• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Pokemon Gen 8 canditate for Smash?

Disregarding typings, which starter do YOU want in the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's also part Poison-type, so I sat let's give credit where it's due.
I still don't think it means much when the main gimmick involves mostly electricity. Anyone who supported a dark type getting in Smash doesn't have much to show despite the two newest Pokemon being dark types. Greninja and Incineroar focus on water and fire respectively. I expect the same with Toxtricity.

I say we ignore the labels altogether and just find Pokemon with unique designs and gimmicks.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
But insisting on a Gen 8 Pokemon isn't ignoring labels.
Not quite, but I think most people know it's a trend that Sakurai will likely continue to follow. The fanbase has a valid reason to keep the focus on the latest Gen.

There's never been anything that indicated Sakurai cares about types, so this obsession with more grass types, less fire and water types is all the work of the fans.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Not quite, but I think most people know it's a trend that Sakurai will likely continue to follow. The fanbase has a valid reason to keep the focus on the latest Gen.

There's never been anything that indicated Sakurai cares about types, so this obsession with more grass types, less fire and water types is all the work of the fans.
I feel the thing is though people focus solely on debut generations only, rather than also taking into consideration what the Pokemon themselves have gotten through the years and as of lately. Eevee being a good example of a Pokemon who's gotten as many if not more things than some of the prime Galar origin choices within SWSH and recently.

Last time a newcomer didn't come from the gen the Smash game was taking place in was back in Brawl with PT, but the last time we got a non starter was also in that same game, being Lucario, so I feel it should be kept in mind. They would still essentially make for good promotions for the latest games/merchandise given their presence persists amongst it as much as ones who debuted in them.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel the thing is though people focus solely on debut generations only, rather than also taking into consideration what the Pokemon themselves have gotten through the years and as of lately.
I think it's more like they focus mainly on what can kill two quota birds with one stone. Look at the belief that Sceptile, Decidueye, and Rillaboom were all Pokemon that absolutely had to be in, according to the fanbase: They'd fill out both unrepresented gen and grass type quotas. Gardetelle is also an example of this, ignoring how if Gardevoir was on the table, it would solely be about catering to its popularity, not adding gens 3 and 5 to the game's roster.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
it would solely be about catering to its popularity, not adding gens 3 and 5 to the game's roster.
I can see why people would want those parts represented, but focusing solely on that is definitely ignoring a big part of what makes a Pokemon a Pokemon.

Meowth for example is potentially the most multi generational relevant Pokemon you can have, having had notable presence through every gen in some fashion (look through gen 3, 4, 5 ect related things especially in promo, you're bound to find Meowth pop up more than most others besides Pikachu), yet we'll ignore the fact he'd still promote things that are present to this day (anime, merchandise, regional forms ect) and multiple of the past gens he's had recurring presence in, simply due to the generation he debuted in? Wobbuffet being a contender as a move for it is another example of it having more past just the debut generation.

To answer this thread, I'd like Galar Meowth or Perrserker as alts (doubt they'd do Perrserker as one though) for regular Meowth most. Sirfetch'd while not one I think really should be added, is one of my personal favourites. I definitely think it should be in a Pokken 2 though.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Rillaroom.

Grass type and has a unique playstyle he it could fight using its drums for attacks and specials.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Going by Byleth's inclusion into Smash, I'd say probably Urshifu. It's exclusive to the DLC for Sword/Shield, thus giving that all the advertisement they love using Smash to give.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking it's Urshifu.

Pokemon they add to the game are always pokemon heavily marketed. Lucario, Greninja, Mewtwo... are presented and marketed in a way that makes them natural fits. Jigglypuff is in because of its inclusion in the original Smash game, and Pichu is in because of Pikachu.

I'd say the odd pokemon is Incineroar. It could've easily been Decidueye, but I think the choice of Incineroar is because they were required to make a Gen 7 inclusion, and it boiled down to popularity and its fighting-theme. But Incineroar isn't any particularly special Pokemon. Greninja, the other starter outside of Pokemon Trainer, is in because of the Ash-Greninja story line.

Urshifu is a FIGHTING style pokemon that's going to be DLC in June ... It would make it a lot of sense for it to be the Gen 8 rep.

