• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman for Project M

Who should I port the Beta Version over?

• Lucas

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Olimar

Votes: 75 43.9%
  • R.O.B

Votes: 29 17.0%
  • Toon Link

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Jigglypuff

Votes: 26 15.2%

• Total voters

ymtah

Smash Cadet
1. I can consistently perform basic advanced techniques. Still working on particulars like needle turnarounds/waveshines etc since I haven't been playing comp-style for long and don't play with people often (and don't play fox)

2. I have a HD PVR 1 and sufficient setup to use it, though it would be on a non-crt/gaming monitor setup

My question to you: What would be required of a beta tester?

NXero

Smash Apprentice
I thought this was going to be a public beta, but...

1. I know about DD, WD, DJC, etc. but I don't wavedash that often
2. No video recording equipment at all

What I can do is play with up to four other people who are pretty good with a variety of characters (Samus, Sonic, Ganondorf, Link, Sheik). I know that playing against the cpu doesn't provide good results. Conveniently no one here likes Jigglypuff.

Warning! I'm quite pushy with changes when I find an easily exploitable move that has the potential to overcentralize the character's playstyle, but I may end up ignoring it if everyone else is okay with it (but said character won't have a permanent spot in my build)

Edit: sign me up for Banjo too! Holy crap! It's happening!

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I thought this was going to be a public beta, but...

1. I know about DD, WD, DJC, etc. but I don't wavedash that often
2. No video recording equipment at all

What I can do is play with up to four other people who are pretty good with a variety of characters (Samus, Sonic, Ganondorf, Link, Sheik). I know that playing against the cpu doesn't provide good results. Conveniently no one here likes Jigglypuff.

Warning! I'm quite pushy with changes when I find an easily exploitable move that has the potential to overcentralize the character's playstyle, but I may end up ignoring it if everyone else is okay with it (but said character won't have a permanent spot in my build)

Edit: sign me up for Banjo too! Holy crap! It's happening!
I still plan to release a beta, but I don't have SFX ready. Instead of saying "release at 75%," I plan to change it to "release when SFX file is done.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
1. I learned how to wavedash recently.
2. I have Open Broadcasting Software. Decent stuff.

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
I can wavedash, and can record at 1080p, 60fps off of Dolphin.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Everyone who has responded so far (plus a few others) have been accepted to the beta test. I will send out the beta (with installation instructions) sometime this weekend (watch for PMs).

I'd also like to state that, despite the PMDT's decision to discontinue work on Project M, I plan to finish Bomberman and Banjo, and perhaps place them in a different mod I've already started. Some of you may or may not know, but I've been working on an SSB64 HD Remake behind the scenes, and both Bomberman and Banjo will be included. Now that Project M has ended, I will spend my time working on SSB64HD after these two mods have been completed.

shikamaru12

Smash Apprentice
Everyone who has responded so far (plus a few others) have been accepted to the beta test. I will send out the beta (with installation instructions) sometime this weekend (watch for PMs).

I'd also like to state that, despite the PMDT's decision to discontinue work on Project M, I plan to finish Bomberman and Banjo, and perhaps place them in a different mod I've already started. Some of you may or may not know, but I've been working on an SSB64 HD Remake behind the scenes, and both Bomberman and Banjo will be included. Now that Project M has ended, I will spend my time working on SSB64HD after these two mods have been completed.
You're a one man PMDT Pyotr.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Will you still try to get the clone engine working with PM?
Do you mean BeX or the PMDT's Super Secret Engine (tm)? Because the latter works perfectly, and the former is close!
You're a one man PMDT Pyotr.
Thanks! If anyone's interested in helping out with SSB64HD, let me know! It's quite the undertaking, and skilled animators will be needed later on down the line.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Do you mean BeX or the PMDT's Super Secret Engine (tm)? Because the latter works perfectly, and the former is close!

