• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Reaction Timing

Kite91

Mada Mada Dane
I heard that PC took a relex test or something and has one of the best reaction timing of any smasher. I forget where I heard it, on a live stream I know that. But who do you think has some of the best reaction timing?

Violence

Smash Lord
Taj's reaction time is insane.

I think it's part of what makes him good vs Falco, Falco just doesn't have safe recovery options, since to Taj, his side B is punishable on reaction.

Violence

Smash Lord
Startup sound, most likely. Your reaction to sound is faster than your reaction to sight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_qs2fSOeG8#t=1m52s Changes from crouching to standing jab on reaction to the forward b sound, but that's pretty normal. He does this many times during the set. This is still doable for most people because of the visual cue from the wall jump restricting Mango's recovery options from there, since most Falcos will side b.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_qs2fSOeG8#t=4m36s But then you watch something like this. Sure, he's releasing B on reaction, but that's a lot harder than the first edgeguard we saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_qs2fSOeG8#t=8m17s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_qs2fSOeG8#t=10m26s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_qs2fSOeG8#t=10m44s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_qs2fSOeG8#t=15m55s

As long as Taj is prepared for the forward b, he almost always hits it, and he doesn't really have that many frames to react to it either.

a huge part of 'reaction time' in melee is knowing what you could react with and what you should react with quickly. i think thats actually a bigger part of reacting (emphasis on acting) than reacting in general.

all good players have really good reaction time, you pretty much have to

Beat!

Smash Master
The average reaction time of a human is around 0.2s

So a little better than that?

I think I had like 0.18 last time I checked.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Taj's reaction time is insane.

I think it's part of what makes him good vs Falco, Falco just doesn't have safe recovery options, since to Taj, his side B is punishable on reaction.
Not to question taj's reaction time, but reacting to falco's sideB is easy (in fact I had to realise that you could just react to it before I would ever hit him out of it...), and my reaction time isn't great. Or technically I haven't ever tested my reaction time to sound, but I doubt it's special.

Bose

Den lengste kølla
3DS FC
5086-2001-6359
Armada has ******** reactiontime.. His entire game is based much upon it, I've heard. He reacts to DI so fast

Mahie

Smash Lord
Reaction first. Prediction second.

Prediction only enhances your reaction time anyway, it's not something standalone.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Even if you do that M2K, you still wait until that thing appears on screen before starting your plan and punishing it right? You don't punish something BEFORE it happens, you just think " Yo he's gonna roll", you stay on your toes, and you grab him out of it, or something.

Mahie

Smash Lord
It is predicting. But you wait until he rolls, react to the roll and then punish. Like I said, prediction only enhances your reaction time. It's easier to react when you know what's coming.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
What Jason said.

If you know what options can play out beforehand then you spend less time trying to figure out what's happening and more time assuming what the most obvious choice is going to be.

When most people yell, "Wow, those reactions!" it's moreso "Wow, he predicted the opponent's next move based off the current progress of the game and using past events. Then chose the right option to capitalize!"

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure that TAJ has by far the best reaction time of any Smash player.

His is like, 145-160 ms (average is like, 210 ms)

His two worst matchups by far are Fox and Falcon because he can't use his reaction to the degree that he can vs. well.... the rest of the cast.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
It's not just about reaction time.
Reacting to Falco's fw+B is easy, you have like half a second after you hear the sound. The tricky part is knowing/figuring out what to do about it during that time.

dkuo

Smash Lord
Man, every time reaction time threads are made I'm reminded of my terrible 0.28s reaction time :urg:

edit - nvm its just my laptop =_= slows down everyone else's time. i get like .22 on other computers...

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Does anyone know a good way to improve your reaction time in general? Mine is like 0.23 :(
Eat healthy herbs and roots, get plenty of sleep, stay calm, and use the benefits of adrenaline without letting it break your calm to literally make the world slow down relative to how you experience it.

Reaction time won't help you if you have a plasma or LCD TV though. I know, because I have a .19 reaction time and can't shield with any amount of lag :c

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
Legit though, healthy diet+adrenaline makes your perception of time slow down.
Yeah, not being hungover probably helps also. I totally agree with eating healthy, and I have to because my reaction time is already pretty bad.

Here is a link to a reaction time test if anyone is curious (sorry if someone already posted this).
http://getyourwebsitehere.com/jswb/rttest01.html
My reaction time is 0.24, although, I do get pretty inconsistent scores.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Eat healthy herbs and roots, get plenty of sleep, stay calm, and use the benefits of adrenaline without letting it break your calm to literally make the world slow down relative to how you experience it.

Reaction time won't help you if you have a plasma or LCD TV though. I know, because I have a .19 reaction time and can't shield with any amount of lag :c
When I play I perceive the game slower than it really is. Before I had played anyone at a tournament I was constantly shocked by how much faster my videos looked.

I've got a .18 when I'm not inebriated/tired which is aight.

Top Bottom