• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best video game

ElijahTheProphet

Smash Cadet
NukeA6 said:
I have played every Zelda game (except the Gameboy ones and Wind Waker) and still think OoT is better than all of them. But it's nice to know that someone here knows that LttP is a classic.

I also wanna give some credit to Super Street Fighter II: Turbo.
Yea thats fine if you think OOT is better and you've played them all. Newbs who say thats their favorite only because its the only one they've played is whats dumb. They deffinantly deserve to get Ganon-banned.

I'm pretty big on Zelda... more so than I am SSBM, Right now I'm working on the Minish Cap and once that's beaten I'll have beaten all Zeldas. (Of course excluding those made for the CDi system; ) those wern't made by Nintendo officials, however it was funded by nintendo. I don't count those as TRUE Zeldas. If you do, then we can debate.) Which will be good because I want to have all of them beaten before TP comes out.

If you're looking for a good Zelda to play I suggest: LTTP, OOT, and WW. The best ones for gameboy are Seasons and Ages by far.

$sD

Smash Ace
fighter -SSBM/Dead Or Alive 2 Ultimate(until 4 comes out)
action - Ninja Gaiden Black
shooter - GoldenEye 007
adventure - Gauntlant Legends
rpg - Chrono Trigger (hrmmm maybe Vagrant Story)
side scroller - Mega Man X
racing - Mario Cart Double Dash
sports - Mario Teenis (N64)
horror - RE4

cant think of any others

Ashura Fan

Smash Apprentice
Too... Many... Choices...

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Megaman X8
Megaman Zero
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
King of Fighters: Dream Match '99

...Can't think of anymore off the top of my head...

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
rpg: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Its Mario. It's an Rpg. It's made by Nintendo AND Square. Do i need to say more?

Platformer: Super Mario Bros. 3/Sonic 2/ Mario 64

Figther: Super Smash Bros. Melee
It is the very element of chaos in video game form that is safe for children.
Plus it has many nintendo charecters duking it out. Joy!

Shooter: Metriod Prime 2 echoes

Flight: Starfox series minus Adventures

Adventures: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time
But could this title be overshadowed by Twilight Princess?

Puzzler: Tetris
Sadly, its the most depressing game because you can never beat A mode. You will lose.

Racing: F-Zero GX/Super Mario Kart Series
Chaotic Racing!

Overall: Super Smash Bros. Melee
I quote from Nintendo Power Magazine: "With the right people, this game can be played forever."
Since 2001, this has been proven.

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
I am torn between two games on this one. I would say Final Fantasy 7 though. I’ve played it around 5 times though. I managed to beat it in under 24 hours one time. I don’t know if that is a decent time record, but I did it nonetheless. I vote for Final Fantasy 7!

Id say smash but if i had to pick another i would say either Ocarina of Time, EVO (not the monster truck one but the evolution game on SNES), or megaman X 1 also paper mario 1

bball2012

BRoomer
BRoomer
I haven't mulled over this question in a while. It's hard to pick one, though...

Sonic 2 is the best 2D Platformer there ever was. It blends great art style and a fantastic soundtrack with blazingly fast gameplay. Sonic 2 has the perfect balance between carefully crafted, obstacle-ridden levels and the loops and springs that send Sonic into overdrive. The zones branch in more directions than Sonic 1, but they're not labrythine messes like in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Oh yeah, and this game has the best bonus levels of any Sonic (OMG 3D!). Seriously, it's never been done any better. And it never will.

Mario 64 is the best 3D platformer there ever was. Nintendo hit a home run their first time out, and no one's gotten particularly close since. Mario 64 is deep, varied, and versatile. I swam, I flew, I raced penguins! It's one of the milestones of gaming history, the most important 3D game ever. It's not the stunning visual showcase it was in 1996, but it's still fluid and fun. I've never seen a more brilliaint reimagining of a franchise.

