• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BC Stats Smasfest @ SFU Surrey: TBA

unityole

Smash Lord
as of now im looking at the stats

stats the same but should we seperate the standings? since we never will be able to have enough time on a thursday unless everyone comes by noon. the amount of games played between PR players and non PR players are close to none. its obvious the PR players would take their matches but then again no interaction means it will be hard for others to improve.

too much interaction between PR and none PR would mess up stats, opinion plz

unityole

Smash Lord
that looked like what we have here but they dont have stats, only wins / loss and like 2-3 groups max. we can easily get number of smashers over 20 if everyone would just show up.

but the fact remains that we dont have enough time. theres also the fact that some people SCOTT for example, does not wish to be in stats, although i put him in it anyway. he'll be fine with players outside of PR but if himself was in PR, he probably wouldnt want to play for stats. though scott did say he prefer brawl/64 over melee.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
The thing is: I DO BRING MY DISC! The melee community population in BC just surpasses the brawl community population... :(
It doesn't. Only this board's community does. Don't wait for these guys. Just get in there, turn on the Wii, play Brawl. People will come by as their breaks start =P

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
as of now im looking at the stats

stats the same but should we seperate the standings? since we never will be able to have enough time on a thursday unless everyone comes by noon. the amount of games played between PR players and non PR players are close to none. its obvious the PR players would take their matches but then again no interaction means it will be hard for others to improve.

too much interaction between PR and none PR would mess up stats, opinion plz
I'd say just put up the stats normally. Even if some select people are doing bad, the stats should say exactly why they're doing bad (ie who they lost to).

actually, i don't really know what to do.. this is messed up :dizzy:

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
The newer players playing people around their own level rather than high PR players is more benefitial to them getting better in the end anyway.

There's no point sending them in against a smart Falco (tony,eric,10 others in BC lol) when they'll just get ***** by them and won't get through even a lazer or learn to approach etc. If they can't WD OOS, they better start against lower level players until they all start getting it and working their way up. etc

Get@Will

Smash Champion
I only feel that it's beneficial when I'm playing against opponents who can blatantly tell me what I'm doing wrong. Most of the time, beginners won't be able to do that.

We sometimes just want to get some advice from more experienced players. Whether it be how to edgeguard, how to punish spot dodges, or just plain "get some tech skillz nub cakez", hearing those words coming from the mouth of a pro feels more sensible. Besides, how would we deal with those smarter, better players if we ourselves never played against one to at least get a grasp of what it's like?

After that, yeah, we can go back to playing against players our levels and practicing what the higher level players said. But if we never play against better players, we probably won't know what to improve on and keep playing at the levels that we're at now.

Just my 2 cents.

haha good games today,
Will, you did in our first round... before i started up airing you like mad hahha.
Ryan yo, you must've hit me with like 235986390 of those up airs LOL. Good ****

unityole

Smash Lord
If there's any smash going on in the next week, let me know. I'm gonna be really bored, and I need to find a way to pass some time. =3

:005:
thanks for the advice james and will, really helped.
i also spoke with tony about this topic, he had the same idea as james, also due to the fact that he rather play with good players. heres what im going to do:

when stats, im going to group the PR players together, ie top 8 to top 12 players into 2-3 groups. newcomers will be within their own 1-2 group (s), but occasionally i will have a bracket say maybe 16 players and i'll have the best from the newcomers/ lower skilled players into bracket and have them play versus the elite, that way problem should be solved?

hopefully for the sake of this community, PR elites should 100% give advice to the others after you ***** them, just like how Will suggested in his post. show them the smallest thing adds up to make a big difference. ( I am expecting this from ALL the PR players, for all those bling bling i spent into hosting tournies, please give out advices from your end )

the NEXT smashfest with STATS will be at SFU Surrey Dec 17th. unless we can somehow get more than 6 players to SFU Surrey next thursday, or else its a no go.

unityole

Smash Lord
double post, melee stats will be up around 6pm saturday, or maybe later
im using new format of excel instead of just html, takes a lil bit time to make template and setups.

as previously stated i will leave stats the way it is, but standings will be seperated into 2 groups, PR and none PR

unityole

Smash Lord
tripple post, btw i forgot to mention this to the others, but there will be cash prizes at the end when the 2010 "smash league" is over

cash prizes will be given to players:
- most wins/tourney wins (1st 2nd, maybe 3rd)
- most improved (most likely for none PR)
- highest attendance (including showing up early, 1pm-2pm)

and possibly few more

as of now
Tony: $4
Ryan: $2
Tiep: $1

Patooty

Smash Ace
I'll gladly give genuine advice to a developing player who I think is actively trying to get better, and who would receive the advice well. Like this is a good example of someone I would want to help:

blah blah blah about getting better
(dont want to make my post enormous with a big post-quote)
I don't play a technical game, so most of my advice wont be to tell you to practice doing certain things better unless I really think it's needed; I'll try to give advice based on your current skillset. Also, I don't like telling people what to do after a match, so if you want advice, you're wayy more likely to get it if you ask for it... If I give you bs advice, that means I didn't wanna give you advice lolllllll

If they can't WD OOS, they better start against lower level players until they all start getting it and working their way up. etc
I can't do that lol....

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
thanks for the advice james and will, really helped.
i also spoke with tony about this topic, he had the same idea as james, also due to the fact that he rather play with good players. heres what im going to do:

when stats, im going to group the PR players together, ie top 8 to top 12 players into 2-3 groups. newcomers will be within their own 1-2 group (s), but occasionally i will have a bracket say maybe 16 players and i'll have the best from the newcomers/ lower skilled players into bracket and have them play versus the elite, that way problem should be solved?

hopefully for the sake of this community, PR elites should 100% give advice to the others after you ***** them, just like how Will suggested in his post. show them the smallest thing adds up to make a big difference. ( I am expecting this from ALL the PR players, for all those bling bling i spent into hosting tournies, please give out advices from your end )

the NEXT smashfest with STATS will be at SFU Surrey Dec 17th. unless we can somehow get more than 6 players to SFU Surrey next thursday, or else its a no go.
I'm not on the PR, I don't have to give advice. Not like I did in the first place anyway LOL

Top Bottom