• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

Sensai

Smash Master
He didn't judge him just by that. He just used it as evidence to prove a point.

He actually said a lot of stuff besides criticising Magnum.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
He didn't judge him just by that. He just used it as evidence to prove a point.

He actually said a lot of stuff besides criticising Magnum.
Just the fact that SHE mentioned his join date is enough. I was merely pointing out that one thing since numerous people do it eventhough they shouldn't.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
Magnum....rofl.

I think he's saying 'experience' as in the actual experience, not as in the Final Fantasy definition of the word.

And this isn't a place for people who want to win at Smash. The majority of the people come here looking to learn how to get better, but do you think a lot of people are THAT bad so they stay here for 3 or so years? No, we enjoy the game and we enjoy the evolution of the game, and also the people.

The boards give a sense of community, too.

No one likes losing...please, refrain from jumping to conclusions that aren't very well thought out.

HRC is a fun part of Smash, believe it or not. No, it's not the entire point of the game, but it's still fun. Remember in LoZ: OoT when you could fish? Same thing.

And if the majority of people are playing to win...that's really sad. So many things missed along the way.
so wait......let me get your points straight...............

1. people are here to get better
2. people don't play to win

so when people practice at basketball they are getting better to...........no it couldn't possibly be to win..........could it? get froed you fro

How would you know other people's opinnions? You're not a psychic. And you just joined here too, which means you've just scratched the surface of smashboards community. Oh and btw, 95% of the 6 million people that bought ssbm don't know anything about advanced techs, many of them members of smashboards, so how could they possibly only play to win when they are not into competive gaming yet? :/ Not everyone here learns advanced techs and those who learn might never get into competitive gaming either. And even if they did get into competitive gaming, that doesn't mean they don't have fun while playing.

Smashing is a social event and in social event, you can interact with different people, which can equal you having fun = smashing is fun. When playing smash, I don't concern myself whether I win or lose when not on a tournament or money match. I only hate losing on tournament matches when it's because in reality I'm the better player and it's not really my day, when on a good day I could have done much better. I'm much more concerned about whether I can learn anything about the match so I can get better. I use my time in friendlies to either mess around and have fun, or learn stuff and get better. Getting defeated by someone only shows that I still need practice and analysing why I was defeated and working on that makes me better, thus learning more from losing than winning matches. Of course that doesn't mean I cannot learn anything from winning matches nor that I lose all the time or that I love to lose to every person I meet. But hear me out, what I remember from the tournaments I've been in is having a great time, not how many matches I won or how many people I beat. In nature, smash is a party game and it would be extremely dull if one only cared about winning all the time, since they obviously aren't invincible. "Don't play to win, play to learn", as someone wise said here sometime. :3
1. lol, @ psychic comment
2. are you suggesting that near 6 million people who bought this game are all members of smashboards? ROFL
3. i never said competitive play =/= fun
4. why would you join this forum other than to learn how to get better......unless you like to comment on how strong roy's 1 hit ko move is.
5. "I don't concern myself whether I win or lose when not on a tournament or money match. I only hate losing on tournament matches when it's because in reality I'm the better player and it's not really my day, when on a good day I could have done much better." those two sentences following each other makes you look really stupid
6. you say you play to learn, not to win. but then why are you trying to learn? (hint: the answer is to win)

get froed

ggPeteQ

Smash Journeyman
go to a tournament and see how your link does.
I wouldn't talk bad about any low tier characters. You ever see Ken get ***** by a Link? I have. Go on youtube and look up Aniki vs. Ken and you'll see Marth eat boomerangs and bombs.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I wouldn't talk bad about any low tier characters. You ever see Ken get ***** by a Link? I have. Go on youtube and look up Aniki vs. Ken and you'll see Marth eat boomerangs and bombs.
That's because Marth vs Link is an even matchup. Link does well on Marth. Also....Ken didn't get ***** and he still beat Aniki....and Ken>>> Aniki.
Now...look at how many players do well in tournaments with low tiers compared to those who do well with high tiers?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
hmm

gimpyfish see's a topic that seemingly is bashing low tier users...

