• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman for Project M

Who should I port the Beta Version over?

• Lucas

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Olimar

Votes: 75 43.9%
  • R.O.B

Votes: 29 17.0%
  • Toon Link

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Jigglypuff

Votes: 26 15.2%

• Total voters

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman

The White Bomber finally enters the cast of the most successful Brawl Mod ever! Bomberman, the iconic Hudson
Soft mascot, blasts his way past the competition with fully functional true bombs, like Toon Link's and Link's bombs. His moveset draws heavy influence from his Bomberman 64 incarnation, featuring his famous "pump" charged bombs and his nostalgic sound effects. This PSA, when released in its final iteration, will also include a handy program that will generate gecko codes and patch the ft_bomberman.rel to work over any non-transforming character in the cast - porting has never been easier!

Overall Progress: 70%
Todo:
  • Tighten up various animations
  • Make Results Screen Emblem - NOW COMPLETED
  • Implement multi-level charge for Neutral B - NOW COMPLETED
  • Create new Down B - NOW COMPLETED
  • Make .sawnd soundbank - 75% completed (I need to increase the sound volume)
  • Finish Final Smash - NOW COMPLETED

Moveset (Will add pictures and descriptions soon!):
Grounded:

:GCA::GCA::GCA: - Punch-Punch-Kick Combo
:GCR::GCA: - Roundhouse
:GCD::GCA: - Slide
:GCU::GCA: - High Roundhouse

Smash:

:GCCR: - Slugger Swing
:GCCD: - Multi Detonate
:GCCU:- Blazing Upper

Aerial:

:GCA: - Bomber Tornado
:GCR::GCA: - Leaping Crane Kick
:GCD::GCA: - Buster Dive
:GCU::GCA: - Skull Bash
:GCL::GCA: - Nova Kick

Special:
:GCB: - Pump Bomb
:GCR::GCB: - Bomber Rush
:GCD::GCB: - Bomb Drop
:GCU::GCB: - Burst Flight

Final Smash:
Super (Red) Bomb Blitz
Screenshots:

Videos
Download
Coming Soon (at 75%)!

Credits:
Snoopy, Nah - Classic Bomberman (Default) Model
Nibroc - Model (for the Modern Version), Stock Icons, CSPs
JudgeSpear - .sawnd help
SiLeNtDo0m, KTH - Animation bases for a handful of attacks
Themaziest - Victory Fanfare

Want to help? Send me a private message or post suggestions here!

I hope you enjoy this mod![/MEDIA][/spoiler]

Last edited:

DualX

Smash Apprentice
I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen a mod like this sooner. This looks very well made so far and I can't wait to see him in action. I did notice he was missing a back aerial move on your movelist.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen a mod like this sooner. This looks very well made so far and I can't wait to see him in action. I did notice he was missing a back aerial move on your movelist.
Nice catch, I just updated the OP, and expect videos later today!

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to @themaziest, Bomberman now has an awesome victory theme!

In other news, it appears that Luigi and Lucario have similar article layouts in their modules, so I might be able to modify Luigi's fireball to operate like Lucario's aura sphere. Since Bomberman's pump bomb has multiple charge levels in Bomberman 64, this PSA will need a multi-level charged projectile; luigi's fireball doesn't work this way by default, so some heavy modification will be necessary.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
So, I've run into a bit of a snag with my copy of 3DSMax, and the results screen logo seems to be incompatible with Brawl. I originally made the model in Blender and I tried to convert it back into a .dae with 3DSMax. My copy also refuses to open any .daes exported from brawlbox. If someone knows how fix this issue, I would really appreciate it.

Here are links to the .blend, .dae, .mtl and .obj files:
.blend: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0oYSjXGcv3WNUJTQ0ZoUFE1VDA
.dae: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0oYSjXGcv3Wb2lXcVE1WmluTnM
.mtl: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0oYSjXGcv3WaHJQamQyZnRjWGM
.obj: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0oYSjXGcv3WTFp4bHZYUm1wNEE

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I just noticed that the CSS Preview in the OP has a completely filled out 5th row...

Also how's your issue with 3DS Max coming along?

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed that the CSS Preview in the OP has a completely filled out 5th row...

