• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
Low tiers don't suck they just aren't picked that much, thus rarely get a chance to prove themselves.

To NJ's post:

Has link vs. marth always been even? Or was it just after aniki did really well with link against ken's marth that people are concluding that.

This is what I understand from how well aniki did against ken. If aniki chose a top tier character he would be almost as good as ken.

This stuff is bull****, you pick the freaking character you want to pick you play with them, you don't make any johns, you understand that low tiers don't suck they are just "unstudied". Low tiers are seriously the garbage can of smash. Lets play every character for 5 seconds and see which ones we like the most and make those the most popular characters which then make them the best. Being a low tier character just means you have depend more on yourself than outside sources to help you learn good stuff with low tiers. Thats all it means and that is all it will ever mean.

I play fox and if I went to more tourneys I would be better than I am now (against people that I don't know that is.) and when people are like fox is broken/cheap, I'm like this is bull**** I pick him and don't do that well with him. I know that I don't suck and that I'm not horrible at this game. In the end all characters take the same amount of effort to use to the best of their ability.

some things about low tiers have to be self-discovered that is about the only difference concerning the tiers except:

low tiers= more mindgames less techs (not because they don't take as much tech skill, they just lack them)
top tiers= more tech skill less mindgames.

And its not like one outweighs the other by a lot it is just over marginal differences.

Screw this ****, no more of this stuff about tiers. If anymore problems about the tiers come up I say we burn the person who even had a single thought about something similar to tiers that lead to the birth of the tiers.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
Lol its not that aniki's Link gives ken trouble its aniki himself.. even his samus does good aginst kens marth X_X aniki is just 1 of the few ppl that can actually give ken trouble. put any other link player aginst ken thats not azen and there gonna get ***** =x

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Smash brothers is about character matchups, low tiers can be crucial to top placeings with the right counterpicks. Chu's a good example, he can go Young Link to fight a Peach, Taj goes Mewwto against certain matchups and other times he picks Fox, or Marth. Skilled use of low tiers can get you to place mucher higher than otherwise.

I don't think anyone thinks they are cool just because they use low tier,. most do it for fun or they stuck with it so long that's just their character. I don't know any GOOD low tier users who use it as an excuse when they lose.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero

To NJ's post:

Has link vs. marth always been even?
Of course not
Or was it just after aniki did really well with link against ken's marth that people are concluding that.
um....no. Trevyn and KDJ gave me good information of why Link vs Marth is even without using Ken vs Aniki as an example. Only noobs who can't give solid information base things simply off of vids. Also, did you even read my post? Maybe you should go back and read it as well as the post before it. I didn't say that Link vs Marth was even because of Ken. I wasn't even the one who brought up Ken vs Aniki....

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
This is amusing. So you have an advantage if your character is a higher teir. Doesn't mean your going to win. IT means you have a better chance...Someone gets good enough with a certain character they will win. I'm not saying counter picking isn't a bad thing but when you have everyone saying you need to play a high teir to win, then the lower teirs never have a chance to prove their worth and your left with nothing but Fox,falco, shiek and marth...

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Why are you people still talking about this?

I do fine in tournies with pikachu. Low tier mains are also my favorite smashers. I think good low tier mains are unique, obviously. If they werent, they would be in the majority.

I think "dishonorable" smashers are those who make the game unenjoyable, which includes, but is not limited to, making the game not fun to play by complaining, being elitest, or just being a jerk in general. What's the point of this topic for it to have gone this long?

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
Of course not

um....no. Trevyn and KDJ gave me good information of why Link vs Marth is even without using Ken vs Aniki as an example. Only noobs who can't give solid information base things simply off of vids. Also, did you even read my post? Maybe you should go back and read it as well as the post before it. I didn't say that Link vs Marth was even because of Ken. I wasn't even the one who brought up Ken vs Aniki....
I wasn't accusing you of considering it even, I was thinking that people had considered it in Marth's advantage for quite a while, until link players proved otherwise. I was just pointing out the concept of low tiers being underrated until something like ken vs. aniki happens.

This is amusing. So you have an advantage if your character is a higher teir. Doesn't mean your going to win. IT means you have a better chance...Someone gets good enough with a certain character they will win. I'm not saying counter picking isn't a bad thing but when you have everyone saying you need to play a high teir to win, then the lower teirs never have a chance to prove their worth and your left with nothing but Fox,falco, shiek and marth...
Exactly... and the reason you have a better chance of winning is cause you are going to go against other, fox, falco, shiek, and marth players.

Sensai

Smash Master
I love how some people attempt to give thought out ideas, only to have others just bash it in with 'roflrofl noob noob'.

