• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beating the Infinite. Feel free to add.

chaddd

Smash Lord
I'm posting this in the IC forums because they have the only REAL infinite in the game.

Honestly, as I read discussions about it, I just don't understand the smash community's viewpoint on infinites. More so the IC infinite. I've been playing competetive fighting games for about 7 1/2 years now, going to tournaments and such. I've seen a LOT worse than the stupid little IC infinite, yet people refer to it like it's the lamest and cheapest thing in existence. I used to be state ranked in Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and Capcom Vs SNK 2. Both of those games had infinites. Infinites so bad that they make the waveshine look like the simplest garbage around.

But for some reason, everyone shares the idea in the Smash community that infinites are bad. A long time ago, I learned that being as cheap as possible in a game is the only way to actually win any tournaments. Top players don't have room for words like "cheap" and "lame". In the Marvel 2 community, we always said that if you ever made a top player call you cheap, you know you had just come up with some awesome strategy.

It's not as though it particularly hard to space an Ice Climber long enough for you to kill Nana. I mean, how hard is it to kill that stupid female dwarf? She just stands there waiting to get punched. There are several tactics to avoid the infinite, expecially at low damage. The idea that people are so afraid of this tactic seems to illustrate the differing level of skill of the average player for a game like Smash, and the average player for a game like Marvel 2.

Infinites aren't cheap. Infinites have been around since Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (oh yes, have you ever played a good Balrog?). They exist in almost every Capcom fighter ever released, and are not limited to just fighting games, either. Go to YouTube, type in Marvel vs Capcom 2 Infinites, and then re evaluate what you call cheap and broken. I've been trying to figure out forever why when someone comes up with some broken stuff in Smash Brothers, they are immediately shunned and criticized for using it. I, personally, found the Ice Climbers Infinite simple, and the fuss people are making about it is rediculous.

So before I go, I would like to give a few tips to help you not ever get grabbed by the Ice Climbers. And this is all based on the idea that your opponent can flawlessly time the infinite. Ready?

-Pick Falco and spam lasers and shffl. d-airs while running. Sets up some nasty combos, and last time I checked, the IC can't grab Falco out of a well timed d-air.

-Fox with the hop/shine spike action. With how slippery the IC are, it's not difficult to lame them off the stage, a tactic that makes Fox WAY outclass the IC.

-Ganondorf with retreating shffl'd f-airs and tilts is a godly way to space those slippery ******* out of their grab range. And if they block it, they still slide enough for them to be pushed back.

-Marth is the god of all spacers. Just go play around with some forward smashes. The IC slide so much that it's barely difficult.

-Link is pretty good at spacing those Ice Climbers with all his spam.

-Samus is just as good as Link at the spamfest.

Finally, the easiest of all solutions:

-Pick the effing Ice Climbers! The Ice Climbers can't infinite another set of Ice Climbers if you have any idea what you're doing.

Feel free to add what you'd like.

This is simply an effort to get the Smash community to stop TALKING about how lame something is and actually DO something to beat it. When someone comes up with something insanely dirty, don't just complain about how cheap it is, come up with something cheaper! It's all about how you look at the game. The IC infinite is not and never will be the end of smash playing as we know it. Go out there and counter it!

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Did you ever think the reason that Smash's notable lack of infinites IS the reason that people get so riled up over Wobbling?

If every single character had an infinite, then infinites are no longer such a big deal; it's a matter of who lands one first.

But if only one character had a true infinite, it makes that character seem unbalanced compared to all the others.

chaddd

Smash Lord
Did you ever think the reason that Smash's notable lack of infinites IS the reason that people get so riled up over Wobbling?

If every single character had an infinite, then infinites are no longer such a big deal; it's a matter of who lands one first.

But if only one character had a true infinite, it makes that character seem unbalanced compared to all the others.
You didn't listen at all, did you?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
fox has an infinite too

what the real controversy over the infinite is the rules of MLG

the rule specifically states that if a player uses a technique that results instantly in death and cannot be escaped, if it is performed, the player who performed it must suicide twice

both the IC infinite and the infinite drill shine are techniques that result in instant death, the only problem is that players get away with it, so technically by MLG standards it should be banned but it isn't, that's why people make a big deal out of it

Smash Master
You're pointers for not getting grabbed are good, for the most part (The IC's can still wavedash in and get a grab during the lag of Ganon's tilts and Marth's forward smash.) The problem is that if you make one mistake, there goes your stock. If you make one mistake against Fox, you might eat 30 damage (as lond as you don't make the mistake off the stage). Against Falco, maybe 50 after bad Pillar DI. Against Peach, jesus you'll take like 70 but it's still not the stock. With IC's if you make one tiny error, like a missed l-cancel, bam. Stock over. The infinite is entirely preventable, but you have to be playing at least as good as the IC player for the entire match, minus three points in the match, whereas the IC's can make a lot more than three mistakes and not lose all four stocks.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Because I have played some of the other fighters you mentioned, I really had no qualms about using the infinite.