haha i have an opinion! LISTEN TO GIMPYFISH!

i read like the first page or 2 (40 posts per page of course) and saw a buncha garbs posts lol

ok so first and formost i play bowser because he is my favorite character ever, i've worked on making him the best he can possibly be and i think i've done myself a fine job. i get messaged all the time on aim/msn messenger from random nubs asking me for bowser advice all the time, the first thing i generally tell them is that if they truly want to be good at the game they really should switch to a top tier char, if they really want to play bowser, or just are looking for some tips on a secondary thats fine and i always help them out.

when i first started out (and was completely horrible... that was like just over a year ago) people would tell me ALL THE TIME to change my main... ALL THE TIME... thats something that can be really discouraging, i mean at that time i really wanted to be good at the game AND play bowser, i now know thats completely impossible, i consider myself mediocre at smash in general xD
anyways, picking up a high tier (read 'top tier') character IS unfortunately basically essential if you want to place really well, sure there are obviously the uber exceptions such as taj, who always does well and plays m2, but he also has a backup...

saying you wont really get recognized if you play a low tier character really well is also absolutely complete BS. the 'top players' of each character are generally very well known in teh smash community, but thats not why these players use their character.

the reason you should play a low tier character isn't for respect, or admiration, or anything like that. play the character you love, if you REALLY want to be one of the best, play a good character and dont limit yourself with the worse characters.

anyways i kinda just rambled on, its likely an incoherant post at best, just throwing random thoughts out there.

<3 bowser mains
<3 low tier players
<3 the REALLY good top tier players
</3 mediocre top tier players xD

boozer cute and so on and so forth rawr and the <3's... you know, common things gimpy does at the end of his posts? thats what this little paragraph is XD

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
<3 bowser mains
<3 low tier players
<3 the REALLY good top tier players
</3 mediocre top tier players xD
thats bull**** gimpy. are you saying that a person who sucks should go low tier until hes really good and then its ok for him to go top tier? the REALLY good top tier players weren't good instantly minus some exceptions, all of them were mediocre top tier players at one point. in fact i <3 mediocre top tier players more than any of the people on that list because they are the ones who arent stupid enough to go low tier and are persistent enough to keep playign the game even though they arent winning as much.

Sensai

Smash Master
Magnum...you don't have to be so mean. We're all friends here. :-D

And yes, you got my points exactly. People are here to get better, but that doesn't always mean to win.

To win at major tournies, that's not only looking at this. It's not like you look at this and you're all of a sudden great.

I started to look at this when my friends did, just so I could keep up. I don't really see myself winning MLG, nor do I really want to. Sure, it'd be nice...but it's not what I'm going for.

And what the hell does 'get froed' mean, haha. I'm assuming it's not like....hair fro, right?

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
Magnum...you don't have to be so mean. We're all friends here. :-D
i am not your friend

And yes, you got my points exactly. People are here to get better, but that doesn't always mean to win.
yes it does, you fail at logical conclusions

I started to look at this when my friends did, just so I could keep up. I don't really see myself winning MLG, nor do I really want to. Sure, it'd be nice...but it's not what I'm going for.
keep up with what......ITS ****ING WINNING JESUS CHRIST YOU WANT TO KEEP UP WITH WINNING NO ONE PLAYS THIS GAME TO LOSE THEREFORE THEY MUST PLAY THIS GAME TO WIN BECAUSE NO ONE CAN TIE.
And what the hell does 'get froed' mean, haha. I'm assuming it's not like....hair fro, right?
you are too much of a noob to understand even if it was explained to you. gfs.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Umm, there's alot of anger coming from Magnum right now...the Yoshi boards are friendly...we're not used to this kind of thing, but here goes:

I play Yoshi because he's a badass mother f-er. No, really, because he's awesome to play as. In fact, someday, I want to be really really good with him and be decent competition in high level tourneys. I know this is nigh impssible, but I'm sticking with my guns (read: my Yoshi guns) and I'm never changing my main, EVER. Unless he's uncool in brawl, which is hard to imagine. In fact, the only things holding him back from brokenness are:
1.) Can't jump out of shield.
2.) No third jump.
I can see both of those getting fixed sometime...

