• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

Majora731

Smash Apprentice
I play as every character for fun. Friends tell me they appreciate me because they learn how to fight every character.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
So chess with only pawns and a king, that would suck.

So, picking bowser against any character to win, that would suck as well.
At first this post had me scared, but then I realized... smash isn't chess.

Picking a low tier character isn't asking for a loss... thats rediculous, regadless of who says it. It's not gimping yourself out or anything like that, not in this game.
Since most people are talking about him spesifcally in this thread take bowser, in under a few years he went from un-useable sternength, easy to combo, easy to kill, literally slow and useless, "the worst character in the game", to one of the fastest characters out there while retaining that power. With his new and improved fortress game, and people actually, you know, playing as a low tier, he began his accent, he became a strong and far more imposing character. Good bowsers don't do too poorly against some of the higher tier characters.
Characters like pichu are often over looked just because of self damage when as a character pichu probablly has one of the best edge gaurds out there and a solid combo game against a large portion of the cast if you actually take the time out to learn it.

I'm not saying tier don't mean anything, that'd be silly, but I do think people put way too much weight in them. Characters are only as good as you let them be. The tiers are a reflection of that, not the definition of it.

dguy6789

Smash Lord

Picking a low tier character isn't asking for a loss... thats rediculous, regadless of who says it. It's not gimping yourself out or anything like that, not in this game.
Since most people are talking about him spesifcally in this thread take bowser, in under a few years he went from un-useable sternength, easy to combo, easy to kill, literally slow and useless, "the worst character in the game", to one of the fastest characters out there while retaining that power. With his new and improved fortress game, and people actually, you know, playing as a low tier, he began his accent, he became a strong and far more imposing character. Good bowsers don't do too poorly against some of the higher tier characters.
Characters like pichu are often over looked just because of self damage when as a character pichu probablly has one of the best edge gaurds out there and a solid combo game against a large portion of the cast if you actually take the time out to learn it.

I'm not saying tier don't mean anything, that'd be silly, but I do think people put way too much weight in them. Characters are only as good as you let them be. The tiers are a reflection of that, not the definition of it.
Spoken right on. People here put more faith in tiers than fanatics do in their holy books.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Just because your low tier doesnt mean your goin to loose. Sure it might be harder on some matches. Where others can breeze through. But u can get that majorty win. It'll be the first time i go to a big tourney. Nov.26. I'll let you know how I do.

D

Deleted member

Bowser and Pichu are still largely unuseable for all realistic tournament play. Some low tiers have potential to do well, such as pikachu, DK, roy, ylink, ect. others like pichu bowser mewtwo ness can be played better and thus seem like they have potential, but will still be easily defeated by a simple strategy from a real character. Let's face it, if sheik just walks at you with ftilt, and does it really accurately, bowser/pichu/mewtwo WILL lose, they simply can't beat it. There are dozen and dozens of examples like this.

Characters are only as good as they are good at dealing with your opponent. If they can't do that, they're not good.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Well, assuming a scenario where all players are at an close level of skill, the low tiers players will always place the worst. I doubt we'll see a Azen or Chu Dat Jr. rise.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
Bowser and Pichu are still largely unuseable for all realistic tournament play. Some low tiers have potential to do well, such as pikachu, DK, roy, ylink, ect. others like pichu bowser mewtwo ness can be played better and thus seem like they have potential, but will still be easily defeated by a simple strategy from a real character. Let's face it, if sheik just walks at you with ftilt, and does it really accurately, bowser/pichu/mewtwo WILL lose, they simply can't beat it. There are dozen and dozens of examples like this.

Characters are only as good as they are good at dealing with your opponent. If they can't do that, they're not good.
but even the low tiers you mentioned "with potential" dont really have potential. the only thing they have going for them is the surprise, or novelty, factor. once a player knows how to play against them its done.

Well, assuming a scenario where all players are at an close level of skill, the low tiers players will always place the worst. I doubt we'll see a Azen or Chu Dat Jr. rise.
how DARE you even mention there being an "azen jr.". if that ever happened the universe would collapse upon itself with the overload of amazingness. it can barely support 1 azen as it is!!!!!!