As far as the whole package goes, Zelda: Ocarina of Time is probably the best game there ever was. It has the visual flair, the cinematic presentation, and the tight gameplay that really took Zelda and Nintendo to a whole different level. I don't think I've ever played a more balanced game. It's something that I can't look back on and say, "It was great, but it would have been better if they fixed such and such." The closest thing to a flawless game we're bound to ever see.

Metroid Prime might be the most immersive game there ever was. I think last time I made one of these lists (around November 2002, heh) Prime might have been my number 1. Looking back on the game, it's obvious I've played a few better, but this was still a really great showpiece. The game sucks the player in like nothing else I've ever experienced, mostly with its lavish attention to detail. Tallon IV is a world, a reality unto itself. The Prime gameplay is solid, but I think it will really be remembered for the unparalleled experience it creates with its incredible artistic visuals.

Zelda: Wind Waker has the best presentation ever. Everything about this game just clicks from a visual level. I wasn't a true believer in Celda beforehand, but when I popped this into my Cube and saw Outset Island in its Saturday-morning-cartoon glory, I was floored. This is Zelda through the eyes of a little boy. The monster designs were especially awesome (my favorites were the ReDeads and the moblins). And the plot, while simple, was presented with such eloquence and beauty that it seemed downright un-Nintendo (OoT tried, but it was nowhere close to this level). Also, sunken Hyrule was pure magic. This game had a lot of flaws gameplay-wise, a lot more than your average Zelda, but I find myself getting past them and longing to back through the game once more. Artistic brilliance.

Resident Evil 4 is probably the coolest, most visceral game ever. It really feels like a Hollywood production that you're in control of. RE4 is the game of the generation for me because it starts with an incredibly frantic, heart-pumping sequence (the village scene), then proceeds to continually top itself for the next 20 hours or so. The game is like 20 or so insane set pieces strung together to create the best action game ever. I think this might be the only game that I immediately started over the moment I was done with it. I've beaten it three, maybe four times as of now. RE4 is the Ocarina of Time of this generation; it brings EVERYTHING together to create an irresistible, nearly flawless package.

Going through my list, which I guess I did chronologically, I notice that the gaming medium has really changed since it went 3D. The best games today are really about more than just gameplay. It's about how the gameplay, visuals, sound, presentation, and all the rest meld into a final product. I think games have evolved into more of an experience (artistic experience?) than just mashing buttons to move an on-screen avatar to save the princess. It's exciting to think about where we'll go next.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
I would have to say, the best game, of all time, without a shadow of doubt in my mind is...

Star Fox for the SNES. This came was the most innovative of its time, the first to use "3D graphics", and the first to use the Super FX chip. It's gameplay was also unique, never before that time had there been a shoot were you were a spacecraft traveling down a "corridor". Also, the storyline and characters were super-unique....before this time, few games involved talking animals that could save the whole solar system from destruction.

As for second place: That would go to Star Fox 64, yet another innovative game. It was the first game to use in-depth speech in gameplay, and the first to use the rumble pack. It also has an awesome storyline, graphics, and design....all on a game that is based on your score. Even after you beat it 100 times, it still has awesome replay value and a insane fun-factor, much like its predecessor, Star Fox.

All in all, I would say the Star Fox series is one of the best series in the World, but only because of its first 3 games (Star Fox, Star Fox 2, and Star Fox 64). Nintendo, in my opinion, did not do so well on Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault (although the graphics are amoungst the best for gamecube), although they were both fun, and I believe this is do to the fact that Star Fox Adventures is really, in reality another game, and Star Fox Assault shouldn't have been designed by Namco, and putrified by their Galaxian/Galaga/Space Invader theme.

Dash Blaster

Smash Apprentice
I would have to say Super Smash Brothers Melee. Sure call my choice cheesy, but think. It has quite good graphics, very good music and you can play as who you grew up playing series' as. Zelda: Ocarina of time, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Halo 2 are way up there as well.

chrisbo

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I love DDR/ITG and SSBM. Both have incredible replay value, and I have met a lot of friends through the games (more so DDR). It's just a good experience, plus DDR is really my only form of daily exercise.

