• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

Kroy

Smash Apprentice
Where you'd least suspect. That's right you know.
Just saying

My take on the whole idea of playing lower tier is that you choose fun over winning. If you want to win play Fox or Falcon, even Shiek and have a good time with it. Don't go around saying the lower tiers suck, or that if you don't use these characters you're a noob, because it makes people think you are an a$$hole. Additionally, don't suggest people switch characters either. Players should only change their characters of their own atrition.

For the lower tiers it's all about fun. Choose whoever and master that character. Maybe one day you'll knock off a good player who uses Fox or Falco. But, you should never call the higher tier characters cheap, or belittle people who use them. Yes, it is boring if you only end up having Fox and Falco dittos for the latter parts of a tournament, but that is the nature of the game.

Universally, it takes skill to play any character competitively, it's just that higher tier characters are at an advantage from the start. I for the longest time only played CF until I ran into a character named Shiek, and picked up Shiek. It wasn't because I realized that C. Falcon was inferioir (in fact I still play him the most), its just I wanted to play more effectively at a higher level. Afterword, I also picked up a smattering of characters (Jiggs, Marth and Peach).

Don't be a john don't be an a$$ and the smash community will be that much better off. Of course that won't happen ever so I guess I've wasted my time.:chuckle:

And lastly to pose a question, how many newbies have picked up Fox, Falco, or Shiek simply because they are the "best" characters, do you think?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
And lastly to pose a question, how many newbies have picked up Fox, Falco, or Shiek simply because they are the "best" characters, do you think?
Way too many.
Without these people, tournaments wouldn't be full of Fox/Falco/Shiek players. It's impossible for so many people to consequently like the same 3 characters out of 26 lol

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
A good question. It looks like a huge majority of new players start off with Fox, probably because they see the tier lists and simply pick the top one. Then a lot of them realise that for Fox to truely be the best in the game, you have to truely master him, and they give up on him and try various other mains.

The reason I think this is because people often look surprised when I tell them my first "advanced" main character was in fact Samus, and not a God-Tier character.

So yes, it occurs to me now that that question was probably rhetorical...so I'ma answer something else now ^_^

fox386 said:
Are these tier lists sponsored by Nintendo?
No, they aren't, and the reason why? Because tournies don't acualy play SSBM the way the game was meant to be played. Tier lists are for characters facing each other one on one with no items, in a level with no random factors to it. But SSBM is a game thats MADE to be a chaotic, 4way free for all match with items flying all over the place and explosive boxes spawning over people's heads and taking their last stock in a close match.

A good example is Mewtwo. He's way low in the Tier lists, because he's floaty, easy to KO, and not too strong. But give him a beamsword or a fan and watch his dash attack eat through sheilds so fast it would be overwhelming. Suddenly, you're opponent fears using his sheild, and you gain a large advantage until you lose the sword/fan. This would evidently make Mewtwo much higher on the tiers. Turning items off essencially deprives him of the way he "keeps up" with the other characters.

On the other end of the spectrum, Marth is very high on the Tier lists. 90% of the reason for this is his oh-so-hated GIGANTIC disjointed hitboxes on every single one of his attacks. This, combined with the startup times of near-zero on his aerials, make his air game so incredibly superior to everyone else's that nobody can get near him. Also, because his sweetspot is at the tip of his sword, a good Marth who has practiced his spacing and is very good at tipping on most of his attacks not only outranges and outspeeds his foes, but does crazy damage and has excellent knockback doing so.

...but turn items on, and the foe he is facing can pick up a beamsword and ALSO gain a disjointed hitbox. And guess what? A beamsword's sweetspot is also at it's tip! Suddenly, Marth's advantages aren't so great, and the other character is on par with his range and power.

