• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman for Project M

Who should I port the Beta Version over?

• Lucas

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Olimar

Votes: 75 43.9%
  • R.O.B

Votes: 29 17.0%
  • Toon Link

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Jigglypuff

Votes: 26 15.2%

• Total voters

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
In the OP, in the download section, does at 75% mean when bomber man is 75% complete or the download's at 75%?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
In the OP, in the download section, does at 75% mean when bomber man is 75% complete or the download's at 75%?
"At 75%" means that I'll release the beta when Bomberman is 75% finished. He's getting closer to that point every day, so there'll be a download relatively soon.

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
Do you guys just want me to send you the link to the silver and deadpool name download he gave me? If it's ok with PyotrLuzhin PyotrLuzhin , of course.

ymtah

Smash Cadet
lookin real solid. where are the hitboxes on the move? how powerful/clankable are they? at what angle to they send an opponent, and how far? for followups

edit: i also figure the grounded version may have its endlag cancelled with a jump in the same fashion? unless im misinterpreting how the move works

whose weight and fall speed is he using? he looks to be on the (super) floatier side

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
lookin real solid. where are the hitboxes on the move? how powerful/clankable are they? at what angle to they send an opponent, and how far? for followups

edit: i also figure the grounded version may have its endlag cancelled with a jump in the same fashion? unless im misinterpreting how the move works

whose weight and fall speed is he using? he looks to be on the (super) floatier side
All good questions! Thanks to a suggestion by McMarth, Bomberman's fall speed is now closer to falcon's speed, since he's never been floaty in any of his 3D game incarnations. The floatiness was a vestigial trait of his base, Luigi. On the ground, Bomberman's hitboxes cover his head and torso, as illustrated by this image:

The Bomber Rush currently sends the opponent flying at the Sakurai angle (361), but I need to do more testing to see if such an angle's effective for followups. The move doesn't currently have any bone invincibility or anything, but it does clank afaik. Both the grounded version and the aerial version have a base damage of 10 at the moment.

The hitboxes in the air cover the majority of his body, and I plan to fully center it soon:

Last edited:

Zerkanator

Smash Rookie
NNID
Iansonicraft
3DS FC
3351-4072-6823
Switch FC
4539-7670-9498
I suggest that your next possible Project M PSAs should be Banjo Kazooie (There is no PSA surprisingly), Shantae, Shovel Knight, Young Link, or Pichu. I hope you at least consider these characters.

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
Greninja would be nice, actually

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I suggest that your next possible Project M PSAs should be Banjo Kazooie (There is no PSA surprisingly), Shantae, Shovel Knight, Young Link, or Pichu. I hope you at least consider these characters.
Hmmm.... Unless someone makes a good model for Banjo, I don't think that it'll happen. I don't care too much for Shantae, and I know nothing about Shovel Knight tbh. Young Link and Pichu are Melee veterans, and I'd rather work on characters that haven't been done before. The only one in that list I'd do is Banjo, but even that's not super likely (unless someone makes a better model). I've thought about Rayman, actually, but I won't work on him until Bomberman's done.
Greninja would be nice, actually
Yeeeeah someone's already doing that, and I don't have much of an interest in the character.
What lovely feedback you two gave to him involving his current PSA effort, Bomberman.
Haha I'm going to have to second you on that sentiment. Let's try to keep the discussion on Bomberman, shall we? lol

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
What games did you rip bomberman's voice clips from? Or is that still wip?

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
I honestly never played bomberman, so I wouldn't know.

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
Might I suggest Bomberman Generations and/or Bomberman Jetters (both gamecube) for his voice? Same voice for both, and I think this voice actress would be the most recognized one :)

Great work on Bomberman so far! you work really fast haha.

Last edited:

LawProto

Smash Rookie
PyotrLuzhin PyotrLuzhin
Actually Bomberman was like SUPER floaty in Bomberman Hero (N64).
Don't know any other of his 3D games, though: which game are you referring when you say "he's never been floaty in any of his 3D incarnations"?
I'm not trying to be rude, just curious really...

