• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
You're saying that you have to pick a high tier character to win a tournament?

lol...

I'm just saying that some people pick high tier characters to win tournaments.

Look back at the previous major tournaments, what types of characters won them?

Fox, Falco, Marth...blah blah
Do you see any Pichus or Kirbys??? No...then again, lol @ Join Date: Dec 2006

QFT...

It's fun to use low tiers, but if you want to actually WIN a tournament, or at least get top 3, low tier just doesn't cut it.
You're a ****ing idiot, I was just answering a question :laugh: I never said to not use low tiers. I'm a freaking Link/Zelda player...

Look, you know why most people use characters like Fox, Falco, Marth, and Sheik? It's because most people want to do well. Wouldn't you agree that alot of people play to win? I mean, come on, there's SOOO many Fox/Falco/etc players. Anyways, I'm not encouraging anyone to use these characters.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
Look back at the previous major tournaments, what types of characters won them?

Fox, Falco, Marth...blah blah
Do you see any Pichus or Kirbys???
That's precisely the point. Tier lists are formed by who most often wins major tournaments. People in America tend to play high tier characters because they think that they're better. The majority is obviously going to win more matches than the minority, which means that they will stay on the top of the tier list, and then even more people will start playing the higher tier characters, and the cycle repeats.

What does join date have to do with anything?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
What does join date have to do with anything?
Those who seem to not know alot about this game are usually those who have recently joined the site. Sure, there can be a intelligent poster who has just joined, but that's a rare site. Anyways, I brought that up because you made a stupid comment.

Pose

Smash Apprentice
I think its really fun to use Zelda. Also sheik is right there, if I need any backup. I wouldn't care if I lost, Zelda is a fun character.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
Those who seem to not know alot about this game are usually those who have recently joined the site. Sure, there can be a intelligent poster who has just joined, but that's a rare site. Anyways, I brought that up because you made a stupid comment.
I believe you are the one who made a stupid comment. Sorry.

Zeee

Smash Journeyman
As a Sheik/Falcon/Zelda/Link/Falco/Mario(wario only) pllayer.
I admit I use Shiek falcon and Falco if i was playing a "high tier player" in a tourney or MM.
But I'm just playing to play I'mma use who ever the ( are we allowed to say hell?) world I want lol GW.

I don't get this thread anymore ( I tried and failed after page 11/ 33-36).
Here's how tiers work and when they should be looked at.

Tiers only matter when your playing in a title, tourney, money, reputation match.

Playing for fun means playing for fun.
If you have to use a top/high tier character to win in a friendly of any sort then you really need to stop playing lol.
A known smasher said something alnng the lines of "Players that play for fun progress, and players that play to win/not lose will stay at thier level and never get better". >.> someone post the quote.

:O This thread is SILLY!

Wrath`

Smash Master
I think we should throw tier out the window.I think you should play the charecter you flow with.Not try to master a popular one.I flow with falco and gannon,so thats how i came to be good with them.I dont wast time practicing pop. charecters i'm no good with

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
I use Link and Peach
I mainly use Link cause I prefer him, I just like playing with him more
But when it comes beating characters like sheik,falco,etc
I have to use Peach
Thats for tourneys obviously
It doesnt matter if u use a high or low tier character
As long as u enjoy playing with it,who cares what other people say?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't see how tiers affect normal players. Even after I found out what tiers were it didn't make me change my point of view. I started playing a Falco when I first got Melee then I switched to Fox after I lost my data. Now Fox is my main, and I never found out about tiers until last year.

I play as Mario, IC, Ganondorf, Link, Marth, Roy, Fox, Falco, Mario DK and Samus. A nice mix imo.

Demon_Lord

Smash Cadet
lol nice sign there XP

but anyway i play roy, doc and sometimes fox
but in any tournaments i will go to it doesn't matter who i play against i will most likely use roy because he is my best.
just pick a character your best with and enjoy it

but if you want to master high tier and low tier characters go right ahead it's all in the preference of the player.

