Best Pokemon Gen 8 canditate for Smash?

NeonVoid

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, so I know that currently (with the announcement of more fighters), it is likely that we will get another Generation 8 representative from Pokemon in Smash Ultimate. The question is, who is the most likely?

I know that some people think it could be Rillaboom (to even out the typings with Greninja and Incineroar)

Some think it may be Cinderace due to its mass popularity and potential movesets

Some people may think Inteleon? (Idk if anyone does given that we already re have Greninja)

I know Toxtricity and Dragapult are very popular, with Toxtricity having an unrevealed g-max form and Dragapult being a strong pseudo legendary.

Who do you guys think would be the best choice for Smash, and why? If I didn't list someone, please feel free to mention them

NeonVoid

Smash Cadet
Sirfetch’d. Has all the makings of a knight Pokémon with a lance and shield (not like :ulthero:, who only use those for blocking and basic attacks).
Dont get me wrong, I love Sirfetchd, but how would i

Make it happen Sakurai!
I didn't see that list, thought Cinderace would be higher up, at least as of today compared to when that post was made, but why Toxel and Dreepy?

Switch FC
SW 0818-9732-6979
Dont get me wrong, I love Sirfetchd, but how would i

I didn't see that list, thought Cinderace would be higher up, at least as of today compared to when that post was made, but why Toxel and Dreepy?
It's just a popularity list, but it shows that Toxtricity is probably the most popular Pokémon from Sword and Shield, and it's also the one I feel is the best choice for Smash. The rest of the list is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I feel like the one that makes the most sense, to my, and possibly many others' dismay, is Rillaboom. I kind of hate all three of the Galarian starters' final evolutions - but there's only one grass type in Smash, and he's just one third of a complete character. If you want a drop-in filler for that void, Rillaboom would be it, considering the gen 6 rep is water and the gen 7 rep is fire. The only positive I see to his inclusion is another possible DK/Diddy/K. Rool/Banjo meme trailer considering his gorilla status. I could see it now, Diddy, K. Rool, and Banjo/Kazooie napping in the hut, and a silhouette of a massive gorilla with long hair and a drum appears. Jaws drop, but it's just DK with a big pile of bananas over his shoulder and carrying a barrel. They're relieved, but then you hear a drum beat getting louder and louder even though he's stopped moving. And then the reveal you're already familiar with.

Toxtricity could be cool if they focus more on his poison and "sound" electric-based moves (e.g. overdrive) over just straight up generic electric attacks, considering there's two electric-types already.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I definitely feel like any of the starters or Toxtricity are the most likely if a gen 8 pokemon is added.
As for who I'd like? I'd actually be totally fine with any of these. My first choice might be Rillaboom though. Possibly Toxtricity. I kinda hope Cinderace doesn't get picked if any of them though because we already have lots of fiery fighter type brawlers such as :ultfalcon::ultincineroar::ultmario::ultken::ult_terry: but thats not to say they couldn't make the character feel different enough to play from them while having their own unique moves. It'd just be more difficult and a character like Rillaboom, or Toxtricity, would have much greater potential to offer something unique to the roster. Plus, Rillaboom, depending on how its done, could fit very nicely with the Sword/Shield theme those games have whereas I couldn't say the same for any of the aforementioned pokemon. Intelleon could be fun to play but very annoying to face if implemented in.

As far as movesets are concerned;
I could see Rillaboom having a stance changing / zoning style to them. As of this post I've made a moveset behind this idea which you could search out and find in the forums.

Cinderace's main gimmick could be its pyroball it utilizes through many attacks and mainly specials, even using it like WFT's ball from the Side-Special where you can angle or stall it, sorta building the rest of the moveset off that. Cinderace could basically work as a sorta rush-down/zoner hybrid but requires some tech-skill to use properly.

Intelleon would likely be an evasive zoning character that is extremely light and requires incredible precision for satisfying KOs, basically being a glass-cannon. And yes, they would have enough to distinctify them from Greninja despite the similar motifs.

Toxtricity would have a versatile set of moves with varying properties and might have some sort of 'charging' mechanic but would be good at mixing up the opponent till the big attack after proper set-up has been attained. They could also easily add a echo of Toxtricity, having an 'Amped' form and 'Low-Key' form.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I'd love to see Cinderace join Smash. Even if there are many beautiful new pokèmon in Sw/Sh, I like it the most and I can see it as very fitting for smash and also bringing an original and funny moveset (based on a flaming soccer ball it can spawn and many moves based on soccer)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Cinderace is my favorite starter, but I'm sure deep down we all know that it'll be the one who will come closest to Byleth levels of hate.

A lot of people care more about the fire/starter label than the Pokemon itself, which is stupid because Toxtricity is popular despite the fact that we have just as many electric types as fire types.

Cinderace is my favorite starter, but I'm sure deep down we all know that it'll be the one who will come closest to Byleth levels of hate.

A lot of people care more about the fire/starter label than the Pokemon itself, which is stupid because Toxtricity is popular despite the fact that we have just as many electric types as fire types.
It's also part Poison-type, so I sat let's give credit where it's due.