McMarth

Smash Cadet
PyotrLuzhin PyotrLuzhin
Don't know any other of his 3D games, though: which game are you referring when you say "he's never been floaty in any of his 3D incarnations"?
LawProto LawProto
Excellent point. It is true that he is pretty floaty in BH 64, but I would argue for keeping him as a faster faller. In Bomberman 64, he falls like a brick when dropping from ledges.

Project M is already comprised of a large majority of floaty characters, as demonstrated by Cazcom's image posted on the PM subreddit (x-axis is weight and y-axis is fall speed):
https://i.imgur.com/zoNZgW0.jpg
And giving Bomberman Luigi's floaty fall speed while also giving him the current dair would mean Bomberman gets all of the benefits of a floaty character, but also a quick way to return to the stage.
I am very interested in seeing some game footage and/or get a chance to play the beta with the current falcon-esque fall speed.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Might I suggest Bomberman Generations and/or Bomberman Jetters (both gamecube) for his voice? Same voice for both, and I think this voice actress would be the most recognized one :)

Great work on Bomberman so far! you work really fast haha.
Thanks! I'll check to see if I can easily download soundpacks from those games, and also to see if I like the voice actress haha.
PyotrLuzhin PyotrLuzhin
Well, that's a fair point. I was referring to the Bomberman 64 series games, and I didn't really consider the others. However, for balancing reasons, he's a fastfaller for now.
LawProto LawProto
Excellent point. It is true that he is pretty floaty in BH 64, but I would argue for keeping him as a faster faller. In Bomberman 64, he falls like a brick when dropping from ledges.

Project M is already comprised of a large majority of floaty characters, as demonstrated by Cazcom's image posted on the PM subreddit (x-axis is weight and y-axis is fall speed):
And giving Bomberman Luigi's floaty fall speed while also giving him the current dair would mean Bomberman gets all of the benefits of a floaty character, but also a quick way to return to the stage.
I am very interested in seeing some game footage and/or get a chance to play the beta with the current falcon-esque fall speed.
Hopefully I'll have a good recording solution soon so that I can show off his new attributes!

Here's an idea of where he is relative to other characters:

Last edited:

McMarth

Smash Cadet
Woah! He's heavier than I thought, but I guess he might need to be in order to survive with his fall speed and recovery.
Very interesting! :)

For a down throw, I think it'd be neat if Bomberrman threw the enemy down and then kicked them, causing them to slide a ways. I know he does this (except with a bomb) for his down b, but I still think it could be neat. Plus, maybe it could do a really weak meteor if done at the edge of a stage. Just an idea.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Woah! He's heavier than I thought, but I guess he might need to be in order to survive with his fall speed and recovery.
Very interesting! :)

For a down throw, I think it'd be neat if Bomberrman threw the enemy down and then kicked them, causing them to slide a ways. I know he does this (except with a bomb) for his down b, but I still think it could be neat. Plus, maybe it could do a really weak meteor if done at the edge of a stage. Just an idea.
I may have been looking into something like this already... I need to hold on to some surprises haha ;)

LawProto

Smash Rookie

Well, that's a fair point. I was referring to the Bomberman 64 series games, and I didn't really consider the others. However, for balancing reasons, he's a fastfaller for now.
Well, I think your reasons are pretty solid, actually: I myself would privilege balance and gameplay novelty over nostalgia factor of just one particular game. I must be feeling a little biased because of my infancy...

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Well, I think your reasons are pretty solid, actually: I myself would privilege balance and gameplay novelty over nostalgia factor of just one particular game. I must be feeling a little biased because of my infancy...
Haha that's understandable! Gameplay balance is vital to this PSA, so factors such as Bomberman's weight relative to the rest of the cast need to be taken into careful consideration.

In other news, I've made a pretty huge discovery...
Now, you might be wondering what Samus's charge shot has to do with Bomberman. It means that I've figured out a way to reliably access unused LA-Basic variables in articles, which addresses an issue I was having with Bomberman and Lucario's Aura Sphere. Since Lucario's Aura Sphere object is larger than Luigi's fireball, I was only able to code the special to load one bomb into memory, since objects can't overlap in memory. With this method, it looks like I'll be able to give Luigi's fireball a persisent charge WITHOUT having to mess around with his module anymore! Hooray!

Juken

Smash Ace
Haha that's understandable! Gameplay balance is vital to this PSA, so factors such as Bomberman's weight relative to the rest of the cast need to be taken into careful consideration.

