• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beating a pro Mk :)

Gnes

Smash Master
Even with a laptop i dont get on enough...

Dair doesn't beating shuttle loop completely depends on the MK's usage of the move and its trajectory...Personally i dont risk anymore but to each his on...

If meta shuttles on to stage u can do a quick double jump and dair him from above and your choice of a finisher dependent on their D.I.

I dont see how u can SG MK alot considering if he spaces himself correctly kirby's grab range isnt large enough to get him...Also considering Kirby has a small shield and MK is excellent at shield pressure shielding too much leads into quite a bit of risk.

edit:Inui video makes me laugh...I wish top MK's in Texas played like that :)

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
i've been developing a way to increase Kirby's grab range against characters with large range like marth and MK, while running quickly press shield and Z or A. The input is almost instantaneous but what happens is Kirby's shields flash then he goes into running grab.

What does this mean? more power shields, if u power shield an attack that has long range quickly pressing grab to cancel the shield keeps ur momentum so u can make up the extra ground u need while getting the superarmor frames from the grab. its a great way to get lots more grabs against Marth's and MK's. If u dont like to grab to much this prob won't help u much but for me lol i'm a grab *****, so its amazing.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
i've been developing
That statement made me think you were in a laboratory or something

So I GIMPed a terrible-looking picture of Gonzo in a lab coat and goggles

ANYWAY, you're saying that you can powershield while running, and then you let go and hit Z or A to grab, and you do a dashgrab after shielding?

O_o

if so that sounds useful

if not, it's still useful, running->shield->grab is something I do quite often...but I didn't know you could dashgrab immediately after shielding

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
LMAO good **** asdioh, but yeah u can do the running grab out of shield, u just gotta make sure ur running and press shield to get the power shield, otherwise u'll get hit. This also means u can grab MK out of his tornado, Marth out of his Fair or his Dtilt or his overB. I practiced this with a comp Marth for 99 stocks yesterday, and i might again today.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
lol, i try, anywho i experimented against MK in my lab coat lol and found that instead of doing the dashgrab, do the reverse momentum grab. U know the one where u slide but reverse grab, it helps when ur opponent is close to u.
actually youll see many olimar players using that technique as their range is much farther than ours. Im surprised every time i get grabbed by them lol

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wall of text warning!

Why can't I do this ;_;

oh that's right... wifi. >_>
That might not be all there is to it. I'm going to go practice this with Scribble later today because while out of a dozen games I managed to do it about 20 times the day I posted that, I couldn't get it to work at all yesterday...

lol, i try, anywho i experimented against MK in my lab coat lol and found that instead of doing the dashgrab, do the reverse momentum grab. U know the one where u slide but reverse grab, it helps when ur opponent is close to u.
Heh, yeah, I've found doing that can be really useful. Course, I hate it when it's done to me >.<

Pretty sure Dair only beats shuttle loop if you hit a certain part of MK's animation. I feel like if MK positions himself correctly you should both hit each other, which is really a victory for MK unless you get a spike out of it.

Also rock on a recovering MK is very good (as it is against most opponents) but keep in mind MK can use a lot more than shuttle loop to recover; all 4 of his B moves can do it.

Finally, the fact that you said bair is one of your best tools, leads me to believe that this MK does not use grounded shuttle loops. If he does, kirby cannot approach with bair or you will lose every time. shuttle loop's initial hit absolutley shuts down bair. and yea, shuttle loop beats shieldgrab too because MK is in the air when the attack ends.

bair is still useful in some situations though, just not really as an approach.
Looking over what I wrote, I feel I didn't really explain myself very well, and having played this matchup another 40 or so times yesterday, I feel the need to revise some things.

Dair beats out SL as long as you position yourself so that the front of the arc doesn't touch you. If it does, then you trade hits (though you don't go flying very far), which can be useful A) offstage: It frustrates your opponent and causes them to expend more jumps. No, you aren't going to gimp MK, and that's not what I'm getting at, but it is easier to hit a recovering MK with fewer jumps than one who's not worried about falling offastage. B) On BF, Lylat, or any other stage where the Dair will spike them into a platform and you can attempt to follow up with one of your faster moves (I usually do Bair or FFed Nair>something).

Also, I do make it sound like I'm talking about Bair approaches, don't I? (Actually, as good as Bair is for this, I still end up using it less than I do on most characters.) Heh, I usually bait the MK into approaching me actually, then punish with either throws (I use these the most. Dthrow is actually my new savior in this matchup), Bair, Ftilt, or Fsmash, depending on the approach (Or shield if I can't punish).
Some ways to bait attacks/approaches:
-run towards, then away (mixing it up with DAs from time to time so they don't see it coming).
-random SHs, and some SHs towards them, with a AD'd SH back (mixing in some BAirs to keep them guessing).
-Running shieldgrabs (I'm not sure if wat I mean is what Gonzo means or not... I just run at them, shield, then grab though I'm always holding the same direction (not sure if that changes anything).).
-Random FFed Nairs (ACed) aimed at nothing (Doesn't work against the MK I play now, but some people don't seem to know it ACs, or forget, and run straight into the next attack.).
-Random FC (people tend to run at you after shielding the shockwave, just make sure you're far enough away that you aren't giving away free damage.).
-Random Inhales (Bad idea, but it sometimes work. Inhale to make them approach, then stop as they come and hurt them.).