And just because I thought of it, heres a third example (I'll try to keep this one short >_<). Kirby is low tier, mostly because he's floaty and lacks the air control jiggs has, while his attacks don't have nearly the priority jiggs' fair and bair have. But on a level like Big Blue (which is banned in tournaments), Kirby has a gigantic advantage, beeing able to hop around the constantly moving platforms and stay alive. A Fox on that level against him, with his fastfaller-ness and short jump, would have a lot of trouble keeping up, and would probably be forced to use his predictable third jump to survive, which Kirby could take advantage of. Kirby could also uses his kickass meteor drillkick (his dair) to toss Fox's fastfalling arse into the road for some low % cheapo-KOs. In short, Kirby could win that match by using his enviroment to his advantage.

So, at long last, my conclusion is that the Tier lists only exist because tournies remove so many aspects of smash that would otherwise give the lower end characters the advantages they need to keep up with the faster/stronger/farther reaching counterparts.

*Solumnly swears never to write a post this long, ever again*

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Why does it matter who you pick? Yeah your not god if you can play with a low-teir character but you seem to make it out to be that they'll lose hardcore. Not always the case.
I'm the Link in the sig and proud of it. Link is just my favorite Nintendo character in smash and I can handle my friends just fine. I lose a lot, but I give'em all a fight and enjoy doing it.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I'm the Link in the sig and proud of it.
That's what annoys me; people who find pride just for choosing a low tier character. Yea, I use Link as well, but I only see it as "playing with a different character" and nothing more.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
What's wrong with being proud of your character? Just because a character is low tier doesn't mean you can't be proud.

I'm proud of my Game & Watch, but not because he's low tier. I'm proud because I'm talented with him. I use him well. If I were a Falco or Marth user I'd be just as proud.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
What's wrong with being proud of your character? Just because a character is low tier doesn't mean you can't be proud. Elitist much?

I'm proud of my Game & Watch, but not because he's low tier. I'm proud because I'm talented with him. I use him well. If I were a Falco or Marth user I'd be just as proud.
don't jsut be proud of who you use, be confident too, if you feel you're confident with g&w then use g&w, if not then use someone else

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
What's wrong with being proud of your character? Just because a character is low tier doesn't mean you can't be proud. Elitist much?
Being proud just because your character is low tier is pretty ******** and worthless. It's almost like choosing Fox because he's Top Tier. I use Link because I love using him, not simply because of where he is on the Tier List....catch my drift?
There you go

Sensai

Smash Master
I haven't read the whole thread...sorry if I just reiterate what a lot of people are saying.

Playing low tier for a lot of people is kinda like insulting someone. I don't think anyone (or at least anyone I know) plays low tier just because they think high tier is 'cheap' or 'dishonorable'. I think they play low tier because it's almost like '****, you just got beat by a Ness.'

Having pride in your character, regardless of standing in the tier list, is fine. Hubris, however, is different. (If you don't know the word, look it up.)

Seanson

Smash Ace
Playing low tier for a lot of people is kinda like insulting someone. I don't think anyone (or at least anyone I know) plays low tier just because they think high tier is 'cheap' or 'dishonorable'. I think they play low tier because it's almost like '****, you just got beat by a Ness.'
On the other end, having low tier is a way of justifying your loss.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
the next time i hear a low tier player complain about fox i'll say " Ok, use fox next tournament , the character thate everyone practices against see if you do better cuz i know u wont" i know they'll be like no i dont wanna be a f@g and play high tier but in reality i hear " im not rly skilled enough to play him"
GG
To be honest, that last part is a true statement for me. I'm just not fast enough to waveshine, I can hardly evenshort hop with Fox, and I can't use Fox or Falco the way they're supposed to be used. (My name's 56K for a reason, I have a very slow playing style. Also a G&W pun because he's old and laggy.) However I didn't porposely start out low tier. I play G&W thanks in part to a vid of ChuDat's G&W that just blew my mind. But after using G&W, and slowly incorporating SHFFL, WD and the other techs into my game, I started using several other characters (I wanted to be like Azen lol) and I'm moderately skilled with them.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
Ok. this is the bottom line. no one good mains low tier only. dire is the exception. playing low tier doesnt make you unique, it only handicaps you. winning with low tier only means you are playing someone who either A: sucks or B: doesnt know how to play against that character because no one plays him. once a good player learns how to play against him, then it is done, as most low tier only have a few trixies they can use. losing with low tier means you can use an instant john, "hes low tier". and trust me i love this john more than anyone else :). now, there is nothing wrong with maining top tier, and having one or two low tier characters to use for counterpicks. this is what i do, and it has allowed me to win matches that i normally wouldn't be able to win w/o having a low tier. why? because sometimes i face someone who is very technical, and has lots of practice against the top tiers. then i send out my low tier, use mindgames, and win a clutch counterpick, or w/e. but maining low tier is the equivalent of saying either "im really stupid", or, "i dont feel like losing w/o being able to make a john"