Yoshi ftw.

7ak

Smash Journeyman
Playing a "low tier" character doesn't give you any honor or respect.............playing a "low tier" character WELL does. I started with Falco because I was amazed at the vids I saw of pro Falco players and he is still one of my favorites........but as I got bored with nonstop Falco and started to play around with the "lower tier" characters I realized how much fun they are to use.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's not the character, it's the player. People don't invest time in characters they consider "bad"........they play a decent high tier player and lose........and thus conclude that the low tier character they used is garbage. I was the same way before I actually bothered to put in a little practice with what I once considered useless characters like Y. Link, Yoshi, and Ness.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
all I know is Magnum has a horrible understanding of how smash works. And a horrible attitude.
roflmao, really? money match?

Playing a "low tier" character doesn't give you any honor or respect.............playing a "low tier" character WELL does. I started with Falco because I was amazed at the vids I saw of pro Falco players and he is still one of my favorites........but as I got bored with nonstop Falco and started to play around with the "lower tier" characters I realized how much fun they are to use.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's not the character, it's the player. People don't invest time in characters they consider "bad"........they play a decent high tier player and lose........and thus conclude that the low tier character they used is garbage. I was the same way before I actually bothered to put in a little practice with what I once considered useless characters like Y. Link, Yoshi, and Ness.
quick question, how many pros have you played?

7ak

Smash Journeyman
many. and it is obvious that you haven't played any....ever.
Ok let me rephrase that: How many pros have you beaten in a set?

Hmmmm..........I tremble in fear of the name Magnum Opus..........soon he shall dominate the power rankings after losing to "pros" that don't make the top 50.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
Ok let me rephrase that: How many pros have you beaten in a set?

Hmmmm..........I tremble in fear of the name Magnum Opus..........soon he shall dominate the power rankings after losing to "pros" that don't make the top 50.
are you ****ing stupid? when did i ever imply that i've beaten pros? the reason why im not pro and they are pro is that they consistently beat me. there is no shame in that. but by playing them and learning the game from them i know that tiers do exist. how many pros do you see using low tier? 1? 2? everyone else uses top tier. if you ever played a pro, you would learn, hopefully quickly, that playing ness and young link gets you nowhere. and i GUARANTEE i can birch you so hard you will learn the meaning of "get froed" to the fullest degree.

7ak

Smash Journeyman
Pro groupie alert........pro groupie alert.........get a life please. When did I say I main Y.Link and Ness?............Jesus. You're the kind of loser who wastes hours and hours sucking up to pros on DC++, who loses to them in sandbag friendlies and basks in their "pro" glow, and then comes trolling on Smashboards to pick fights and laugh at the ignorant "n00bz" lolz gg roflcopter.

Keep up alive bro.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
people dont invest time in characters they consider bad?

bowser is f'ing terrible, hes one of the worst in the game by far, wtf

hes so terrible i can hardly stand it. yeah, i understand that and it makes me much smarter than you because i understand things like matchups and tiers. understanding the horrible disadvantage i have and making myself work around it.

playing bowser is like playing chess with only the front row of pawns and your king, or like playing checkers and starting with 3 pieces. the odds dont favor you.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
Pro groupie alert........pro groupie alert.........get a life please. When did I say I main Y.Link and Ness?............Jesus. You're the kind of loser who wastes hours and hours sucking up to pros on DC++, who loses to them in sandbag friendlies and basks in their "pro" glow, and then comes trolling on Smashboards to pick fights and laugh at the ignorant "n00bz" lolz gg roflcopter.

Keep up alive bro.
man i tried reading that but all i could see was

"johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, and more johns."

oh and btw for future references i dont go on dc++ to suck up to pros, instead i like go out and play with them and become like, you know, friends with them?

however, im an admitted eddie howells groupie but who isn't?