Brookman

Smash Hero
how DARE you even mention there being an "azen jr.". if that ever happened the universe would collapse upon itself with the overload of amazingness. it can barely support 1 azen as it is!!!!!!
Make sure you brush your teeth after you're done. Ken beat Azen in almost every character ditto. OOPS

Arash

Smash Lord
unfortunately, low tiers are low tier because they have serious deficiencies that come into play vs higher tiered characters. i think i know this better than anyone:)

in the case of bowser, his metagame improved vastly over the past year, with such tricks as instant edgehog with fortress, and overall knowledge of specific character matchups, but bowser is still 4th worst character in the game on the tier list. (fyi, i voted him 5th worst)

why then does bowser still belong in low tier? simple, he may be played faster nowadays but it's nowhere near what he needs to do vs the likes of shiek, falcon, samus, etc... even the likes of link and luigi can destroy bowser if they're on the same skill level.

so then why do i play bowser? simple, i enjoy his style of fighting, as well as having the best up+B in the game and probably the 2nd best edgeguarding out of all the characters. do i complain when i lose? not really, i realize that bowser isn't gonna win vs a good shiek. if it bothered me that much, i'd pick up fox or something.

i guess what i'm getting at is that while the tier list is useful to compare characters and their worth in a tournament, you should play who you like and who you feel comfortable with.

EDIT: rofl brookman... according to ken, he won them all except for peach and bowser, and that wasn't enough to take the title of "master of diversity" away from azen:(

Brookman

Smash Hero
Clearly peach and bowser are worth far more diversity points than the rest of the cast. Just look at them. Bowser can grab in the air! Peach has the float cancel. Those two qualities alone put them in a whole other galaxy in comparison to the other characters, that's why.

Sighrax

Smash Lord
Clearly peach and bowser are worth far more diversity points than the rest of the cast. Just look at them. Bowser can grab in the air! Peach has the float cancel. Those two qualities alone put them in a whole other galaxy in comparison to the other characters, that's why.
I think the reason azen has the "master of diversity" title, is because he uses 'strange' or non-high tier characters sometimes in tournies. ie at SAVII he used luigi pikachu and link.

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
I don't really care what "tier" you play. Just play a character that you love. I play Marth and Ganondorf. Lately my Marth has been slipping, and my Ganon keeps getting better. Marth's just getting less and less fun to play, but my Smash partners insist that I keep practicing Marth because I need "a high tier character" so that I can be successful in tournaments.

I just want to play, and if I get good, so be it. I don't mind tiers, but they aren't the alpha and the omega, either.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

Harbinger

Smash Apprentice
playing a low tier character in a serious tournament, with intent to place well, is sorta like going into a gun fight naked, with just a knife. ggz

Unless your eminem, cause he apparently walks into gunfights with knives, you know, to try and kill you. supposedly he can cut you so fast that when your blood comes out it's still blue!

P3T3

Smash Cadet
Best thread ever. If you play Low Tier you're trying to hide that you suck at this game by using the john "im using a sucky character thats why i lost" or "the charcter u play owns my character cuz hes higher tier".

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Best thread ever. If you play Low Tier you're trying to hide that you suck at this game by using the john "im using a sucky character thats why i lost" or "the charcter u play owns my character cuz hes higher tier".
On the contrary... I have never made a comment about my opponent's tier placement. I just compliment them and move on.

P3T3

Smash Cadet
No, seriously, there's two kinds of people who play this game:

1) People who suck and since they suck, they use a character under Gannon on the tier list(common excuses are "I play to have fun" or "I'm not a sellout, so, I use low tier").

and

2) People who are good/trying to be good and use anyone from Fox down to Gannon on the tier list.

Low tiers are for fun and for certain counters(which rarey work). And no 1 say Chu or Azen,cuz Chu and Azen both won't use anyone under gannon anymore, and Chu's pichu is only winning when he plays some1 the 1st 3 or 4 times, then he gets owned.

Someone can be good with a lower tiered character, but that doesnt change the fact that the character still sux.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
To me personally the tier list means nothing to me. It is really all about mindgames!
I can play good with every character except bowser and mewtwo. And the only reason why I dont know how to play with those two yet is because I just never really "tried them out"
yet. Ive owned peaches at high level of play with my link. every character is a beast you just have to unlock its hidden power!
Bull****! What HIGH level Peach player have you own with your link? Beat maybe.....but own?...no way in your life dude. I hope Your not refering to me because if you are.your on drugs....you will never own me with my Peach.beat, maybe but not own dude. And all you do with link is spam weapons. You spam so much that the player gets annoyed and does not think when they fight. thus, falling for your little tricks, that is not having a good Link.and you are not goog with every character in this game that you say you are. Please dont make a fool out of your self here on the boards....

mood4food77

Smash Hero
most decent players can actually play every character good, but nowhere near as good as their mains, if ken wanted to, he could probably be the best in the world with every character but yoshi, ness, and ICs since they're completely different characters to play but he chooses not to because it's a waste of time, i only play with multiple characters to sometimes even out the match-up, like against my friends peach, i'll go bowser and i'll still win, then i'll go to like link and it'll be close but i'll probably end up winning, but it's not smart because it's too many fighting styles to learn, stick to one and be happy

low tiers against upper tiers, only a few good match-ups, but none do own the opponent, i think luigi on falcon is the closest one to a completely one sided match for luigi