The issue you have with the Galar starters is that they don't tend to do starters with the exception of Greninja and Incineror. Greninja is because of the storyline surrounding Ash-Greninja ... and Incineroar seems more like a "this is possibly coming out during Gen 7 era, we need to include Gen 7" and Gen 7 didn't really have any other pokemon it could be.

Rillaboom is too clunky with its drum. Having to animate and deal with that thing all the time would be awkward. The best they could do with it is slip it into hammerspace as he runs, but then its got the issue of being an ape ... which is Donkey Kong's schtick. Cinderace and Intelleon both have the same issue against them, they are range attackers and not natural melee attackers. Intelleon is known for Snipe Shot and Cinderace for PyroBall. Both moves could be translated into the game, but the characters aren't known for their melee fighting skills ... which Incineroar and Greninja ARE known for.

If I had to pick a second place ... it would be Toxicitry. Only because there is more lore behind that pokemon than outright stated in the dialogue. (Their statues at the lighthouse and their depiction in the ground shows they are important to Galar lore).

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Before, I barely entertained the idea of a gen 8 pokemon for smash but now... I think Urshifu would be a great choice. Having 2 different styles to switch between sounds like an interesting mechanic that can be experimented with.

Not on board with a new pokemon. This is just for fun.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I said this in another thread, but I think Urshifu is basically the new Eevee. It's the most recent "promotional" pick that makes sense, and people jump to conclusions without taking a moment to remember that (1) Sakurai is making these decisions based off which Pokemon he thinks will be unique, and (2) the expansion is DLC, so in order to get Urshifu, you need the base game, making Urshifu no more of a promotional character than any other Gen VIII Pokemon.

Side note: Urshifu doesn't switch between forms. It has two separate evolutions. Saying that it could switch between forms at will for its gimmick is the equivalent of saying, "Hey, what if all 8 Eeveelutions got in Smash as a single transformation character! That would represent them perfectly!"

Last edited:

Lionel_B

Smash Apprentice
Me, you understand, I choose Intelleon just in the hope of having Decidueye in echo which would have a gameplay based on the Sniper.

It seems ridiculous to some, but for many, it seems ridiculous to continue to want Decidueye, so... In any case, I lose.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I haven't played Sword/Shield, but going off of design/moveset potential alone I'd personally go with Cinderace.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I said this in another thread, but I think Urshifu is basically the new Eevee. It's the most recent "promotional" pick that makes sense, and people jump to conclusions without taking a moment to remember that (1) Sakurai is making these decisions based off which Pokemon he thinks will be unique, and (2) the expansion is DLC, so in order to get Urshifu, you need the base game, making Urshifu no more of a promotional character than any other Gen VIII Pokemon.

Side note: Urshifu doesn't switch between forms. It has two separate evolutions. Saying that it could switch between forms at will for its gimmick is the equivalent of saying, "Hey, what if all 8 Eeveelutions got in Smash as a single transformation character! That would represent them perfectly!"
Plus, the DLC was already decided WAAAAY before Urshifu’s reveal, so Sakurai more than likely went with another Pokémon.

D

Deleted member

Clearly Yamper!

All jokes aside, I think Rillaboom makes the most sense given the current trend. Is he the best choice? Nahhhh. Ngl, I haven't really been paying attention to Pokemon this gen but he looks like he'd play a lot like Donkey Kong (I could be entirely wrong ofc). They could also throw a curveball and choose someone else, as always. Imo the best choice would be Toxtricity.

But, I would love to see Wooloo tho lol

Last edited by a moderator:

SFG_Lobo

Smash Rookie
Made an account to say Rillaboom. It’s the obvious choice after Greninja and Incineroar. Urshifu’s too recent and it’s highly unlikely that Pokémon was in Sakurai’s radar during the selection of FP2 characters.

Personally I also find Cinderace aesthetically boring and I don’t think Intelleon would bring anything new gameplay wise.

