• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best video game

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
People don't give Zelda: Majora's Mask enough credit. The only reason I'd say it wasn't as good as Ocarina of Time is that it was so much shorter. But it's definitely an excellent game.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
McFox said:
People don't give Zelda: Majora's Mask enough credit. The only reason I'd say it wasn't as good as Ocarina of Time is that it was so much shorter. But it's definitely an excellent game.
wow, 12 000 posts!

definitely, i played majora's mask more than ocarina of time, in fact...

Rash

Smash Ace
Tough choice. More recently, I'd have to say Half-Life 2. Definitely one of the greatest games I've ever played, seriously. By far it's the best shooter I've ever given my time to. I mean, when a game can suck you away from RE4, it's definitely something special (considering RE4 is also freaking fantastic).

Of course, this is out of a huge list of my top games.

Eternal Smasher

Smash Ace
I'm going by every "genre" I can think of, cause I have no life.

Action: Devil May Cry 3 (great soundtrack, great gameplay, great cutscenes, great characters, great difficulty...greatness)
Adventure: Legend of Zelda OoT, Metroid Prime (both have their fair share of difficulty, rewarding action scenes, and overall beauty, and both have stories like no other)
Fighting: SSBM (come on, it's all been said before...depth, a large community, Nintendo heaven, and so on)
Racing: F-Zero X/GX, Mario Kart Double Dash!!, Mario Kart DS (the first two are fast and pretty, the second is fun and pretty, and the third is fun and online)
Platformer: Super Mario Bros. series, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Ratchet & Clank series (the early Mario games pretty much defined platforming, and the Ratchet games took that definition and expanded it the best way possible: by adding fun weapons while integrating more elements from other genres)
Puzzle: Tetris (as someone already said, you can't make it any better)
Party: Super Monkey Ball 2, Mario Party series (both can please a group of people for hours, and the first has some pretty impressive graphics)
RPG: Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi series (both have excellent, timing based attack systems, an engaging story, and some humor to spice it up)
Sports: Refrained judgement due to bias
Shooter (first-person or otherwise): Goldeneye 007, Star Fox/64 (the first had excellent multiplayer shooting, and the second was just all-out, fast-paced, flying, blasting fun)
Survival/Horror: Resident Evil 4 (I've heard good things about this one...and I don't play those too much)

Single-Player: Devil May Cry 3, Metroid Prime (not only are they fun to play, they're fun to watch other people play, and will keep you occupied for a while)
Multiplayer: Mario Kart DS, SSBM, Halo 2 (something you can't explain...)

2-D Side Scroller (Shooter): Metroid series except Prime
2-D Side Scroller (Action): Streets of Rage series (wide array of moves and difficulties)
2-D Side Scroller (Platformer): Super Mario World, Sonic 3 & Knuckles (the first for improved gameplay and massive amount of levels, the second for a large amount of levels, super/hyper forms for everyone, and a certain degree of difficulty)

3-D Side Scroller (Shooter): ... (I saw that Megaman one, but no others come to mind)
3-D Side Scroller (Action): Viewtiful Joe (brought something new to the industry in almost every aspect, especially gameplay)
3-D Side Scroller (Platformer): New Super Mario Bros. (self-explanatory: old gameplay + new style= much fun)

Arcade: Marvel vs. series
Handheld: WarioWare series
(the addictiveness keeps people occupied)

Crossover: SSBM, Kingdom Hearts series, Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Compilation: Super Mario All-Stars + World, Zelda Collector's Edition, Sonic Mega Collection

Overall: SSBM, of course

Never played: MMORPG, Stealth-based action

Eventually, I didn't feel like listing reasons...

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
I have yet to find a game that can intrest me as much as Melee does. Hope brawl will be the game that can overthrow Melee.

Aeroplane

Smash Apprentice
Anyone whos played FF3 for SNES (or FF6 if you want to get technical...) knows its better than FF7, so that's my choice.

Oblivion's pretty sweet, but certainly not the best.

I love OoT and Secret of Mana also. But I'll never choose a best game ever. It's just not fair.

primusfan

Smash Ace
saberhof said:
Super Mario bros. :)
That one too. The reasons I always say Super Mario 64 is because the game is extremely fun, it's a long game so it'll keep you occupied for a good while, and most important: it's one of the first games to actually be in full 3D.

GaNoNdOrFgUrL

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2853-0620-9258
these are my favorites

Super Smash Bros Melee
Mario Kart 64
Super Smash Bros
The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Party (the original)
Goldeneye 007
Tony Hawk Pro Skater(the original)
Dead Or Alive 2 Hardcore
Final Fantasy VIII
Super Mario Sunshine
Animal Crossing
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Sonic 2(Sega Genisus)
Sonic 3(Sega Genisus)
Sonic & Knuckles
Double Dragon/Battle Toads(Sega Genisus)
DDR
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot 3:Warped
Yoshi Story
Megaman Legends 2

i have so many more..but i cant think of all of them right now. Videogames are so amazing, I play em all the time. Total gamer.