In other news, I've made a pretty huge discovery...
Now, you might be wondering what Samus's charge shot has to do with Bomberman. It means that I've figured out a way to reliably access unused LA-Basic variables in articles, which addresses an issue I was having with Bomberman and Lucario's Aura Sphere. Since Lucario's Aura Sphere object is larger than Luigi's fireball, I was only able to code the special to load one bomb into memory, since objects can't overlap in memory. With this method, it looks like I'll be able to give Luigi's fireball a persisent charge WITHOUT having to mess around with his module anymore! Hooray!
I don't understand a word you just said, but I will like it for the sake of progress!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Hey, I'm interested in playing this PSA when it releases, so I'm gonna post here to keep up with the thread.

ymtah

Smash Cadet
Oh, I've been forgetting to ask/check if it's already been mentioned: how is the pump bomb going to be delivered, as a projectile? Will it become a thrown item like Link's, and adhere to throw physics, or will it be 'projected' like Luigi's fireball or Lucario's aura sphere, and adhere to their alternate pathing? Figure it's worth asking even if it has been implied elsewhere, that a more definitive answer may quantifiably be given.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I've been forgetting to ask/check if it's already been mentioned: how is the pump bomb going to be delivered, as a projectile? Will it become a thrown item like Link's, and adhere to throw physics, or will it be 'projected' like Luigi's fireball or Lucario's aura sphere, and adhere to their alternate pathing? Figure it's worth asking even if it has been implied elsewhere, that a more definitive answer may quantifiably be given.
The current plan is to give Bomberman two different bombs - one that behaves like Link's bomb, and one that behaves more like Mario's fireball. The only difference with respect to gameplay between the two projectiles is that the Pump Bomb can't be caught.

ymtah

Smash Cadet
But it follows the same path as a thrown item? that is, it drops as it travels at the same speed as an item, can be power-thrown, etc?

Or will it travel more slowly in short arcs at a predetermined speed, like Mario's fireballs? Or straight and fast like lasers, etc etc?

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
But it follows the same path as a thrown item? that is, it drops as it travels at the same speed as an item, can be power-thrown, etc?

Or will it travel more slowly in short arcs at a predetermined speed, like Mario's fireballs? Or straight and fast like lasers, etc etc?
I don't believe I'll be able to give it a power-throw quality, but I'm planning to make it as similar to his item-based bomb as possible. I haven't finished coding it yet, but I can tell you that it won't behave like mario's fireball or the spacies' lasers haha

ymtah

Smash Cadet
Haha, yeah, they were just examples of projectiles with alternate pathing to aid in the articulation of my question.

So can you not have the pump bomb turn into a held item in Bomberman's hand at the end of the charge period, then de-flag 'holdability' once thrown? Sort of like how electrode turns into a throwable item right before it blows up, but in reverse? Or am I, in my unequivocal leymanship, misinterpreting how this works?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Haha, yeah, they were just examples of projectiles with alternate pathing to aid in the articulation of my question.

So can you not have the pump bomb turn into a held item in Bomberman's hand at the end of the charge period, then de-flag 'holdability' once thrown? Sort of like how electrode turns into a throwable item right before it blows up, but in reverse? Or am I, in my unequivocal leymanship, misinterpreting how this works?
I have never looked at Electrode's coding, but I'm pretty sure that an article can't acquire those properties (although that IS a really cool idea).

ymtah

Smash Cadet
dang he looks super slidy. whats his wavedash distance? and jump squat i guess. if he still has luigis lack of traction but is now a fastfaller thatd be hilarious

and also something id definitely like to play

assuming this is raw idea execution without any tuning (and especially since its too early to tell whether a fast or slow projectile would benefit his combat potential), the move looks super solid

drogoth232

Smash Lord
So you replaced the module info for Luigi with lucarios aura sphere thing? I remember you mentioned it earlier in the thread. That's pretty cool!

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
dang he looks super slidy. whats his wavedash distance? and jump squat i guess. if he still has luigis lack of traction but is now a fastfaller thatd be hilarious

and also something id definitely like to play

assuming this is raw idea execution without any tuning (and especially since its too early to tell whether a fast or slow projectile would benefit his combat potential), the move looks super solid
Lol he's unique, that's for sure. I'll make a video this weekend demonstrating some ATs with Bomberman, such as his dashdance, wavedash distance, and some Bomberman-specific techs I've discovered while testing him.

