• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best character for beginners/new players to begin with?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I would say Yoshi because the DJC resembles the usual FC height more, plus you can actually, like, recover

But I'm definitely not trying to start a Yoshi revolution or anything

Sangoku

Smash Master
fox is great wit noobs
What? Your posts were already useless, but this one is clearly dumb. Fox needs a lot of techskill before he can get decent and is therefore one of the worst char to start with. You'll get frustrated more than anything else.

Olikus

Smash Champion
yeah fox isnt a noobfriendly caracther. That caracther needs commitment!

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
I'd say Pikachu is good to start with, people tend to pick him a lot anyway. If not Pikachu, I'd say Kirby. Kirby's easy to use and for beginners it can become enjoyable to use Kirby to see what makes him unique with his copy ability.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
if you have one week to learn smash before the showdown of your life, kirby is obvi the way to go

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
haha, i never play kirby, but i know enough (lol) about the character, that when i do, he's probably my best character.... :'(

Olikus

Smash Champion
haha, i never play kirby, but i know enough (lol) about the character, that when i do, he's probably my best character.... :'(
If I should compare total playtime between pika and kirby out of a 100. it would probably be 85 pika and 15 kirby.

Yet my pika isnt very much better than my kirby. Maybe I chose the wrong main O__O

M!nt

Smash Champion
Do people even use the copy ability, I rarely see it.

xxbroken-gloryxx

Smash Rookie
I would consider Mario being the single best beginners character because his learning curve isn't TOO high and he has a very good projectile. Decent recovery (if you use his down-B for extra horizontal distance) and has a good air game, with a decent throw.

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
ok so ive been playing online for around a week or so and im starting with falcon has any one played me and give me input if i should continue

Froski

Boss of Bosses
Stick with Falcon if you're most comfortable with him. Mostly everyone had a different character they're most comfortable when they started. Though, you should play other characters every once in a while and toy around with them in training mode until you're comfortable to play with them.

What i did to attempt improving one of my characters was playing them against good people, then watch playbacks to look at how I was playing and see what my habits were, common mistakes i made, how to correct in the future...and all that. Pretty much I just the chess(sport?) improvement method. Which occasionally works if you're actually are motivated.

Why have I stopped doing that i wonder? (Rhetorical question)

mikeduncan23

Smash Apprentice
Kirby seems to be the easiest to start with. The ability to "fly" in addition to an Up-B is very appealing to newer characters. Mostly because newer players prioritize staying alive much more than killing other players. And even though Kirby will die at lower percentages, he isn't as easily gimped and can be paired with a player whose reaction times are a bit slower. Not to mention the simplicity of hovering above everyone, and using the brick seems entertaining to a lot of new players. Just my experiences

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
im comfortable with faclon, mario, fox, and link, fairly good with each indivuidual character just not amazing i can only play someone good with falcon

Sangoku

Smash Master
The problem I find with kirby is, as there's more room for error, you might not correct your mistakes and get bad habits. Don't really know though.

:phone:

RickySSB

Smash Ace
It's funny when you think that the first character that you main, would make your smash carreer. Snif.

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
Ok so ive been playing with falcon for 2 weeks now, and i started to lose progress, im having trouble approaching and spacing, barely win any matches but i get kills. Should i start playing a new character to get past this point of no progress

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Ok so ive been playing with falcon for 2 weeks now, and i started to lose progress, im having trouble approaching and spacing, barely win any matches but i get kills. Should i start playing a new character to get past this point of no progress
Play whoever you have the most fun with. Falcon is fast and has great combos. On some characters, once you get that grab or upsmash, it's over for them. Learn bair spacing, dash dancing, and uair combos and you'll be good for a while.

If you want to play a different character, go for it.

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
Play whoever you have the most fun with. Falcon is fast and has great combos. On some characters, once you get that grab or upsmash, it's over for them. Learn bair spacing, dash dancing, and uair combos and you'll be good for a while.

If you want to play a different character, go for it.
i can do all of that i just can't read people. its just that i get railed with no lube whenever i try to approach someone. say i get a grab in and i run up to them to upsmash, i normally run smash and its just ******** and i cant fix it

Fish641

Smash Apprentice
Try playing defensively for a few games (ie- respond to their approaches rather than approach yourself). Learning how you respond to certain approaches will let you understand why yours won't work.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You just need more experience. Pay attention to why/how your approaches are failing and try something else instead of failing the same approach repeatedly.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i can do all of that i just can't read people. its just that i get railed with no lube whenever i try to approach someone. say i get a grab in and i run up to them to upsmash, i normally run smash and its just ******** and i cant fix it
By run smash you mean dash attack? You definitely need to work on tech skill for one, I remember that from playing you. Lots of times when you could capitalize and you couldn't because of tech skill. TRAINING MODE.

Also, my philosophy on starting characters that I've gathered and kinda wish I'd followed when starting: Start with crappy characters, and go until you plateau. Then pick a better character, then a better one, and so on, until you get to pikachu ;). I find that the longer ago I started playing a character, the more awful bad habits I have from when I was bad. On the other hand, my newer characters seem to carry over my acquired knowledge of spacing and the game in general, but don't have as many bad habits, because lots of those are character specific (like stupid falcon usmashes).

prisonchild

Smash Ace
By run smash you mean dash attack? You definitely need to work on tech skill for one, I remember that from playing you. Lots of times when you could capitalize and you couldn't because of tech skill. TRAINING MODE.

Also, my philosophy on starting characters that I've gathered and kinda wish I'd followed when starting: Start with crappy characters, and go until you plateau. Then pick a better character, then a better one, and so on, until you get to pikachu ;). I find that the longer ago I started playing a character, the more awful bad habits I have from when I was bad. On the other hand, my newer characters seem to carry over my acquired knowledge of spacing and the game in general, but don't have as many bad habits, because lots of those are character specific (like stupid falcon usmashes).
I kind of unconsciously did this, before I had any knowledge of any tier lists i started out as dk, and basically spammed grab. then, when i moved on to other chars my grabbing was on point, but since grab is less effective with luigi and link (who i moved on to after dk) i was forced to learn their other skills while still having that great grab game when i needed it. Also, since luigi's grab range is smaller than dk's i learned how to get in closer to grab (shield pressure, jab-grab, etc.)

now im working on my fox and falcon (and yoshi to a lesser extent), but using pika is still like im just starting to ride a bike

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
its probably been asked in here somewhere, but whats a good character for a melee player looking to pick this game up?
Falcon or Fox?
or some other one?

M!nt

Smash Champion
You can just start out with anyone, but I think falcons a good way to get the hang of things.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
And nair is like all I do. Until I forget that Pichu is bad and use other moves.

Anyway, back on topic, thanks for the advice, I'll try out Falcon and Fox and see how that goes ^^
i was a bit wary of fox because I figured he would be too different from melee fox and I would do stupid melee things with him, but I guess thats pretty silly and I should try to use him anyway :|

Top Bottom