Dragonstar101

Smash Journeyman
Bull****! What HIGH level Peach player have you own with your link? Beat maybe.....but own?...no way in your life dude. I hope Your not refering to me because if you are.your on drugs....you will never own me with my Peach.beat, maybe but not own dude. And all you do with link is spam weapons. You spam so much that the player gets annoyed and does not think when they fight. thus, falling for your little tricks, that is not having a good Link.and you are not goog with every character in this game that you say you are. Please dont make a fool out of your self here on the boards....

I took it a little far when i said I "owned" peaches. I was going to edit the post yesterday and say ive "beaten" peaches at high level of play but thought it would'nt matter since it was about 4 PAGES BACK!

And I don't just spam weapons with link. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIND A DECENT WAY AROUND MY PROJECTILES YOU CALL IT SPAMMING!

And while doing friendlies in the killa fox tournamant ive beaten peaches with my link.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I took it a little far when i said I "owned" peaches. I was going to edit the post yesterday and say ive "beaten" peaches at high level of play but thought it would'nt matter since it was about 4 PAGES BACK!

And I don't just spam weapons with link. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIND A DECENT WAY AROUND MY PROJECTILES YOU CALL IT SPAMMING!

And while doing friendlies in the killa fox tournamant ive beaten peaches with my link.
If that is the case then how come I aways Beat you with your samus and you spam your @$$ off with the missiles? And yes you do! You spam with every character that has projectiles. And you know it. Ask anyone that plays smash with us. They will tell you the same thing. you have no fighting skills up close, all you do is run, to get space and spam. the only time you come up close is when the person is up close and gets hit in the spamming. I can get through that spamming bull very easy with Peach. Other characters, no cause I get ticked very easily and the way you fight annoys me.run and spam tickes me off, witch make me play dumb and give you the upper hand and then, win the battle. You can not fight up close, and you know that, me, Dionis, and the rest of us all say the same thing to you. You know we are fight. At full power, you will not beat any of us

Link-NY

Smash Ace
If that is the case then how come I aways Beat you with your samus and you spam your @$$ off with the missiles? And yes you do! You spam with every character that has projectiles. And you know it. Ask anyone that plays smash with us. They will tell you the same thing. you have no fighting skills up close, all you do is run, to get space and spam. the only time you come up close is when the person is up close and gets hit in the spamming. I can get through that spamming bull very easy with Peach. Other characters, no cause I get ticked very easily and the way you fight annoys me.run and spam tickes me off, witch make me play dumb and give you the upper hand and then, win the battle. You can not fight up close, and you know that, me, Dionis, and the rest of us all say the same thing to you. You know we are fight. At full power, you will not beat any of us
Just beacause he spasm doesnt really mean he has no fighting skill XD~ samus,link and any other character with a wide barrage of projectiles is meant to spam the **** out of u dark pch i wana face ur peach with my Link next tim theres a tourney/ smash fest near us XD~

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord

1) People who suck and since they suck, they use a character under Gannon on the tier list(common excuses are "I play to have fun" or "I'm not a sellout, so, I use low tier").

and

2) People who are good/trying to be good and use anyone from Fox down to Gannon on the tier list.

Low tiers are for fun and for certain counters(which rarey work). And no 1 say Chu or Azen,cuz Chu and Azen both won't use anyone under gannon anymore, and Chu's pichu is only winning when he plays some1 the 1st 3 or 4 times, then he gets owned.

Someone can be good with a lower tiered character, but that doesnt change the fact that the character still sux.
Again, you're forgetting the people who play low-tier characters, and while they may not win any tournaments, continue to play because they enjoy their character choice.

I don't plan on winning any tournaments, and I don't plan on using the fact that I main Kirby as an excuse. I play Kirby because I just happened to pick him up when I started htis game, and I'm too stubborn to change characters.

If I had any intent of doing good in a tournament, I'd pick up Fox, Falco, Marth, etc, so I could actually win matches. But I would continue to main Kirby. But I don't have the opportunity to go to any major American, or even most Canadian tournaments, so why bother spending so much of my time learning another character so I can win matches that won't make a difference to me?