Soon, I'll be looking for beta testers, so if you're interested in playing the beta, answer the following questions in a post on this thread (there are really only two lol):

1. How well can you perform ATs such as dashdancing, wavedashing, etc.?
2. What kind of recording equipment/streaming equipment do you have?
So you replaced the module info for Luigi with lucarios aura sphere thing? I remember you mentioned it earlier in the thread. That's pretty cool!
Thanks! I finished it the module way, but I realized that my modifications to Luigi's module pointing to LucarioTransactor and (especially) WnAuraBaullParamAccesser may not work with BrawlEX because of possible offset differences. It would be a huuuuge pain to try to make both a P+P module and an EXModule for Bomberman with those kinds of modifications. It also had some weird GFX glitches (I had to edit his REFF quite a bit) that I'll iron out later.

Even so, since it will be helpful for those interested in article porting, I'll release an explanation of how I got it to work (both with modules and without modules, because there is a PSA method that requires no knowledge of ppc asm or sora_melee.rel functions) once Bomberman's finished. I'm in the process of switching his DownB function with Diddy's Banana throwing function, and I'm not even sure if that will work with BrawlEX lol.

If all goes according to plan, I should have a good model for Banjo soon, so that request might just become a reality ;)

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Thanks! I finished it the module way, but I realized that my modifications to Luigi's module pointing to LucarioTransactor and (especially) WnAuraBaullParamAccesser may not work with BrawlEX because of possible offset differences. It would be a huuuuge pain to try to make both a P+P module and an EXModule for Bomberman with those kinds of modifications. It also had some weird GFX glitches (I had to edit his REFF quite a bit) that I'll iron out later.

Even so, since it will be helpful for those interested in article porting, I'll release an explanation of how I got it to work (both with modules and without modules, because there is a PSA method that requires no knowledge of ppc asm or sora_melee.rel functions) once Bomberman's finished. I'm in the process of switching his DownB function with Diddy's Banana throwing function, and I'm not even sure if that will work with BrawlEX lol.
This will be super useful to so many people. Props for pulling it off, even with the problems it gave you!

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I hate to cut in and not give any fruitful advice, but I do hope you eventually get around to making an Ex module for your Bomberman. The professionalism of the character himself, the work you've done on him and you are doing, it's all enough for me to more than certainly want to play as him. I and a bunch of other Ex users would likely want to include him in our games. I dunno how else to express the fondness I have for this mod specifically, but I really really like it.

Of course if it's a huge pain, by all means you have zero obligation to make a module. I'll wind up trying him out over Luigi anyways. c:

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: OH, I almost forgot the beta testing thing.

1. I'm decent at ATs? I'm actually not the best person for this, whoops
2. I've no good quality recording equipment sadly. :c

Do with that info what you will.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I hate to cut in and not give any fruitful advice, but I do hope you eventually get around to making an Ex module for your Bomberman. The professionalism of the character himself, the work you've done on him and you are doing, it's all enough for me to more than certainly want to play as him. I and a bunch of other Ex users would likely want to include him in our games. I dunno how else to express the fondness I have for this mod specifically, but I really really like it.

Of course if it's a huge pain, by all means you have zero obligation to make a module. I'll wind up trying him out over Luigi anyways. c:

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: OH, I almost forgot the beta testing thing.

1. I'm decent at ATs? I'm actually not the best person for this, whoops
2. I've no good quality recording equipment sadly. :c

Do with that info what you will.
Oh, I totally will make an EXModule! It'll be included with the final version. The beta version, however, will be over Jigglypuff, and it will contain a hardcoded module and gecko codes to stabilize him. I'm glad that you enjoy this mod so much! You will of course be considered for the testing role. I'm looking for roughly 10-15 people, and at least two need to have recording equipment (because mine isn't that great haha).

McMarth

Smash Cadet
We talked a while ago. But I thought I'd answer the questions just in case.

1. I'm pretty good with ATs
2. I will hopefully have some decent gear for recording soon. :)

Top Bottom