And, to be honest, I also think that the general level of real fighting skill in the smash community is quite low. Very few Smashers play any other games, and if we were to, we'd probably get stomped.

But you know what most people's gripe about the infinite is? It's really, really easy to execute (if not to place). The rhythmic tapping of the A button leading to a stock kind of annoys a lot of people. Me, I don't give a ****. I've been infinited, combo'ed, spammed, played games with utterly broken characters, and all I can say is "meh." At least the infinite only takes out 1/4 of your "life." It's like a powerful grab in an ordinary 2d fighter. Now that I think about it, most grabs in SC2 would do about that much of your health bar. Four grabs and I win. Hardly considered "cheap," now is it?

Ergh, that was a horribly written post.

D1

Banned via Administration
Wobblez I for one don't look at it as something cheap since it can be avoided if you don't get grabbed, or if the opponent screws it up. Its as mean as an accurate combo from zero to death performed by a high level player except it takes less skill (in most pplz opinions) to do.

Meh...anything that makes ICz higher in the tier list might as well be kept...not that many of them winning tourneys anyway.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
I laughed when I heard about the IC infinite. I for one, love it. I love it and... I play MARTH not the IC. Why do I love it? Because it helps people win and they are abusing it, which makes me warm and fuzzy inside. I love abusing every move I can. Chaingrabbing against Falco? HELLS YEAH! Ever since I started playing video games I always abused things to win. On most mmorpgs and whatnot, I abuse glitches. Things that make me invincible and whatnot. People hate it, but I always win. What I am trying to say, is that in competitive video gaming, there is no such thing as "cheap". Also, did anyone ever read that article about "cheapness" and how its good and all about the "scrubs"?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol, IC players grow to love the infinite. It gives us a chance against peaches, marths, gimpy foxes and such. And Wobbles, it may be easy for YOU, but honestly I think it's quite hard to set up and execute.

I completely agree with chaddd. Winning is the only thing that matters in tournaments, so infinites are good way to go. Azen said it himself in an MLG interview that the best advice to smashers is to play gimpy, abuse Marth's smash xD.

Therefore, I think the only bad thing about the infinite is the emotional distress it puts on the victim, thus the cause of debate :p. When players get waveshined or chaingrabbed to death, you don't see them complain because they see it so often. They could've made an effort to escape it, but they lacked the ability to. Because they're making an effort, they are psychologically content.

The infinite, however, disallows any escape method. The only way to get away from it is to prevent it. Since players don't know how to prevent it (and it's not difficult to prevent IC grabs) then they call it cheap.

Cheap is a good thing. chaddd is right, playing cheap to win a tournament is an awesome way to win, because you've overcome many other strategies and counter-strategies using a good technique.

Also: I really don't know why people complain when Wobbles is the only great IC player that uses it, lol.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
because us other good IC players feel that it is cheap and it does not show true skill, yes wobbles is a very good ICs player but i think he's lazy for just using the infinite, why not show you're real skill with the ICs

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
Maybe i havent played someone that is awesome with the infinite, but whenever i get grabbed by IC's i just push and move every button and stick on the controller til i'm free, which will usually get me out before the infinite starts or right when they mess up just a little bit... (and i agree with chaddd saying, if you dont want to get infinite-d... just spam stuff, gimp nana, or pick IC's... Especially the gimp nana part, its not too hard...)

TAK$

Smash Ace
because us other good IC players feel that it is cheap and it does not show true skill, yes wobbles is a very good ICs player but i think he's lazy for just using the infinite, why not show you're real skill with the ICs
to win, duh.

edit: easy way to beat it is to not got grabbed.

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
I'm a little undecided in this matter. yes, the infinite can be seen as lazy, but there are broken things in almost EVERY multiplayer game. The most annoying people are usually the ones complaining, not the abusers. they always use the complaint that it doesn't show any skill, but it DOES give you a chance to show YOUR skill by beating them. So step up to the challenge. Plus, the other player isn't always going to have perfect timing with the infinite. Since it's not really a guarenteed(sp?) KO, I wouldn't even consider it broken.

Courtofdoom

Smash Apprentice
I dislike infinites cuz they kind of ruin the fun of the game. With the ICs, Grab -> win. I get to watch two mountain climbers headbutt and pound away at my character for as long as my opponent wishes.

