• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best character for beginners/new players to begin with?

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
ok i have played online for around a month, just using one character to try and improve, but i feel like i have only got so far and im stuck in a slump. should i try picking up another character to get over this. i feel like fox should be a good next step... any opions

clubbadubba

Smash Master
ok i have played online for around a month, just using one character to try and improve, but i feel like i have only got so far and im stuck in a slump. should i try picking up another character to get over this. i feel like fox should be a good next step... any opions
Fox is more technical than falcon, you would be raising your techskill barrier instead of lowering it. Be samus or link, focus on spacing instead of tech skill

:phone:

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
Fox is more technical than falcon, you would be raising your techskill barrier instead of lowering it. Be samus or link, focus on spacing instead of tech skill

good games tonight clubba, looks like ill still be sticking to the amateur hour sykes and playing falcon....

The Star King

Smash Hero
Maybe try more characters in general? Playing with one character can give you a "narrow" perspective.

When I was a noob I remember that one at a time, I went through the characters I didn't play (most of the cast back then), playing people online until I felt "decently comfortable" with that character (usually a week of playing or so), and I think I was definitely way better overall by the end of that. I can't guarantee that's better use of your time than just working on your main, but if you're in a slump it might be worth a try.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I personally tend to believe most people who think they are in a "slump" or generally are not getting better, are actually just going through some of the slower phases of smash64.

This will seem terrible, especially vs specific people but it will go away as you progress through it.

One month really isn't a long time in terms of smash64 development, and unless your SK you'll probably need a lot more time to really start noticing great things.

Main point just don't get discouraged, do everything you can to keep having fun. If you get bored i feel most people tend to stop really caring / trying...so if it takes trying chars you are not good with just for fun, do it. Now be that as it may some people get their fun from learning technical stuff and objectively trying to win...that attitude helps get past said "slump".

asianaussie

Smash Hero
another benefit of using lotsa guys is that you'll (consciously or otherwise) start picking out the better moves each character has, and how to deal with them

64 might be one of the easiest fighters to 'play' everybody in

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
Maybe try more characters in general? Playing with one character can give you a "narrow" perspective.

When I was a noob I remember that one at a time, I went through the characters I didn't play (most of the cast back then), playing people online until I felt "decently comfortable" with that character (usually a week of playing or so), and I think I was definitely way better overall by the end of that. I can't guarantee that's better use of your time than just working on your main, but if you're in a slump it might be worth a try.
gonna try going with SK's approach see if it works probably not lol

ShadowSmasher98

Smash Cadet
I started with Mario, though I have a reason...

I joined a room that was doing teams, (1st time playing on wifi) and I was worried I would be inferior to them in skills, so I decided to pick Mario since he's balanced... and the ironic part is that I did better than all 3 of them... although my teammate was a decent help. Double mario teams are better than you think.

But now I use Link :3

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I started with Mario, though I have a reason...

I joined a room that was doing teams, (1st time playing on wifi) and I was worried I would be inferior to them in skills, so I decided to pick Mario since he's balanced... and the ironic part is that I did better than all 3 of them... although my teammate was a decent help. Double mario teams are better than you think.

But now I use Link :3

OHHH dat avatar

better watch out lol

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i don't even read shadow's posts because I just end up looking at the avatar. I assume he's talking about a relative topic like a good character for beginners. I personally recommend boobs for beginners.

ShadowSmasher98

Smash Cadet
i don't even read shadow's posts because I just end up looking at the avatar. I assume he's talking about a relative topic like a good character for beginners. I personally recommend boobs for beginners.
lol. idk what the last 2 lines mean though... do you mean boobs as characters like Kirby/Pika or the sexy boobs? :smirk::awesome:

naruto200

Smash Rookie
The best for beginners would be kirby.

You can copy other abilities.
You got complete control of where you jump too.
And that rock smash move.
He or she is a super easy character to use.

