• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Secondaries for PT?

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
I've been messing around with lots of different characters, trying to find one that I both enjoy playing and will also somewhat cover PT's bad match-ups. What character(s) do you second that you find is/are the best counterpick to PT's predators?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I second Jigglypuff mainly with a tad bit of Bowser here and there, mainly because they were my main and secondary, respectively, in Melee. Jigglypuff doesn't get chaingrabbed, which I find helpful against tough PT matchups like Kirby. On the downside, Jigglypuff is light and fairly predictable compared to PT, so I have to be extra careful when using him. Bowser, on the other hand, I use when I want to be more defensive. He gets chaingrabbed, yes, but depending on the opponent's playstyle, I use Bowser due to his being difficult to kill. Whirling Fortress is great for defense, and depending on the counterpick stage, Bowser's Koopa Hopping can be great for mindgames. I'm finding that I'm using Bowser less and less, though, despite his being a higher tier than both PT and Jigglypuff.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
PTs hardest matchups are
Falco and Marth

So some good secondarys are
Snake, going close to even with falco and a soft counter to marth
Metaknight, goes without saying best counter pick to marth and has a small advantage against falco

so pick whichever you feel is more threatning, falco or marth.

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
PTs hardest matchups are
Falco and Marth

So some good secondarys are
Snake, going close to even with falco and a soft counter to marth
Metaknight, goes without saying best counter pick to marth and has a small advantage against falco

so pick whichever you feel is more threatning, falco or marth.
I cannot stand playing either Snake or MK. While I do want to do well, I do still wanna have fun. I will try and look up other counters to Falco and Marth. Thanks for the tip though. : )

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Mr. Game and Watch is also a horrible matchup for Pokemon Trainer. Hell, Kirby too....there's quite a few that gives PT trouble.

I can't really offer any solid advice other than Metaknight though. I only use my characters because I like them, not because they're a specific counter.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I really don't find Marth that bad. Squirtle's too good at 0-death on Marth, and Charizard can literally handle Marth pretty well. Marth's nair and dtilt are nasty on Charizard, though, and Marth punishes Ivysaur really well. Charizard can also outrange Marth if you predict him right with ftilt and Flamethrower. Dtilt comes out quick and can be used for KOs after Marth misses with an aerial.

As far as MK...eh, he's MK. I honestly have a difficult time regardless of the character. Squirtle seems to do the best overall, but if you can get MK to high enough percentages, Charizard's offstage fair can kill MK quickly.

Vermy

Smash Champion
@zigsta: Marth has an infinite grab release>spike on squirtle. And marths tipper kills zard at ridiculously low %, when he's meant to stock tank. Marth is tough.

I'll agree with Falco. He can fight toe to toe with Snake, GaW and Marth no problem.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Most of the top tier characters are hard/terrible match-ups for PT. While I don't agree completely with the match-ups on the pokemon trainer boards here, the pokedex still gives an idea of what your bad match-ups are.

If you don't want to use meta knight or snake, then study up on some match-ups and figure out who your own personal bad match-ups are against. Some characters that would be a good idea to use are: Kirby (for falco), Marth, (for GAW), and DDD, Rob, Wolf, or DK (for marth). See how you do against snakes and metas and find out if you need a secondary for them then.

T-block

B2B TST
I second GnW. Makes me kinda Marth-weak, but it covers Falco/Kirby nicely, and deals with another GnW too. It's not impossible to take out MK either.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
@zigsta: Marth has an infinite grab release>spike on squirtle. And marths tipper kills zard at ridiculously low %, when he's meant to stock tank. Marth is tough.
Is Squirtle the only one Marth can infinite grab release? Someone did that to me at a tourney but fortunately couldn't land their spike.

Toby.

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure its only squirtle.

Marth can also upsmash or fsmash out of the release, which means that a grab at any % will almost always result in a death of some kind, be it a spike or straight out KO.

The only way to avoid it is to position yourself so that you get released straight on to a platform. Unfortunately for us, the majority of the platforms in this game are slightly too high for squirtle to land on them :(

Oh look my 1000th post

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm pretty sure its only squirtle.

Marth can also upsmash or fsmash out of the release, which means that a grab at any % will almost always result in a death of some kind, be it a spike or straight out KO.

The only way to avoid it is to position yourself so that you get released straight on to a platform. Unfortunately for us, the majority of the platforms in this game are slightly too high for squirtle to land on them :(

Oh look my 1000th post
That explains why the Marth I fought counterpicked FD. XD That's nasty.

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
Most of the top tier characters are hard/terrible match-ups for PT. While I don't agree completely with the match-ups on the pokemon trainer boards here, the pokedex still gives an idea of what your bad match-ups are.

If you don't want to use meta knight or snake, then study up on some match-ups and figure out who your own personal bad match-ups are against. Some characters that would be a good idea to use are: Kirby (for falco), Marth, (for GAW), and DDD, Rob, Wolf, or DK (for marth). See how you do against snakes and metas and find out if you need a secondary for them then.
I think this is probably the best choice. I still haven't really had that much match-up experience yet, so I don't really know how well I do against our bad match-ups. Once I figure out my personal success rate against PT's bad match-ups, I can figure out a good secondary.

I'm thinking DK, though. He's pretty fun to mess around with and can be a real beast if played correctly.

Fhd

Smash Rookie
i dont main pt, i fav/second him , if i did main him, i would second g and w or toon link

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Lucario, jiggz and pika.

Now u got your 6 pokémons! Seriously, this is what I'm kind of going for...

...if I still played vbrawl, in b+ I want to main samus but she's difficult to main, she rocks though.

also: PT is imba in b+ ^_^

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
His worse Matchups in my opioion are Marth and GW.

Obviously, Metaknight and Snake are great choices.

Top Bottom