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
im a link main.

hes slow, fat, ugly, and has a tough time finishing opponents compared to other characters. too bad smash bros breaks down to what is a sliver off of 100% down to mindgames. outthink your opponent and know strengths and weaknesses your character whoever it may be. and if i pwn your high tier main.. cry about it and ill pass you a tissue to shed your tiers you little b!atch!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MikeMan445

Smash Journeyman
im a link main.

hes slow, fat, ugly, and has a tough time finishing opponents compared to other characters. too bad smash bros breaks down to what is a sliver off of 100% down to mindgames. outthink your opponent and know strengths and weaknesses your character whoever it may be. and if i pwn your high tier main.. cry about it and ill pass you a tissue to shed your tiers you little b!atch!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Man **** your link :lick:

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Being proud just because your character is low tier is pretty ******** and worthless. It's almost like choosing Fox because he's Top Tier. I use Link because I love using him, not simply because of where he is on the Tier List....catch my drift?

There you go
Did I ever say that I was proud just because I'm a Link player. No. Read the rest...

I'm proud of what I can do with him,as well as the fact that he's my favorite character.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
actually playing low tier characters have really changed up my overall game. For one it helps me understand all of the characters so I know a little more of what to expect when I fight one. The other is the fact that I tend to really have to turn up my mindgames instead of doing my brainless waveshine combos to people (they are easy to start and easy to follow through with). Playing a lot of different characters has helped keep me from slipping into a predictable style of gameplay.

Anyway I pretty much play low tier because they are fun.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
im a link main.

go to a tournament and see how your link does.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
It's fun to play as low tier characters to work on mind games so then when you move back to your high tier characters, then it seems easier to win. The trick is not to let your game slow down.

And good point Magnum man.

Samochan

Smash Master
actually, it is, otherwise you shouldn't post on smashboards, a forum for people who want to learn how to win at this game.
Correction, a forum of people who play this game, not to learn how win at this game. Smashing is social event and fun and will always be like that, winning big games on tournaments is only one part of the competitive gaming, friendlies on tournaments do exist. Don't state something as a fact when it's not, especially since this is just your opinnion entirely and I'm pretty certain that not many here agree with you. :/

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
Correction, a forum of people who play this game, not to learn how win at this game. Smashing is social event and fun and will always be like that, winning big games on tournaments is only one part of the competitive gaming, friendlies on tournaments do exist. Don't state something as a fact when it's not, especially since this is just your opinnion entirely and I'm pretty certain that not many here agree with you. :/
it just so happens the majority of people find winning to be the most fun form of playing smash, therefore a majority do agree with me. if you like losing or doing home run contest by yourself go to gamefaqs

Link226

Smash Ace
I dont think playing with a low tier character makes u unique or honorable....but i think he user do deserve a little more respect than the usual top tier player. Especially if they win alot with them...its just because like everyones admitting in this thread top tier characters DO TAKE LESS EXPERIENCE TO PLAY WITH. Well i shouldnt say experience....cuz im pretty sure fox is extremely hard for some people to handle. So i think the word im looking for is a lil easier. But then again this isnt the case sometimes because like me.....fox is a lil difficult to handle.....his speed is a lil to much 4 me....But if your trying to win with people like Zelda and **** you shouldnt use it as a john....simply because your using her....u can change whenever u want. If u cant agree with this post your in denial. :)

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
it just so happens the majority of people find winning to be the most fun form of playing smash, therefore a majority do agree with me. if you like losing or doing home run contest by yourself go to gamefaqs
If you like winning so much then stop using roy.