TranqJim

Smash Cadet
^^^lol wal mart does have deals. one way or another, lets bring this back to the topic of smash.
From personal experience (5+ years of ssb) kirby seems to be the best 'learning' character simply because of his ability to survive

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I definitely think Ness is the best starter character.

Here is why:

He gets punished really hard so he teaches you not to get hit.

He has poor range so he teaches you to develop advanced mind games.

Most importantly: He is requires a lot of very quick inputs to be played in today's advanced metagame. This gives players who start with Ness an unparalleled ability to pick up Yoshi, Mario, and Fox.

The two people of my skill level that I play with regularly started with DK and Kirby respectively.
DK gets No0bs addicted to grabbing and is a hard habit to break.
Kirby makes you lazy do to the lack of any real technical/speedy button pressing.

This has been born out in results. My friend who started tried to pick up Mario and had a really hard time getting SH-DAIR-UAIR. Then I played a little bit of Mario and almost instantly got the tech down. It was even easier than I expected. I attribute it to the slide motion and the way Ness teaches you to aerial instantaneously after a jump.

learning Ness just allows the player to pick up any character and not have to worry a bit about technical stuff and will condition you to play smart.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
this might come off as a bit of an attack, but i didnt agree with much of that post at all - it's not that i thnk ness is terrible to start with, but that a lot of what you say is hardly unique to ness

He gets punished really hard so he teaches you not to get hit.
so does falcon, so does link, so does fox, so does dk, so does yoshi...

He has poor range so he teaches you to develop advanced mind games.
not really, learning only falcon dittos will probably give you better mindgames, plus at lower-mid levels ness's aerials can be used in a really braindead fashion to great success

The two people of my skill level that I play with regularly started with DK and Kirby respectively.
DK gets No0bs addicted to grabbing and is a hard habit to break.
grabbing is a top tier strategy as long as you work on actually getting them rather than mindlessly spamming them (you know, just like how ness is good if you know how to use him)

Kirby makes you lazy do to the lack of any real technical/speedy button pressing.
why is this a bad thing

This has been born out in results.
no it hasn't, it's been born of one anecdote involving a kid who clearly plays way more than his friends

learning Ness just allows the player to pick up any character and not have to worry a bit about technical stuff and will condition you to play smart.
finally, i sincerely doubt that ness is the only starting character who will condition you to play 'smart' - if anything, the amount of time needed to learn basic things like extended djc, djc combos and the like detract heavily from actual player insight, whereas playing with kirby or falcon rewards you greatly for reading the opponent

Yobolight

Smash Lord
LOL, no offense taken. I have been rebuked in much harsher fashion on these boards before.

Almost everything you said I agree with, but I still think that Ness offers new players the greatest package of helpful experience across the entire 12 characters.

New players will quickly acquire the "don't get hit" mindset with Ness just like Falcon, Link, DK, but with the added technicality needed to do all the advanced techniques for every character. Yoshi is the same, but a bit too hard for new players to start with for a myriad of reasons.

Fox is also a really good starter now that I think about it.

I don't consider Ness's amount of character specific techs (Horizontal DJC) to be a detriment because it forces you to really think about the character's mechanics in a way that is helpful for all 12.

YOBO's opinion of best characters to start with

S tier:
Fox
Ness
Mario
Samus

A tier:
Falcon
Pikachu

B tier:
Link
Kirby
DK
Jiggly

C tier:
Luigi
Yoshi

Dingus

Smash Cadet
A beginner character also needs to be good enough that the player doesnt get frustrated and quit. Personally I think either kirby or pikachu are good starting characters. The amount of advanced tech required to play them is minimal. This allows new players to focus on learning spacing while also not getting dominated.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
This has been born out in results. My friend who started tried to pick up Mario and had a really hard time getting SH-DAIR-UAIR. Then I played a little bit of Mario and almost instantly got the tech down. It was even easier than I expected. I attribute it to the slide motion and the way Ness teaches you to aerial instantaneously after a jump.
dair uair with mario is the hardest tech in the game tho

A beginner character also needs to be good enough that the player doesnt get frustrated and quit. Personally I think either kirby or pikachu are good starting characters. The amount of advanced tech required to play them is minimal. This allows new players to focus on learning spacing while also not getting dominated.
I guess you don't NEED pika-specific techs to play pika but anyway I find pika's sh double uair kinda tough. And I always kill myself using his upB.