If you're an intelligent person, then why do you even bother attempting to make points? People don't listen....listening implies that they are wrong, and we all know it's impossible for [insert person's name] to be wrong.

I'm withdrawing from this thread. Tired of arguing over the Interweb...it's an old analogy, but it still fits: 'Arguing over the internet is like winning gold in the Special Olympics. Sure, you win, but you're still ********.'

Good luck continuing to sift through the bull**** if you're still reading this thread.

And Magnum, sorry I didn't know what 'froed' was. I don't keep up with colloquialisms (spelling), especially if they're not anywhere near where I live.

And, as a general reminder to everyone in this thread....typing in all caps does not make you seem smarter, nor does it make you seem louder. It makes you seem like an idiot.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I love how some people attempt to give thought out ideas, only to have others just bash it in with 'roflrofl noob noob'.

If you're an intelligent person, then why do you even bother attempting to make points? People don't listen....listening implies that they are wrong, and we all know it's impossible for [insert person's name] to be wrong.

I'm withdrawing from this thread. Tired of arguing over the Interweb...it's an old analogy, but it still fits: 'Arguing over the internet is like winning gold in the Special Olympics. Sure, you win, but you're still ********.'

Good luck continuing to sift through the bull**** if you're still reading this thread.

And Magnum, sorry I didn't know what 'froed' was. I don't keep up with colloquialisms (spelling), especially if they're not anywhere near where I live.

And, as a general reminder to everyone in this thread....typing in all caps does not make you seem smarter, nor does it make you seem louder. It makes you seem like an idiot.
I aprove this message...

mood4food77

Smash Hero
controlfreak, kubu has beaten ken with link, i've tried it myself, teh match-up is pretty even, link's grab range really messes up marth since he leans in with most of his attacks, and marth doesn't do so well around projectiles and the fact that link is heavy doesn't help either (very little combo's from a throw)

anyways, someone said y. link was easy to understand, he's not, fox is way easier, y. link you have to work in so much more than fox, fox, come on, how hard is it to drillshine wavedash up smash, yes fox does have a lot of technical skill but he's not that hard to just pick up and play, out of all the high tiered characters, ICs are the only character you can't just pick up and be good with, everyone who uses the ICs has used them since they began playing because they are so different and require much more to be learned, basically thinking twice, low tiers take more to pick up because they aren't as good and require a lot more mindgames in order to compete, which in most cases, players have to create a mindgame specifically made for that character, like zelda can do a "fake" fsmash to attract the opponent into a real fsmash, it only works with zelda because she has very low lag (based on the average lag for the fsmash) for that move and can pull it off again before the opponent has time to realize they made a bad desicion, yes no character is easy to use (with the exception of sheik) but the higher the character is on the tier, the easier time a player will have winning matches

and not all top characters started high, falcon was really low on the first tier list, zelda used to be top 5

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
controlfreak, kubu has beaten ken with link, i've tried it myself, teh match-up is pretty even, link's grab range really messes up marth since he leans in with most of his attacks, and marth doesn't do so well around projectiles and the fact that link is heavy doesn't help either (very little combo's from a throw)
I'm not arguing that it is uneven, I was just curious to know if it has always been considered even, regardless that is known as even presently.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
i think the point of this topic was .... if you play a low tier.... dont use it as a john..... most of the better people at this game can use low tiers better than you..... people just get the point where they know htey can win... and low tiers jsut cant do it..

no chars have any untapped potentiall.... this game is old as hell kids cmon now.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
there aren't many, i think the only ones that do exist are:

luigi vs. falcon
link vs. marth
pika vs. falcon (questionable)
y. link vs. peach
y. link vs. jiggs

that's it i think, but these don't usually happen until high levels of play

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
lol, did you read my previous post at all? i dont use roy as my main, i only use him for counterpicks or when i know my opponent has no idea wtf is going on.
Well see how much of a fool I appear to be when I assume stuff like that?