Ceriph

Smash Apprentice
This seems to be more of an argument rather then a decent discussion. People are mixing up the idea behind this thread. Yes the tournament victors are usually top tier (Fox,falco,marth) No one cares if you play low tier characters or not. But what is the deal with people coming in here and asking why tiers matter. If you want to understand the tier listing better and why fox,falco,marth are such great characters to use its simple. This isnt bashing low tier characters, having seen taj's mewtwo in action they are good "IF" you can use them. But fox,falco, and marth are not so much easier to master, but you will probably do better quicker with a character like Marth, rather then a character like ness, or g&w.

Sure it MAY be possible to do good with low tier characters if you can master them, but it's more likely that a good fox, falco, or marth, will simply blow you off the edge and kill you from a low percentage then you getting the opportunity to damage them. Marth has range, fox has godly speed (and the mighty shine) and falco has the ultimate spike (plus his illusion spike recovery) they are just massively strong or CHEAP as some may consider them, character.

Tiers don't matter to casual gamers, they just want to have fun. They may not win often, but they play the characters they enjoy. PLaying low tier can be fun, they have a variety of cool moves to mess with, but in tournaments it's rare for a character like, lets say ness and g&w since I used them already, it's rare for them to win.

I've come to accept these things and I'm not even an avid tourney smash player. I've just hung out with some guys from my college who are what I consider amazing at smash. Their best characters? Fox, falco, marth....(and a the "dirty puff") If your not in the game for competetive play don't let the tiers influence you, winning is all that important if your in the game for fun.

These are the things I've come to know about the game. I don't want to argue with anyone, theres already enough arguments going on in this thread. I merely wanted to try and fix some of the confusion that is going on in this thread. People are insulting each other before even having an intelligent conversation and that just makes you look more silly. So these are my views, I hope they wont cause anymore hate.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
only a few low teir players have done good (azen, bum, dire, chu, taj), what do tehy all have in common though, they have a high tier back-up (i don't know about bum, i haven't seen him use anyone else but DK, but that was once)

chu uses ICs, y. link, and pichu
dire uses g&w and i've seen him use ganon too
taj uses mewtwo with fox as a back-up
azen used luigi, pika, and link but now is a peach user (i think)
neo used to be roy..now he switched to marth

yes low tiers are fun, but those are teh best low tier players out there, and they all have a back-up (i dont' know how dire deals with shieks though....) yes you can main a low tier...is it smart, no but it's different

maining a low tier can make you unique, not honorable (unless you do the extreme like 3 stock ken's marth with kirby...more than once in a set)

njzfinest, you don't go fox/falco anymore for serious play, cause we know link and zelda don't cut it :p

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
excuse me my good man, but zelda does cut it, when played right, having a zelda and shiek to handle marths works good for me

mood4food77

Smash Hero
bum is dire's bro, i think, just a little known fact (they look related, but hey, you never know)

i think taj is better than dire, taj almost beat DSF's sheik with mewtwo, that's pretty insane, still has one of the best combo vids out there

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
It's a bit arrogant to claim you are honorable b/c you play a low tier character. It's all about what you want to get out of the game. If you want to win (and I mean in the competitive sense), you have to pick a high tier character. If you are just looking to play the game for fun use whoever; that's why Link was my original main. That being said, I didn't get mad when I got beaten by a "better character." The game provides enjoyment in different ways for each person. Some people can't enjoy something if they aren't winning; that just makes them competitive, not dishonorable.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
yah have you ever seen dire play? he's ****in ridiculous. same thing with his 2v2 partner bum1, he plays donkey kong. i've seen them beat so many top tier characters.
Why did you post this twice, 19 minutes apart? Is your connection that slow?

actually guys, it DOES make you honorable

if you are in the midwest, then HERE YOU GO
You should make one of these for the northeast, if it's not a joke.

Super_Smash_Brother

Smash Apprentice
I challenge anyone on Cape Breton Island!
pfft, he thinks people care. Wait, I'm posting here... Doh!