GaNoNdOrFgUrL

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2853-0620-9258
I also really really like.....

Rayman
Simpsons Hit&Run
Tomb Raider II
Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Starfox 64
Donkey Kong 64
Tekkan Tag Tournament
Dynasty Warriors 3
Dynasty Warriors 3 Extreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 4
Dynasty Warriors 4 Extreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 5
Dynasty Warriors 5 Extreme Legends
Mario Kart Double Dash

I think thats all for now... ^^;;;;

saberhof

Smash Master
Ganondorf gurl: thats some big list you got there...u still play those??

Id like to add Paperboy, Loz(original),& Duck hunt...

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
-Mario Kart Double Dash
-Super Smash Bros Melee
-Super Smash Bros.
-Red Dead Revolver
-Gun
-Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
-Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
-Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
-Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2

I'm pathetic. XD

Sizzle

I paint controllers
All time favs:

Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)
Tetris (NES)
Harvest Moon (SNES)
Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball (SNES)
Super Smash Bros. (N64)
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
Star Fox 64 (N64)
Tie Fighter (PC)
Counter Strike: Source (PC)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN)
Tetris DS (DS)
Metal Slug (All of them) (Arcade)
Pokemon Red (GB)

primusfan

Smash Ace
Okay, i'm gonna list a ****-load.

Nintendo 64:

Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time
Donkey Kong 64

Sega Dreamcast:
(am I the only one who still plays dreamcast?)
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Jet Grind Radio

Playstation 2:

GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas
Resident Evil series

Xbox:

Jet Set Radio Future
Deathrow
Oddworld: Munchs Oddysee

Well, that's part of my list.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Yeah, seems like everybody forgot about them. I still love playing mine though. It'll be great in 5 or 10 years when i'm the only guy with a working one.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
My personal favorite games are the ones I can replay no matter how many times I've already beaten them. Chrono Trigger, Lufia 2, Mega Man X1-5, SSBM, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Super Mario RPG, Star Fox 64, Secret of Mana, and Super Mario World.

Yes, I'm a SNES nerd >_>

PaintNinja

Smash Rookie
I have two words:

Metal Slug

It has everything. Violence (tho' you may need to get the roms it to see the blood; most arcade centers have the games cansored). Many weapon choices. Interesting vehicles. The games are BLISTERINGLY difficult. Seriously; if you can beat those games at an arcade without going completely broke then you are like a god. I can get to the third level on MS2 without dying too much. After that, it's impossible not to die frequently. Oh, and I'm talking about the arcade games. I know there is a GBA port. It is a good game, but it just isn't Metal Slug. The console versions are direct arcade ports as far as I've seen, but I haven't tested them yet.

And since we're on violent arcade games, I have to say Samurai Shodown. The best fighter EVER. Awesome characters, great, simple fighting system, cool moves, spectacular finishes. Seriously, when's the last time you said "Wow... I just cut you into a hundred pieces in less than two seconds..." Probably never. Aw man, SS4 is awesome. I remember finishing this guy with a deep slash through his torso. His blood sprayed all over me before he colapsed on to the ground. Playing that game gets me totally pumped. I'm gonna go buy a sword and slice someone open now.

Heh, I'm a total arcade game freek :)

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Here's an update :
Halo CE
Medal Of Honor Allied Assault Spearhead(PC)
Jade Empire
Fable
Super Mario(Super Nintendo)
SSBM
StarFox 64
Grand Turismo 4
Mechssault 2 : Lonewolf.

Wash

Smash Apprentice
I would have tie between mt 3 favorite games:
Super Mario 64 (Nostalgia; first consol game)
Phantasy Star Online (For Xbox, played that for literally 100's of hours)
Halo 2 (Multiplayer rocks almost as much as I do :) )

And no...I am not an Xbox fanboy, two in the list happen to be on it.

Vyse0wnz

Banned via Administration
1. Super Smash Bros. Melee: Never get tired of the multi-player. I could write a book on how incredible and mind-blowing this game is... but you're on this Smash forum the same as I, so you probably know.

2. Red Alert 2: Real-time strategy for the win. The second-most fun game in multi-player, because it too NEVER gets old. Simplistic at heart, it keeps the strategy streamlined and the games rapid. Most games end in 8-10 minutes, sometimes earlier; that doesn't mean there's no strategy, it just means the strategy is fairly obvious and it simply requires you to perfect it. There are a ton of different ways to micro, to control refineries, to seal off the resources, to launch coutner-attacks and hit the opponent's power, etc. This game changed my life, man. I played this game pretty competitively, and only stopped when the cheaters successfully ***** it. No. 2 all-time with a bullet.