I hope you understand now.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
there aren't many, i think the only ones that do exist are:

luigi vs. falcon
link vs. marth
pika vs. falcon (questionable)
y. link vs. peach
y. link vs. jiggs

that's it i think, but these don't usually happen until high levels of play
link vs peach
link vs samus
link vs ganon
link vs jiggs
link vs mario/doc
link vs IC

link ftw

mood4food77

Smash Hero
link is even with ganon, or it's slightly in ganon's favor, link is even with jiggs, y. link has an upperhand, link is even with peach, y. link has the upperhand, samus...don't know much but i think samus has the upperhand, and the ICs have the upperhand on link, they have more problems with y. link

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
In response to this thread I say, yes, being a "low tier player" does make you unique and honorable. I have discovered that a smasher can build a reputation for himself much faster by focusing on a lower tier character than on a high tier one. I have infinitely more respect for players like GimpyFish (Bowser), Gojira (Bowser), Hero Sublime (Young Link), Coaxial Cable (Pichu), and others for placing so much emphasis on a character they use merely because they love it so much. They prove to be more skillful in the end having simply worked with what they were given rather than give up and move up the tier list. I love seeing the look on people's faces when they lose to a low tier character with their top tier teddy bear. They came into this game thinking tiers are the indisputable determination of who will win. I personally take great pride in being known as "that one Young Link player". I would rather be known as that than as "that decent Falco player"; I'd be one in a million if I played Falco.

Judging by the tone of this thread, I think it should have been titled, "Being a low tier player makes winning tournaments freakin' hard." It is our choice to play low tier characters. Deal with it. I don't know about anyone else, but I never chose a low tier character simply because I thought high tier characters were 'cheap'.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
link is even with ganon, or it's slightly in ganon's favor, link is even with jiggs, y. link has an upperhand, link is even with peach, y. link has the upperhand, samus...don't know much but i think samus has the upperhand, and the ICs have the upperhand on link, they have more problems with y. link
But you mentioned Link vs Marth, which is an even matchup.

btw, Link has a slight advantage on Ganon and IC (spam ftw).
He has the upper hand on Peach (not as much as YLink), Jiggs (more than YLink), and Samus.

This is based of what I was told/read from Trevyn (Zarelid) and Germ, what I've noticed from other Links (like Azen and Aniki), and my own experience lol. I'm pretty sure you don't use Link when you go to tournaments.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
In response to this thread I say, yes, being a "low tier player" does make you unique and honorable. I have discovered that a smasher can build a reputation for himself much faster by focusing on a lower tier character than on a high tier one. I have infinitely more respect for players like GimpyFish (Bowser), Gojira (Bowser), Hero Sublime (Young Link), Coaxial Cable (Pichu), and others for placing so much emphasis on a character they use merely because they love it so much. They prove to be more skillful in the end having simply worked with what they were given rather than give up and move up the tier list. I love seeing the look on people's faces when they lose to a low tier character with their top tier teddy bear. They came into this game thinking tiers are the indisputable determination of who will win. I personally take great pride in being known as "that one Young Link player". I would rather be known as that than as "that decent Falco player"; I'd be one in a million if I played Falco.

Judging by the tone of this thread, I think it should have been titled, "Being a low tier player makes winning tournaments freakin' hard." It is our choice to play low tier characters. Deal with it. I don't know about anyone else, but I never chose a low tier character simply because I thought high tier characters were 'cheap'.
Another one I agree with. I also think it's stupid for people saying you just can't win with a low teir. That's not always true.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Here's my thoughts:

I don't care what tier character you play with (except Bowser. You do pushups if you lose to Bowser), as long as it's because it's what you're good with or want to be good with and you don't do one of the following:
1. Shove the fact that you won with a low-tier character in your opponent's face.
2. Claim that you lost only because you were using a lower-tier character.
3. Throw a controller at me.

I'm pretty sure this kind of thing has been mentioned before. Playing a low-tier character does not give you the right to gloat because of winning with it, nor does making an excuse about your character look any better. It may make you stand out from a crowd in a tournament, and hell, you may win with it, but expect the learning curve for a particularly low-tier character to be that much harder. And when you realize that, don't hurl a small piece of plastic and circuitry at me to relieve stress. It's a waste of a perfectly good Gamecube controller.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm about a 2400 mile drive from you. When can I expect you to get here?

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Who said it was impossible to win with a low tier character ankoku? Not me. It puts you at a disadvantage, and in a really competitive tournament you will not place in the top few spots.

Peeze

Smash Master
I think you used the wrong adjectives.
When i play(obviously I main G-dorf) against a good Marth, Sheik and Peach I feel good not honorable, I feel euphoric, because i used a "worse" player and still won.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yeah it's purty cool down here when I whip out the pichu and people instantly ask "are you LessThanThree." famous? lol, heck no. but I know the only reason they even think it is because I'm the only avid pichu player around. I enjoy beating people with the little chu, forcing people to think, "oh pichu isn't all that bad I need to step it" or "jeeze I guess I need to use my main" or "didn't know pichu could do that."

unique?
1. existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.
2. having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable: Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.
3. limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area: a species unique to Australia.
4. not typical; unusual: She has a very unique smile.

Mmm... yeah.

