• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Mario Game?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
You say that like you've been searching for others. Super Mario 3 is often called the greatest Mario game along with the greatest NES game ever, it's not uncommon to hear that. And you know what? It deserves it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You say that like you've been searching for others. Super Mario 3 is often called the greatest Mario game along with the greatest NES game ever, it's not uncommon to hear that. And you know what? It deserves it.
No, I know it's really popular. I'm just surprised how many people on these boards love the 3D ones so much. Not that there's anything wrong with the 3D Mario games.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
No, I know it's really popular. I'm just surprised how many people on these boards love the 3D ones so much. Not that there's anything wrong with the 3D Mario games.
You know what's even more surprising? That those opinions are actually being respected.

That's right. Opinions. On a forum. Being respected.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You know what's even more surprising? That those opinions are actually being respected.

That's right. Opinions. On a forum. Being respected.
Sorry if I offended you or any other members, I honestly didn't mean anything by this. I really love the 3D ones. Galaxy is amazing.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Sorry if I offended you or any other members, I honestly didn't mean anything by this. I really love the 3D ones. Galaxy is amazing.
You didn't anything wrong. I was just pointing out that so far, there hasn't been any fights in this thread over which game is best, which is usually what happens in threads like this.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You didn't anything wrong. I was just pointing out that so far, there hasn't been any fights in this thread over which game is best, which is usually what happens in threads like this.
Oh, okay. I guess I was worried for nothing. And you're right. Everyone seems to be respecting opinions. Probably because Mario games are so well made.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The only amazing 3D game is Super Mario 64, but it's such a groundbreaking game that I'll forgive the rest. Galaxy is fun in small doses, I always get bored after an hour or two each day. Sunshine is an unholy abomination, easily the worst thing Mario-related. Mario is Missing, Hotel Mario, Mario Parties 1-Whatever, All Mario Sports games outside of Mario Tennis and the GB and 64, those ****ing Mario television shows, the live-action movie, ALL better than Sunshine.

K64

Smash Apprentice
Super Mario World is the most recognizable in my elementary years. Nowadays I play it on the GBA and collect more 1-ups (passed the 200 mark and no I didn't use Gameshark).
Galaxy had potential and I got sucked in while I was playing it about a year ago.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Mario & Luigi sieres is my most favorite, and my second favroite is all the Mario 3D games.
Doesn't having all of them in second place kinda defeat the purpose of ranking them? :p

Personally, this may date me a bit (carbon date, perhaps?), but nothing will ever top Super Mario Bros. 3 for me. When it first came out, wasn't just a game, it was a status symbol. If you had Mario 3, you were cool, and if you knew where the whistles were, you were a paragon among insects.

But beyond that, it really feels the most inovative and complete of any of the Mario games to me. Don't get me wrong, Mario 64 and Galaxy were both inovative, but Mario 3 laid a lot of groundwork for platformers, not to mention the various staples of the Mario series which made their debut, and it had a level of variety and depth that were unparalleled for the time, and which I don't feel have been recaptured in any of the games since. Big Land, Kuribo's Shoe, the Koopa Kids, the Whistles and the Tanooki suit will forever be enshrined in my memories. Also, the fact that I could never get past world 3 without some serious help (or a Game Genie... shhh, don't tell).

Gotta say Mario World comes in a close second though. More secrets to find, more levels to beat, and Yoshi were great, but without any real variety in powerups or world themes, it couldn't beat its predecessor in my book.

But that's just my two golden coins.

Keyy

Smash Apprentice
Sunshine is an unholy abomination, easily the worst thing Mario-related. Mario is Missing, Hotel Mario, Mario Parties 1-Whatever, All Mario Sports games outside of Mario Tennis and the GB and 64, those ****ing Mario television shows, the live-action movie, ALL better than Sunshine.
I recently bought a gamecube, and was thinking of picking up Sunshine (haha this post sounds like it's from the past, posted by time machine). Could you give me some arguments why it is such a horrible game? Maybe you can save me some money.

PS I'm also interested in your opinion on Luigi's Mansion..

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I'm doing top 2 in my list.

Best Mario NES:
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Bros.

Best Mario GB:
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

Best Mario SNES:
Super Mario World
Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars

Best Mario 64:
Super Mario 64
Paper Mario

Best Mario GBC:
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Mario Tennis (not enough Mario game's for GBC)

Best Mario GBA:
Super Mario Advance 4
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Best Mario GC:
Super Mario Sunshine
Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door

Best Mario DS:
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS

Best Mario Wii:
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Paper Mario

That's it for my list. And the greatest Mario games of all time based on revewers is in white. Of course some people will disagree, but hey they might have a good reason.
thats pretty much the same for me :D

Karptroopa

Smash Apprentice
Super Mario Galaxy is my absolute favourite, and it introduced me to the series.

Second favourite is Paper Mario 1, then Super Paper Mario, and Super Mario World.

Least favourite is... I have none. :p

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I'd have to say that my favourite of all time is Mario 64. I started with the generation, so I have some powerful nostalgic feelings towards it.

Also, I go back and play through Mario 64 all the time. Can't say the same for Sunshine or Galaxy. But I could say the same for Mario 1-3+World :p

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Undoubtedly has to be Super Mario 64.

Playing Mario in 3D..... for the first time.... was, still is and most probably will always be my greatest gaming memory. Ever. Describing how I felt when I played it the first time is impossible.