7ak

Smash Journeyman
people dont invest time in characters they consider bad?

bowser is f'ing terrible, hes one of the worst in the game by far, wtf

hes so terrible i can hardly stand it. yeah, i understand that and it makes me much smarter than you because i understand things like matchups and tiers. understanding the horrible disadvantage i have and making myself work around it.

playing bowser is like playing chess with only the front row of pawns and your king, or like playing checkers and starting with 3 pieces. the odds dont favor you.
Why don't I understand matchups and tiers? Because I said people don't invest any time in the weak characters?

The majority of people DON'T take the time to learn the "bad" characters because they get beaten so easily by Ganon on up. Playing with a handicap doesn't necessarily make you a better player and it doesn't make you any "smarter" than me or your opinion any more correct than mine.

Bowser is a horrible character but a smart Bowser can still beat quite a few characters if played right. Your chess/checkers analogy is pretty flawed too........I don't think many professional chess players would enjoy playing with pawns and a king.

Do you people come from another planet?

7ak

Smash Journeyman
man i tried reading that but all i could see was

"johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, johns, and more johns."

oh and btw for future references i dont go on dc++ to suck up to pros, instead i like go out and play with them and become like, you know, friends with them?

however, im an admitted eddie howells groupie but who isn't?
I would give you credit for typing out "johns" that many times, but I know you used paste. I will give you credit for admitting you're an Eddie fanboy.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
did you just tell me what bowser can do?

tahts a nono around here just FYI.

how is my analogy flawed? i SUPPOSE i didn't give the chess pieces a PERSONALITY to go with it, like the charcters have in the game. my bad

7ak

Smash Journeyman

how is my analogy flawed? i SUPPOSE i didn't give the chess pieces a PERSONALITY to go with it, like the charcters have in the game. my bad
What is wrong with your attitude? I said Bowser can do alright in some matchups if the player knows how to use Bowser.........I didn't say "Gather round children and I shall teach ye the secrets of Bowser because I am a Bowser master, moreso than Gimpyfish."

I personally don't care if you are reputed to be a good Bowser player.......congratulations.......what I don't like is your knowitall arrogance regarding all things "Boozer".

Also your chess analogy is ridiculous........pawns and a king vs. a full set.........come on. Bowser may be handicapped but he's got a few good moves.............nobody who plays chess intentionally handicaps themselves to the point where they cannot possibly win.......picking Bowser doesn't equal instant loss.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
What is wrong with your attitude? I said Bowser can do alright in some matchups if the player knows how to use Bowser.........I didn't say "Gather round children and I shall teach ye the secrets of Bowser because I am a Bowser master, moreso than Gimpyfish."

I personally don't care if you are reputed to be a good Bowser player.......congratulations.......what I don't like is your knowitall arrogance regarding all things "Boozer".

Also your chess analogy is ridiculous........pawns and a king vs. a full set.........come on. Bowser may be handicapped but he's got a few good moves.............nobody who plays chess intentionally handicaps themselves to the point where they cannot possibly win.......picking Bowser doesn't equal instant loss.
no, bowser sucks vs all characters.

and yes, his analogy is accurate.

psyk

Smash Apprentice

my parents call the white pieces in chess "butterschotch"(sp) and the black ones "chocholate", also my parents are fat.

Okay well neways, i think that if u wanna win wit a lower tier character, u gotta be REALLY good, but if not, and u plan on getting far in tourneys, stick wit the high tier.

7ak

Smash Journeyman
my parents call the white pieces in chess "butterschotch"(sp) and the black ones "chocholate", also my parents are fat.

Okay well neways, i think that if u wanna win wit a lower tier character, u gotta be REALLY good, but if not, and u plan on getting far in tourneys, stick wit the high tier.
This is the most intelligent post in the thread yet...........no I'm not joking.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind playing with just pawns and a king, btw I tied for third at a major chess tournament. That was a long time ago though.

edit: in conclusion though I find the analogy pretty accurate, and I'm not trying to brag mainly just including some information to give my argument more weight.

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
Low tier characters are low tier because people don't bother to play them. I mean, well of course people play them, but honestly how many? and on a competitive level? Fox, Shiek, Marth, etc. Jumped to the top of the tier list because they were the most appealing and easy to understand how to use when smash bros. came out. Tier lists are all about what abilitys and skills we know a character has and how they can use that to there advantage against others. Low tier characters stick to low tier because not enough people bother to play with them because they are not as 'easy to be good with' and therefore no one learns new stuff about them.