Honorable?
1. of high rank, dignity, or distinction; noble, illustrious, or distinguished.
2. worthy of honor and high respect; estimable; creditable.

I agree that playing a low teir alone won't get you that, but practice, determination, effort, with those you become a house hold name that truely is honored and looked up to.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Here's my thoughts:

I don't care what tier character you play with (except Bowser. You do pushups if you lose to Bowser), as long as it's because it's what you're good with or want to be good with and you don't do one of the following:
1. Shove the fact that you won with a low-tier character in your opponent's face.
2. Claim that you lost only because you were using a lower-tier character.
3. Throw a controller at me.

I'm pretty sure this kind of thing has been mentioned before. Playing a low-tier character does not give you the right to gloat because of winning with it, nor does making an excuse about your character look any better. It may make you stand out from a crowd in a tournament, and hell, you may win with it, but expect the learning curve for a particularly low-tier character to be that much harder. And when you realize that, don't hurl a small piece of plastic and circuitry at me to relieve stress. It's a waste of a perfectly good Gamecube controller.
You sounds like your speaking for experience with the controller thing...

Ceriph

Smash Apprentice
Amen to this, Some of my crew like to pick characters like game and watch, or mewtwo, or bowser because no one around here plays them often. Who the hell cares.

I play for fun with Fox, Falco, Marth, Link, Puff, Sheik, etc. Mostly high tier and top tier. But the reason I get fun out of it isn't solely because I win often, it's because I'm learning. I enjoy nothing more in a game then learning the tricks. WD, SHFFL, WS, JC, SHL, stuff like that, once I master it the gameplay will lessen yes but while it's new to me I enjoy trying the techs on them.

Personally though, when they pick Game n Watch, or Bowser, I pick marth or link just to punish for idiocy. Being unique is lame when everyone wants it it's the same as being trendy.

@ce

Smash Apprentice
you do know that a long *** time ago Marth wasn't top tier right? wasn't till Ken came and wooped pplz ***** that they were like whoa, marth is good. Same with IC, falco (tho hes always been pretty good), etc. The tier list here isnt the same in other countries therefore... play who u want. The tier list does give a good % chance of winning for each character, but once someone finds some new tech for a certain character or strategy, all of sudden they arent low tier anymore.

I think low-tier players(the ones who whine about that unique ****) are basically tryin to bring that character up in the tier list.

I play alot of characters because every character can have a lot of different playing styles/strategies and its fun. BUt i always still have my fox to fall back on.:laugh:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Another glorious aspect of playing a low tier character is that even if you lose, your opponent can't really go brag to his friends. "HA! I just beat that guy's Mewtwo." "..." :laugh:

$PITE

Smash Journeyman
This topic title is false. While it may not be honourable, you sure don't see many good low-tier players, so it does make you somewhat unique in a sense.

People who play low-tier characters for fun = win.
People who play low-tier characters and use the fact as an excuse for losing = lose.

As for me... high-tier characters hurt my hands.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
As for me... high-tier characters hurt my hands.
Yeah, I have hands slow as hell. I can't play Fox, or Falco. I play Kirby because I like him as a character, and he's fun.

I know it puts me at a disadvantage, but I could care less, I would lose if I had a top tier as my main, so it doesn't make a difference to me.

REØ

Smash Lord
I hate it when I beat someone who was using a low tier and they'll be like "I lost because I was using a low tier against a top tier character so it doesn't really make a difference." I just feel like saying STFU than stop playing that low tier character only to use him as a john for your losses. I don't mind if people play low tier characters as long as they don't brag about it.

Btw I use GAW if anyone cares for low tier tournies.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
If I lose I just say Good game, you have a really good (Insert character here.)

Nothing about my own character choice. If I'm playing my friends and get a nice KO I'll taunt them a little, but nothing in major tourneys.

hue_jass

Smash Cadet
I relate it to car racing, if a team has a choice they'll pick the fastest car obviously and when every team has a choice they'll also pick the fastest car and it all comes down to skill. unfortunately watching identical cars going aroudn the same ol track gets boring, now if you have some one who comes in with a slower car and manages to pull out a win, one can assume it takes a little more skill and finesse to win with an inferior product. I think that is what it boils down to. I play a mixture of characters but I'm most likely to take luigi then samus to a tourney, I simply hate playing against fox as the shines are just havoc and lead to low percentage deaths, I don't complain if I lose, but I feel like a really proved myself if I beat someone with a character who from all subjective angles is better in many ways. We all like rooting for the underdog.

basically it all boils down to this, it gets boring seeing the same ol faces at the top, using the same ol moves. It's more intersting to watch an underdog match, or even big comebacks

Top Bottom