Other than that, they are just tactics to win. If you enter a tournament, you play to win so its understandable. But I'd prefer if people would win in a more entertaining way.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
oh god. anyone else play MvC2? they wouldnt have a problem with this.

anyway, that and mugen are the most broken games ever, but i think that this infinite isnt that bad. should it be banned? maybe. but not the bair chaingrab.
it is unfair, but why are fox players complainging about this? cause they want to win.
IC's arent perfect. theyre almost perfect.
as for me, i love my complex grab combos that could result in a chaingrab. its just looks less annoying.

and chad, if the falco doesnt fastfall that dair, i think you can shieldgrab him.

Ares726

Smash Ace
Chaddd is 100% correct. Get over it. ICs finally get a broken technique. It's about time! There's freakin' two of them! Watch this video from 3:48 to 4:07. Two characters should be able to do all kinds of grab infinites.

Hurray for the ICs and their great technique! Hurray for the Smash community at large having to step it up and play better so they don't get grabbed!

For the record, I don't even play IC. I have a friend that does though. I play Sheik. That's right, Sheik. The character that the ICs **** the hardest.

Hozart

Smash Journeyman
Dodge the grab?

Ban FD, and camp platforms and such. Guerilla warfare is good. The Ice Climber air maneuverability is kind of weak, and can be punished. They are demons on the ground, so retreat when the situation is looking a little unpredictable. In fact, I'm willing to go as far as to say that being on the ground is a bad habit against the Icys. Become efficient at breaking out of grabs very quickly and almost on reaction, a lot like good DI.

The arguments posited here are very good, and make logical sense, especially if you're playing to win the match/tournament and ignoring other forms of winning, such as winning respect.

One note might be that some players came to or stuck with smash because they saw no infinites, ignoring other fighters because of the frequency of infinites in those games as chaddd talks about.

Personal note: I'm too much of a scrub to do the infinite. I didn't even do the chain throws until I realized they were escapable (most anyway).

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
after playing with the infinite - its not as bad as it seems.

basically, smash the buttons, and unless youre at a high percentage <like at a killable percentage> then you will be able to get out before nana gets to you.

also the vast majority of infinite setups are too slow to be any good, as you can get out whilst being hit by a blizzard. the only good one is perfect timing so the infinite starts STRAIGHT away, and even that is dodgy.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
You cant NOT get grabbed no matter what you do. Have you ever seen a pro video where NOBODY grabs, no, because no matter what you do, youre gonna get grabbed.

Fumble

Smash Cadet
Infinite scmimfiniate, wobbles your a pioneer in the smash world. I give nothing but props to you. Not only have you added more life to the game of smash, but youve gotten random noobs complaining and crying. Your my hero----keep on wobblin'

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
Might I point out that, with enough button-mashing, you can get out before the first headbutt lands? I've seen it done. Might I also add that it's been proven (By....Omnigamer, I think?) that it's not a true infinite - each repitition gives the person being hit one more frame of not-being-hit time, where they can mash buttons to get out. There are no 1-on-1 infinites in this game. Fox drillshine? Smash DI up like a maniac. Maybe the grab to partner a-button-mash is infinite, but we aren't talking doubles here.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
Why is doing an infinite in a fighting game revolutionary? I'm confused.

Negative, I'm pretty sure a perfect infinite is unescapable. I've done it to a person to about 250% (before I stopped being an ******* :p), and they were mashing the whole time.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Whether it's an infinite isn't even really the point. It lasts from the moment it starts until you decide to KO somebody (provided you aren't trying to stall with it) so for all intents and purposes, it is an infinite. Or maybe you just want to call it the "zero to death on everybody in the game tilt grab combo?" I dunno, doesn't roll off the tongue.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it's an infinite, it cannot be escaped

fox's infinite drill shine only works on peach, zelda, and link, and DIing most of the time helps the fox, so all you can do is sit there and wait for the fox to finish or mess up

the ICs infinite grab resets the frame count for each damage in the grab added, for every 1% given, so many number of frames have been added prevent escape, it adds up as the percents go up

technically, they are 0-death combo's, but they are not escapable, there for called infinites (like wobbles said, it's easier to say infinite than whatever), but this somehow has been overlooked by mlg or something, because in the rules it specifically states that a method perform that prevents the opponent from escaping that results in a KO are banned, aren't both the infnite drill shine and the infinite grab violating that rule which causes the fox or IC who performed to suicide twice before continuing the match, but players do get away with it, i really think that's the big thing about it, mlg states that the methods are against the rules and will be enforced, but it isn't, why do you think MvC2 got nowhere? infinite galor

juganthestar

Smash Journeyman
I would say one way to get out of the wobble but i love it too much.
Best way to say it is this, dont get grabbed, mash the pink one, do anything, dont get grabbed with nana in place. IMO the infinite is what puts the ice on top of the water more, such as fox having shin, falco having shl , peach having an IMBA dsmash, and so on. Its only so fair

Smash Master
The difference is if you get hit with a downsmash you don't die

Hozart

Smash Journeyman
why do you think MvC2 got nowhere? infinite galor
2D Fighters here in the U.S. usually don't get that far unfortunately.