The shadow Kirby

Smash Rookie
Really it depends on your specialty and then over time work your way up
I used to main falco but as I played online I realized how annoying he could be
>just opinions...
So I changed to a more fair player

The Star King

Smash Hero
I honestly think it doesn't matter that much in terms of impacts on long term development

And if we're talking about short-term goals of winning, your best should be obvious to you (though that's ironic coming from me...)

SquadalaMan94

Smash Rookie
I love inroducing people to this game and 4 out of 5 times, they will choose Mario. He is just great all around, not great but not bad, just in the middle. I dunno.

Thor

Smash Champion
I bring a Wii to my school and I have it emulated on there occasionally (through Wii store) (most prefer Brawl). I think the topic is about people interested in getting serious, so n00bs usually pick a high-tier for practicing easy combos - then you can move to harder stuff (so I think moving through a range of a few characters is a good idea). But true n00bs (who think MK in Brawl suxs and Ike is OP) almost all seem to pick Kirby.

- 5 jumps is really forgiving and really easy recovery compared to all other characters (they can't up+b with Pikachu properly).
- Against other n00bs, rock can break combos that they overcommit on (Fox uairs are an example) and can KO.
- just pressing directions and the A almost always results in useful attacks (especially considering we have to do 4P 3-stock FFAs).
- Kirbycides seem awesome to them (especially when I landed 9 in one match (they popped out and I recovered), adding up to every single player losing all their stocks via Kirbycide, and I 3 stocked. I felt kind of bad about it but everyone found it really funny. So I switched to Samus around them).

But for n00bs as described (people who know it and want to get better), I think the best character probably is Mario, as has been stated - can do both camping and practice combos while being able to search for grabs. Can also teach recovery mixup due to Down+B recovery (and the fine art of button mashing). *The rest of the post you might find obvious/waste of time. Maybe just don't read it. You've been warned.*

IMario seems to teach basic skills if used decently. I think specific skills then can be learned from various characters more easily - Samus/Link always struck me as good for teaching spacing and defense, Captain Falcon is great for those who just can't combo for their lives, and Luigi is good for people who know how to rack damage but struggle to KO (figure out how stuff links into down+B and then apply it to others). Fox and Mario are the best camping teachers. Ness and Yoshi are good for control of aerials, and Jigglypuff is great for aerial mobility and control. Pikachu is great for gimping practice while recovering (uair strings). DK is good for teaching meteors. Kirby is great for those who are bad at using tilts (because they either smash or neutral attack) (yes I had that issue because I self-taught the game at like 7 and so never learned tilts... just smash the analog stick for strong attacks...still sometimes shows up too). Actually that covered everyone. I did warn people this was long.

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
IMO Kirby is the easiest character to win with... Just teach a noob to up-tilt, grab, down-air, and back-air, and you're in business.

I suggest to my friends to learn using Samus. To win against any decent opponent with Samus, you need to have good spacing. Once you're better at positioning your character strategically then it will be easy to switch to more powerful characters.

Thor

Smash Champion
Yeah, Kirby is easiest to win with. I think Mario is easiest to teach better skills to people who want to be competitive, and then I made that long list about how I think each character can best teach different skillsets (but recycled the ideas for Yoshi and Ness, fixed here). Yoshi is probably better for teaching good timing of shielding and timing your only recovery move, Ness is better for timing aerials in gimps (PKT lets you recover even after double jump, but only if gimp works, or you probably get gimped instead).
Yeah though, Kirby is definitely easiest to win with.

Gammelnorsk

Smash Ace
i started with yoshi and found that to be the easiest
uptilt to djc up air was the first combo i practiced

Top Bottom