• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bolstering the Melee community! A collaboration, come brainstorm!

Zodiac

Smash Master
What are peoples thoughts on holding melee only tournaments vs integrated tournaments? Which is the best option for supporting the melee community?
The best option is probablly to start with intergrated tournaments and then moved to melee only tournaments.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Zodiac, I still say you try and hold a tourney where you are now. The turnout would probably be huge as long as you gave enough notice(sort of like the Ga tourney this weekend) Especially with your location, its not too far for anyone here on the West Coast to travel to.

Samochan

Smash Master
There should be a hook in non-integrated tournaments to gather all the melee players that have gone to brawl as well. Otherwise we won't be seeing much over 100 man melee tourneys. Advertising needs to work out nicely (like signatures people want to click, using msn/aim to inform some people), get the date, venue and all things confirmed early on. Get big names join up. Video capturing device would be awesome, so is food. But yea, you gotta make people believe this is the one melee tourney you don't want to miss.

Grunt

Smash Master
There should be a hook in non-integrated tournaments to gather all the melee players that have gone to brawl as well. Otherwise we won't be seeing much over 100 man melee tourneys. Advertising needs to work out nicely (like signatures people want to click, using msn/aim to inform some people), get the date, venue and all things confirmed early on. Get big names join up. Video capturing device would be awesome, so is food. But yea, you gotta make people believe this is the one melee tourney you don't want to miss.
the best melee tourney, since the best melee tourney in Ga, since brawl came out.

Samochan

Smash Master
the best melee tourney, since the best melee tourney in Ga, since brawl came out.
Yea yea, but you know we'll need moar tourneys than just one. :p

debaser

Smash Lord
Zodiac, I still say you try and hold a tourney where you are now. The turnout would probably be huge as long as you gave enough notice(sort of like the Ga tourney this weekend) Especially with your location, its not too far for anyone here on the West Coast to travel to.
yaaaaaaaa that would be epic. there needs to be some melee action on the wc that isn't in california

Zodiac

Smash Master
Yea, these are the most successful kind of tourneys, heh heh heh , I have an idea :grin: I'll get back to you guys in a little while :grin:

mSlacker08

Smash Rookie
This may not bring about a Melee revolution, but maybe what one can do to convert players is to show Brawlers videos of great Melee games, such as those of Fumi , Bomberman, ken, or whoever. I'd like to think that those who play Brawl are lost souls, not seeing the path of reason because they are under some sort of mind control, much like that episode of Chef on South Park. Most were never really good enough to experience the Gaming Nirvana that is Melee, so I would suggest making a logical argument, backed by some fast-paced awsome videos of Melee.

The little mini tournaments are a good idea, I'll try to do all I can to get something going. I live in Cape St. Claire, MD and would be able to bring 2 others to a tournament if there is one going on in the area. Just e-mail me at abrock1@towson.edu if someone has something going on in the area.

Grunt

Smash Master
but maybe what one can do to convert players is to show Brawlers videos of great Melee games, such as those of Fumi , Bomberman, ken, or whoever. I'd like to think that those who play Brawl are lost souls, not seeing the path of reason because they are under some sort of mind control,
Amen brother, the Smash Loooooord is STRONG in our presence today!

Banks

Smash Hero
one thing that doesn't help is four stocking brawl players on melee friendly tv's during brawl tournaments.

lmao

Zodiac

Smash Master
one thing that doesn't help is four stocking brawl players on melee friendly tv's during brawl tournaments.

lmao
So very true, oh yea and if your trying to get someone into competitive play dont tell them they have to learn advance techniques, because to be competitive you dont, when they will realize on their own they need them eventually, or they'll just get pwned at a tournament.

On another note, if ANYONE here is a graphic designer kind of person I need your help, contact me via pm asap.

Rampage

vx
I really want to host a tournament, as Vancouver WA seems pretty dry in the regional zones, but i don't have time or supplies to start one. :(
Vancouver? There is usually 1 tournament a month here in bc. in fact, there's one tomorrow (June 7th) for melee and a small brawl singles (V_V)

Zodiac

Smash Master
Vancouver? There is usually 1 tournament a month here in bc. in fact, there's one tomorrow (June 7th) for melee and a small brawl singles (V_V)
to bad theres brawl there. T.T Im setting up a tournament here, it will happen within the next few months. and I'll hang up a sign that says "Brawl is banned!" lulz, no really there might be brawl at my tournament, hell there will most likley be an n64 tournament at my tournament.

Next step in my secret plottings! If you are a top melee player in your region and wish for melee to continue on as the smash competitive standard then contact me ASAP.

chili

Smash Cadet
It's good to see people are working for the resurgence of Melee. I don't want such a great game to die just as I seriously start to get into it.

If there's anything you'd like me to do to help with your 'super secret project', I'd be glad to help.

L__

Smash Master
Well, since I'm not well recognized, this might be a bad idea. A USWest vs. USEast massive tourney with preliminaries or a Nor^Cal vs. So^Cal thing. Sorry if this was already posted. I'm a bit lazy in reading other pages.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Well, since I'm not well recognized, this might be a bad idea. A USWest vs. USEast massive tourney with preliminaries or a Nor^Cal vs. So^Cal thing. Sorry if this was already posted. I'm a bit lazy in reading other pages.
Rivalries are huge in smash, that may be a good idea, Im gonna have to run it past people that have been on the scene for a while.

Zodiac

Smash Master
the pros need to keep playing to inspire us.
What you talking about? I'm still playing aren't I? Lol really though the pros are still playing, M2K was at the last big tournament, and theres more to come and the way things are shaping up now, there WILL be a tournament i'm hosting within the next two months.

Secret project update: Still working on it !

Reborn_Fox

Smash Apprentice
What you talking about? I'm still playing aren't I? Lol really though the pros are still playing, M2K was at the last big tournament, and theres more to come and the way things are shaping up now, there WILL be a tournament i'm hosting within the next two months.

Secret project update: Still working on it !

My bad for not havin no ideas... But i got da next best thing an dats support...
In Texas where i be it wouldnt be hard to start sumthin since majority ppl in my college play melee ova brawl, but who knows if they transfered to brawl ova da summa : (

Zodiac

Smash Master
In case no one noticed but I am holding a tourney, go West coast! Anyway, Im going to need more people to help me with my super scecret project

N355

Smash Apprentice
My bad for not havin no ideas... But i got da next best thing an dats support...
In Texas where i be it wouldnt be hard to start sumthin since majority ppl in my college play melee ova brawl, but who knows if they transfered to brawl ova da summa : (
you got it backwards bro. We want more melee tournaments. Tell your buds to keep playing melee they made a good choice.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I want to strengthen the Melee community here in AZ by hosting a tourney, but I wouldn't be able to get a venue.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I want to strengthen the Melee community here in AZ by hosting a tourney, but I wouldn't be able to get a venue.
One thing you can always due is charge a venue fee, but if you have to do that keep the entry fee lower.

Amide

Smash Lord
Remember: Pro Melee players always think Melee is a better game than, uh nevermind. But seriously, if we are making pros stay with Melee, Melee is where the excitement will stay. There needs to be a big tournament sometime soon...

Zodiac

Smash Master
Remember: Pro Melee players always think Melee is a better game than, uh nevermind. But seriously, if we are making pros stay with Melee, Melee is where the excitement will stay. There needs to be a big tournament sometime soon...
making? those who stay in melee stay there because they want to, and pro melee players think melee is the better game for two reasons.

1.they are already at a level that they can max out brawls potential form the get go and they master just about every useful "advance" tech there is and boom.

2.Do I need to say it?

Top Bottom