Actually... the more I type the more I feel it's situation sensitive and that really the only good way to show this would be to record a few matches, so I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Here's a couple more things though. It seems under 40%, there is nothing MK can do to punish Dthrow>Utilt. Yeah, it's not the best tactic, but it seems to work, especially since a MK that doesn't know better might try to FF a Dair after the Utilt, at which point they hit my shield and get another Dthrow>Utilt (Just remember to stop Utilting after the second (or 40%, whichever comes first, or you'll get Daired. After that point just shield.). Even after that point, Dair still puts MK in a bad spot, for despite what I first thought, onstage it is good to have MK above you, as his only ways to hurt you can all be shieldgrabbed (with the exception of DC, which gets punished, and Tornado, which gets Baired/Fsmashed).

Oh, and speaking of tornado, apparently there's a way to inhale MK out of it, but I've only managed it once or twice, so I wouldn't suggest trying it. (Inhale's really not as bad as you might think here, just VERY situational.)

Oh, what I said about rock edgeguarding/rock on SL in this thread: Ignore it. I'm ********. It works a lot better on paper than in the match... (It's still better than MK's DownB though :laugh: )

Oh, also, if you see MK Dtilt, know that Fsmash can either beat it or trade hits, depending on the spacing.

Back to throws for a second. If you shield a Dsmash, hit grab. Your grab is fast enough that there really isn't much he can do about it. Also, Kirby's grab is faster than MK's. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

****it... there was more I had to say, but I don't remember what anymore...

T-nuts

Smash Ace
ok fromundaman seeing your full explanation, i completely agree with you. My best friend plays MK and I play MK by far more than I play any other character, but your expansion on your ideas shows that you know what you are talking about.

Basically I agree with your post

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Is that just the running pivot grab?

Running.... then hit backwards+Z?

Or am I missing some super special secret technique?

Oh, and speaking of tornado, apparently there's a way to inhale MK out of it, but I've only managed it once or twice, so I wouldn't suggest trying it. (Inhale's really not as bad as you might think here, just VERY situational.)

Oh, what I said about rock edgeguarding/rock on SL in this thread: Ignore it. I'm ********. It works a lot better on paper than in the match... (It's still better than MK's DownB though :laugh: )
I Inhale tornadoes pretty frequently....it's easiest to do when you're falling down, but also when the Tornado is fresh. I think I almost always take superarmor damage from it though. Tornado is a weird move though, so it's hard to tell when it will work. Inhale's a weird move too...

Stone edgeguard on Shuttle Loop really does work, but you have to read him pretty well and be up HIGH.

I play MK by far more than I play any other character after Kirby
fixed, I hope.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
yeah its just a normal pivot grab but u can do the pivot grab out of a cancelled shield, its more difficult cuz u'll tend to do it so fast that u'll roll instead. but after a few tries u should get it.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
fixed, I hope.
Oh haha i meant i play AGAINST meta more than any other character. sorry for the confusion.

Also gonzo that dash grab out of shield sounds pretty good, im gonna have to try that. good contribution man.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Bair beats out the tornado provided you aim it at the top of MK's body, or go higher and FF it (since it has a bigger range than the tornado apparently. Doesn't work on the bottom of him though.).
Turns out I am full of ****. After much testing, it turns out Bair can clank with tornado, but never beat it. What I was doing was jumping and aiming at the very of MK, and if MK is moving towards you, it hits him before the tornado can hit you.
Just to be clear, you can hit MK out with a Bair if aimed correctly and if MK comes at you (can't do it if the tornado isn't moving towards you.), but that's because it never actually connects with the tornado hitbox.

Also, I was going to get a video of this matchup, but I played like absolute **** today, so meh.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Kirby can gimp metaknight.

You can dair a recovering shuttle loop and then footstool them which they can't recover from. I do it to metaknights all the time. Obviously when they figure out it can be done they just recover up high though.

edit: But if they do recover from below with an up b you should go for the dair to footstool everytime. It's very much worth the risk to gimp a metaknight.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
That happened to me maybe once, and after that point I'd much rather use drill to recover than shuttle loop. IMO I feel it is a better attack than a recovery, except at odd angles. And the d-air wont hit unless the hit box is already out before the shuttle loop, but as far as I can remember its not unsafe to attempt anyway.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
Kirby can gimp metaknight.

You can dair a recovering shuttle loop and then footstool them which they can't recover from. I do it to metaknights all the time. Obviously when they figure out it can be done they just recover up high though.

edit: But if they do recover from below with an up b you should go for the dair to footstool everytime. It's very much worth the risk to gimp a metaknight.
oh yeah. ill take 9 damage from that suttle loop if i can take his whole stock.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That happened to me maybe once, and after that point I'd much rather use drill to recover than shuttle loop. IMO I feel it is a better attack than a recovery, except at odd angles. And the d-air wont hit unless the hit box is already out before the shuttle loop, but as far as I can remember its not unsafe to attempt anyway.
Not to mention that you ended up DIing up through my Dair and footstooling me a few times (I forget if it was during SL or not, but it sucked...)

Now I feel better about myself.

I bet MK's Bair can beat Kirbynado >_>
Well, it still works fairly well against the tornado (again, I was beating it very consistently that other day, but it doesn't have higher priority).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
True, but since it requires MK to move torwards Kirby, the MK could just stop approaching with tornado and negate that edge.

Top Bottom