Victory is fun, but defeat is where the experience matters.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
low tiers are cool and all, but nothing to feel special about, but hey, i think it's pretty cool when a low tier beats teh crap outta fox

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
If you like winning so much then stop using roy.

Victory is fun, but defeat is where the experience matters.
lol, did you read my previous post at all? i dont use roy as my main, i only use him for counterpicks or when i know my opponent has no idea wtf is going on.

next, wtf does that even mean? if you are defeated then it shows you have a lack of experience...........that makes no sense at all

mood4food77

Smash Hero
when you get defeated, you let's you know that you did bad and what you need to work on, if you keep winning, you won't know what you need to work on

like me for example, i've never won a match at a tournament yet, i had horrible mindgames and i couldn't tech for my life, i've worked on it a lot now and hopefully it pays off for when i go to my next tournament

Sensai

Smash Master
Magnum....rofl.

I think he's saying 'experience' as in the actual experience, not as in the Final Fantasy definition of the word.

And this isn't a place for people who want to win at Smash. The majority of the people come here looking to learn how to get better, but do you think a lot of people are THAT bad so they stay here for 3 or so years? No, we enjoy the game and we enjoy the evolution of the game, and also the people.

The boards give a sense of community, too.

Magnum Opus said:
No one likes losing...please, refrain from jumping to conclusions that aren't very well thought out.

HRC is a fun part of Smash, believe it or not. No, it's not the entire point of the game, but it's still fun. Remember in LoZ: OoT when you could fish? Same thing.

And if the majority of people are playing to win...that's really sad. So many things missed along the way.

Samochan

Smash Master
How would you know other people's opinnions? You're not a psychic. And you just joined here too, which means you've just scratched the surface of smashboards community. Oh and btw, 95% of the 6 million people that bought ssbm don't know anything about advanced techs, many of them members of smashboards, so how could they possibly only play to win when they are not into competive gaming yet? :/ Not everyone here learns advanced techs and those who learn might never get into competitive gaming either. And even if they did get into competitive gaming, that doesn't mean they don't have fun while playing.

Smashing is a social event and in social event, you can interact with different people, which can equal you having fun = smashing is fun. When playing smash, I don't concern myself whether I win or lose when not on a tournament or money match. I only hate losing on tournament matches when it's because in reality I'm the better player and it's not really my day, when on a good day I could have done much better. I'm much more concerned about whether I can learn anything about the match so I can get better. I use my time in friendlies to either mess around and have fun, or learn stuff and get better. Getting defeated by someone only shows that I still need practice and analysing why I was defeated and working on that makes me better, thus learning more from losing than winning matches. Of course that doesn't mean I cannot learn anything from winning matches nor that I lose all the time or that I love to lose to every person I meet. But hear me out, what I remember from the tournaments I've been in is having a great time, not how many matches I won or how many people I beat. In nature, smash is a party game and it would be extremely dull if one only cared about winning all the time, since they obviously aren't invincible. "Don't play to win, play to learn", as someone wise said here sometime. :3

Link-NY

Smash Ace
Ppl that take great pride in using a low tier in tournies also take pride in being the first to be knocked out of a tourney.:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Aiser

Smash Lord
>_> I don't take pride in using a character.

I take pride in landing sexy combos :D

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
How would you know other people's opinnions? You're not a psychic. And you just joined here too, which means you've just scratched the surface of smashboards community. Oh and btw, 95% of the 6 million people that bought ssbm don't know anything about advanced techs, many of them members of smashboards, so how could they possibly only play to win when they are not into competive gaming yet? :/ Not everyone here learns advanced techs and those who learn might never get into competitive gaming either. And even if they did get into competitive gaming, that doesn't mean they don't have fun while playing.
Samochan, eventhough Magum just joined, he's pretty well known among some experienced players and has a good understanding of the game. Eventhough alot of people do it, you shouldn't judge someone on their join date, rather, judge them on their knowledge of the game.

Top Bottom