3. Metal Gear Solid 2: The best story ever, the best action gameplay ever. The story is simply mind-blowing; it's so true, so deep, the way things tie together, the parallelism with our own society, it's just wow. The graphics are still my personal favorite in a game ever, even if they aren't technically the best. The perfect game.

4. Final Fantasy Tactics: An incredible strategy / RPG, with such a deep and reflective story. The religious ties are really ingenious. It's a very long game, too, and it's always a bit challenging. The classes and spells are things I am a huge sucker for in games. The only non-overrated Final Fantasy game.

5. Jet Grind Radio: The most creative game in existence that didn't suck. By far the best musical soundtrack ever; most gaming music sucks, but this music is so good it holds its own as a separate CD. The gameplay is so fresh and the game is pretty difficult, too. It's stylistic, it's humorous, it's everything a game should be: The epitome of fun.

6. Super Mario World: Is this game not the best platformer ever or what? Very long, challenging, unique, superb graphics, gameplay, tons of secrets, that secret world was RIDICULOUSLY hard. Man, I memorized the main story of this game so perfectly. This is easily my most-played single-player game ever. This game got me into gaming.

7. Dragon Warrior 1 & 2: It's tough as to where to put this: Below or above Dragon Warrior 3? DW3 in itself was better, but DW 1&2 is two games in one and really opened my eyes to the world of gaming after Genesis and SNES. For a long time before I played FFT they were the best RPGs I ever played by a mile. The funny thing is even though I hate random battles, and even though leveling up was annoying in this game, and even though this game is SO old school, I loved it to death and never complained.

8. Dragon Warrior 3: Classes for the win. I love classes. Real long game, too; probably longer than 1&2 combined. Otherwise, see above.

9. Grandia 2: The best battle system ever, a great story -- some people called it cliche but I loved every second of it -- superb graphics, fantastic voice acitng (for once!). It was easy and rather short for an RPG -- one could beat it in 30 hours -- but it's hard to say I've had more straight fun than in this game. Man, the battle system! I still remember the special moves like yesterday, and the voice acting in them. "Sky! Take flight! Here we go! Flying Tenseiken!" Dreamcast owned my life. The funny thing is when I firs t played it, I didn't realize just how great it was -- it was great but it wasn't one of the greatest games of all-time great. Then as time goes on you keep thinking about it and referring to it and wishing you could find a game as fun as this, and here we are.

10. NHL 2K2: Ah yes, the last official new game for the Dreamcast before it died. And what a way to end it, the second best game on the console, and the greatest sports game of all-time. I remember being so pissed at how it had no franchise mode and how the menus were ridiculously stupid -- if you ever played this game you know the menus are ******** -- but this is still to this day the most realistic and fun hockey I've ever played. Challenging AI, when you score a goal you feel great about it. Hockey games = the best sports games.

11. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (DC version): I'm telling you, I played my DC to death. I might have played this game more than any other game on the console, and it's one of my most played games ever. This was the best version of THPS2, and it NEVER got old. It's music owned, the gameplay was always fresh, the manual changed the game so much, it was long, it was hard, the multi-player owned faces... This was a perfect sports game. No other Tony Hawk has come remotely close since.

12. Skies of Arcadia: For a long time I used to consider this the best game ever, but I never wanted to admit why. It was mostly due to nostalgia. This is one of the greatest atmospheres in video game history. There's no other way to describe the atmosphere other than using the word fun. The characters are the greatest characters in a video game. Hell, my name (Vyse) comes from the main character. The airship battles was the most fun I've ever had in an RPG. The random battles are the only thing stopping this from being top five or top three on this list. The story was long and incredible, too.

13. Pokemon Red: Now this game really did change my life. Sure, I gamed with SNES and Genesis, but how many of you remember playing this game non-stop through your childhood years? How many times did you re-play this game over, strategizing which monsters you'd raise BEFORE you even started over? It's become stale now because it's the same thing over and over, but once upon a time Pokemon was worthy of the hype and so much more. It revolutionized gaming, and it deserves a place on this list just due to sheer emotional impact. The game was incredible for its time, but the thing is just the emotional attachment. It was the first, and even though technically, if you ask me, it's not the best of its kind -- Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 stomped all over it -- the nostalgia brings it over the top. I only put Pokemon Red because that's the version I bought, but I played them all, even the gimmicky Pokemon Yellow.