Rillaboom could play a lot like Donkey Kong with Ivysaur-like range and I think it’d be interesting.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Anyone but Zacian. We have enough anime sword fighters.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I really hope none of them. I think that to be in Smash your game, specially if it is an actual game, not some classic game from the past, you need to be really good and deserve your place in the game. Pokemon Sword and Shield sold a lot, but they are not good games. They are poorly done, with a lazy aspect in every inch of the game, the game is ugly, with bad animations, dated gameplay, and the new features they implemented are poorly done. In general, it is a pretty mediocre game, that is played because the name and because the collection of creatures that is appealing for the fans of the series. There are better games done with more heart that deserves a place in Smash, than this cash grab game.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It’ll never happen, but I really want Dragapult :V

More realistically I think any of the starters probably. Maybe Toxtricity. Urshifu might be too late.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I really hope none of them. I think that to be in Smash your game, specially if it is an actual game, not some classic game from the past, you need to be really good and deserve your place in the game. Pokemon Sword and Shield sold a lot, but they are not good games. They are poorly done, with a lazy aspect in every inch of the game, the game is ugly, with bad animations, dated gameplay, and the new features they implemented are poorly done. In general, it is a pretty mediocre game, that is played because the name and because the collection of creatures that is appealing for the fans of the series. There are better games done with more heart that deserves a place in Smash, than this cash grab game.
I don't think this is fair for a couple of reasons.

1. Fates still got a character, and few FE fans consider it to be very good compared to other entries.
2. That's subjective. Quite a few people enjoyed SwSh and don't share your opinions.
3. The games have sold 16 million in a month and a half. At this rate, it'll beat RS, DP, BW, XY, and SM in sales. A new Pokemon would appeal to a lot of people, even if the vocal majority within the fandom says otherwise.
4. The quality of the game doesn't effect how unique its characters could be.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Yeah. Urshifu is more like Lycanroc in that it cannot change between its two forms. I myself also do not think that the roster needs a Grass-type starter, as I don't think that Sakurai cares about what types the playable Pokemon are.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I don't want Rillaboom because knowing Sakurai he would give it a music/rhythm based moveset like how Greninja has a lot of ninja elements or Incineroar has a lot of wrestling elements. And I want a Rhythm Heaven character to have that music/rhythm elements.

peteyj7

Smash Rookie
Rillaboom would be cool to round out the starter types w/ Greninja and Incineroar already in the game.

But I also understand his design is not optimal for the game.

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
Rillaboom would be cool to round out the starter types w/ Greninja and Incineroar already in the game.

But I also understand his design is not optimal for the game.
I've done research, and I think Cinderace or Rillaboomer will be the most likely.

Me personally, I think they both could be a lot of fun and very unique. It makes no sense to be mad if Cinderace makes it just because he's a fire starter, but I think Rillaboom would be hella fun.

Just watch Sakurai make the Pokemon like Byleth.
Byleth haters -> Byleth mains

Fr, whomever makes it, they're going to get lots of L's in the live chat

YellowExploshi

Smash Rookie
I'd pick Zarude. Imagine, it's another DK troll trailer, they think its rillaboom but then they take off their costume to reveal..... Zarude

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'd pick Zarude. Imagine, it's another DK troll trailer, they think its rillaboom but then they take off their costume to reveal..... Zarude
Funny thing is, I could actually see people being upset with that reveal even though both characters are literally a grass monkey.

Zarude ain't got a drum and it's kinda ugly, so I guess Rillaboom would be my preference. I really don't want either though.

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
Funny thing is, I could actually see people being upset with that reveal even though both characters are literally a grass monkey.

Zarude ain't got a drum and it's kinda ugly, so I guess Rillaboom would be my preference. I really don't want either though.
Idk why, but I like Rillaboom

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I want toxtricityb but only if its both as an 'Ice Climbers' situationb because I refuse to take one without the other, or the cover Legends in the same format.

Also, not a pokémom but Bea herself would be great! Her moves could involve her Pokémon like G-Max Machamp & Sirfetch'd and use karate too. She's even got a thread on the support directory

Noipoi

Howdy!
I want toxtricityb but only if its both as an 'Ice Climbers' situationb because I refuse to take one without the other, or the cover Legends in the same format.
I always figured they could be alts. But an ice climbers type thing could be interesting as well.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I always figured they could be alts. But an ice climbers type thing could be interesting as well.
Alts could work to, but only if the moveset doesn't icnlude moves only one learns... It wouldn't make sense if you saw a lowkey use venoshock...
That's why I'm saying they could work like the Ice Climbers. They could use their exclusive moves into combos with the others... Alts could work, but its just my preference

Top Bottom