MaijinLuu

Smash Cadet
My two cents:

RPG- Final Fantasy VII.....bar none the best RPG ever and paved the way for RPG's to come

FPS- Goldeneye...again, paved the way for FPS

Fighting- Tekken.....hey, I love SSBM to death but Tekken is king in this category

Others:

Resident Evil 4
Metal Gear Solid 3
Super Mario 3
Mike Tyson Punch Out
Bionic Commando
Tetris
Mario 64
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Legend of Zelda
Mario Kart
The Sims
Age of Empires
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario RPG
Tecmo Bowl

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
My favorite would be Tales of Symphonia. A awesome battle system, great story, good difficulty, enough stuff to discover, great graphics and the best in the Tales of the World serie: THA game for me.

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
I say Super Metroid.
The gameplay was complexed, and deep, and it had a good soundtrack.
more then 10 years have past, and people are still breaking the game...

also, castlevania SOTN is an excellent game.
blending puzzle, action, platforming, and rpg into one.

Stryks

Smash Hero
For me its obviusly Super Smash bros Melee, the 2nd should be OoT, it was cool, long, hard, and fun.
Took me weeks to pass the Water temple!

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
falcoX said:
what is the best video game ever?
I like LoZOoT (legend of zleda ocarana of time)
As the blindfolded fanboy I am, i'll go with Halo : Combat Evolved. :)

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
#1. I'll go Tales of Symphonia, absolutely love it.
Side scroller: Megaman Zero 4.
Course SSBM, Zelda Oot + Wind Waker, and Resident Evil 4 are all close to my heart as well.

Khanczar

Smash Ace
Im not gonna go for what I think is best, Ill just tell you what's best. Oot. Highest rated game ever, with due cause.

Link pwns

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Hmm, as far as BEST and excluding SSBM, I'd have to go with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It's just so epic, I can't put it into words.

Though, my personal favorite would have to be Earthbound. Good times with Earthbound, good times :cry:

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
My Favorite Games: (Not in any specific order)

1.Super Mario Bros. 11.Ninja Gaiden 2
2.Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars 12.Chrono Trigger
3.Mario Kart 64 13.The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
4.Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 14.Contra III: The Alien Wars
5.Super Mario 64 15.Megaman 2
6.Super Mario Bros. 3 16.Super Mario World
7.Perfect Dark 17.Sonic The Hedgehog 2
8.Super Smash Bros. Melee 18.Zombies Ate My Neighbors
9.Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest 19.Final Fantasy X
10.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles In Time 20.Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i can't name one. my top 5 are:

5.Super Mario Bros.-can't beat the classic titles
4.Warcraft 3/World of Warcraft-blizzard can make the most addicting games out there today
3.Resident Evil 4-scared the living hell out of me.
2.Super Smash Bros. Melee-Most played Gamecube game (heck, most played game ever!)
1.Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time-this is by far the greatest game ever. i am so hoping twilight princess is as good or better than this game, although it is very hard to top it.

Courtofdoom

Smash Apprentice
RPG: Final Fantasy 7 (PS), Chrono Trigger (SNES), Secret of Mana (SNES)
Adventure: Zelda: Ocarina of TIme (N64), Resident Evil (Cube), Mario 64 (N64)
Side Scroller: Super Mario World (SNES), Megaman X (SNES), Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
Shooter: Counter Strike (PC), Halo 2 (Xbox), Perfect Dark (N64)
Action: Devil May Cry 3 (PS2), Socom Navy Seals II (PS2), Prince of Persia II (Cube)
Racing: Mario Kart DS (DS), Initial D (PS2), Burnout (PSP)
Fighting: SSBM (Cube), Soul Calibur (Xbox version because it had Spawn),
RTS: Starcraft (PC), Warcraft TFT (PC), Age of Empires (PC)

Top Bottom