Thanks! If anyone's interested in helping out with SSB64HD, let me know! It's quite the undertaking, and skilled animators will be needed later on down the line.
So do you prefer working with the BeX engine or the PM engine. After the waterfall of info that came out today, I wanted to get a response from you. (since basically it's not quite hard to find the coding wizardry de-compiled now)

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
So do you prefer working with the BeX engine or the PM engine. After the waterfall of info that came out today, I wanted to get a response from you. (since basically it's not quite hard to find the coding wizardry de-compiled now)
well, I'm not sure how I feel about BeX yet... once I get it working I'll be able to give a better response. I think that, at least for what I'd like to do, I might not even need either. It's really only going to be SSB64 with HD graphics and a few extra characters.
I guess I was more referring to the Fighting Alloy Team thing of yours, unless BrawlEx can be made so that there's no glitches or other issues!
I'm still working on the Fighting Alloy Team; I took a break from it to work on BrawlEX, but I think I'll get back to it soon

Cahalan

Smash Ace
well, I'm not sure how I feel about BeX yet... once I get it working I'll be able to give a better response. I think that, at least for what I'd like to do, I might not even need either. It's really only going to be SSB64 with HD graphics and a few extra characters.
Makes sense though I was referring to the other thing. (you probably know what I'm referring to)

Though I understand if the other thing has to wait though, you may need the experience gained from SSB64HD before we can really get going.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Makes sense though I was referring to the other thing. (you probably know what I'm referring to)

Though I understand if the other thing has to wait though, you may need the experience gained from SSB64HD before we can really get going.
oh, trust me, I haven't forgotten. I ran into a couple unforeseen issues with it, but don't worry, I've been working on it. I actually have an idea to promote it that I'll pm you soon.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

I love you mang.

Can I get some of the beta test glory?

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
I ****in' love Bomberman. I'd be happy to get in on this beta test fest

...handsome

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
Can I be in beta testing? I'm decently okay at it. (probably) (maybe) (hopefuly)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'd love to help test your mod, but I must admit I don't have recording equipment.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Quick update: Bomberman's beta test release has been delayed slightly - The earliest his release will be is midnight tonight, but it'll be worth it. I've included some bonuses ;)

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
Quick update: Bomberman's beta test release has been delayed slightly - The earliest his release will be is midnight tonight, but it'll be worth it. I've included some bonuses ;)
Good thing I got Olimar ready to be modified. Its over Olimar right?

NXero

Smash Apprentice
I think I know what the surprise is, but I don't want to spoil it :p
I've been pretty busy, but I think I'll have time this week!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Looking forward to it! Le hype is real!

joseto58

Smash Rookie
ill like to test your amazing work aswell please, I play pm regurarly(on a semi-technical level) so i can give you input ;)
Edit: this post finally gave me a reason to make a profile :shyguy:

Last edited:

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Disclaimer: I'm still learning english AND I'm typing on a phone, so if something doesn't make sense tell me and I'll try to explain it better. Ignore obvious typos.
From a quick trip to training mode (10 minutes at most):

He needs a lot of work, I'm sure you know that though. The lack of sfx makes him appear more unfinished that he actually is.

Ub B has almost no reach, either vertically or horizontally, it can't really be used as a recovery, if Bomberman gets thrown at a downward angle he won't be able to recover most of the time, making him useless in a real battle.
Side B feels too weak, even at full charge. Wario has a similar move with no charge and it's more powerfull than Bomberman's.
Neutral B bombs are weak too, considering the angle in which they are thrown and the time it takes to charge them, they should be a LOT more powerful. I still don't have numbers though, I'll try him vs CPU and humans tomorrow.
DTilt has a really weird angle, at least at lower percents, it can't be followed up by anything and is only useful to get your opponent away from you.
UTilt's animation is intentional? It looks like a typical DTilt animation to me.
DAir should be a spike. It has a unique start up animation, making it easy to see what he's going to do, and if he fails to hit anyone offstage he's pretty much dead.
FAir feels weird , especially when trying to use it immediately after a jump. Maybe canceling the upwards momentum when using the move would make it better.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Disclaimer: I'm still learning english AND I'm typing on a phone, so if something doesn't make sense tell me and I'll try to explain it better. Ignore obvious typos.
From a quick trip to training mode (10 minutes at most):

He needs a lot of work, I'm sure you know that though. The lack of sfx makes him appear more unfinished that he actually is.