Also how's your issue with 3DS Max coming along?
I got it working ;) Bomberman now has a victory screen emblem! windhunter7 over on KC:MM managed to help me salvage the considerable amount of work I had done in blender, and I finished it in 3DSMax.

LawProto

Smash Rookie
Wow, this seems pretty impressive so far!
Just out of curiosity, are you planning on using some of Bomberman Hero's sfx for the final soundbank?

And also, are you trying to combine this project with your "WIP alloy pseudo-clone engine"?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this seems pretty impressive so far!
Just out of curiosity, are you planning on using some of Bomberman Hero's sfx for the final soundbank?

And also, are you trying to combine this project with your "WIP alloy pseudo-clone engine"?
You know, I haven't thought much about the soundbank yet. My bias towards Bomberman 64 leads me to 1997-era sounds, but I'm open to suggestions. Besides, I don't know if Bomberman 64 has enough unique sounds for a fighter. I'll take a look at the Bomberman Hero sfx and I very well might use it.

As for the last point, yes, that is the plan! I might end up releasing this PSA first though. The pseudo-clone engine has almost been finished, but it's quite buggy right now. It currently suffers from two massive glitches (as opposed to twenty massive glitches) which require more effort than merely patching out flags in Brawl's RAM. One of them is the fact that Alloy slots ignore the MotionEtc loading function entirely, since they load their AI data differently than other characters. The second, and perhaps the most difficult to fix, issue arises when you select and deselect an alloy slot repeatedly. After 6 or so deselections, the game will crash due to a lack of free memory. Alloy slots do NOT free their memory after deselection, because the game never intended for them to appear on the CSS. Once those two issues are fixed, I'll have to playtest the slots to make sure that their result data is allocated properly after battles.

DualX

Smash Apprentice
Between Ridley, Dark Samus, and Bomberman, I am super pumped for the future of Project M. I am curious if the dev team has considered putting these works into future builds along with the other previously rumored characters.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Between Ridley, Dark Samus, and Bomberman, I am super pumped for the future of Project M. I am curious if the dev team has considered putting these works into future builds along with the other previously rumored characters.
It'd be awesome if they did, but they take into account so many different factors in their selections. I don't know what qualities they're looking for in whom they pick, but there'll be a way to include those three characters in your build soon if the PMDT doesn't pick them ;)

DualX

Smash Apprentice
If you guys can do that in a way that makes them their own selectable character without getting rid of another then I'm sold.

Juken

Smash Ace
Looking forward to it, but I have to ask. What's with the upper body part of Bomberman? The blue looks darker up there than the rest of his clothes? Is it a model issue from removing the scarf?

Also, I like how you gave Bomberman his canon colors. If Nintendo were to add Bomberman to Smash, they'd probably just give him the red scarf and then change the color of that for his alt costumes.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Looking forward to it, but I have to ask. What's with the upper body part of Bomberman? The blue looks darker up there than the rest of his clothes? Is it a model issue from removing the scarf?

Also, I like how you gave Bomberman his canon colors. If Nintendo were to add Bomberman to Smash, they'd probably just give him the red scarf and then change the color of that for his alt costumes.
I think it's a shading issue; I'll look into it, but ultimately the scarfless version will be an alt, so I'm spending more time on the scarf-wearing model. Hopefully I'll be done with that rigged version soon.

If you guys can do that in a way that makes them their own selectable character without getting rid of another then I'm sold.
the Alloy engine will take care of that (assuming you don't enjoy playing the multi-man brawls)

Juken

Smash Ace
OP's been updated with a video showing Bomberman on the result screen!

That is both almost inaudible and very laggy... But at the same time, it's just showing him in the results screen, no new music or anything. If you need someone to make a less laggy video for you with better sound , you can send me your bomberman build once it's done and I can do it and send it to you.

Also, if you need any ideas for his victory pose animations, here's one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8veP7T8ozc

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
That is both almost inaudible and very laggy... But at the same time, it's just showing him in the results screen, no new music or anything. If you need someone to make a less laggy video for you with better sound , you can send me your bomberman build once it's done and I can do it and send it to you.