Stop hating on MewTwo and Pichu. Pichu's Spark has awesome push, as does MewTwo's up throw and Shadow Ball. Shadow Ball can be a recovery, actually, because when used in the air, you get pushed back quite far. They're both great recover-ers (new word! ^.^) ala Pichu's Agility/Skull Bash and Mewtwo's Instant Teleport! Face it, your not getting anything done, and your countering yourself with your sig.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Here's how I see it: Do not feel guilty for using top tiers; do not feel cheated if you use low tiers; no matter the outcome of a match and no matter what tiers the characters were, your goal is either to win, have fun, or somewhere in between. Base your character choice to help fulfill your goal best and let no one tell you off whoever you use and for whatever reason.

That's basically it, but I'd also like to get rid of the "top tier char users only use them to win and don't want to have fun". I know this applies to a lot of people, but definately not all of them.

I, for one, started out with low tiers, not even knowing they were low tiers! I found the Smash community and started working on my game. I used to use Ness but as I got better with techs, I didn't like how Ness played anymore which is just my preference. I didn't like the strange DJCing so I switched to more normal characters like Mario. One day I found a few of today's most popular Falco videos and thought it was neat how smooth his combos were. I've been using him ever since; not because he was top tier and popular, but because I like his style... yeah that's it. >_>

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
Bones0 has the Idea.

It isn't right to gloat by saying "Ha I just beat you with mewtwo" likes its something to be ashamed of. You are no better because you are good with a (what people like to say) is a worst character. You are no worse because you play Top Tier characters, or better because you play Low Tier, you are better because at the end of the match you are the victor. The character doesnt matter. If you like using low tier characters and are good at it then power to you, it just so happens the majority of people don't.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Bones0 has the Idea.

It isn't right to gloat by saying "Ha I just beat you with mewtwo" likes its something to be ashamed of. You are no better because you are good with a (what people like to say) is a worst character. You are no worse because you play Top Tier characters, or better because you play Low Tier, you are better because at the end of the match you are the victor. The character doesnt matter. If you like using low tier characters and are good at it then power to you, it just so happens the majority of people don't.
More untrue words have never been spoken.

There's a reason why there are a ton of foxes, and I can name off 3 kirby players and get over half of the "good ones" out there.

Playing better characters makes you better. Beating a large group of high tier characters with kirby, mewtwo, pichu, bowser, and other horribly flawed characters IS an accomplishment.

Characters are not created equal.

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
you misinterpret things. I'm saying you don't get special bragging rights because you beat someone with low tier characters. you brag because you beat them in general. :D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
you misinterpret things. I'm saying you don't get special bragging rights because you beat someone with low tier characters. you brag because you beat them in general. :D
...you DO get special bragging rights because you beat someone with low tier characters.

Here, put it into perspective.

A guy goes through a tournament and 2-0's everybody, and only uses one character. He never even goes below 3 stock.

His character was either Fox or Kirby.

Which is more likely?

Which is more shocking?

...why can you easily answer those questions if there were no "lesser" characters?

why would you not get bragging rights for winning with a lesser character over a superior one?

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
you suck with analogies. I wouldn't be shocked by either because I know good Kirby players. and what does that have to do with bragging rights?

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
the tiers exist for a reason.
You're right. They do. They exist because people made them. The tiers don't take into consideration the actual mechanics behind the game, they only take into consideration who wins most often with what character. If a community starts, and that community acknowledges a character as good, more and more people will play that character as the community gets bigger, thus essentially "locking" that character into the top-tier. Has nothing to do with the "real" tier list, which only exists in the mechanics in the game, which we'll never see. If you want a real tier list to go off of, go play Tekken 5.

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
Here's how I see it: Do not feel guilty for using top tiers; do not feel cheated if you use low tiers; no matter the outcome of a match and no matter what tiers the characters were, your goal is either to win, have fun, or somewhere in between. Base your character choice to help fulfill your goal best and let no one tell you off whoever you use and for whatever reason.
Amen.................

Top Bottom