14. NFL 2K1: Wow. This game changed sports as we know it, and Madden rushed to copy it. The first time you played this game, you remembered it. The mind-blowing graphics, the unique gameplay, it added something new to the sports genre, and it made a permanent impact. Sports games today just don't compare. I'm telling you, Dreamcast was just THAT system.

15. Tetris Attack: Probably the third best multi-player game of all-time. Holy **** this game was incredibly fun. Have you played this game?! Dude, if you've played this game multi-player, I almost don't have to say anything. Pokemon Puzzle League Challenge was a copy of this with just Pokemon added, and it owned hard too. This game type NEVER ever gets old; just ask PSP owners who play Lumines. The funny thing is I HATE the original Tetris.

16. Eternal Darkness: Really unique -- the sanity meter is one of the greatest inventions ever in gaming. The actual gameplay was kinda lame -- real repetitive after a while with just slashing enemies' head -- but when you get the bigger weapons it turns fun again. The puzzles in this game were atmospheric and -- I'm sorry, I'm a ***** -- scary. There are only like two boss battles, but they kicked so much ***. The stoy really carries this -- REALLY carries this. It's an epic story, on par with Metal Gear Solid 2's. I bought a GameCube for SSBM, Kameo (which never came out), Pikmin, and Eternal Darkness, and none of them disappointed. Resident Evil is a joke compared to ED. What GameSpot said is correct: It plays the player. Only thing I ask: Where's Silicon Knights now? (The developer.)

17. Donkey Kong Country: One of the best platformers ever. When this game came out, it was crazy. No one had ever seen such impressive graphics before on the SNES, or really, any console. Rare owns souls, what can you say? This game is what made Donkey Kong so very cool to this day.

18. NBA Jam: Tournament Edition: "He's on fire!" The best arcade game ever. Not much to say on this one -- if you played, you know, and EVERYONE played.

19. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island: God**** this game owned. Memories. Getting the watermelon with Yoshi and shooting it was tons of fun. I loved how different this game was from SMW. The graphics, the whole baby Mario thing, the timer. Nintendo was pumping out some incredible games back then. 'Tis a shame how much they suck now.

20. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages: I played Seasons first, and I fell in love. Then I played Ages, and I felt like I got jipped -- Man, why did I have to buy the inferior version? Don't get me wrong, Oracle of Seasons is one of the best handheld games ever, but Oracle of Ages is THAT game. Seasons was more action-packed; Ages was much more strategy, and as such, much better.

I can't order the rest in a perfect order, so I'll just mention a couple of other games close to my heart:

Pokemon Puzzle League Challenge
Pokemon Trading Card Game
Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Densetsu 3)
Tales of Phantasia
Killer Instinct
Contra 3
Sonic series
NHL '97
Phantasy Star II, III, and IV
Gunstar Heroes
Contra: Hard Corps
Vectorman 1 & 2
Shining Force
Ecco the Dolphin
Comix Zone
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
Ninja Gaiden Black
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Far Cry Instincts
SSBM
Pikmin
Viewtiful Joe
Super Monkey Ball
Tales of Symphonia
Burnout 3: Takedown
NBA 2K6
Twisted Metal: Black
Amplitude
Grandia 3
Bangai-O!
NBA 2K1
Sonic Adventure
MvC2
Tech Romancer
Quake III Arena
Unreal Tournament
Virtua Tennis
Crazy Taxi
Power Stone 2

Top Games of This Generation (PS2, Xbox, GC):

1. SSBM
2. MGS2
3. Eternal Darkness
4. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (the most underrated game of this generation by a mile)
5. Far Cry Instincts

Honorable mention: Twisted Metal: Black

Games I hate that everyone else loves:

3D Marios
Metroid franchise
3D Zeldas
Final Fantasy Series (Well, I haven't played 8 or 9.)
Grand Theft Auto

Longest post ever.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
Kid Icarus
Super Mario Brothers
Super Mario Bros. 3
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime
Super Smash Bros.
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Street Fighter
Street Fighter 2
Final Fantasy VII
007: GoldenEye
Counter Strike 1.6
Tetris
Sonic The Hedgehog

There are a ton of others, but I can't really go on. There's simply no "Best Videogame of All Time". There are too many genres and too many different styles. The above are just some of the candidates that could be argued as the best videogame of all time, but they're all winners.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
time crisis, OoT/MM, metal slug<am i the only one who liked it!?, nes contra, ff7, mario cart, mario rpg, melee, resident evil, metroid, AoE age of kings<better than AoE III, gran turismo

most time : gran turismo....i got my F1 car and my S licence....GG
most fun: RE 4 (zombies+shotgun= heaven) time crisis a close second especially with a friend

winner: mario rpg...my first real good game....too bad i could never beat the final boss....

Top Bottom