Also, if you need any ideas for his victory pose animations, here's one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8veP7T8ozc
Yeah, it was the best I could do at the time haha. I'll keep your offer in mind in the future! And as for the victory animation, that's a great idea! It'll definitely find its way into the character.

ymtah

Smash Cadet
Do you have a fixed idea for how big his bombs' blast radii will be? Ostensibly the pump bomb's explosion will grow as it charges, but will there be any other variation? How will their size(s) compare to Toon/Links', Snake's, Bob-ombs, etc? Will their timers vary? How will they compare?

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Do you have a fixed idea for how big his bombs' blast radii will be? Ostensibly the pump bomb's explosion will grow as it charges, but will there be any other variation? How will their size(s) compare to Toon/Links', Snake's, Bob-ombs, etc? Will their timers vary? How will they compare?
Good question. The pump bomb will grow as it charges, with the max covering about 1.5x the size of Link's blast radius. The timers for the ordinary dropped bombs will be about 2/3x the time of toon link's bomb timer. Sometime this weekend I hope to have screenshots illustrating these properties.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
The pump bomb is becoming a pain to deal with, it seems. I'd rather not scrap the move, but instead create another cloned item that will act as the giant bomb.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
It's more of an issue of it taking too long rather than it being difficult. I'd really like to get a beta version released soon.

ymtah

Smash Cadet
would it be viable to postpone development of the move until after a beta version has been released? or as you said use a custom item workaround as a placeholder which is prob what you meant in the first place

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
would it be viable to postpone development of the move until after a beta version has been released? or as you said use a custom item workaround as a placeholder which is prob what you meant in the first place
I actually hit a breakthrough, and I'm in the process of moving the aura sphere to replace Luigi's fireball!

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
While I'm in the process of debugging the aura sphere (the destructor and instantiate functions are a pain!), I finished up Bomberman's recovery, the Burst Flight!

The move has a powerful explosion hitbox at the position where Bomberman begins his ascent, which disappears after 2 frames. It's a horizontal recovery with a slight upward (37 deg, roughtly) angle. You can do some interesting mixups with it as well.
:GCU::GCB::GCR: - Sends Bomberman flying forward with little vertical boost
:GCU::GCB::GCL: - Launches Bomberman upwards, but barely sends him forwards

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
While I'm in the process of debugging the aura sphere (the destructor and instantiate functions are a pain!), I finished up Bomberman's recovery, the Burst Flight!

The move has a powerful explosion hitbox at the position where Bomberman begins his ascent, which disappears after 2 frames. It's a horizontal recovery with a slight upward (37 deg, roughtly) angle. You can do some interesting mixups with it as well.
:GCU::GCB::GCR: - Sends Bomberman flying forward with little vertical boost
:GCU::GCB::GCL: - Launches Bomberman upwards, but barely sends him forwards
Nice! Ill wait for what ever time you need to finish the beta. Nice work!

Juken

Smash Ace
If he's using Lucario's aura sphere, does that mean Lucario will have bombs as his aura sphere as well?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
If he's using Lucario's aura sphere, does that mean Lucario will have bombs as his aura sphere as well?
Not exactly. Think of it like Mewtwo's Shadow Ball - it uses the same functions (e.g. charging and such), but it has different cosmetic qualities and damage values. I'm redirecting the functions that tell the game to build luigi's fireball object to point to the functions that build an aura sphere object. Currently, the stumbling block is the fact that no one's ever tried to add new actions or subactions to articles, although I have an idea as to how one would do that.

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
Where'd you get the bomber man name in the OP?

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
Where/how can I make these? I really want to make silver and deadpool names.

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
thanks m8, can't wait for release

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Bomberman's Side-B, the Bomber Rush, has been finished!

On the ground, Bomberman dashes forward towards his opponent, inflicting fire damage proportional to the amount of time he charges the attack. His horizontal displacement also depends directly on the charge time.

In the air, however, the move has a special property:
http://gfycat.com/ReasonableEnergeticAiredale
After the spinning attack animation ends, you have the ability to jump cancel the endlag of the move if you still have a jump remaining. From there, you can use your Up-B recovery to make it back on the stage. The jump cancel property also applies if you collide with an opponent, allowing for powerful mixups and combos!

Top Bottom