God that game was amazing. Galaxy was dull in comparison to me.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You are allowed to count the 2d games in this you know. Unless you're saying that your favorite and least favorite Mario games both happen to be 3d games, in which case, just ignore me.:)
I know. My favorite games are the 3D ones, not necessarily because they're the ones I'd like the most, just because...despite what I'd like, I've played the three main 3D games and one or two 2D ones. I bet I'd love Super Mario World, and probably Super Mario RPG, if I had them, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet (I can get both for VC, but I have a strict no-VC policy because I prefer the original anyways, so I just buy both and waste money. Well, except for with Super Metroid. It's so epic it can't be a waste ;).). For now, all I can say is what I have played.

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
Yoshi's Island.

The controls were so simple, the graphics were easily the best on the SNES, the plotline was better than most Mario games at the time, it's a masterpiece for me and my favourite game ever.

If that doesn't count, Super Mario RPG for having the best battle system and RPG graphics ever.

Pikminmaniac

Smash Cadet
Super Mario Galaxy. None of this "Mario 64 is better" crap. If you play the two games together you know Mario Galaxy far exceeds its Nintendo 64 predecessor. Mario Galaxy fixed the camera. Something that no 3-d platformer has ever done before and the level designs far exceed that of any other 3-d platformer.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Super Mario Galaxy. None of this "Mario 64 is better" crap. If you play the two games together you know Mario Galaxy far exceeds its Nintendo 64 predecessor. Mario Galaxy fixed the camera. Something that no 3-d platformer has ever done before and the level designs far exceed that of any other 3-d platformer.
that my friend is blasphemey mario 64 will always rein supreme in 3d mario games imo but each to his own i guess

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mario Galaxy was good, but doesn't have the same feeling as other Mario games. There are barely, if at all, any technical issues, but that doesn't warrant the game being "better" than all the others.

For one thing, Mario became simplified. He only has one/two attacks (if you count jumping) and lost all of his other abilities. This was the same problem he had in Sunshine, but at least he still kept his acrobatic moves. This problem also lead to boss battles being easy as hell too.

Level Designs, while quite stylish and lovely, are quite linear. When you choose a mission, you have no choice but to get that star. You're either set on a linear path or stuck on mission based mode. There was no exploration, and if you tried to do so, chances are the stage will punish you which would often lead to Mario losing a life.

Mario Galaxy is excellent for his time, but compare Mario 64's time to Galaxy, and you know for a fact that Mario 64 is still better. Galaxy is great, but still doesn't beat 64.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Mario Galaxy was good, but doesn't have the same feeling as other Mario games. There are barely, if at all, any technical issues, but that doesn't warrant the game being "better" than all the others.

For one thing, Mario became simplified. He only has one/two attacks (if you count jumping) and lost all of his other abilities. This was the same problem he had in Sunshine, but at least he still kept his acrobatic moves. This problem also lead to boss battles being easy as hell too.

Level Designs, while quite stylish and lovely, are quite linear. When you choose a mission, you have no choice but to get that star. You're either set on a linear path or stuck on mission based mode. There was no exploration, and if you tried to do so, chances are the stage will punish you which would often lead to Mario losing a life.

Mario Galaxy is excellent for his time, but compare Mario 64's time to Galaxy, and you know for a fact that Mario 64 is still better. Galaxy is great, but still doesn't beat 64.
couldn't have put it better myself

derek.haines

Smash Ace

They're two completely different designs, though. Mario 64 and Sunshine were both designed with that "open level" feel in mind, whereas Galaxy did consciously choose to return to the older design emphasizing the concept of "getting to the end of the level"--as the 2D games of old did. In this way the designers are able to make the level more engaging and interactive while minimizing the classic "wandering around aimlessly" that seems to follow open world designs. And beyond that, there were still a few points thrown in where players were able to veer from the beaten path to get hidden stars, so the exploration element wasn't entirely done away with.

Both designs have their merits, and you're welcome to prefer one over the other, but it's difficult to call one definitely the better of the two.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
How is it that 99.99% of people love Super Mario Galaxy to death and I hated almost every aspect of the game? Bah. I really cannot see what others see in Galaxy.
I'm not trying to come in flaming or anything, I'm genuinely baffled by such a wide margin of opinion.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I really cannot see what others see in Galaxy.
The graphics is gorgeous, the music is beautiful, (it touches my soul), and the hopping to planet to planet is just down right crazy, I love it.

The people that don't like it mostly say that the game is too easy or the voice acting could had been like Sunshine, other then that, I don't know what some people are thinking. =/

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
I posted a thread on gamewinners forums like this b4...

My first Mario game was SMW, so it kinda sticked into my heart. But still it wasn't my favorite.

Than when N64 came out I didnt play SM64, but I played the DS version so yeah, I downloaded a rom on my comp and played all of the classics on N64. SM64 and SM64DS are both awesome.

I can say that Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite it s absolutely brliant AND the best game on Wii.

from the handhelds is SM64DS and Mario Party Advance.

From spinnoffs is Mario Kart Wii, the game on the Wii that is packed with most frustration, but also unlimited fun and brilliant WiFI(Brawl>:mad:)...unless SSBB is considered a Mario spinnoff but probably isn't idk.

Famous

Smash Champion
Smash in general is a collaboration of the Nintendo universe as a whole...But it is considered a spinoff by many

Top Bottom