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
Yes, that is correct. The Bomberman download will not include the BrawlEX+PM system, but it will contain all of the relevant config files. You'll be able to download the full system separately elsewhere.
Are you a brawl modding god? Also, does that mean when bomberman is ready (relatively soon, right?) that the brawlex and PM system will be released then?

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Are you a brawl modding god? Also, does that mean when bomberman is ready (relatively soon, right?) that the brawlex and PM system will be released then?
BrawlEX+PM will be released before Bomberman's public release if I don't find any more horrific glitches. I thought that it'd be ready two weeks ago, but I discovered some hideous stuff with Kirby and the PT Pokemon that I had to address.

Last edited:

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Bomberman and I read all of what you guys said but say I don't want to use BrawlEx+PM and just want to replace a character who is Bomberman on is it Luigi? Or someone else and will I be able to use your P+P rel's for PM to put him on someone else?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Bomberman and I read all of what you guys said but say I don't want to use BrawlEx+PM and just want to replace a character who is Bomberman on is it Luigi? Or someone else and will I be able to use your P+P rel's for PM to put him on someone else?
Yes, I'll make a standard P+P .REL as well for Luigi, although I can't promise when that'll be ready, since I'm swamped with Zero Suit Samus at the moment.
Just a question, would you ever consider doing a Mallow PSA?
Maybe, but that would take place after Banjo if I do it. Honestly I'd be more inclined to redo Geno to fit PM's mechanics.

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I'll make a standard P+P .REL as well for Luigi, although I can't promise when that'll be ready, since I'm swamped with Zero Suit Samus at the moment.

Maybe, but that would take place after Banjo if I do it. Honestly I'd be more inclined to redo Geno to fit PM's mechanics.
But Mallow has no love and Geno has all the love. Seriously though, I like Geno more and would like him with PM physics over Mallow. Would still like Mallow though.

Top Bottom