Ub B has almost no reach, either vertically or horizontally, it can't really be used as a recovery, if Bomberman gets thrown at a downward angle he won't be able to recover most of the time, making him useless in a real battle.
Side B feels too weak, even at full charge. Wario has a similar move with no charge and it's more powerfull than Bomberman's.
Neutral B bombs are weak too, considering the angle in which they are thrown and the time it takes to charge them, they should be a LOT more powerful. I still don't have numbers though, I'll try him vs CPU and humans tomorrow.
DTilt has a really weird angle, at least at lower percents, it can't be followed up by anything and is only useful to get your opponent away from you.
UTilt's animation is intentional? It looks like a typical DTilt animation to me.
DAir should be a spike. It has a unique start up animation, making it easy to see what he's going to do, and if he fails to hit anyone offstage he's pretty much dead.
FAir feels weird , especially when trying to use it immediately after a jump. Maybe canceling the upwards momentum when using the move would make it better.
Great stuff, thanks NXero! I´ll send an updated version around once finals are over for comparison´s sake. The DTilt is supposed to have that weird angle, but I plan to change the hitbox positioning to give the popup hit more priority.

Regarding the UTilt, if anyone could fix the UTilt animation, that would be incredible! I´ve been banging my head against a wall trying to fix it for a while now.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
I only tried him in training for a few minutes, so that may be a hasty decision. But yeah, most of his new moves feel weak, he's lacking a kill move. As I said, I'll test him properly tomorrow.

Last edited:

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
Is there room for another beta tester on here? :D
I'd like to say I'm decently good at PM, and I'll do my best to give feedback

Speon4

Smash Rookie
Is it possible that you have room for one more beta tester? Because I would love to test bomberman and I play project m everyday plus I'm on vacation that make it easy for me to take notes and give you some ideas. And I'm a fan of bomberman that's the main reason I want to test bomberman. Please let me test it too :c

Last edited:

NXero

Smash Apprentice
You dindn't answer my question in the conversation, so I'll post here.

He's a lot better than my initial impression suggested.
I only found one item glitch, the Deku Nut leaves him stuck to the ground, with only the head remaining on screen.
The usual PSA gliches (like Snake's Side B and Wario's Neutral B) are not present.
The CSPs don't match the model at all, I love the render you used for them, is there a model of that one available? Not only that, but selecting the green Bomberman in the CSS gives you the purple model, and selecting the purple one freezes the game after choosing a stage.
I can't open 3D models in BrawlVault after updating my PC for some reason, so I can't see what's wrong with the UTilt animation.

Suggested changes:

Increase the UpB vertical distance, that's the biggest problem right now.
Remove the special fall from SideB, similar to how luigi works. I know it can be cancelled, but only once if you have a jump left.
SideB feels good after further testing, but you should change the charging animation in the air a little, it's a 1:1 copy of Luigi's right now, even if it makes sense.
FAir hitbox should be lower, towards the center of Bomberman. It's too high now.
Increase Forward Smash range. If neccesary give him a bomb or something in his animation because his arms look too short.
NeutralB currently is even weaker than Samus' and takes longer to charge. Increase the knockback (not the damage) and make it equal or stronger than Samus'.
Reduce DAir startup duration, and either make it explode on contact with the opponent or meteor them. Maybe both? After that end the move and return Bomberman's his mobility
The rest of the moves that are still using Mario/Luigi's animations will be changed right? Like DownB.
Add more bombs everywhere! He's Bomberman!

ymtah

Smash Cadet
Yeah, most of his carried-over moves will be changed. I don't think anything is absolutely concrete yet, but Pyotr said Bair will likely remain a clone move. Throws will be original, as too will down-b be. Ftilt and whichever other moves are also clones I can not speak for.