Dragonstar101

Smash Journeyman

Samus is my WORST character!(besides mewtwo and bowser) And YOU know this! I can't even remember the last time I played you with samus! AND NO FIGHTING SKILLS UP CLOSE??????? LMAO!!!! My main fox
is up close and personal! And you can't actually "spam" with fox so no excuses!!! AND I DON'T RUN WHEN I PLAY! Sure I used to back in the noob days. (and we both were noobs then trust me) Like back in the days when I couldn't even waveshine with fox. Yeah....THAT long ago!

WAIT A MINITUE! You bringing the rest of them into this??? LOL!!! AND I CANT BEAT ANY OF YOU AT FULL POWER????? LOL Stop trying to sound like you waaay better than me or whatever your trying to do!
Don't even make me post about the beating I gave you the last time I came over!:laugh:
I never heard so many johns in one day! "oh I hate that up-throw!" "omg why do I keep di-ing into him!" I'll stop there to save you the embarassment.:)

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Just beacause he spasm doesnt really mean he has no fighting skill XD~ samus,link and any other character with a wide barrage of projectiles is meant to spam the **** out of u dark pch i wana face ur peach with my Link next tim theres a tourney/ smash fest near us XD~
Dude, you have to see it too belive it, I play this dude all the time, I know what he does. Fight him hand-to-hand and you will soo own his in that fight. He has no combat skill, all he does is spam. Belive me, I know what he is gonna do and how he fights. he cant beat me when it comes to tech skill/ fighting skills.

sure we can fight, I except your challenge. who are you by the way, have we met before?

Dragonstar101

Smash Journeyman
Dude, you have to see it too belive it, I play this dude all the time, I know what he does. Fight him hand-to-hand and you will soo own his in that fight. He has no combat skill, all he does is spam. Belive me, I know what he is gonna do and how he fights. he cant beat me when it comes to tech skill/ fighting skills.

sure we can fight, I except your challenge. who are you by the way, have we met before?

Dude.... I PLAY FOX!!!!! How......No really HOW can you say at the VERY least you have better tech skill than me????? Omg....you have no idea the skill it takes to play fox. And the only true character you have good fighting skills with is peach! (I refuse to talk about your roy to the public)

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Dude.... I PLAY FOX!!!!! How......No really HOW can you say at the VERY least you have better tech skill than me????? Omg....you have no idea the skill it takes to play fox. And the only true character you have good fighting skills with is peach! (I refuse to talk about your roy to the public)
heh heh heh..........HA HA HA HA HA!!!! dude, I'll bring my wack @$$ roy up in public. ALL MY CHARACTERS IN THIS GAME STINK *EXCEPT FOR ZELDA, I CAN DO SOME STUFF WITH HER* but yea, my other characters suck. Peach, I played with her since Day 1. DAY 1 DUDE! So of course she will be like the best I have, I just now started picking up others and it is not easy for me because im so acustom to Peach. Its very hard in my part. And Peach is not an easy character to pick up at PRO level. You try to use Peach like Mike G and wife(which are pro's then come back too me. I could care less about how bad my others are, Peach is my main, and when it comes down to playing against ALL characters in this game, all I need is Peach. the others are just for fun, Peach is for serious play. You got some nerve......omg........really, you have some nerve......

Link-NY

Smash Ace
sure we can fight, I except your challenge. who are you by the way, have we met before?[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

we were at the last kf tourney thou im not sure if we met or fought in freindlies =\

RaiN-

Smash Cadet
good thing for posting this .. people think they have excuse for when they lose with gaw even though they played him for a month

Angrylobster

Smash Lord

and

Ouch... why you hurt me so bad Doodah? :(

Vall3y

Smash Lord

and

i like this comment.
ill add and say that low tier players arent really playing to win
if they would, they wouldnt pick a char that puts them in a disadvantage over most others
and im not telling everyone to pick fox\falco\sheik\marth, because there are other chars that can beat them by playing better (unlike *randomlowtier* which in order to win you have to play much better than the opponent).
so they probably do play for fun though, they understand they dont have potential to be real pros, so it doesnt matter to them too much. kinda like azen that was playing for fun with crappy low tiers, but finally stepped it up because (imo ofcourse) he felt he is wasting his potential of winning big

FierceFox

Smash Apprentice
TC you're an idiot. People at at tourney would be 10x more amazed if a G&W player won than a Fox or Falco. YOU'RE WRONG! It's not good to be unique, but you sometimes get more attention if your truely good with a lower tierd character. And no way that most people choose Roy and Link, good try though. :laugh:

falcosmassacre01

Smash Journeyman
dragonstar101 isnt good people i know first hadn im on my boy darkpeach's side all he does is spam missles etc u can check my vids i think there might be a vid of him idk(vids link next to my sig)

Top Bottom