• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best secondary for ROB?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
*hasn't read this topic

R.O.B. doesn't need secondaries, he only chooses to allow other characters to be played if they aren't good enough for him to enter battle (i.e. metaknight)

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Im gonna try out Olimar soon. I figure instead of getting *****/almost ***** by them at tournies...I'll try the evil ****** out myself and see how he fairs (no pun intended)

buenob

Smash Lord
point -- his recovery is incredibly gimpable... everyone knows this, but then when you play him it feels really frustrating to be ledged so badly...

just remember his up-b has a bit of a boost itself, so it's possible to recover high with it by landing on the stage instead of grabbing the ledge

also, if you don't abuse his disjointedness you're gonna get punked lol... I treid picking him up a while back but I couldn't get into him... mostly, his strengths are kinda the opposite of robs, so if you're not comfortable changing your playstyle, he may not be the best choice

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Hrmm I see...I have'nt thought of that at all lol I'l be able to test him out hopefully tomorrow and see if I can work with him or not. Thanks bluenob ^_^

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I wish I could :( its 2 hours from me, and doing the tourney last Saturday I highly doubt I'll be able to convince my mom/sister to drive me.

Im most likely going to either Ch5 or C3 though. :D

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'd have to say that R.O.B.'s worst matchups would be: Game & Watch, Meta Knight, Dedede, Zero Suit Samus, and Marth.

I only use R.O.B. in tournament play and I've handled all those characters just fine on the west coast. But if I were to play a secondary it would be evolved-Pichu (aka Pikachu). Simply because he can handle Dedede really well, plus I used to main Pichu in Melee so I don't really have to practice with him to be good with him (he handles more like Pichu than Melee Pikachu). I don't think I've ever played the ZSS or Marth matchup with Pikachu but I'd think he'd do pretty well against them. I don't think he'd do so well against Game & Watch though.

WarmSoda

Smash Apprentice
I'd have to say that R.O.B.'s worst matchups would be: Game & Watch, Meta Knight, Dedede, Zero Suit Samus, and Marth.

I only use R.O.B. in tournament play and I've handled all those characters just fine on the west coast. But if I were to play a secondary it would be evolved-Pichu (aka Pikachu). Simply because he can handle Dedede really well, plus I used to main Pichu in Melee so I don't really have to practice with him to be good with him (he handles more like Pichu than Melee Pikachu). I don't think I've ever played the ZSS or Marth matchup with Pikachu but I'd think he'd do pretty well against them. I don't think he'd do so well against Game & Watch though.
I'm impressed you can handle ZSS as well as you say. Then again, I don't know how well the west coast ZSS's play, I can only vouch for the east (Snakee).

I'm confused as to why you think Marth counters ROB. I haven't had any trouble with Marth in a while. Does anyone else? I'm curious if this is just a you (Tommy) or everyone has trouble with him.

buenob

Smash Lord
until you learn how to edge him properly, he's incredibly difficult... he out ranges rob and due to the floaty nature of rob he gets fair combo'd a lot... and marth can up-b punish pretty much any hit rob does that doesn't send him far

use projectiles to force him to recover low, and then just quick ledge hog at the right time, and marth is pretty much dead... soon the marth player would rather get hit by the zoning projectiles (and not die) and then you can rack up mad damage on him and even still edge him by mixing up your responses

after you get around this, and you learn to DI out of his multi-hit sword dance (the one that ends with marth hitting down can be di'd up/towards and you get a free smash on him) his options become really limited

WarmSoda

Smash Apprentice
Alright.

After 6 hours of guide jumping, secondary switching, counterpick testing, begging my family to play smash with me (even my girlfriend, god bless her) and banging my head against a wall, I've come to the conclusion that...

... I GIVE UP ON SECONDARIES! >_<

In my pathetic struggle to cut off my 'robotic umbilical cord' I've attempted to;
1. Gyro with G&W
2. Laser with ZSS
3. Hover-spike with Toon Link
4. Boost (Up+B) with Falco

Needles to say, none of the matches I played went accordingly. But, funny enough, when I let my ROBstincts kick in, matches go as right as rain. I'm convinced ROB is trying to tell me something. At this point I feel it would be more beneficial to spend my time evolving my ROB meta game, rather then picking up a new character.

From this post forward, I will never pick any other character but ROB. Ever.

Wish me luck.

jokey665

Smash Ace
I'm confused as to why you think Marth counters ROB. I haven't had any trouble with Marth in a while. Does anyone else? I'm curious if this is just a you (Tommy) or everyone has trouble with him.
Marth absolutely wrecks me. He's the character I have the most trouble with after MK. Interestingly, I have almost no problems with Game and Watch.

From this post forward, I will never pick any other character but ROB. Ever.

Wish me luck.
Heh, I'm in a similar situation. I've played nobody but ROB for quite a while now. I've tried a bunch of different secondaries but I just can't seem to play well as anybody else.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
WarmSoda it is possible to find a secondary, even if it doesn't cover bad match ups. I recently (like 2 days ago) after 4 months of trying to find an alt found my secondary. It'll take time and practice but unless you've tried EVERY character possible, you're not allowed to give up. Trust me, doing the same old laser gyro **** is boring as ****. Unless you can tolerate it, you need an alt. Keep trying :(

Edit: The character I found as my alt is Olimar ^_^

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
If you can't beat em, join em?

So far I've found my best secondaries to be MK and Snake, for obvious reasons I think

Although I have fun just trying out other characters. I tend to have a "character of the week" and I'll end up playing that character for a week or 2 and then get bored of them and play someone else.

So far I've done this with Mario/Peach/Luigi/C. Falcon/DK/Falco/Wolf/Snake/MK/Kirby/Dedede/G&W/Ness/Sheik/Olimar/Pikachu/Jigglypuff/Marth/Ice Climbers/Toon Link/Poke Trainer/Samus/Ganondorf

I don't recommend doing this though- playing through the roster like that can cause you to forget the habits of your main and then you'll find yourself squandering in tourneys. Practice ROB and choose one other S/A tier character to be your backup. That's the most efficient thing to do, IMO

Sky`

Smash Lord
Oh chill out Sudai. It's a valid point, and it's not like it's completely un true. Peach is a great secondary.

Take Mod to srsly.

WarmSoda

Smash Apprentice
srsly. if you 2nd snake your only problem is a campy dedede or a shdling falco.
I've also taken up Snake, yet I don't know which match-ups I'll use him for...

...especial Falco. Given my three character, I don't know which one to use.

Top Bottom