You're probably correct about Fair benefiting from a lower hitbox. If Nair were to be changed that he be holding bombs as he spins (in a similar fashion to his proposed Fsmash change, which I also agree with), the higher angle would then be covered in turn.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
When I was using Bomberman for the first time I thought FAir was weird, stuff like shorthop FAir was really hard to do, but today I noticed the high kick. I haven't checked it, but if the hitbox comes out earlier he can keep the same animation and still hit in front of him.
And we need someplace to talk, either this thread or a group conversation. Yours is the first comment I see from other testers. Or are we the only ones who have tried him?

Last edited:

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
Alright tried him for the first time today, so here are my thoughts!

Overall Gameplay:
The current Bomberman is slow and his attacks don't do that much knockback. I use Bair a lot because it comes out quickly and can space well. I use the bomb a lot for spacing. I essentially play him like a clunkier Melee Doctor Mario with a worse recovery and no cape. But he is still in testing so there's that.
Bomberman's mobility isn't that great, so he might benefit from long-range options or an increase in power. I vote for the long-range options.

Thoughts on the moveset:
>Fsmash is a little on the short side. It's very difficult to land. I would suggest giving Bomberman his Boxing glove from the games to make his Fsmash bigger.
>U smash is pretty neato. Very close range. Maybe a little too close range. It's not that great of a killer, so I'm not sure when I'd use this.
>U-tilt looks awkward. I think it's just the first half of Sonic's utilt?
>His Up B isn't that great. Very short.
>Neutral B is one of his better moves. I can use it to space and snuff approaches like Mario's fireballs. There is a bug in which you use Neutral B in the air and hold a direction, Bomberman will still charge the bomb while he slides. It's pretty hilarious XD. I wish you could cancel the charge by pressing shield.
>Down air feels clunky. It might be better if he stayed in place while he spins midair before flying downward.
>Down Smash reminds me of PM Wario's. It has its uses.
>Wavedash speed and distance feel good. Feels similar to Mario's.
>Side B is fun to use. Good power and speed. I love that you can charge it and it goes pretty far. It's also his main recovery option since his Up B's bad. The animation for the grounded charge seems too static when compared to his aerial charge. I think Bomberman should vibrate like his aerial one. The pose is cool, though.
>Down tilt is interesting. It hits the opponent behind him and far away at that. Really good if you want to reset the distance and go back to projectiles. Very easy to punish with all that end lag.

Other ideas:
Right now Bomberman isn't canon to his official games. There's the pump bomb, but other than that there's nothing else.

Might I suggest that for Neutral B Bomberman can use his Power Glove ability like in Bomberman Generation to charge his bombs? He could hold it above his head and charge it. Maybe have a Skull Bomb for the fully charged one :D
I think for Neutral B you should be able to press down while charging to plant the bomb on the ground like in the games. Then you might be able to do a bomb kick, sliding the bomb along the ground to have a different trajectory from the bouncing bombs.

Perhaps let his Down B be his remote-controlled bombs, similar to Snake's Down B?

But really that fact that he still can be played to this extent is amazing. I don't know how you work this quickly Pyotr, but kudos to you.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Everyone's been giving phenomenal feedback, so great job! I will address every comment given and release a changelog sometime next week, given how busy I am with other real-life obligations.

Right now Bomberman isn't canon to his official games. There's the pump bomb, but other than that there's nothing else.

Might I suggest that for Neutral B Bomberman can use his Power Glove ability like in Bomberman Generation to charge his bombs? He could hold it above his head and charge it. Maybe have a Skull Bomb for the fully charged one :D
I think for Neutral B you should be able to press down while charging to plant the bomb on the ground like in the games. Then you might be able to do a bomb kick, sliding the bomb along the ground to have a different trajectory from the bouncing bombs.

Perhaps let his Down B be his remote-controlled bombs, similar to Snake's Down B?
Hmm... I can see the neutral B bomb plant ability being a difficult thing to implement, but I won't say it's impossible. Keep in mind too that many of his animations are placeholders, so the future neutral B animation will look like what you've proposed. I was thinking of that as the Down-B as well... Looks like I'll be digging around in Snake's module haha

ymtah

Smash Cadet
Can you invite NXero and whoever else needs it to the group message, Pyotr?

Top Bottom