On another note, I've taken up an interest in how the infinite will shape this game and the tier list in the future. The Ice Climber grabs are now a much more serious matter to contend with, so players will have to play extra careful or cheap to win. I don't think the infinite will signal the end of smash, but there may be more people picking up the Ice Climbers.

juganthestar

Smash Journeyman
LOL **** right i made 2 people pik the Ice climbers yesterday thanks to the tourney xD
When people are more cautious they start being areful, then scared, then being scared makes them panic, then they do something stupid, then they DIE!! xD

mood4food77

Smash Hero
chu dat refuses to do the infinite, same with trail, meeps, and other very good IC players who are all better than wobbles, it's a stupid tactic, most IC players who use it get booed while using it, i hate the move too, it's cheap and requires no skill to use, almost anybody can figure out the time, it only takes like 10 minutes to learn it, even for people who don't use ICs, it doesn't show the real skill that it requires to use them

technomancer

Smash Champion
Without their insane grab combos the IC's would be bottom tier. Infinites are what make them top tier.

I don't really care about the infinite. Zomg cheap instant kill? Lol how about Ken combos? I mean seriously, who says that? You have 4 stocks, and if can you can gimp Nana (which is possible at any percent with every character, and as easy as say... getting a grab with IC's!), you're good for that stock. IC's are broken? Well no, cuz Wobbles doesn't win every tournament he goes to automatically, from what I can see.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Much better than me? You've never played me before. You have no basis for comparison. How do you know that Meep and Trail and the (strangely absent before now) hordes of skilled IC players are actually more skilled than I am?

And shouldn't the infinite's effect on my gameplay be MY concern, not yours? Sure, it's an intelligent warning to say, "if you rely on one tactic, your game will be shallow and easily defeated." I am not so easily beat, pal. Most of my game is played WITHOUT landing a grab, and you can ask anybody who has EVER played me if it's easy to kill my single ice climber.

If you want the cliffs note version of my post, here it is:

**** off.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
True... He's beaten me plenty of times with only one climber. In fact he's just about as good with one. Gives him more of an opportunity to concentrate on getting wave smashes and other flashy stuff in. Especially dangerous because people usually (wrongly) assume that with nana gone, the climbers are nerfed, and they don't play as hard.

theFalcoMasta

Smash Apprentice
same with trail, meeps, and other very good IC players who are all better than wobbles
^ LOL

trail and meep don't have tournament records that justify superior status over wobbles. get that **** out of here.

all 3 players are in the same league, at the very least.

Smash Master
Much better than me? You've never played me before. You have no basis for comparison. How do you know that Meep and Trail and the (strangely absent before now) hordes of skilled IC players are actually more skilled than I am?

And shouldn't the infinite's effect on my gameplay be MY concern, not yours? Sure, it's an intelligent warning to say, "if you rely on one tactic, your game will be shallow and easily defeated." I am not so easily beat, pal. Most of my game is played WITHOUT landing a grab, and you can ask anybody who has EVER played me if it's easy to kill my single ice climber.

If you want the cliffs note version of my post, here it is:

**** off.
Yo, wobbles, chill out. We all know that he doesn't know for a fact that Trail, Chu, and Meep are better than you. You have to admit, though, the infinte is cheap, and by cheap, I mean yielding results disproportionately grater than the required input skill. Also, from the matches on youtube of you vs. Eddresse and HugS, many of us assume that much of your game revolves around the infinite, because in those videos, it did. No johns, though, if someone can't avoid making four mistakes in one match with Nana living, then they should go main IC's.

chaddd

Smash Lord
I call BS!!!

First off, Wobbles is awesome for two reasons:

1. He's managed to piss so many people off for using something that everyone else is too much of a stoner to figure out that it's a GOOD WAY TO WIN. And better still? He's just as well known as ChuDat for doing so. Whoa, shawty.

2. He plays to win WHEN IT MATTERS. When you want to just have fun, then no infinite will be performed in friendly matches. When there's money on the line, you can bet your soul that Captain Jack will forever chain throw in the finals, Isai will chase you off the stage with the knee and U-air, all Fox's will be shining-to-death 0% opponents, and Peaches and Marths will be abusing the Smash attack for the hopeful 0-Death attack. Stop pretending like the Ice Climbers infinite is lamer than anything else, while still trying to defend the rest of the game's integrity.

Hypocrisy is awesome when it's performed while still completely unaware of it's presence.

Top Bottom