• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best character for beginners/new players to begin with?

DJRome

Smash Hero
idk, what are samus combos? she mostly just spaces bair and dair and then tech chases with dair. i know some of the cool bomb edgeguards and can combo with bomb into grab and stuff but it's mostly just reads, not true combos

Battlecow

Play to Win
She doesn't have a lot of combos =p

But if you can do the one at 1:38 in this video, you're off to a good start.

DJRome

Smash Hero
hey, i hear ur pretty good. i will have to play u so u can teach me stuff and **** my friends :)

Battlecow

Play to Win
No lag if you've got a good 'puter. Anywhere from one to maybe 5 frames of delay (a frame being 1/60 of a second. So if you enter an input it might take 1/30 of a second to register, for example).

DJRome

Smash Hero
lol i know bout frames and things. i play melee competitively. i was just wondering about 64 since there are never 64 tourneys

The Star King

Smash Hero
If you live in NC you will probably get like, a 3 frame delay I'm guessing, which isn't bad, especially with a non-technical character like Samus.

DJRome

Smash Hero
is there some data on that? i have just been calling it retroactive superarmor invincibility all these years

DJRome

Smash Hero
cool. i always felt like i could react to being hit and still parry. i know that's probably not true, but it seems like it

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I thought Australia was now the fattest country per capita? A lot of sources say different things I guess.
mother *****es don't know about mother ****in' australia

i like australia

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
exploitation in the game that allows you to have invincibility frames for longer than 1 second because yoshi has a nerfed recovery so sakurai made it so he had those invincibilty frames so he could recover but people found out that you could cancel the second jump with an attack therefore could use your superarmor parry as a technique but sometimes it's also used a combo creator because as i said you can cancel it omg >superarmor>parry

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
eh, are you on vista, or XP?

just wondering, enjoy those memory leaks if you're on vista.

The Star King

Smash Hero
exploitation in the game that allows you to have invincibility frames for longer than 1 second because yoshi has a nerfed recovery so sakurai made it so he had those invincibilty frames so he could recover but people found out that you could cancel the second jump with an attack therefore could use your superarmor parry as a technique but sometimes it's also used a combo creator because as i said you can cancel it omg >superarmor>parry
Wat

10runonsentences

dandan

Smash Lord
you can download this emu which works on any os

http://www.mediafire.com/?3fq9adq06mrxf4q

just need to get the rom though, after that, pm me if you need more instructions and i would be more than willing to help.
good to see some melee players starting to play 64 more. in europe, we are trying to add armada to our roster, as he likes 64.

Dsc

Smash Ace
I wish we had taco bell..
Ive never been to america so i cant compare, but australia is mad legit. Battlecow is just being battlecow

DJRome

Smash Hero
may as well just go to ANY mexican restaurant and get tacos there instead. taco bell is cheap and that's the only reason its food is passable

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
taco bell isn't Mexican food, it is Tex-Mex. Tex-Mex refers to dishes like Quesadillas, Chimmichangas, and the general random Mexican street food served as dinners. Mexican food refers to stuff like Pollo Mole or similar dishes.

I hate Tex-Mex food but I like Mexican food. There is a difference (one isn't overloaded with carbs/cheese).

On topic:
If the person was playing melee/likes melee: Depends on their hand speed.
Fox: If the person had quick hand speed and prefers a massive combo/pressure game, for Fox users/Falco users,
Mario: For people who like a combo game but do not have a quick enough tech skill to use Fox well.

Falcon: Appreciation for chars that hit hard and get killed quickly (Falcon/Ganon melee players, etc) or for people who like a character who is just fun to mess with. I would possibly add Marth users to this as well..possibly.

Pikachu: For Sheik users, enough said.

Yoshi: for Yoshi users in melee, Yoshi plays quite similarly to his melee counterpart.

Link: for people who preferred projectile users back in melee. Link users from melee and possibly Samus users will be fine with him.

If the person was playing brawl/likes brawl: Samus, closest character to Brawl version (low amount of combos, minimal tech skill, floaty, easy to use). I would personally also add DK for people who like to use King D3 in brawl and possibly Jigglypuff as well. I would add that in general, Falcon is moderately easy to use and Kirby/Pikachu are also so these wouldn't be bad.

For people who haven't played Smash competitively before/just are getting into the competitive scene

Edited Battlecow's n00b-picks tier list/who I see the most of for people who don't play often/well:

Why are there so many of these guys Tier/Make the down b's stop:
Kirby
Doug/Falcon
Link

Common Tier
Fox
Ness
Samus

I heard that Pikachu was good so look who I am using Tier
Pika
DK
Mario

I wish to be different Tier
Luigi
Jiggs
Yoshi
I do think that however overall, I find that Falcon, Kirby, and Mario are good starter characters.

DJRome

Smash Hero
i find anything brawl related to be so far from 64. 64 is reliant on hitstun and shield stun, grab combos, and edgeguarding. brawl has almost none.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Don't think as simple as "if you use ___ in Melee you should start with ___ in 64", bro.

I did lol @ "Yoshi users in Melee" though.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
real tacos are super legit. corn tortilla meat onion cilantro a little sauce. I like tongue and pig stomach.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Russians love beef tongue apparently, but I absolutely cannot stand even looking at that stuff.

Pig stomach? Wat

sharksquail

Smash Ace
Russians love beef tongue apparently, but I absolutely cannot stand even looking at that stuff.

Pig stomach? Wat
Tongue can be gross if it's cut up in large pieces (gets this gross spongie texture). Don't knock it till you try it. Too many ppl are poosies when it comes to food. If you try it and it's gross just spit it into a knapkin. No harm done.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Beef tongue is good. It is sold on a sandwich at a very good Deli by my area.

Also..when did this thread turn into the social thread.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
I have been learning melee recently and I would like to say that Peach is more like the 64 Ness then the Melee Ness is. The Float canceling even works on the same principles as DJCing. AND, u get TURNIPS, which is the most annoying projectile to defend against/randomly crits or gives you a beam sword(lol). So, I'd say that all peach players trying to get into 64 should start with Ness.

Top Bottom