High tier characters escalate at a much higher level because more is known about them and its easy to get info on how to be good with them. High tier characters are high tier because they are loved.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
Low tier characters are low tier because people don't bother to play them. I mean, well of course people play them, but honestly how many? and on a competitive level? Fox, Shiek, Marth, etc. Jumped to the top of the tier list because they were the most appealing and easy to understand how to use when smash bros. came out. Tier lists are all about what abilitys and skills we know a character has and how they can use that to there advantage against others. Low tier characters stick to low tier because not enough people bother to play with them because they are not as 'easy to be good with' and therefore no one learns new stuff about them.

High tier characters escalate at a much higher level because more is known about them and its easy to get info on how to be good with them. High tier characters are high tier because they are loved.
this is the most ignorant post i've ever read.

lets compare two characters

ylink = easy as hell to understand. spam projectiles. use mindgames. people have known this since day one. there is nothing fancy about him

fox = insane tech **** that is only now being fully realised as truly amazing.

people know what all characters are capable of. that is why they dont play low tiers. they are not NEARLY as capable as top tier. that is what makes top tier top tier, not "people play them more often durrrrrrr"

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
its called 'I dont take the time to see who I like I just pick the top tier character so I can easily make my way to the top but its not like im actually going to get anywhere in smash anyways.' thats what you sound like.

Dragonstar101

Smash Journeyman
In case anybody does'nt know the tier list is a list thats based on which character wins most of the tournamants that take place around the world. It does'nt matter which character you pick because it's all about mindgames. Ive seen bowsers destroy foxes all the time. And pichu.... Omg pichu is a BEAST!!! People just don't take the time to unlock every character's potential.

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
In case anybody does'nt know the tier list is a list thats based on which character wins most of the tournamants that take place around the world. It does'nt matter which character you pick because it's all about mindgames. Ive seen bowsers destroy foxes all the time. And pichu.... Omg pichu is a BEAST!!! People just don't take the time to unlock every character's potential.
Wise words. And Tier Lists are a list to compare who stacks up against characters better than others.

So according to this list most of the time a shiek will beat a mewtwo or pichu Mr G & C so on and so forth. Its basically who has a natural advantage based on what they now about the characters. (yeah tourneys are a big part of how they find it out i would assume)

Kroy

Smash Apprentice
Where you'd least suspect. That's right you know.
Okay, top tier is top tier simply because those characters have fewer built-in faults than other characters. When you don't have to focus on covering your weaknesses you can enter a whole other level of play. Ideally you could tap any character for a wellspring of potential, but the higher tier characters are played the most competitively. Therefore the most people will put the most effort into perfecting those characters.

Lower tier charries often can serve as shockers, forcing someone of having to think around just avoiding the shinespike, or the pillar, or stopping Shieks Dash-attack spam. Recently, I forgot the player's name, played DK at MLG and did extremely well. Why? Because few people have seen a good DK, much less played one extensively. Sure you might have fought Fox a thousand times. You, know all his moves. Yet, since he has few weaknesses, mindgames can still keep you off balance. Conversely DK has many exploitable weaknesses, and must adhere to a certain degree of caution or be punished. Your mindgames are limited by the characters weakness. And when another player can break through your mindgames and exploit those flaws you end up losing.

That's not to say everyone who plays high tier plays to win. There are actually a good amount of people who may play seriously, but still have fun win or lose. I don't like to speak for other people, yet I understand what most of the people here are trying to say. Losing a lot is not fun, but a needed thing. Unless you suck at life, losing means a chance to improve yourself and prove your skill to others. Playing higher tier characters is often considered fun , because you lose less. Then again, who doesn't enjoy Mewtwo beating Fox in a match?

This is just the breakdown of the competitive mentality. Play whoever the hell you want to . Don't be a john and don't be an a$$. Be confident in your skill and don't let the cynics tell you what to do.

Good god that was long. Sorry is that was to authoritative.

Top Bottom